Gerard Depardieu becomes a Russian citizen.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/depardieu-tax-fight-gets-russian-citizenship-115743682.html

The Kremlin has cast Gerard Depardieu in one of the most surprising roles of his life — as a new Russian citizen.

The announcement Thursday that President Vladimir Putin has approved Depardieu's application for citizenship is almost a real-life analogue to the French actor's 1990 comedy "Green Card," in which his character enters into a sham marriage in order to work in the United States.

But in this version, taxes appear to be at the heart of the matter. Depardieu has waged a battle against a proposed super tax on millionaires in his native country

The face of the most hated man in France:
20286996.jpg

Apparently first he moved to Belgium and he didn't even like the low tax rate there. So he moved to a brutal dictatorship instead.

This shows two things. The rich are often the least patriotic of citizens, putting money before country.

And two, that no matter how low you set your tax rate unless you have adequate laws the blood sucking rich will seek to take the money they earned in your country and leave to any country that offers them a better deal.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So you're just now realizing that social welfare states need the rich ( more specifically, their money) more than the other way round? Alternatively, what does France have to offer the rich?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
So you're just now realizing that social welfare states need the rich ( more specifically, their money) more than the other way round? Alternatively, what does France have to offer the rich?

The welfare state dont need the super rich at all. Its the rich that needs everyone else, since they hardly contribute at all to the productivity. I dont know wher ethe myth comes from that its the rich that carries society. Its always and will always be the middleclass.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The welfare state dont need the super rich at all.

Who will pay for the welfare state if not the rich? You planning to tax the middle class to spread the wealth?

That said I find it funny and sad that a rich guy will leave France to go live in what is turning into a dictatorship in Russia. That should tell the tax grabbers how far the rich will go to evade their idiotic tax schemes.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Sorry, but I had to do a spit take.
You mean what did France offer besides money for his first films under Frances laws that promote home grown movies? Or the hugely successful society that gave the French the money to attend his films?

I guess now he can hang out with all the super rich Russian movie stars who made a fortune. Oh, wait...

Apr 27, 2012

LOL at OP calling these guys blood sucking when they help pay for many of the social services and welfare

OP, How about we kick out all the rich people and surely the US would be better off

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Shocking I tell you! You tell people you're going to steal their money and they <gasp> leave! Who would have thought such a thing :rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2012
Shocking I tell you! You tell people you're going to steal their money and they <gasp> leave! Who would have thought such a thing :rolleyes:

I know, these guys really are idiots. More people need to leave the US to avoid the high taxes and send a message to the welfare leeches and a big F u to them

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Why do conservatives hate the U.S. so much?
Why don't they just leave?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Yes Exactly along with all the other welfare leeches. How did you not understand my post?

they cant be welfare leeches when I willingly want my tax dollars to fund the programs that give them assistance.

I suspect I paid more fed tax last year than you made in wages.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Sorry, but I had to do a spit take.
You mean what did France offer besides money for his first films under Frances laws that promote home grown movies? Or the hugely successful society that gave the French the money to attend his films?

I guess now he can hang out with all the super rich Russian movie stars who made a fortune. Oh, wait...

I don't really know all that much about the Supertax, perhaps it was unfair. But I think this guy is going to be in for a rude awakining.

Living in France >>>>>>>>>> living in Russia. What's he going to do when he realizes that there aren't croissant bakeries on every corner? What's he going to do when he realizes that there's no such think as the Russian Riviera? How's that first -50 degree winter going to be?

And then we get to the massive corruption at both state and municpal levels, the mafia, state surveillance, etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, there is something undeniably intriguing about Russian culture, the gutsy, gritty people, the pretty girls... but I would never ever live there.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't really know all that much about the Supertax, perhaps it was unfair. But I think this guy is going to be in for a rude awakining.

Living in France >>>>>>>>>> living in Russia. What's he going to do when he realizes that there aren't croissant bakeries on every corner? What's he going to do when he realizes that there's no such think as the Russian Riviera? How's that first -50 degree winter going to be?

And then we get to the massive corruption at both state and municpal levels, the mafia, state surveillance, etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, there is something undeniably intriguing about Russian culture, the gutsy, gritty people, the pretty girls... but I would never ever live there.

For the 75% in taxes he's saving, he afford to build lots of bakeries plus lots of plane tickets to places with warmer climates. France has nothing unique even in the francosphere, much less the larger world.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
He can build all the bakeries he wants, who's going to bake in them? Yes, of course he can take vacations, he couldn't take vacations before?

Apr 27, 2012
they cant be welfare leeches when I willingly want my tax dollars to fund the programs that give them assistance.

I suspect I paid more fed tax last year than you made in wages.

Doesn't matter, If you want to donate money to charity then go ahead but you cant force others to pay their taxes for it.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Doesn't matter, If you want to donate money to charity then go ahead but you cant force others to pay their taxes for it.

It does matter I pay taxes and want my tax dollars funding these programs.

Why is how you want tax dollars spent important but me who in all likelihood pays way more than you isn't important?

Apr 27, 2012
It does matter I pay taxes and want my tax dollars funding these programs.

Why is how you want tax dollars spent important but me who in all likelihood pays way more than you isn't important?

That is what you think but not fact

The reason is that many of these programs shouldn't exist and dont work, so why I should be forced to pay for them?

If you really want to help people which you dont then you would donate to charity instead of this waste

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
That is what you think but not fact

The reason is that many of these programs shouldn't exist and dont work, so why I should be forced to pay for them?

If you really want to help people which you don't then you would donate to charity instead of this waste

they are fed programs passed by law, I like the fact my taxes fund them.

Just because You think they shouldn't exist doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. You get to choose how your tax dollars are spent via your representatives just like the rest of us, I don't like my tax dollars going to fund war and unneeded defense but a big chunk of it does go for that.

Your ignorance is not accounting for the millions of folks that disagree with you, in fact at this point in time the majority of Americans disagree with you. and because I am in the majority in my desire to see tax dollars go to welfare and social programs, they get funded.

Your real complaint is your minority viewpoint isn't held by the rest of us, in fact that seems to be the overreaching theme in most of your posts.

crying about how unfair it is your tax dollars go to fund what the majority of us has decided it will fund.

Apr 27, 2012
they are fed programs passed by law, I like the fact my taxes fund them.

Just because You think they shouldn't exist doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. You get to choose how your tax dollars are spent via your representatives just like the rest of us, I don't like my tax dollars going to fund war and unneeded defense but a big chunk of it does go for that.

Your ignorance is not accounting for the millions of folks that disagree with you, in fact at this point in time the majority of Americans disagree with you. and because I am in the majority in my desire to see tax dollars go to welfare and social programs, they get funded.

Your real complaint is your minority viewpoint isn't held by the rest of us, in fact that seems to be the overreaching theme in most of your posts.

crying about how unfair it is your tax dollars go to fund what the majority of us has decided it will fund.

I suggest you read the Constitution, you and your supporters are the ones displaying ignorance.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I suggest you read the Constitution, you and your supporters are the ones displaying ignorance.

I suggest you tell me specially what in the constitution applies to what I wrote.

But you won't because it doesn't outside of your imagination.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Haha, I had to Google him to even see what movies he was in. He looks like a wacko, I'd say good riddance...