Get Smart -- Any takers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: middlehead
So he could have two movies fail on the same weekend?

I saw them both, and thought the Myers one to be a better and funnier move. Crass, etc., Myers certainly is, but he made me laugh, and so just the thought of him playing Smart is funny. It's much harder for me to remember actually funny parts in the Carell movie or to find value in it beyond the homage to the original, although that is certainly something.

A great thing about tastes however is that we each get to have our own.

Cheers.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Madwand1
So he could have two movies fail on the same weekend?

I saw them both, and thought the Myers one to be a better and funnier move. Crass, etc., Myers certainly is, but he made me laugh, and so just the thought of him playing Smart is funny. It's much harder for me to remember actually funny parts in the Carell movie or to find value in it beyond the homage to the original, although that is certainly something.

A great thing about tastes however is that we each get to have our own.

Cheers.
I actually do like Myers, haven't seen Love Guru yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, it just seems everybody else is getting tired of anything he does that isn't Shrek.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
I actually do like Myers, haven't seen Love Guru yet but I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, it just seems everybody else is getting tired of anything he does that isn't Shrek.

Don't go in with too high expectations, and you might just come out chuckling. It's not highbrow stuff or deep or grand humor. It's just really funny at times, if you have a taste for that stuff, and otherwise a simple effort at feel-good entertainment with an inclusive though certainly not PC foundation, which is not worse than some of the expensive drek that the industry often puts out these days. I'm not sure why the reviewers didn't get it. The audience I was with seemed to enjoy it.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
I was pleasantly surprised though wasn't enough to wipe the putrid after taste of the bile that worked its way up my throat when I saw the Love Guru earlier in the day. :(

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
I loved it. Steve Carrell and (surprisingly) the Rock were funny enough, and Anne Hathaway is gorgeous. Definitely a good flick to catch with a few friends; I imagine it'd be even funnier if said friends are drunk.

Agreed on the Anne Hathaway part. My wife took our nieces and nephews to it on Sunday and she liked it...although we don't always agree on movies...so the Jury is out for me....but i'm sure I'll see it as I think Steve Carrell is great...and Anne Hathaway will at least make it bearable if it really does suck.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think the only bad thing is that the trailers showed quite a few of the funny scenes and that kind of ruined it for me. I thought it was pretty good overall and definitely worth the $8 to see it. Carrell did a decent job as Maxwell Smart and I would become Agent 69 for Anne Hathaway :Q. It didn't feel like 2 hours long, which is probably a good thing.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Rill22
I wish I could see a movie for $6.75.

Heh, exactly what I was thinking. The place it's playing at here, the movies are over double that.

KT

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Rill22
I wish I could see a movie for $6.75.

You and me both. The cheapest movie theater around is $8 for matinee, $9 at night.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Madwand1
They should have asked Mike Myers to play the lead.

You are shitting me right? He should go back to Canada and just retire. No offense Canada, but please take him back and revoke his passport.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I'm going to see it this afternoon with my friends... I hope it's as good as people are saying.