Get Smart -- Any takers?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just went to see it with some friends -- was genuinely entertained. It started off VERY good, then got kinda slow heading towards the end, but it was worth $6.75.

Then again, I never saw the original series, so I have nothing to compare it to.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I loved the original series when I was young but I don't think that Steve Carrell will make me laugh very much.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
I loved it. Steve Carrell and (surprisingly) the Rock were funny enough, and Anne Hathaway is gorgeous. Definitely a good flick to catch with a few friends; I imagine it'd be even funnier if said friends are drunk.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I usually see movies on the second week, less crowded theatres, so I'll hit it next weekend. I like the three main stars, but I'm mostly going because I loved the show.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
I loved it. Steve Carrell and (surprisingly) the Rock were funny enough, and Anne Hathaway is gorgeous. Definitely a good flick to catch with a few friends; I imagine it'd be even funnier if said friends are drunk.
Yes, this is quite true.
I also used to work with someone who looked very much like her.

Yeah yeah, I know, I know. No pics. Fail. Etc etc.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
From the clip I saw on The Daily Show, it seems like they changed the personality of Maxwell Smart to fit Steve Carrell's The Office character.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The original was one of my favorites as a kid. 99 had nothing to do with that.
I am looking forward to it but I don't go to theaters, I'll wait till it comes out on DVD.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
looks terrible... good reviews won't make me see it at the theater though, maybe wait for it to come to video

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
i have free passes to go see it on the 3rd of july (why that time and date, no clue)... but i was a fan of the show on nick-at-nite reruns so a combo of being a fan of the origianl and free will get me in a seat to watch it.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
I never saw the original, so I have no reference point. I saw it this weekend and, while I thought it had amusing moments and several folks seemed to laugh out loud quite a bit, I didn't think it was all that great. I thought Carrell's character seemed inconsistent.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
My expectations going in were mediocre at best, but that was quickly shattered-- Hilariously awesome movie!

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Just went to see it with some friends -- was genuinely entertained. It started off VERY good, then got kinda slow heading towards the end, but it was worth $6.75.

Then again, I never saw the original series, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Wow, I thought everyone had seen at least a re-run of Get Smart.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It was really good. Not a clone of the series, but I think it would have been outdated if they tried to copy it. The characters were good and it was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Maybe the second best movie this summer behind Iron Man. I'll wait until I see some of the others coming up to give it a final rating, though.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I want to see it but will probably see it next weekend if at all in the theaters.

I tend to see action flicks in the theaters and wait until DVD for everything else.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pale Rider

Wow, I thought everyone had seen at least a re-run of Get Smart.

Nope, never seen one episode. I knew the them song, but that's about it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

did they have the original agent 99 (Barbara Feldon) guest star? (origninal Maxwell Smart <Don Adam> died in 2005)

like in the 2008 hulk where they had the original TV hulk guest star in a minor role.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I also saw it and it was pretty funny. The plot was a little thin and there were some big holes, but overall it was worth seeing if you like Steve Carell. He plays a somewhat more competent version of his character on the Office.