Getting back into gaming... what to play?

demon42

Jul 19, 2004
Think back 8 years ago when UT:3 was the latest and greatest... That's really the last time I considered myself to be a gamer. Since then, I might as well have been living under a rock.

What are your top 3 recommended games for me to pick up and get back into gaming?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
depends on what type of games you like..

I would definitely recommend Orange Box as #1. It's an incredible value since you get the entire Half Life 2 trilogy, along with PORTAL and one of the best multiplayer games ever, Team Fortress 2.

For an epic and atmospheric single player game, grab Bioshock.

And for a realtime, fast-paced strategy game, I highly recommend World in Conflict. Multiplayer battles are incredibly addictive.

Those should keep you busy a while ;)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
COD4 is really the only game I play right now, it's really fun. Besides GTA San Andreas.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Orange Box, Baldur's Gate Series, The Witcher, Bioshock, STALKER, Crysis, Warcraft series (ie anything from Blizzard), Tron 2.0, NWN series, Black and White series, Doom 3, Quake 4 - a few selections from my collection.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
just wanted to add Titan Quest Gold (Titan Quest & TQ: Immortal Throne) for some hack & slash action.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I see you are a fan of first person games.

I suggest:
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (available on steam)
Deus Ex (available on steam)
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
To round things out get Audiosurf for $8.99 on Steam.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: demon42
Think back 8 years ago when UT:3 was the latest and greatest... That's really the last time I considered myself to be a gamer. Since then, I might as well have been living under a rock.

What are your top 3 recommended games for me to pick up and get back into gaming?

Am I the only person who noticed this?????

Anyway, I recommend World in Conflict, Disciples 2 Gold, and perhaps whatever version of Galactic Civilizations 2 is the most complete. I think they have a Plutonium Edition or something now.

You missed out on a lot, mostly a crapload of rotten, overhyped first person shooters.
Try Doom 3 to get started. Assuming you are a true gamer from the year 2000, you will hate it and save yourself a lot of heartache. Many of the shooters which have debuted since D3 have sucked ass.

Just go for the handful of good RPG's and the cubic butt ton of good RTS's and enjoy yourself.

conorvansmack

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2004
The Orange Box should keep you busy with FPS goodness. It's not just mindless run n' shoot either.

trexpesto

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2004
Are you saying you are on an 8-year old machine? Rig?

else gotta flog it: BF2142 multiplayer (over BF2, or else both)

Nov 26, 2005
Back 8 years ago when UT3 was the latest and greatest game....

uhhmmm its all good man, i'm only kidding

UT3, COD4, Red Orechestra

demon42

Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: trexpesto
Are you saying you are on an 8-year old machine? Rig?

else gotta flog it: BF2142 multiplayer (over BF2, or else both)

Definitely not, I have a decent machine, and I'm planning another build in a few months.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Off the top of my head.

Company of Heroes
COD4
Supreme Commander
STALKER
Crysis (only bother if you have a damn good gaming rig, not worth it otherwise)
Homeworld 2 (i think that was less then 8 years ago)
Total War: (any of them really, Medieval II being the latest)
Orange box (for $49 it has HL1 -iirc-, HL2, HL ep 1, HL ep 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2)
Civilization 4
World in Conflict
BF2 (not BF 2142, it's a crappier version)
Galactic Civilization 2: Dread Lords
Sins of a Solar Empire
Black and White 2
Star Wars Republic Commando (hey, it was fun)
GTA3 series (there is 3 versions)
Oblivion
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Visit Youtube.com and have a look at gameplay if anything you're interested in.

-Edit-
Top 3
1- STALKER
2- Orange Box
3- Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: shortylickens

I read that as a time reference, not necessarily a gaming preference.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo

I was assuming he was REALLY out of date and was referring to the 3rd unreal game (IIRC there are 2 "Unreal" games aside from "Unreal Tournament"). I think was that was around 8 years ago.

demon42

Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

I was assuming he was REALLY out of date and was referring to the 3rd unreal game (IIRC there are 2 "Unreal" games aside from "Unreal Tournament"). I think was that was around 8 years ago.

Yep, when I think back to the last time I really played a lot of (or really any) PC games, I remember that Unreal Tournament 3 was new and cool and exciting. I don't know if I have any FPS preference or not, but I do remember that it was fun!

So far, the most popular response has been Orange Box. I think I'll go for that, and then maybe a few of the other recommendations from other gaming genres, just to get a little variety in my re-immersion. So for the first three I'm looking Orange Box and maybe Oblivion, and Black and White 2...

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

Yep, when I think back to the last time I really played a lot of (or really any) PC games, I remember that Unreal Tournament 3 was new and cool and exciting. I don't know if I have any FPS preference or not, but I do remember that it was fun!

So far, the most popular response has been Orange Box. I think I'll go for that, and then maybe a few of the other recommendations from other gaming genres, just to get a little variety in my re-immersion. So for the first three I'm looking Orange Box and maybe Oblivion, and Black and White 2...

You mean Unreal Tournament right? That came out 8 years ago (9 maybe?) UT3 just came out this year... Unless you're quitting now and want a headstart on game suggestions for your planned return in 8 years...