Gillette’s wonderfully woke new commercial

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
I just love retards like you - trying to find whatever article you can to fit your agenda at all times.

Anyone with half a brain in the business world understands what I just said in my last post - Financials are something that is reported on a quarterly basis. In addition... the ad is a fucking week old. Do you buy your razorblades every week? No? Ok then dr. dipshit - point proven.

You really are a special kind of moron. Yes, because you don't do that constantly...

Financials are different from sales figures that they will monitor on at least a week by week basis. Holy shit, talk about half a brain. We've got a captain of industry here though, let's all bow to the master of business, who apparently doesn't actually know jack fucking shit about how a business operates. Well indeed, you did prove your point that you deserve a doctorate in being a dipshit.

I have to laugh at your posts in here, when you made a thread raging about how none of your family wants to go out to eat with you and talk and I pointed out then that based on your posts, its not difficult to figure out why. And it has fucking nothing to do with smartphones or anything else that you were raging and trying to blame it on, its because you're a fucking dumbshit asshole that no one takes seriously because you show you don't know what the fuck you're talking about but you want people to take your bullshit opinions as seriously as people who's literal fucking business it is. The people that I know in real life that act like that, yeah, people don't fucking hang out with them either and conversations die out any time they try to insert themselves because it will go nowhere as you just turn into a fucking frothing at the mouth moron when things don't fit how you think they should be.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The only thing new about this kind of advertising strategy is calling it virtue signaling. Otherwise, it's been around since long before Coca-Cola told us we should buy the whole world a Coke.

Virtue signaling is not new in marketing.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The only thing new about this kind of advertising strategy is calling it virtue signaling. Otherwise, it's been around since long before Coca-Cola told us we should buy the whole world a Coke.
I imagine we would be having a very different conversation if Coca-Cola sold Coke as a tonic to cure toxic masculinity. Look at how that Crystal Pepsi ad turned out.

Nov 8, 2012
Gillette’s wonderfully woke marketing department at it again

Lol tell me that is a fake account? It's gotta be right? Gillette is the male brand, Venus is the female - I figure they wouldn't make a Twitter called "Gillette Venus" ?

Either way that's hilarious. Plus, if they are all about women empowerment, shouldn't they be advocating for NOT conforming to MALE PATRIARCHY STANDARDS and be for not shaving? Hehehehe ohhh the irony.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'm blind I'm blind, who in Hell want to see that? Marketing has gone out of their freaking minds. :eek:o_O I'm I the only person who feel a strong urge to vomit?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Right below the beluga whale is a tweet about Jazz Jennings. We get it Gillette, you’re woke.
Lol tell me that is a fake account? It's gotta be right? Gillette is the male brand, Venus is the female - I figure they wouldn't make a Twitter called "Gillette Venus" ?

Either way that's hilarious. Plus, if they are all about women empowerment, shouldn't they be advocating for NOT conforming to MALE PATRIARCHY STANDARDS and be for not shaving? Hehehehe ohhh the irony.

It’s a real account. Right below the beached whale is a tweet about Jazz Jennings. #sowoke

Nov 8, 2012
Honestly at this point I just don't get it. What is P&G trying to do here? Create uproar for free marketing?

I honestly can't say it's working. The fact is that the brand has been dying for the last few years. People are tired and fed up with $30 refill cartridges. This is why double edge/ manual razers have made a huge comeback, and it's also why dollar shave club has carved out another part of the market. The fact is the majority of consumers don't give a shit if you do pro women commercials or cheerlead other controversies... People just want the best products at the lowest prices.

Seems like desperate pleas from a dying brand. If instead of making stupid marketing ploys they focused on lowering their prices they might still be a player... Obviously that isn't happening and they are doubling down on the stupid pill.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
There would be fits of rage if the body positivity movement also included representation from the other end of the spectrum and Gillette were celebrating anorexia and bulimia by showing a 70 lb girl that is nothing but bones getting out there and slaying the day. Celebrating fatness by Gillette, Sports Illustrated, etc is just as bad as promoting sticking fingers down your throat to vomit up the meal you just ate. Neither one is healthy and companies should feel ashamed for trying to normalize it.

Reactions: Atreus21
Nov 8, 2012
There would be fits of rage if the body positivity movement also included representation from the other end of the spectrum and Gillette were celebrating anorexia and bulimia by showing a 70 lb girl that is nothing but bones getting out there and slaying the day. Celebrating fatness by Gillette, Sports Illustrated, etc is just as bad as promoting sticking fingers down your throat to vomit up the meal you just ate. Neither one is healthy and companies should feel ashamed for trying to normalize it.
Plus, where are they advocating for fat men?

Shouldn't they also be on their side and telling skinny chicks to date them otherwise you're oppressing fat men?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
D3VIFEXWkAAVL48.jpg

this response sums up my thoughts

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Honestly at this point I just don't get it. What is P&G trying to do here? Create uproar for free marketing?

I honestly can't say it's working. The fact is that the brand has been dying for the last few years. People are tired and fed up with $30 refill cartridges. This is why double edge/ manual razers have made a huge comeback, and it's also why dollar shave club has carved out another part of the market. The fact is the majority of consumers don't give a shit if you do pro women commercials or cheerlead other controversies... People just want the best products at the lowest prices.

Seems like desperate pleas from a dying brand. If instead of making stupid marketing ploys they focused on lowering their prices they might still be a player... Obviously that isn't happening and they are doubling down on the stupid pill.

A completely out of touch management decides they need to go after millineals, and an equally out of touch marketing department thinks millennials share their values without question. The result is a company thinking that attacking men, promoting obesity, and celebrating all things transgender sells razors for some reason.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Oh no a fat person. Let’s all make fun of her and pretend she is not a real person.

If Gillette tweeted this girl saying let’s go slay the day would you say that is a responsible way to sell razors and is just promoting a healthy body positive image for young women?

XpaVXTKVqX.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If Gillette tweeted this girl saying let’s go slay the day would you say that is a responsible way to sell razors and is just promoting a healthy body positive image for young women?

XpaVXTKVqX.jpg
Good God when is the last time she ate?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
D3VIFEXWkAAVL48.jpg

this response sums up my thoughts

As far as not normalizing obesity, it's too late because that's the normal American size now. I would say quit using skinny people in advertising, stick to thick because that's where we are headed.

Truth in advertising. :D

Reactions: TheVrolok

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Maybe you need to find a more productive way to occupy your time? Neither the heavier person or the skinnier person are going to fundamentally change their ways because "some guy on the Internet" made fun of them (or pretended to be concerned about women's welfare), but what the damage that people like you do is to set them more deeply into their rut for example.

Yes, a healthcare professional would likely (and likely correctly) take issue with the BMI of either person, but for example weight issues that are a symptom of mental issues are not going to be helped by public shaming (look up comfort eating for example). You don't go walking into every bar or fast food restaurant you pass to shame everyone in there for eating unhealthily, or stalk the supermarkets to find anyone with a high sugar/fat/processed product in their trolley to shame them either (unless you're working on your graduation to Super Arsehole). People do unhealthy shit all the time; I'm correcting my back posture while I'm typing this.

Peoples' own health is their own fucking business unless they ask you for an opinion.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

You answered your own question. Failing company. There's a wave of "wokeness" right now, especially among youth. They're marketing to it. If their traditional market perhaps doesn't lean all that "woke" and it's been eroding, try another market. A younger one, especially. No matter whether it's cigarettes or razor brands, they always have to hook the next generation.