Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000
Originally posted by: videopho
The PC version is a Ubisoft's afterthought to rip-off pc gamers.

How uninformed you are.

The reason the PC version came out months after the consoles is that the PC version of GRAW2 was custom made, with different maps and such.

Originally posted by: gamespot
The PC version of GRAW 2 is custom-built for the platform

Ass.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: MyStupidMouth
Meh the 360 demo was way better. gonna pass for now.

That's where I'm playing, 360, not even at my semi-kickbutt rig.
I've learned my lesson from the original pc's GRAW and I'm not going to make my mistake twice.
The 360's version is simply awesome!

i bought it... and im enjoying it! this is my first take at the ghost recon series and I like it so far.. not exactly what I was expecting but i like it... im a big far cry, crysis, hl2 fan..

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: fjorner

How uninformed you are.

The reason the PC version came out months after the consoles is that the PC version of GRAW2 was custom made, with different maps and such.

[/quote]

Hey I meant the original GRAW, not GRAW2

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
GRAW 1 was great on PC. Only "rushed" aspect was the lack of weapons. Think there were a total of ~6 main weapons to choose from. More than enough for variety's sake, but compared to Rainbow 6 one to three (Vegas is a joke), that's just not much at all.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: kainlongshot
I liked GRAW1 in concept. It was a great game in my opinion and the difficulty I think is justified in a way because of its realism. However I did not like the fact of how the game played. No matter how good you are, no matter how well trained at coverage, troop coordination, etc. you are going to get shot and more than likely one of your team mates is going to bite the dust, worst it could be you buying the farm instead. Then what? You memorize where the guy is, reload the game, reset your tactics and give it a go. It just felt repetitious. Kill a guy, get killed, memorize where he is, reload save point, repeat . . . until mission is complete. I never really felt my use of tactics was really necessary because my initial approach tended to be wrong the first time. Its like watching a movie and knowing the ending. Only to watch the movie again and expect a new ending. That just doesn't sound like fun to me. . .

But I guess AI can't be all perfect otherwise why would we have multiplayer, right?
That wasn't my experience with PC GRAW at all. I'd often just order my guys to stay put, and go smoke everything without them. Carry the SCAR+GL+grenades+SMG instead of Pistol, and wreck havoc on the rebels. When I used my team, I'd often only bring 1 or 2 and carefully micromanage their positions. The key IMO is to move slooooow, check every rooftop, and pretend if your character gets shot, it is you getting shot. You'll be surprised how much longer you take to do everything in the SP campaign, when you act like your life is on the line. Can you tell I liked that game? :p

kainlongshot

May 18, 2007
Don't get me wrong, my play style varies quite differently from what I play in run and gun games like UT and Quake. I treat games by Tom Clancy with a bit more caution - one life to live mentality. I don't want you to get the impression I simply dive in and start blowing stuff up. Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon or both thinking man shooters. If there is a comparison it is something akin to to MGS (i.e. play very slow). I engage only if I have to, and suppress when I need to. I have a pretty good grasp on fire arcs and how to enter a room ( I play enough America's Army to know). As well as when to commit and when not to. Fight the good fight but make it so your forces remain in one piece. There is always a sense of urgency and real life at stake which is why I always love Tom's games and books but the game play . . .

I'm not an expert or ex military by any means but GRAW plays excruciatingly repetitive. I just like the genre and sense of realism. However what gets me irked is how a lot of times you got to die to figure out where the enemy is. For example, you don't got the UAV in the fourth or fifth map. There's a heavy gunner's nest up the road. No prob right? Split the team in 2 fireteams and converge from 2 locations. Draw fire from the first, pop a grenade and you're done. Cool right? Oh did I mention there was 2 convoys that happen to find you and unload not one or 2 guys but 6 enemy combatants (including one vehicle with a machine gun mounted on the hood?) Now my forces are running for their lives, and the team has been split up. One usually gets shot trying to cover the other. Its an easy matter of recovering but now I'm a man down. Crap, restart, reload, trying it again, and anticipate the enemy convoy next round. Thats what I'm talking about. Its like my second team (or even I) step on a trigger (a la Indiana Jones) and instead of a big boulder coming down on me a scripted event happens and I'm suddenly in a firefight I'm not equipped to handle. We call that, "setting you up for failure."

Should I have not split my forces, perhaps. Should I have gone it alone, perhaps. Should I have been equipped as a sniper and take the guy out from long range, perhaps. There are a crap ton of scenarios and every single gorram one of them, i got to die or one my fellow team members die. Not to question your tactics, but you seriously go in alone? Last I check thats a quick way to die, boss.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Oh, I die too alright, seemingly no avoiding it (as you pointed out) sometimes. But I would get through a whole mission here in there, at worst. just wounded.
but you seriously go in alone? Last I check thats a quick way to die, boss.
Not always alone, sometimes you need another guy with a anti-tank, that kind of thing. But definitely didn't have to follow a rinse and repeat strategy either. I would leave them behind quite a bit though, frag a bunch of rebels, then have them regroup on me. The satellite look down was definitely very handy for scouting things out before moving anywhere too. I'd hit their transports with the GL which I'd always load out extra rounds for.

Anyways, great game, and I certainly understand where you are coming from. Hope I didn't come across as questioning your skills, it certainly wasn't my intent, just trying to share some tactics that worked well for me in the SP campaign.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: fjorner
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Matt2
Originally posted by: Ruger22C
Who's buying GR:AW 2 when it comes out?

www.ruger22c.com/GRAW2_2.jpg

Who already beat it 4 months ago when it came out?

Me.

GRAW 2 TWO! DOS! ZWEI! DEUX!

Or, he's talking about the totally different console version and he's in the wrong forum.

Or, he's some sort of beta snob.

or a hook-handed, peg-legged, parrot-loving sailor.

WTF are you talking about, pontifex? How could he have pirated it if it just came out...? Also, the console version has been out for quite some time now. Although the PC version is completely different.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
PC version crashes on me ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. I really hope they figure out why so many of us crash to desktop, not to mention having to turn off our xfi sound to the default sound.

Loved GRAW1, this one is souring me because of all the crashing. (But being able to pick up weapons lying around is great.)

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
I haven't had any problems running the PC version since I imported the SLi profile for it from the beta Forceware drivers.

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
I am not having any problems running the PC version either. My sound is heard thru headphones not speakers, hence I do not need an expensive sound board..the on-board hardware does the job nicely. Game coders and sound hardware manufacturers have been clashing for some years now for resources, which results in some of the crashing games. Will we the paying public continue to let these non-caring companies continue to pork us...sadly...I think so...we are to weak to do what should be done to finally fix the problem.

ronach

Oct 9, 1999
On another note..I am experiencing IMHO long load times for this game..my other FPS games do not have this problem. Anybody else notice this..if so is there a fix ?

cloud639

Apr 30, 2003
Anyone know where i can find the "Recommended Computer SPEC" for this game? I want to see if my 6 year old computer can handle it...my specs are:

AMD XP 2000 (1.66MHZ)
1 Gig ram
ATI 9700xx (i forgot the model)

Think my comp can handle it?