Getting back into gaming... what to play?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You need company of heros, noone should be without company of heros. Get the gold edition as it comes with the expansion as well which really makes the game more interesting.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I have been out of the loop on pc gaming for long time. well I still dont play much, but it was just Starcraft and Counter strike 1.6 here and there.

But!! I tried portal on orangebox and I COULD NOT STOP Playing it. such an amazing game. Havent played much of HL2 and TF2 but portal is a must play.

With the recent upgrade on main pc I tried demos of many games : DIRT(looks amazing), NFS prostreet, crysis, COD4, lost planet etc etc.. but I think portal tops them all. maybe Testdrive Unlmited should be good. It is very fun game although graphics and game engine itself has some problems.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I'm casually playing Bioshock now. I love the atmosphere, sound effects, story line, etc. Will give Portal/TF2 a shot next!

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
CS:Source and CoD4 are the only ones I consistently play nowadays. I might pop in Starcraft sometimes, and I've been contemplating doing a run-through of Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGI, II, and ToB) but I don't know if I'd have the time/dedication for that.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
@demon42

Unless you really like sim games (or just smighting random peasants) i would suggest Company of Heroes over Black and White 2, they make my top 10 list but CoH is a better RTS.

ric0chet06

Jan 11, 2007
Pretty much all I play right now:
COD4
TF2
maybe UT3

If I'm bored with those:
CS:S
Portal
DOD:S
BF2

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Double Agent are games I can't seem to stop going back too. Bioshock as a lot of people are saying was quite an experience. Good but forgotten games I still love are Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (probably one of the best games ever) and American McGee's Alice was quite the trip.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: demon42
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: demon42
Think back 8 years ago when UT:3 was the latest and greatest... That's really the last time I considered myself to be a gamer. Since then, I might as well have been living under a rock.

What are your top 3 recommended games for me to pick up and get back into gaming?

Am I the only person who noticed this?????

I read that as a time reference, not necessarily a gaming preference.

I was assuming he was REALLY out of date and was referring to the 3rd unreal game (IIRC there are 2 "Unreal" games aside from "Unreal Tournament"). I think was that was around 8 years ago.

Yep, when I think back to the last time I really played a lot of (or really any) PC games, I remember that Unreal Tournament 3 was new and cool and exciting. I don't know if I have any FPS preference or not, but I do remember that it was fun!

So far, the most popular response has been Orange Box. I think I'll go for that, and then maybe a few of the other recommendations from other gaming genres, just to get a little variety in my re-immersion. So for the first three I'm looking Orange Box and maybe Oblivion, and Black and White 2...

Or are you referring to UT 2003?

wrangler

Nov 13, 1999
First download and install Steam. Lots and lots of stuff to catch you up.

Orange Box is the no-brainer here. Best possible choice for someone getting back into the swing of things with an older system.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Mafia

I'm reaching back here to 2002, but I just recently reinstalled this game once again and have to suggest it.
The graphics really aren't that bad considering it's 6 years old, and IMO story and gameplay(sort of GTA style) are top-notch. It's definitely in my top 3 all-time favorites.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Definitely the Orange Box, the best part of it in my opinion being Team Fortress 2, Portal is alright, and the Half-Life series is a classic despite its scripted nature, at least the story is original compared to many other FPS'es out there, and there's TONS of modifications for it (and the original Half-Life as well).

Bioshock is a good choice indeed, you should consider it.

If you like Real-Time-Strategy games, and Turn-Based games (or a mix of both) then you have plenty of choices, but the best ones in my opinion are Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (plus the three expansions for it), then there's The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II (plus The Rise of the Witch-King expansion pack), and finally I'd have to say World in Conflict, quite a nice game.

And finally I'd highly recommend the Total War series, with the latest being Medieval II: Total War (but Rome: Total War is good also).

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
For turn based strategy: Galactic Civilizations 2
For turn/real time hybrid: Rome Total War or Medieval 2 Total War
For real time strategy: Sins of a Solar Empire, World in Conflict, or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Top 3 for me over that time period would be:

Orange Box: I love everything in it and easily one of the best gaming values ever.

Deus Ex: if you have not played this, make sure you do, one of the best FPS games ever. Get the high def texture pack to make the graphics more palatable to the 2008 eye.

Bioshock: maybe I just have this on the brain because I beat it very recently, but I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great, the story is interesting, plus it may give you a couple of scares which is always fun.

KT

Edit: I'll also add Hitman 2: Silent Assassin from a little while back. I've played this game countless times and I never seem to get bored with it.