Georgia high school students to host whites-only prom? WTF!?<<Update: O'Reilly rips our governor a new one>>

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
These people sure as hell are, but Atlanta is the polar opposite. It's an amazingly integrated city.
...and Macon.

It's been my opinion for awhile that Atlanta is a northern city stuck in a redneck state.
Where was I the first time I heard the word n***** (didn't know the forums blocked it until now)? Another Albany; in New York.
It's as good and bad everywhere, just not as loud in some places.

I have a question for you all- If a group of black students wanted to have an all-black prom, would you agree with that?
Sure. The group of said white students can have theirs, too. That doesn't make it less wrong.

Maybe you should get your rednecks in line.
Most of us prefer not getting that close. Springer can handle 'em better than us.

To sum it all up: Zappy was right about hydrogen and stupidity.

Afro000Dude

Feb 6, 2003
We were having a "cultural day" at my school, and our principal (who is a black woman) came to my class to talk about it. This Mexican girl (I know for a fact she is Mexican, not a stereotype) was wearing a shirt that said "brown and proud." The principal said that shirts like that were good to wear, and that it was good to be proud of one's heritage. So this other guy (who was white) says "So can I wear a shirt that says 'white and proud'?" The principal says "No, that would be racist."

Not promoting racism, but why can't white people be proud of their heritage?

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
As a resident of Georgia, it doesn?t surprise me. What I tell people is that when you get about 50 miles outside the Atlanta City limits, you are entering another country.:)

What's really stupid is that these same white parents root for the black athletes on the school teams, but don't like it when their little darlings get together and dance.

Georgia ought to be ashamed. It is hard to believe that the same state that hosted the Olympics is also the same state that harbors the Augusta National mess, has residents proud to have defeated the previous governor over their beloved flag and so-called 'heritage', the lowest SAT scores in the nation, and now this. Move over Alabama and Mississippi, Georgia is now the redneck capitol of the world!

DanceMan

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
Well, at least the school isn't directly involved, or it'd be QUITE illegal. Still bugs the hell outta me though. How can this happen in a day and age like this?

EASY, come visit one of our schools on any give day of the week. Thank GOD I'm otta HS, but it was this bad.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Afro000Dude
We were having a "cultural day" at my school, and our principal (who is a black woman) came to my class to talk about it. This Mexican girl (I know for a fact she is Mexican, not a stereotype) was wearing a shirt that said "brown and proud." The principal said that shirts like that were good to wear, and that it was good to be proud of one's heritage. So this other guy (who was white) says "So can I wear a shirt that says 'white and proud'?" The principal says "No, that would be racist."

Because white people's heritage is being the opressor, while the brown people's heritage is being the opressed. Therefore, white people cannot be proud of their heritage.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

White devil you!!! ;)

hehe, you shoud've challenged her on that BS statement.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: classy
Originally posted by: Millennium
LOL. And just think of all the stuff many here say when I and few others still talk about the racism and still the need for programs like AA. Just think here it is 2003 and they had their first integrated prom last year. Last YEAR.

If you think Southern GA is indicative of a majority of people's feelings, you are lost. The only place where racism still exists is in uneducated or bigoted people. After all, Classy you tend to threaten people if they don't agree with you.

On the contrary small "mill". Most of you guys talk down on minorities here, except Asians. I have never seen a thread ever that gave minorities some credit here. They are always negative. And generally possess info from people that
A. Never even talk to a black person
B. Never even talk to a minority
C. Second hand knowledge that they heard from their cousin's, brother's, mother's, uncle.
D. How can a group of people talk about another group of people without bias objectively when they only talk to people who look and believe like them.

Case in point I hear all the bs bad stuff about AA but never ever hear any of the good. Hmmmmm.

I don't understand where you are seeing this mystery information. I haven't seen many threads that were negative about African Americans. I have seen negativity about Indians, Asians, and the like, but not African Americans. I am sure it has happened, but a lot less than you state.

BTW, let me have some fun with your little list:

A. Everyday I do.
B. Everyday I do.
C. ????
D. Your assumption is wrong.

Why do I have to defend myself to you? You are the closeted racist praying for a "race war."

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000

What SuperTool said. It's one thing to celebrate a European heritage, but facing facts, when it comes to race, whites' most obvious legacy in this country is several hundred years of owning slaves and discrimination. Even if only a minority of whites were the ones doing it, it affects the heritage of everyone else

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: yellowperil

What SuperTool said. It's one thing to celebrate a European heritage, but facing facts, when it comes to race, whites' most obvious legacy in this country is several hundred years of owning slaves and discrimination. Even if only a minority of whites were the ones doing it, it affects the heritage of everyone else

That's just stupid and PC. If someone can wear a "Brown and Proud" shirt then someone can wear a "White and Proud" shirt.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

I think that is ludicrous. The white kid should be allowed to wear the 'white and proud' shirt. However, i want to divert a little and say that you have to look at the historical precedent between words and phrases. When you hear someone who says, 'white power', that has a lot of connection with racist groups trying to put down minorities. When you hear the phrase 'black power', it's more associated with the civil rights movement where black people were trying to overcome oppression.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
blacks should have had a no cracker prom...

Good lord, I'm amazed that this still goes on...then again the county is home to only 8800 people on 2000 square miles(4.4 people per square mile). It's 150 miles from Atlanta, so I guess it is safe to say that it is redneckville.

Those people wanting to email them and let them hear about it... link

of course then again it was named for Zachary Taylor who owned 118 slaves when he was elected and took 64 more bringing the grand total up to 182 slaves owned at one time.....a true revolutionary
rolleye.gif

unless this is a private school aren't they breaking the law? Plessy v. Fergusson was overturned in 64, which established that there could not be segregation in public places.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak

That's just stupid and PC. If someone can wear a "Brown and Proud" shirt then someone can wear a "White and Proud" shirt.

I don't like the principal's answer either, but I can see her point. What I would have done is to ask both students what they would be proud of. It would have then been interesting to debate the answers given.

DanceMan

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I was being sarcastic.
<--- White and Proud :D
But in all seriousness, the Japanese killed and raped a lot of people in WW2, does it tarnish the heritage of all Asians, even though most of the victims were Asian too?

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool

I was being sarcastic.
But in all seriousness, the Japanese killed and raped a lot of people in WW2, does it tarnish the heritage of all Asians, even though most of the victims were Asian too?

It's not the same. Most Asians can still strongly identify with their emigrated country and it's associated heritage (often determined by last name). Most non-immigrant multi-generational whites and blacks cannot. The best that most can do is to identify the continent (especially if they haven't attempted to research their family). Even the last name might not be fully indicative of their true heritage. So Asians aren't affected as much, because they can rightly point out they are not (or are) Japanese, but most whites in America get lumped in with the bad, even if their ancestors may had not anything to do with the past.

However, there are plenty of people who are not Asian who can't tell the differences between them, and then yes, they can sometimes suffer in that case.

DanceMan

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000

Jesse Jackson and his mass of oompa loompas at work!
(Oomp loompas just because it makes for a trippy mental image)
'cause ya see, there were never any black people from Africa who sold these people slaves, often for guns and booze. No, it was all the fault of the people buying them. Slavery was legal. The Africans had people to sell. The slave-owners share blame, but these people never think that it was their 'heritage' that gave their ancestors into slavery in the first place.

Cerb, part American (if the circumstantial evidence is correct--records are sparse for white/indian couples--I'm 1/16. If the written records are right, I'm 1/32), part French, part English, part Irish (Dodds, and can be traced right back to Dodd county), and maybe more if the guys in NYC didn't want people to change their names and histories, fuzzying up the records.
I've got all the genes for a stalwart wuss who's elitist and a good drinker.

Now I'm off to put all this wierd stuff into more productive uses: NPCs for my D&D game.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
With John Travolta, Kevin Bacon and that i love you ass Patrick Swayze as the hieght of White Guy Dancers who the fsck wants to go to a Whites only Dance. It would be like attending a Whites only Basketball game.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool

I was being sarcastic.

Well I would say in S. Korea there is some residual resentment over the Japanese occupation, at least according to my parents. I don't think the atrocities committed by the Japanese in WWII (in other Asian countries) are really that big in the American consciousness so no I don't think it tarnishes their reputation here. Just like people in other countries don't see what the big fuss is about with America and racism because they aren't exposed to it.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

I find this almost..................well, to ridiculous to believe.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
LOL. And just think of all the stuff many here say when I and few others still talk about the racism and still the need for programs like AA. Just think here it is 2003 and they had their first integrated prom last year. Last YEAR.

If you think Southern GA is indicative of a majority of people's feelings, you are lost. The only place where racism still exists is in uneducated or bigoted people. After all, Classy you tend to threaten people if they don't agree with you.

On the contrary small "mill". Most of you guys talk down on minorities here, except Asians. I have never seen a thread ever that gave minorities some credit here. They are always negative. And generally possess info from people that
A. Never even talk to a black person
B. Never even talk to a minority
C. Second hand knowledge that they heard from their cousin's, brother's, mother's, uncle.
D. How can a group of people talk about another group of people without bias objectively when they only talk to people who look and believe like them.

Case in point I hear all the bs bad stuff about AA but never ever hear any of the good. Hmmmmm.

I don't understand where you are seeing this mystery information. I haven't seen many threads that were negative about African Americans. I have seen negativity about Indians, Asians, and the like, but not African Americans. I am sure it has happened, but a lot less than you state.

BTW, let me have some fun with your little list:

A. Everyday I do.
B. Everyday I do.
C. ????
D. Your assumption is wrong.

Why do I have to defend myself to you? You are the closeted racist praying for a "race war."

LOL. Most anti minority threads are about blacks, where you been? Race War? LOL Man if you think I want one, your dumber than I thought. Yea I guess I'll have to throw my wife out and cut my child in half. hehehehehe. You guys are so sensitive and stupid its pathetic. Grow up.

WarmAndSCSI

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
You have no idea... i live in northern Arkansas. The racist level here is almost intolerable. How can people be so closed minded?

We only like have 10 african americans within a 50 mile radius (I'm serious). And I'm like 1/10 of all asians in all of northern arkansas.

I guess all of the KKK activity scares them away...

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Most of you guys talk down on minorities here, except Asians.

Oh please. From what I've read here, AT doesn't discriminate when they discriminate. We have a bunch of pasty boys safely hiding behind computer screens while they throw hits below the belt at any and all races, ethnicities, sexuality groups (actually, just homosexuals), religions, beliefs, etc. You're not alone, classy. ;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Originally posted by: zippy
Wow...that's ridiculous. Who are these morons!?

They're probably democrats.
Uhh....no. Rural GA is largely Republican these days.

What the hell does it have to do with racism anyway? Seriously, that was just a pointless thing to say.