Getting constant BSOD on my new graphics card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
When i said cooler i meant fan. The FTW uses a vapor chamber style cooler.

Sorry, I meant vapor chamber.

And the stock 670 doesn't have it:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-670_2.html#sect0

The plastic casing of the cooling system is fastened along its edge. It is quite easy to remove.

It hides an aluminum heatsink on the power components, a GPU heatsink and a fan secured on the plastic extension of the PCB.

The GPU heatsink consists of a copper base with aluminum fins soldered to it.

There is no vapor chamber and no heat pipes here.

The reference GeForce GTX 670 cooler also includes a simple 70mm PWM-regulated fan and a tall heatsink for power system components.

The unsophisticated cooler, short PCB and rather simple power circuit do not quite match the product's price tag of $400, but that's what Nvidia offers for that money.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
flash has crashed several times for me since getting my gtx670 and today my clocks actually locked and would not idle down. those are issues that others are reporting. that along with all the other issues make me feel like they did not thoroughly test these cards at all. I am on the fence about sending mine back.

flash crashes for everyone, all the time, on all platforms.
Flash is the blight.

Use a flash blocker unless absolutely necessary and disable GPU acceleration of flash (its really buggy)

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
flash crashes for everyone, all the time, on all platforms.
Flash is the blight.

Use a flash blocker unless absolutely necessary and disable GPU acceleration of flash (its really buggy)
Agreed Flash is Buggy as all Hell on any PC and hardware config AMD or Nvidia card. I hope HTML5 fixes and take over the "blight"

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
um no. the gtx670 does not use a vapor chamber cooler as it uses the standard cooler from the gtx680. the dinky cooler on the reference gtx670 is a pos and nearly every review has talked about how noisy it is.

I was right the first time, and I'm going to clarify. GTX680 (and I'm assuming GTX670 FTW) uses heatpipes:

Moving on, when we remove the shroud on the GTX 680 we see the fan, baseplate, and heatsink in full detail. NVIDIA is using an aluminum fin stacked heatsink, very similar to what we saw on the GTX 580. Underneath the heatsink NVIDIA is using a set of three heatpipes to transfer heat between the GPU and the heatsink. This is as opposed to the vapor chamber on the GTX 580, and while this setup doesn’t allow empirical testing, given the high efficiency of vapor chambers it’s likely that this isn’t quite as efficient, though to what degree we couldn’t say.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/5

So, basically, the reference GTX670 cooler has almost nothing in common with the reference 680.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
um no. the gtx670 does not use a vapor chamber cooler as it uses the standard cooler from the gtx680. the dinky cooler on the reference gtx670 is a pos and nearly every review has talked about how noisy it is.

Good for the reviews and how is the cooler that bad if it could hold a constant 1250 boost core during gaming and benchmarks?

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Good for the reviews and how is the cooler that bad if it could hold a constant 1250 boost core during gaming and benchmarks?

LOL, you don't like my sources? Just trying to clear things up.

Actually I'm not convinced that the cooler isn't effective. It's just not quiet. I can also hold 1250 boost in games on mine.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
what does that have to do with it being cheap and noisy at idle? its a flimsy pos but luckily the gtx670 does not use much power. really even the gtx460 coolers were of much better quality.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

I owned a ref gigabyte 680 and its the same exact cooler as the FTW. Ref cooler on the ref 670s are terrible. They hit 80c on stock clocks at max fan speed. (at least on mine it did)

Last edited: