Georgia open carry test. How would you respond?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should police be called? Would you call the police?

• Total voters

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Isn’t the problem that the presence of a person so accoutered reminds us of the truth we do not want to face?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Even if he has a right to carry all that stuff even if it makes those around him uncomfortable, you have a right to call the cops and let them make him uncomfortable.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Isn’t the problem that the presence of a person so accoutered reminds us of the truth we do not want to face?
Not no but fuck no! A housewife and her two children shopping at Walmart aren’t gonna be thinking about the reasons why some incel is carrying all that shit. She's just gonna be fucking horrified and scared.

Reactions: DaaQ

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I live in Florida so I can hardly throw stones at anyone. Georgia has shown itself to be slightly more civilized in recent years, not saying a lot.

Open carry is insane. Most of the rest of the world aside from banana republics would agree, but we've got to have our little experiment where the unevolved plains apes get to carry ever bigger sticks. Not a problem really, we'll kill ourselves through fake news before we all get shot up by people "defending" themselves with military weaponry. You never know when rabid meth addicts are going to leap from the hedges after all.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If the guy was black he'd have been executed immediately, problem solved. No one I know thinks open carry is a good idea, and that includes my gun nut friends. If I didn't know it was against the law or the store policy, I'd certainly speak with an employee and let them know about the guy. I would not call the cops myself unless it was known to be definitely illegal and he was acting like something was up.

Open carry is just stupid for the public in general.
In general yes. But how about women on first dates in states that have banned abortions even for rape and have open carry laws?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Absolutely call the police if someone is acting in a suspicious manner with dangerous weapons or if their presence is disrupting others. As a lay person, you have absolutely no burden to determine if someone's actions are legal or not. If you have sufficient reason to think something is possibly very unsafe, get someone on scene who is trained to figure that out and respond.

This is entirely separate from a discussion of whether the police handled this encounter correctly and legally. The article notes that he "was charged Thursday with five counts of criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of a firearm during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies." The police needed sufficient cause to arrest him for intent to commit crimes with those firearms and mere possession would not suffice. If they didn't have sufficient cause, then they violated his civil rights.

Also, there is no pro-social reason to walk around in public areas with that level of arming. Whether or not you have a legal right to do something doesn't reflect on whether you should actually do it.

Reactions: Artorias

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What, that we're all idiots and will eventually die? I don't think any of us are kidding ourselves with that, maybe just trying to avoid it happening sooner than necessary.
Please don't imply I am suggesting we're all idiots that will eventually die. That will happen to all of us. My wish is that I could do so without fear. A person walking around with arms and a mask is an object onto which I can readily project just how far from acceptance of reality I really am.

Perhaps you've read, "Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once."

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Please don't imply I am suggesting we're all idiots that will eventually die. That will happen to all of us. My wish is that I could do so without fear. A person walking around with arms and a mask is an object onto which I can readily project just how far from acceptance of reality I really am.

Perhaps you've read, "Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once."
And the foolish generally don't realize how close they are to death every day. Maybe we shouldn't enable easy death on the foolish? Or maybe we should, too many of us running around anyhow.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not no but fuck no! A housewife and her two children shopping at Walmart aren’t gonna be thinking about the reasons why some incel is carrying all that shit. She's just gonna be fucking horrified and scared.
I think you are confusing a natural reaction that almost everybody would have with trying to understand on a deeper level why they have it. I understand your point of view. I am interested for myself. I live as though I were a leaf in the breeze blown this way and that because I have no control over fear. I know the problem, I do not know the cure. But I do believe there are some who are not like me.

We say we believe in the principle of innocent until proven guilty but do we live like that? Perhaps the reason that we see in others feelings we imagine they are having about us that are in fact feelings we have but have unconsciously. Calling 911 will not root out those feelings I don't think.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This happened 2 years ago.
What happened to him?

edit
Marley was arrested without incident and booked on 11 felonies, and he was held without bail after a judge ruled that he was a threat to the public.

Then, 10 months later, the charges were dropped because—under Georgia gun laws, which have become increasingly lenient in recent years—there’s nothing felonious about carrying loaded guns and wearing body armor in public.
There is so much wrong there!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
And the foolish generally don't realize how close they are to death every day. Maybe we shouldn't enable easy death on the foolish? Or maybe we should, too many of us running around anyhow.
I have heard it suggested that a constant awareness of death makes life worth living.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
How absurd that they couldn't even get even get him booked for disturbing the peace, this incident is the literal definition.

Whether or not you have a legal right to do something doesn't reflect on whether you should actually do it.

Bingo. A lot of people seem to not understand this concept in modern society.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
There is so much wrong there!

He was arrested despite not violating any laws. He was held in jail for 10 months.

Let that sink in.
Committed no crime and held in lock up for 10 months.

Does anyone have a follow-up with details?
What happened after they released him? I see some commentary that when they released them, they immediately filed new misdemeanor charges against him and locked him up again. Does anyone know his current status?

Reactions: WelshBloke

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Now that I think about it this is pretty amusing. I think under current Supreme Court jurisprudence in the movie Tombstone Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, etc. are the bad guys - attempting to unconstitutionally confiscate the arms of the Cowboys.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
My viewpoint FWIW is that private property rights trump the 2a and that it is completely unreasonable to deny a property owner their right to control how their property is protected.
The open carry advocates seem to be of the opinion that their 2a trumps private property rights and they have the right to appoint themselves defenders of other peoples' properties, both of which are bullshit.
I'm a gun owner myself, and support the 2a, but disrepecting others' property because you fancy yourself a hero is delusional and an infringement on the rights of others.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The specific language quoted by the article states that an individual can "legally carry a concealed firearm" so then because the perp was concealing more than one sidearm, I may assume he is breaking the law in this regard?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Now that I think about it this is pretty amusing. I think under current Supreme Court jurisprudence in the movie Tombstone Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, etc. are the bad guys - attempting to unconstitutionally confiscate the arms of the Cowboys.
Seems like it.
Val-Kilmer.jpg

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Wouldn't call it in. It's not dangerous until a barrel is pointed at you, or someone else. If that happened, yeah, call that shit in.
I calmly watched the timer on that stick of dynamite countdown for 20 mins. When it reached 5 seconds I thought I had better call that shit in.

What happened to "if you see something, say something"?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So you support mandatory open carry, for the betterment of everyone's life?
No, I find it to be a profoundly emotionally offensive thing to do. I think it indicates a person who has been so emotionally beaten down they have no hope at all they could ever be praised for positive actions. All they can hope for is feeding their immature egos with negative attention.

I would never support mandatory conceal carry either. Even optional conceal carry has I lot of issues.

My primary interest with the 2nd amendment issues generally is that I don’t think the real issue is guns but the degenerate state of American morality. The system fucks people and they want revenge. We’re it absent, guns would not be such an issue. I see efforts to go after guns as an avoidance of the real issue. Our system is sick and we are emotionally attached to it. Winning at competition feeds ego.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The only reason you open carry is to intimidate. Period.

If you're concerned about your safety, conceal carry.

Reactions: zinfamous