Georgia open carry test. How would you respond?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should police be called? Would you call the police?

• Total voters

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If someone panicked and pulled their CC to shoot the idiot, could you blame them?

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
I mean yeah.
It's not the four hand guns, the shot gun or the AR that's worrying.
It's the knitted headwear.
Americans be crazy.
o_O
It's having the ski mask and the guns together, that particularly raises alarm bells for me.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Trying to explain this to kids is hard. We had a whole conversation around "escalation and provocation" around this very topic. It was in regards to some conversation my teen had in a high school class about if it should be illegal to walk around in body armor. When you combine provocative actions like open carry with body armor all it takes is one "good guy with a gun" to misread it and now you have a shootout.

Well done assholes. Well done. This has nothing to do with exercising a right. You just want to be a dramatic asshole. And someone is going to shot over it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm still a little...mad...anxious? I don't know the exact emotion from a freaking birthday party I took one of my kids to in Kentucky. It was a sunday at 11am at a bowling alley for a 6 year old's birthday party and some hillbilly comes in with his kid with a semiauto pistol just openly strapped to his hip. He's got baggy ass pants and it's just casually flopping around banging against the ball return. I don't know what level of paranoia or compensation is going on there, but my kids were freaked out.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Publix is a private company so I believe they can say no firearms allowed.
That is next battle ground for these nutters. Businesses in Oklahoma already can't ban guns from their parking lots. I think some of our idiot legislators introduced a bill last year to make it illegal for businesses to disallow carrying in their buildings.

Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That is next battle ground for these nutters. Businesses in Oklahoma already can't ban guns from their parking lots. I think some of our idiot legislators introduced a bill last year to make it illegal for businesses to disallow carrying in their buildings.
So gun rights trump all private property rights. Nice

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm not up on US law. Is the new legislation more or less liberal on open carry?
Nothing to do with US law, but the laws of individual states.

I live in a state that has always been an open carry state. But that type of behavior would get one charged with Going Armed to the Terror of the People

A person guilty of this offense
(1) arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon
(2) for the purpose of terrifying others and
(3) goes about on public highways
(4) in a manner to cause terror to the people.

I would say that carrying 6 guns into a grocery store qualifies.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Publix is a private company so I believe they can say no firearms allowed.
Publix "requested" customers not to bring firearms into the store despite the open carry law. They don't want the standoff from 2A nutbags when they are stopped at the door.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Publix "requested" customers not to bring firearms into the store despite the open carry law. They don't want the standoff from 2A nutbags when they are stopped at the door.

How is that not an immediate lawsuit from the property owner??? We're a stupid fucking country.

Reactions: KMFJD

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My view on banning guns has changed drastically after this past Christmas Eve. My brother in law was shot and killed on Christmas Eve. I am pretty confident after the investigation finishes that it's going to be an argument that happened and the other guy shot and killed him. He was a felon with a stolen gun. That means at some point, that gun was in the hands of a "responsible gun owner" until it was stolen and the owner became irresponsible.

Had there been no gun there, I 100% believe my brother in law would be alive.

You do not realize how many people's lives are affected by a sudden death like this. He was 32. He leaves behind 3 kids who now have no dad.

This kind of stuff happens regularly in the USA. It simply does not happen in any other country with the frequency that it happens here because most other countries have half a brain and ban guns.

I am 100% behind fully banning all guns at this point. It's just not worth it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How is that not an immediate lawsuit from the property owner??? We're a stupid fucking country.
GA law doesn't prevent businesses from banning firearms but how do you enforce? Soon as some moron tries to enter with his AR-15 a standoff ensues.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
GA law doesn't prevent businesses from banning firearms but how do you enforce?

Oh, thought it was a jurisdiction where it was " ... shall allow" was on the books.

In that case, trespassing and call local sheriff. Most areas have a stricter penalty for trespassing w/firearm. Although I'm sure that's gonna eventually disappear as well.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Like I keep saying, I want a mass shooting at a NRA conference. Let’s see once it directly affects them if they change their minds.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Like I keep saying, I want a mass shooting at a NRA conference. Let’s see once it directly affects them if they change their minds.
They don't generally allow loaded guns. At least not at any of the speeches.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I also don't see gun shows allowing open carrying of firearms.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This happened 2 years ago.
What happened to him?

edit
Marley was arrested without incident and booked on 11 felonies, and he was held without bail after a judge ruled that he was a threat to the public.

Then, 10 months later, the charges were dropped because—under Georgia gun laws, which have become increasingly lenient in recent years—there’s nothing felonious about carrying loaded guns and wearing body armor in public.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
If the guy was black he'd have been executed immediately, problem solved. No one I know thinks open carry is a good idea, and that includes my gun nut friends. If I didn't know it was against the law or the store policy, I'd certainly speak with an employee and let them know about the guy. I would not call the cops myself unless it was known to be definitely illegal and he was acting like something was up.

Open carry is just stupid for the public in general.