fefinde

Nov 17, 2018
Hi, thanks for your attention! I'm a total beginner at networking, having only ever set up a lan on windows xp using a crossover cable hehe.

I currently have two computers connected to the same router via a wired connection and can't figure out how to get them to connect to to each other for a remote destop connection using nomachine. I also am unable to see shared folders from one or either of the computers.

I have renamed both the computers and assigned them both to a new work group of the same name. SERVER

It is configured as a private network, with network discovery and file sharing turned on.

using ping, one computer is able to see the other with 0ms latency.
UPNP is enabled on the router.

Thanks for any help!

fefinde

Nov 17, 2018
Thanks for the help! All the settings are already configured as listed in the link you provided, and still I am unable to connect.

fefinde

Nov 17, 2018
In no machine, I am taking the IP from the target machine and trying to connect to that. I get "authentication failed" if I try to connect through the local IP on the router, but I am able to connect over the external internet IP. The computers can see each other, but I have an authentication failure when I connect with username and password over lan. Also if I try to share folders on either computer they are not visible from the other as far as I can tell.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Tested the software before.

NoMachine uses Windows built-in users for authentication.

I re-downloaded and re-installed the software and just tested again on my local LAN and it worked perfectly.

Although it complained about fingerprint or something. Ignore the warning and connect anyway, entered Windows username/password and it's done.

==

You should modify thread title that it's regarding NoMachine remote desktop, not regarding Windows 10 Gigabit LAN.

==

Also make sure your Windows 10 machines are same version (let's say both are April 2018 Update or both are Oct 2018 Update), you should have known that HomeGroup networking has been removed by Microsoft, right?

Last edited:

fefinde

Nov 17, 2018
This is a general problem with my network applicable to more than just connecting with no machine. Windows versions are the same. I am unable to connect doing the same actions that you cite here.

I am also unable to share files across the lan. One clue: In settings, network status, view your network properties: my lan connections are all listed as "not operational"

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Networks Status is "non operational"?

Click Network Reset in Network Status and see if it fixed the problem.

Also make sure your Network Profile is not Public. If it's Public, change it to Private through Network, Status, Change connection properties.

Last edited: