Gigabyte Brix users out there?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John Chapman

Nov 1, 2016
I've had the Brix GB-BXi7-4500 for about 3 months now, not cheap but I love it as a download box independent of my main systems.

I liked my BeeBox but it was so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've been running a number (3, with 1 spare) J1900 Brix units. I think mine came with F6 BIOS. Flash to F7, installed Win7 64-bit SP1 on the first half of my Intel 320 Series 300GB SSD, and then messed with various Linux distros in the other half of the SSD. Finally, once the F8 (Win10 fix) BIOS was released, I flashed that F8 BIOS, and then disabled "C state reporting to OS" in the BIOS, and installed Linux Mint 17.3 Mate 64-bit, and now it doesn't freeze anymore when booted to Linux, and reboots from Linux properly. (Used to have to force power-off when rebooting from Linux.)

Using an 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM from GSkill, the CAS9 version, not the CAS11 version, I think.

hoopla

Sep 2, 2021
I can confirm with the above poster having purchased a Brix last week.

With the BIOS version out of the box you can only install memory into the upper DIMM slot otherwise you don't get any display output.

I updated the firmware to revision F5 and can confirm that afterwards installing RAM into both DIMM slots worked.

As of now my Brix is up and running and lightning fast..
I know this is an old post, but thanks for posting. I tried the ram in upper slot and it worked for me on 2 units that were dead on arrival. I might not update the bios, seeing the previous posts but one unit was on F7 and one on F6. I hope others find this thread as info about this is very sparse on the internet.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I know this is an old post, but thanks for posting. I tried the ram in upper slot and it worked for me on 2 units that were dead on arrival. I might not update the bios, seeing the previous posts but one unit was on F7 and one on F6. I hope others find this thread as info about this is very sparse on the internet.

I'm curious if this is just HDMI out or also MiniDisplayPort output. I remember on a few of them, I had to plug both in & swap between monitors to get them to work & I think I upgraded the BIOS version after that to fix it. These are great little machines, I've installed hundreds of them! Mostly switched over to the HP Mini Z2 series (currently on the G5 line) for business clients, although they are pricier.