Question Getting a new display soon and looking for AT's expert opinion (so I don't make any potentially life-altering mistakes!)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm getting a new display soon and find myself torn between an LG 48 inch 16:9 OLED (48GQ900-B), an Asus 43 inch 16:9 VA (XG43UQ) and an Alienware 38 inch 21:9 IPS ultrawide (AW3821DW).

I'm leaning towards the Alienware ultrawide.

Note I like the LG version of the IPS ultrawide panel better (38GN950-G) but LG support is bottom of the barrel plus with just a 1 year warranty so if you have a problem 2 years in you're SOL, while Dell despite what you hear is pretty good IME and includes a 3 year advanced exchange warranty. Also the LG is several hundred dollars more money!

As mentioned I already tried a 34 inch ultrawide and it was just too small vertically for 16:9 and especially for viewing older 4:3 media for my tastes. As for the new 43 inch LG OLED TV, it has no DP 1.4, plus auto-dimming cannot be fully disabled. (actually OLED's scare me for desktop use due to burn-in)

Any thoughts/opinions, experiences OR alternate suggestions in the area of a grand are welcome!

Will be buying this week or shortly thereafter! :)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks for reminding me why people post this kind of stuff in OT these days lol .... this place is dead AND it smells funny!

;)

We should l go back to fewer sub-forums.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
27 inches might as well be a watch-man! ;)

(my current daily-driver is 32)

s-l500.jpg

I know about the IPS "glow" issue and it's my only real concern still making me hesitate.

If that 43 inch ASUS was curved I would get it instead.... I actually prefer VA.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
60hz = 100% deal-breaker for me. :)

120hz min and preferably 144-240hz.

Speaking of were you able your crank up your refresh rate the other day?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Bottom line is that VA has black-smearing, IPS has low contrast and "glow" and OLED has burn-in with superior IQ.

Every display technology has pros and cons it's a matter of what bugs you personally.... I gamed on a 24 inch 60hz IPS panel for years and glow never bothered me then.

That monitor (and my current 32) was 16:9 though so "glowing" black bars were less of an issue then they will be with a 21:9 ultrawide.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Speaking of were you able your crank up your refresh rate the other day?
Not yet. I wanted to download some 120Hz vids first. Found some comparison videos used for research but one batch was 20GB while other was 80+ GB. I was also testing the perf of my 12700K so it's gonna be a while before I report on my HFR experience.

Jul 27, 2020
Normally, you don't have to worry about OLED burn in if you put the monitor to sleep and not shut it down so it can refresh its pixels. I bought my C8 in 2019 I think. Nothing unusual to report. It's the only display connected to my PC.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Problem is that even though I game and gaming performance with smooth/responsive motion is very important to me, the truth is that two thirds of the time I'm watching video/playing music and/or browsing ATOT!

:p

While doing so I have always have a browser with many tabs constantly displayed and multiple other "productivity" type applications in use too.

Further I'm on my PC a minimum of 6-8 hours almost every day with the screen on for 95% of that time.... I don't think an OLED would be a wise choice for the way I use my PC no matter how fantastic they look. (burn-in feels like a virtual certainty!)

This purchase has to last me! :oops:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not yet. I wanted to download some 120Hz vids first. Found some comparison videos used for research but one batch was 20GB while other was 80+ GB. I was also testing the perf of my 12700K so it's gonna be a while before I report on my HFR experience.

You're over-thinking this! ;)

If it doesn't work right @ 120hz it will take a few seconds to put it back to an eyeball-searing, seizure-inducing 60hz refresh provided you don't panic and click "keep settings" by mistake!

It's a normal Windows setting to adjust with flat-panels just like it was with CRT's. (although refresh works differently)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
But you are not staring at it constantly. You gotta look away from the screen to destress your eyes every 20 min. Let the Mystify screensaver kick in after a minute of inactivity.

That would drive me insane and doesn't work for me .... I read/write on my PC all the time too and frequently stare at text on a screen for long periods of time getting nothing done. (aaargh!)

I was more looking for SPECIFIC alternative monitor model suggestions then I was a debate over the merits of OLED vs IPS vs VA as a whole!

And just like in dating, SIZE MATTERS! :p

Nothing under 38 inches/21:9 or 32 inches/16:9 with a minimum 120hz refresh-rate and 1440p resolution need apply!

;)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was giving serious consideration the the 43 inch VA 16:9 Gigabyte FV43U but after re-visiting some reviews of Gigabytes warranty and support policies and 1-star customer-reviews (also the exploding PSU's!) I'm close to crossing it off my short list.... anyone have one?

Note the hardware itself is highly rated in this case, it's Gigabyte customer service I don't really trust. (except slightly for motherboards)

AORUS FV43U 43" 144Hz Gaming monitor (Amazon @ $699)

81sNl1t3x7S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I actually like ultrawides however I had a Dell 34 inch UW briefly and found I hated the lack of screen-height/vertical space compared to my current 16:9 32 inch. It also had some nasty firmware bugs with no updates in sight so I sent it back to Amazon.

Dell 34 inch ultrawide 144hz gaming monitor ~ S3422DWG (Amazon @ $429)

71GkLGWtXgS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 38 inch 21:9 IPS ultrawide panels on the other hand are very close to the same screen-height as a 32 inch 16:9 so in that sense they're ideal plus LCD's are far less susceptible to burn in then OLEDS.

And of course a 43 inch 16:9 panel is just freaking huge in width and height for desktop use.... in fact I think it might just be TOO big!

:oops:

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
LG 48 inch 16:9 OLED (48GQ900-B) and an Alienware 38 inch 21:9 IPS ultrawide (AW3821DW).

Why don't i show you how these look :tearsofjoy:
20221128_163414.jpg

The really really big monitor on the left is the 48GQ900-B.
The really wide monitor on the center is the Alienware 38
The monitor above is a 32inch monoprice.

What i like about the 48GQ900-B. OLED.... need i say more?
What i don't like about the 48GQ900-B Its too Big... goes into cleaning mode a LOT if you leave something static on it. It also goes to sleep mode really quickly if you leave static on it. It autodim's a lot, and HDR is horrible if your in a well lite room.

What i like about the Alienware 38. NanoIPS, Gsync Ultimate, Absolute Silent Gsync cooling fan.
What i don't like bout the Alienware 38. It has 4 FALD zones, which will cause massive light bleed in a dark room. You can move your mouse from one end to the other and activate the FALD zones, and you will see the light bleed migrate across the screen. The screen has light bleeding issues, but almost all IPS's will have some degree of light bleeding issues.

My Opinion... i do not think i could ever use a OLED as a primary display unless i have OCD and leave no desktop icons. Unfortunately im the opposite and clutter my desktop with notes and icons.
I really love the ultrawide, im actually addicted to them in gaming, but in some games its annoying as you wish you had a higher height then width. (LoL, Dota, Sims where top and bottom is just as important as left and right.) Im always trying to rotate the screen so i get the longer FoV, but in some games your locked in FoV.

I would also consider taking a look at the Samsung Neo G9, and Neo G7.
These are MiniLED's with 1100 FALD zones. They will absolutely destroy both monitors i have in HDR, and offer very close blacks the OLED have. Overall i am in consideration of replacing the 48GQ900-B to a 43 inch NEO G7 if they hit stateside.

The OLED monitor is nice, but there are some things which annoy me, although i think if it was the only monitor, and not a secondary monitor, most of those issues would not be present.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why don't i show you how these look :tearsofjoy:
View attachment 75803

Where have YOU been all my life? :p ;)

Seriously great post thanks! :)

Based on your real-world experience it sounds like I made the right call! (I don't really care about HDR/local dimming)

I'm the same way with my desktop PLUS I spend way too much time staring at ATOT and/or struggling with writers-block in front of a wall of text. (often while snoring!)

Burn-in would be a "gimme".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Well, OLED is kinda useless for people who keep the lights on in their room. It's more for the dark room zombies :)

Nothing craps my mood more than an overhead artificial light brightening up my room. I have a single large selfie circular light behind my OLED acting as bias lighting and that's the only lighting I can tolerate at night. The natural light diffusing through the curtains during the day is still much better than an artificial overhead light. It's not as distracting.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The alienware 3821dw is the identical panel to the LG 38 nano-ips from my research. Its infact more superior then his LG38 because it offers Gsync Ultimate, and not regular Gsync, which means it has its own Gsync module, and not a freesync / gsync compatible one.

I love my alienware 38. Its honestly my main monitor for so long for a reason.

And again i know i sound like a broken record, but i really think i am going to replace my LG 48GQ900B and probably put it on Nvidia Shield duty, because of its issues i have as a secondary monitor when the samsung mini led 43 comes out.

I love and need a large portrait monitor greater then 32 inch, but smaller then 48. I think the 43 will be perfect when it comes out.

Well, OLED is kinda useless for people who keep the lights on in their room. It's more for the dark room zombies :)

100% agree...
The LG also has ambient rear LED bling bling RGB lights too.
Cant really show it off in a well light room, but in a dark room, the color shifting is quite awesome.

But i really want that extreme HDR the Odyssey Neo's have. I got to play with the G8 Neo, i sort of regret not keeping it, but it was only a 32 inch sadly, and i was in the market for something a bit bigger, but not Arc class big being 55inches @ a whooping 100lbs.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The Alienware has arrived and I'm posting on it right now! :p

This thing is a beast! It def is brighter than the VA panel on my 32 incher but it's also substantially sharper & "punchier".... about the only negative so far is that I have to stick with a 24 inch panel for my 2ed PC because there's not enough room on my desk to fit the 32 inch next to the new one!

Crazy thing is that so far despite being an IPS panel the "blacks" on this monitor are just as dark as they were on the VA if not darker to my eye.

Last edited: