Getting Slow speeds on my pc

RickyDicky

Nov 16, 2018
So I have a 25mbps up and down speed
I get good speeds on other devices
But my pc is getting 2 mbps only on browsers and programs. Speedtest.net shows my normal speeds.
When I connected my pc via wifi I got my speeds back but when I rooboted my pc, the speeds went back down to 5 mbps.
I ran a malwarebyte and a defender scan but no viruses.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
You have 25mbps up and down speed per your ISP?

You get good speeds over wi-fi on other devices?

Your PC is getting 2mbps as a negotiated/connected speed over wi-fi? Or you're doing other bandwidth tests to get this result?

When you connected your pc via wi-fi you say that you got your speed back. Is that to say you were previously using a hard line?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are we confusing the Mbit/sec that the ISP sells (marketing), and MegaBYTES/sec, that the browser download reports?

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Yeah, that's a big one, too haha. Capitalization matters! If you're downloading something and your browser shows 2MB/s (megabytes), that's about the same as 16mbps (megabits)! It's 8 bits to a byte. Lower case means bit and capital means byte. This can be a real troubleshooting nightmare when someone unaware of this very huge difference doesn't realize this.

RickyDicky

Nov 16, 2018
You have 25mbps up and down speed per your ISP?

You get good speeds over wi-fi on other devices?

Your PC is getting 2mbps as a negotiated/connected speed over wi-fi? Or you're doing other bandwidth tests to get this result?

When you connected your pc via wi-fi you say that you got your speed back. Is that to say you were previously using a hard line?

1.yes
2.yes
3.i get 2 megabits ps while downloading via browsers and in program's like iTunes
4.yup I was hardlined then I connected my dongle got the speeds back but after a reboot same happend with the wifi card

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That, or I would investigate whether or not you have "Fast Stream" drivers installed into your networking stack, they used to come bundled with AMD drivers and installed automatically. They reduce your download bandwidth, sometimes significantly.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It could happen. Sometimes the adapter can't auto negotiate the network speed or getting DHCP IP address.

It usually means that the network adapter probably starts to degrade.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
the problem is back
when i try to download using browsers inbuilt downloader i get low speeds
but when i use download manager like FDM i get my ISP speeds
Clear browser cache, unload/remove browser extensions.