Getting constant BSOD on my new graphics card

thoraine

Jun 10, 2012
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce, 8GB RAM, 600W CoolerMaster, i5 2500K, two SSDs and one HDD.

I installed my drivers and then played one round of Diablo 3 after which I opened the NVIDIA Control Panel and then it immediately went into a blank red screen. I forcefully rebooted the computer and chose to boot normally after which it BSODed mentioning a graphics problem and then rebooted a second time.

What's going on? Do I have a faulty card? I just bought it today and installed the latest drivers.

Not sure if this helps:
Code:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 18441

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800B797010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F5D24D4
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
EDIT: Now I'm getting constant error messages along the lines of NVIDIA drivers have crashed and recovered. I've run Heaven DX11 and Furmark to stress test it and it went to 70C without problems(I got green artifacts in Heaven DX11) however the moment I closed furmark and opened Firefox my system hung.
EDIT 2: Now I can't even boot without getting nvlddmkm.sys BSOD. I've tried driver versions 301.25(drivers on the CD that came with the GPU), 301.34(official oldest), 301.42 (official latest), 301.59, 301.71. None of them fixed the problem. Refitted my GTX 260 for now. I'm leaving RMA as the last resort because there are many people complaining of crashes as well so I am unable to isolate whether it is my drivers or my card.
Please advise me. Thanks in advance.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
RSODs are usually caused by startup programs that monitor your system, I know that asus gpu tweak can cause it. Run msconfig and disable all unnecessary startup programs and see if that helps.

Other than that, quality control issues seem be common among some aftermarket 670s, mostly the asus dc2s and EVGA FTWS (tons of forum complaints about the ftw card). It seems like a lot of these cards aren't getting tested properly.

RMA it ASAP if you can't fix the RSODs.

thoraine

Jun 10, 2012
I've only gotten a RSOD once so far. Majority of the issues are hangs and most recently, BSODs on boot. I'll try to RMA it and hopefully they don't return it back to me with some kind of crappy reason like it works perfectly fine.

thoraine

Jun 10, 2012
Heard that my PSU could be causing problems? Could anyone chime in if that might be the case? I have a coolermaster m600 slient pro, OCed my i5 2500K to 4.5GHz at 1.26V, I have a crucial m4, intel x25-m, one dvd drive, one mechanical hdd two sticks of DDR3 RAM. Is 600W enough? Thanks in advance.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Op do u have any monitoring software running behind?If yes then close them immediately and disable them from msconfig.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
If your 260 is working fine, and your 670 is giving you constant BSODs even on boot, it's not a driver issue. RMA the card. The 670s have had a lot of problems.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Its a defective card, only possible explanation if the system works fine with another card and crashes outside of a game. (a weak PSU would cause it to crash when playing a game and power consumption rises, but during idle it should sip power)

Feb 25, 2011
Why are so many of these windforce cards having issues?

They... broke wind?

yeaaah.jpg

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
RSODs are usually caused by startup programs that monitor your system, I know that asus gpu tweak can cause it. Run msconfig and disable all unnecessary startup programs and see if that helps.

Other than that, quality control issues seem be common among some aftermarket 670s, mostly the asus dc2s and EVGA FTWS (tons of forum complaints about the ftw card). It seems like a lot of these cards aren't getting tested properly.

RMA it ASAP if you can't fix the RSODs.

I haven't read too many problems with the FTW cards. Just the SC ones that were replaced with FTWs. I know there are a ton of issues with the dc2s. My FTW is working like a champ though.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
flash has crashed several times for me since getting my gtx670 and today my clocks actually locked and would not idle down. those are issues that others are reporting. that along with all the other issues make me feel like they did not thoroughly test these cards at all. I am on the fence about sending mine back.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Heard that my PSU could be causing problems? Could anyone chime in if that might be the case? I have a coolermaster m600 slient pro, OCed my i5 2500K to 4.5GHz at 1.26V, I have a crucial m4, intel x25-m, one dvd drive, one mechanical hdd two sticks of DDR3 RAM. Is 600W enough? Thanks in advance.

I have a 550watt PSU and its working fine. It worked fine with my GTX 570 and that uses more power than a GTX 670...

I haven't read too many problems with the FTW cards. Just the SC ones that were replaced with FTWs. I know there are a ton of issues with the dc2s. My FTW is working like a champ though.

My Windforce recently is giving me flashing green screens when I die or spawn in BF3... I'm trying to find out if its my HDMI cable or monitor... didn't have these issues with my GTX 570... it just started happening this week.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I have a 550watt PSU and its working fine. It worked fine with my GTX 570 and that uses more power than a GTX 670...

My Windforce recently is giving me flashing green screens when I die or spawn in BF3... I'm trying to find out if its my HDMI cable or monitor... didn't have these issues with my GTX 570... it just started happening this week.

Does this happen when you get into vehicles by any chance? How about when you adjust the map size while playing? I've had all of that, but with older drivers. Haven't had it on 301.42.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
It's hard to pin point the exact problem on another rig on these forums but I would bet that you just need to RMA you card simple as that problem fixed.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Why am i the only one without issues? Best part is everyone was talking crap about the mini me pcb's and mine run flawless

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Does this happen when you get into vehicles by any chance? How about when you adjust the map size while playing? I've had all of that, but with older drivers. Haven't had it on 301.42.

Yeah... it happens when I do those things too! I'm not sure which drivers I am using... I will double check when I get home from work.

Okay cool - so now I know it is either a driver or GPU issue.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Why am i the only one without issues? Best part is everyone was talking crap about the mini me pcb's and mine run flawless

Maybe you are lucky? I figured my luck ran out this year... so far I had to RMA my Turtle Beach z6A twice, swapped out a Mobo, swapped out a CPU, a 2TB HDD died and my Laptop died...:'(

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
who is talking crap? it is a fact that the cooler is a cheap pos on the reference 670 and most of them sound annoying. that has noting to do with the actual gpu though.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
who is talking crap? it is a fact that the cooler is a cheap pos on the reference 670 and most of them sound annoying. that has noting to do with the actual gpu though.

Cooler is the same exact cooler used on the FTW.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

Cooler is the same exact cooler used on the FTW.

How do you figure? The FTW uses the 680 cooler, the reference uses a completely different shroud that hangs off the PCB, and I believe it doesn't have heatpipes either. I'm pretty sure it's the unique "hanging fan" that causes the buzzing versus the 680's design.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
How do you figure? The FTW uses the 680 cooler, the reference uses a completely different shroud that hangs off the PCB, and I believe it doesn't have heatpipes either. I'm pretty sure it's the unique "hanging fan" that causes the buzzing versus the 680's design.

When i said cooler i meant fan. The FTW uses a vapor chamber style cooler.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Maybe you are lucky? I figured my luck ran out this year... so far I had to RMA my Turtle Beach z6A twice, swapped out a Mobo, swapped out a CPU, a 2TB HDD died and my Laptop died...:'(

Crap that sucks man. I've been pretty fortunate overall. I can't remember having to RMA anything that has been defective. Just stuff I ordered that turned out I didn't need etc. Knock on wood I guess.

I haven't had any problems with my FTW, but I haven't been stressing it too much either. I tried OCing it when I first got it but haven't had time to dial it in so I've been running stock lately. And I've been playing mostly D3 so it's not like that's going stress it out too much at 1920. Maybe after a certain break-in period these cards start to show signs of wear (which I'm hoping is not the case!)