Gillette’s wonderfully woke new commercial

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
P&G's share price over the last five years and more doesn't indicate a failing company to me, according to Google it's been a pretty steady rise since records began.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=proctor+and+gamble+share+price&oq=proctor+and+gamble+share+price

Turn the graph to 'max'.
This is the problem right here, evaluating a company by shareholder value.

Gillette, an important division of P&G, was losing personal grooming market share to Dollar Shaving Club and Harry’s. They reversed this trend, not through a better product, but through marketing virtue signaling, allowing them to completely circumvent the more problematic sustainability and gender pricing of their products.

Boeing prioritized shareholder value, and two of their planes fell out of the sky.

Our society was winning the war against cigarettes and now you have a generation getting hooked to nicotine through vaping.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'll say the same thing I said about the first Gillette concerns.. Who gives a fuck? How can a group of people have such an emotional reaction to razor advertising? Then I saw the posters who were complaining... Makes sense. Typical "feels" posters.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I'll say the same thing I said about the first Gillette concerns.. Who gives a fuck? How can a group of people have such an emotional reaction to razor advertising? Then I saw the posters who were complaining... Makes sense. Typical "feels" posters.

You do know that, like Gillette does with their razor blades, conservatives have to manufacture their outrage. Ugly is always here hard at work stocking up on outrage after outrage, like a hard working employee stocking the shelves for the customers. The best part is that he's an unpaid employee and conservatives love free labor expended for their cause.

Outrage, the no-nutrition conservative snack food!

Reactions: Victorian Gray
Nov 8, 2012
They reversed this trend, not through a better product, but through marketing virtue signaling, allowing them to completely circumvent the more problematic sustainability and gender pricing of their products.

Mind showing me where they "reversed this trend"? searching around for financial figures, but all I see is where the business is still overall doing well (P&G as a whole) - organic sales of Gillette has been down for quite some time.

Nov 8, 2012
You answered your own question. Failing company. There's a wave of "wokeness" right now, especially among youth. They're marketing to it. If their traditional market perhaps doesn't lean all that "woke" and it's been eroding, try another market. A younger one, especially. No matter whether it's cigarettes or razor brands, they always have to hook the next generation.

Part of that "wokeness" is also not shaving lol. So again, can't say that is the smartest marketing ploy.

As much as we want to point and laugh at the stupid "woke" millennials - I would argue that those are simply the stupid ones you see blabbering on Twitter. Plenty of millenials like myself do magical things in life like "become employed" and "not get a degree in gender studies". We may seem like a small group - but that's because we don't spend our time blogging and sitting in Starbucks on social media all day.

P&G's share price over the last five years and more doesn't indicate a failing company to me, according to Google it's been a pretty steady rise since records began.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=proctor+and+gamble+share+price&oq=proctor+and+gamble+share+price

Turn the graph to 'max'.

P&G is MASSIVE... and I do mean FUCKING MASSIVE. With the number of brands under their belt, if one of their brands/divisions is falling that doesn't mean the company as a whole is.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Mind showing me where they "reversed this trend"? searching around for financial figures, but all I see is where the business is still overall doing well (P&G as a whole) - organic sales of Gillette has been down for quite some time.
P&G did a press release about a month ago that personal grooming sales are stabilizing. About a year or two ago, Forbes or Wall Street Journal ran an article that Gillette was losing market share to Harry’s and Dollar Shaving Club, hence the social media campaign.

Nov 8, 2012
Bump....

P&G had recently reported their quarterly results. Organic sales growth was up 5% total. All of their products sold better.

Oh WAIT! EXCEPT for Gillette. Hahahaha.

The grooming segment, which includes Gillette razors and Braun electric shavers, saw organic sales drop by 1 percent. P&G noted that organic sales for the wet shave business were flat while grooming appliances decreased mid-single digits because of negative mix impacts from the disproportionate growth of mid-tier products.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinn...g-gaining-sales-momentum-earnings-report.html

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Bump....

P&G had recently reported their quarterly results. Organic sales growth was up 5% total. All of their products sold better.

I'm gonna go ahead and say they're not too worried

"Procter & Gamble reported a profit of $2.745 billion for the three-month period that ended in March, an increase of 9 percent over $2.511 billion for the same quarter the previous year."

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Bump....

I still love and appreciate the commercial.
Sometimes, even corporations are willing to put doing the right thing before making a buck.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I still love and appreciate the commercial.
Sometimes, even corporations are willing to put doing the right thing before making a buck.
Except in this case the corporation virtue signaled to reverse a trend of losing market share, and the sales data suggests it didn’t work. I appreciate the commercial as a case study of what not to do.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Trrrrrrigggggggerrrrrrred connnnnnnnnsssssserrrrrrrvatttttttivesßsss trrrrumppppttttarrrrrrrdsssssss

Lets take a second to appreciate whats going on here..
Gillette : Be a decent human being please.
Conservatives : DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO SNOWFLAKE LIBS
Libs : Shrugs.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Trrrrrrigggggggerrrrrrred connnnnnnnnsssssserrrrrrrvatttttttivesßsss trrrrumppppttttarrrrrrrdsssssss

Lets take a second to appreciate whats going on here..
Gillette : Be a decent human being please.
Libs : Shrugs.
Gillette: We’re losing shaving market share and Millenials are flocking to lower cost online alternatives. We could lower our prices, but then how do we get customers to purchase our overpriced products.

Gillette Marketing: We could virtue signal. Our market research tells us Millenials love brands that stand for SOMETHING!

Liberals: So woke, so brave. Toxic masculinity, so toxic.

Conservatives: These gender stereotypes are an outrage.

Everyone else: Shrugs

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I switched to Dollar Shave Club 2 years ago and I’m not coming back.

Also, not sure how active or successful this campaign really was—I consume enough TV and streaming media and never ONCE saw any of these ads outside of shares on social media. Seems like this was a “fake” campaign just to get viral shares and people talking about being woke?? Weird.

That said, I wouldn’t presume to teach P&G about what is/isn’t effective marketing, since they essentially wrote the book.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Bump....

In your own quote:
"P&G noted that organic sales for the wet shave business were flat while grooming appliances decreased mid-single digits because of negative mix impacts from the disproportionate growth of mid-tier products."
Gillette virtue signaled and was flat, Braun didn't virtue signal and had sales fall.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Gillette: We’re losing shaving market share and Millenials are flocking to lower cost online alternatives. We could lower our prices, but then how do we get customers to purchase our overpriced products.

Gillette Marketing: We could virtue signal. Our market research tells us Millenials love brands that stand for SOMETHING!

Based on the what they are reporting, Braun sold lower priced products and sales fell, while Gillette sales were flat. So you can argue that Gillette's marketing strategy was better than cutting prices.
I am not a razor guy, but when Gillette marketing is able to command around $1 per shave when you can get an equivalent generic experience for pennies elsewhere, I'd say they are doing a lot of things right.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
I'd call it 'there's a sucker born every minute'. If I went back to a blade, I'd go with Harry's or Dollar. When I did use Gillette, I actually got better mileage out of their disposables vs buying their pricey fusion stuff. I rarely pay attention to any commercials.

Based on the what they are reporting, Braun sold lower priced products and sales fell, while Gillette sales were flat. So you can argue that Gillette's marketing strategy was better than cutting prices.
I am not a razor guy, but when Gillette marketing is able to command around $1 per shave when you can get an equivalent generic experience for pennies elsewhere, I'd say they are doing a lot of things right.

Jan 25, 2011
Pretty much every manufacturer of male grooming supplies is down. Beards are back, there's a huge number of online direct delivery providers now etc... Hell Bic was down over 5% last year for blades etc...

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with that ad.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Reactions: brycejones