Question Getting a new display soon and looking for AT's expert opinion (so I don't make any potentially life-altering mistakes!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm getting a new display soon and find myself torn between an LG 48 inch 16:9 OLED (48GQ900-B), an Asus 43 inch 16:9 VA (XG43UQ) and an Alienware 38 inch 21:9 IPS ultrawide (AW3821DW).

I'm leaning towards the Alienware ultrawide.

Note I like the LG version of the IPS ultrawide panel better (38GN950-G) but LG support is bottom of the barrel plus with just a 1 year warranty so if you have a problem 2 years in you're SOL, while Dell despite what you hear is pretty good IME and includes a 3 year advanced exchange warranty. Also the LG is several hundred dollars more money!

As mentioned I already tried a 34 inch ultrawide and it was just too small vertically for 16:9 and especially for viewing older 4:3 media for my tastes. As for the new 43 inch LG OLED TV, it has no DP 1.4, plus auto-dimming cannot be fully disabled. (actually OLED's scare me for desktop use due to burn-in)

Any thoughts/opinions, experiences OR alternate suggestions in the area of a grand are welcome!

Will be buying this week or shortly thereafter! :)

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Crazy thing is that so far despite being an IPS panel the "blacks" on this monitor are just as dark as they were on the VA if not darker to my eye.

yeah you'll definitely get better blacks, the 4 FALD zones will probably make you go errr, but you'll ignore them, as they don't impact you unless you have a black background.

The OLED of course has better blacks.... sometimes i wonder if the screen is even on until i move my mouse pointer and see it gliding from one side to the next.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
yeah you'll definitely get better blacks, the 4 FALD zones will probably make you go errr, but you'll ignore them, as they don't impact you unless you have a black background.

I thought keeping the variable backlight switched off mitigated this? (I'm fine not using HDR)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There should be an option in the settings for dynamic contrast or local dimming. Turn it off and your monitor should switch to SDR mode using sRGB color profile.

Thought so.... I already had it set up that way.

One "auto" setting that does work pretty well to my surprise however is the "ambient light sensor" especially in a dark room.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Started working on some serious color/contrast calibration this morning.

Apparently my example of this monitor was less than perfectly set up at the factory because I've been able to make some UUUUGE improvements to IQ especially in dark video clips.

This IPS panel still can't touch my Dell VA for blacks but now it's at least "okay" watching video in a dark room... at first I thought this might have been a deal-breaker!

I'm now experimenting with variable backlight modes.... so far it's a tough call but I think "mode 0" actually looks the best followed closely by "off".

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Can you post a photo of them side by side, with both paused on a dark scene from The Dark Knight trailer?

No...? ;) (sorry)

The VA has obviously better blacks and contrast-ratio plus its lower 1440p resolution really helps with older/crappier video too.

Right now the 32 inch is apart and in its box temporarily since it won't fit on my desk next to this monster! (I have to "rough it" for now with a 24 inch IPS on my backup PC)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wow. You needed the upgrade. The 24 inchers' colors are crap!

It's 11 + years old and about to be retired .... also it's intentionally set very "warm" in that picture while the Alienware is set very "cool" (also intentionally) so it looks a bit blue side by side like that.

Really the only serious issue with that display is the eyeball-searing 60hz refresh rate.... it's actually pretty clear and crisp although you can't tell from that "wide" pic.

Seriously once you use your display @ 120hz for awhile you'll be like what on earth was I thinking before.... that's about the only negative.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll post a pic with the 32 inch VA when I get motivated to rearrange the desk to make space..... I want to have it available to watch the occasional 4:3 video anyway.

:)

Jul 27, 2020
Seriously once you use your display @ 120hz for awhile you'll be like what on earth was I thinking before.... that's about the only negative.
I forgot to mention before but I have an HP gaming laptop with 3070 and a 300Hz IPS display. Granted I did not use it much coz I have so much other stuff to do but the short time that I spent using it, I didn't get addicted to it but the 3D benchmarks did look super smooth on it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The jump from 60hz to 120hz on your OLED should be quite dramatic.

Remember just because your display on your laptop can cruise along at 260-300hz (or higher!) doesn't mean that the rest of the machine is up to it in any way.

Especially with a mobile 3070 involved .... they're not even close to a desktop 3070 in performance (some MUCH less than others!) so unless you crank the details way down I doubt that refresh rate happens often anyway.

Jul 27, 2020
Well, from that angle, the IPS definitely looks to have more natural colors.

I turned on the 120Hz refresh rate. It's easy to do in Win11 (maybe Win10 too I would think).

Well, hmmm...while watching a movie, I noticed increased stutter in a panning shot but other than that, nothing else of note. I will report back if I see something unusual.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's 11 + years old and about to be retired .... also it's intentionally set very "warm" in that picture while the Alienware is set very "cool" (also intentionally) so it looks a bit blue side by side like that.

Really the only serious issue with that display is the eyeball-searing 60hz refresh rate.... it's actually pretty clear and crisp although you can't tell from that "wide" pic.

It's funny that back then, many people here would fight tooth and nail claiming that LCD refresh rate doesn't matter. I always found 60hz horrible especially for games. I only started using an LCD as my main display after 120hz models first started to come out. I had a Samsung S27A750D, which was not even marketed as 120hz but only as 3D, and used it for several years until getting an OLED TV.