GF100 Fermi card at GTC a fake / mock-up

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

Ok, but your post doesn't state who you think is doing the fakeposting, which makes it hard to understand what exactly your point is.

Originally posted by: alyarbOf course, you must realize that in the act of calling someone out or claiming that they are a troll, by the definition you make one of yourself.

Well, if you think that then you're calling yourself a troll for calling me out as a troll. Or let me guess, merely fakeposting? :D

In any case, I disagree with that statement. I can safely call Tempered81 a troll. He hijacked real news (Fermi was faked) and interjected that bit about Nvidia abandoning gamers and focusing only on GPGPU, he didn't do that to add to the discussion, but to create an argument.

Originally posted by: alyarbCalling someone out as a fanboy is even worse because it's as unsubstantiated as McCarthyism and just as humiliating. You can't prove whether you are or not, and no one else can either.

Just because it often gets thrown around too often without cause doesn't mean you can't prove someone is a fanboy. The true test is when someone ignores the obvious in a way the benefits one company or another. Extreme examples: A poster who thinks an 8600GT is faster than a 5870 because it has PhysX is a fanboy. A poster who thinks a Radeon 3850 is faster than a GTX 295 because it has DX 10.1 is also a fanboy. Anyone in this thread who seriously believes that the Fermi board was a prototype and not a fake/mockup after being shown how the pcb was cut with power tools and (here is the biggie) none of the power connectors being soldered on is also a fanboy, and in these extreme examples, there is no harm in calling out these kinds of people.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
dude, it was me. i was fakeposting. by the definition, only i should know who is the fake. do you think i really want to see elvis? i'm trying to make this easy.

anyway, for those of you who do want to see elvis,

Originally posted by: Tempered81
keep your eyes on the poll.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Fud is saying that there were real prototypes but they were not shown due to not being presentable, and that he will get pictures soon. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15798/1/

Let's just hope that it is not another mock up. At this point, I'm not ready to take Nvidia for their word, but if there are enough pictures in a high enough detail so that we can see that it does not look to be a fake, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt. If it's a single blurry picture where we can't really tell what is what, then I'd guess that they're fibbing again.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004
The only people I see throwing the fanboy label around is ATI folks. They like to point out anything damaging to Nvidia and if you try to explain it you're a fanboy because you don't participate in their childish antics. If Tesla/GF100 never comes out then you have a point. If it was a fake card there could be reasons for doing so and we'll have to wait and see what those reasons are. At worst it means they don't have many working cards and it will be more than a couple of months before it releases. They made a completely new architecture and is more of a change than what ATI did with their DX11 part. They can be excused for being a few months later because of it.

Edit: They said it was days old silicon. What do you expect?

INGlewood78

Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: evolucion8
Originally posted by: darXoul
Wow, Charlie is really amusing with his fierce determination in explaining and investigating all this crap.

To be honest, his article was boring and IMHO, pretty much pointless.

I don't really care whether the Fermi card shown was the real thing or Riva TNT2 Ultra screwed to an ironing board with a hairdryer fan attached to it as long as nVidia can finally release a truly new, innovative, progressive card that performs at the level I expect, i.e. around 20-30% faster than HD 5870. I'm not in a hurry, my card runs almost all games in eye candy modes pretty smoothly, with obvious but mostly irrelevant exceptions, the 5870 cannot really revolutionize my gaming experience (and is vaporware atm anyway) so another X months of "waiting time" is fine with me, even if X turns out to be 5 or 6.

Vaporware?? Actually you can buy a HD 5870 at newegg for $379 USD. So your claim is invalid unless if you are talking about the HD 5850.

It's true, just ordered yesterday! =P

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Five pages of a bunch of crazyheads yelling and screaming for no reason whatsoever.

So it was a mock-up he had in his hand. Or a functional non-production prototype, who can say for sure? Certainly none of the people acting like they just found Bill Clinton with his pants down with an intern in the oval office, when in reality it's just a piece of plastic and metal. Sheesh. Talk about a storm in a teapot!

SO WHAT? There's no point in arguing over any of this. The chip will come out whenever its good and ready. Give it a rest already...

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Originally posted by: FaaR
Five pages of a bunch of crazyheads yelling and screaming for no reason whatsoever.

So it was a mock-up he had in his hand. Or a functional non-production prototype, who can say for sure? Certainly none of the people acting like they just found Bill Clinton with his pants down with an intern in the oval office, when in reality it's just a piece of plastic and metal. Sheesh. Talk about a storm in a teapot!

SO WHAT? There's no point in arguing over any of this. The chip will come out whenever its good and ready. Give it a rest already...

Yes deception is good, Bill Clinton is bad.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Some people just don't get it. Whether it was a prototype or a mock up isn't in and of itself the interesting part. The point is that if it was/wasn't a functioning part it gives us hints about where Nvidia is in terms of getting their next-gen parts out. How is that not discussion worthy?

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Looks like Charlie was right about this one.

I would like to see pics of the real one with the dangling wires though, it would look cool :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I heard it wasnt even Huang, it was a just a hologram of some other asian guy :Q

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Originally posted by: HurleyBird
Some people just don't get it. Whether it was a prototype or a mock up isn't in and of itself the interesting part. The point is that if it was/wasn't a functioning part it gives us hints about where Nvidia is in terms of getting their next-gen parts out. How is that not discussion worthy?

Exactly.

It seems it is a forbidden subject.

nVdia schedule this event like in May?

So I assume they were hopping to show some hardware in there.

If they didn't that point its late, be it because of manufacturing or some last minute problem.

It also hints if we will see some new next generation nVidia before the new year or not.

Yes, nVidia will debut a Femri, no doubts. It will be fast in games no doubts. We are just trying to figure when.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: FaaR

Good analogy. This is an amusing anectdoe that possibly reveals teh status of development, but it's nothing more.

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
I don't know if this has been posted already:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/v...rack_for_Q4_2009.html#

But while Nvidia does not want to demonstrate its new Fermi-G300 graphics card openly in early October, it does state that it will be able to ship the product commercially in late 2009 and denies the claim that the first Fermi products will only show up in Q1 2010.

?The first Fermi GPUs are expected to launch by year?s end,? stressed Mr. Alibrandi.

Perhaps, Nvidia is somewhat too optimistic. At the GTC, Nvidia demonstrated the A1 revision of the Fermi-G300 graphics chip made in late August, whereas usually the company uses only A2 or even A3 revisions on commercial products. It usually takes months to create a new revision

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MODEL3
I don't know if this has been posted already:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/v...rack_for_Q4_2009.html#

But while Nvidia does not want to demonstrate its new Fermi-G300 graphics card openly in early October, it does state that it will be able to ship the product commercially in late 2009 and denies the claim that the first Fermi products will only show up in Q1 2010.

?The first Fermi GPUs are expected to launch by year?s end,? stressed Mr. Alibrandi.

Perhaps, Nvidia is somewhat too optimistic. At the GTC, Nvidia demonstrated the A1 revision of the Fermi-G300 graphics chip made in late August, whereas usually the company uses only A2 or even A3 revisions on commercial products. It usually takes months to create a new revision

Their choice of words...I hate marketing doublespeak because they say one thing but with the intent that the reader/listener will think they read/heard something entirely different.

Launching != available for purchase and immediate ship at Newegg, etc.

So Mr. Alibrandi can say Fermi is "expected to launch by year?s end" all he wants, it doesn't address the concerns communicated by people who "claim that the first Fermi products will only show up in Q1 2010".

How is a "by year's end" launch a refute of the statement/concern that we might not have retail access to the sucker until Q1 2010?

Who gives two shits when the damn thing launches? The customers? The shareholders? The AIBs? The resellers?

Everyone knows that what matters here is availability...so when the marketing guys restrict their vocabulary to employ merely the word "launch" as a descriptor of what they expect to happen by the end of Q4 it does little to nothing to instill confidence in any of those entities I listed above (customers, resellers, AIBs, shareholders).

I'm reminded of that wonderful Abraham Lincoln quote:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Only in this case I'm just left thinking "damn NV, if that is what you have to say as your refuting the naysayers regarding Fermi shipping then man o man you were far better off having kept your mouth shut and left us all to speculate over vapors versus you opening your mouth and removing all doubt that we won't see this thing in stock at newegg until Q1...good job?".

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Idontcare
*snip*

Well I think it is refuting Anand's and Kyles Feb/March predictions. So if they "launch" in December with limited availabilty, and then have widespread in Jan, they are still beating out the naysayers. Q1 is rather broad.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
GTX 285 was also slated for a late 2008 release after taping out in May 2008. It didn't come out until January 2009.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I would of been more impressed with a buncho spaghetti wires on a prototype board.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
they also say FERMI will launch... that could very well mean the tesla version and not the video card version...
Or maybe just naked GPUs shipped to that company that said they will be building a super computer based on it; which can then be integrated into their own custom circuit boards to create the supercomputer.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Meh...

I so want a REAL GTX300 :\