Gentle Typhoon 4250RPM/116.5CFM

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
[THE PICS AND NARRATIVE I PROMISED DURING THE GROWTH OF THIS THREAD ARE PRESENTED BELOW THIS ORIGINAL POST, WITH THE TITLE "DUCTING FOR DECIBELS"]

Some folks are still interested in the general Nidec Servo "Gentle Typhoon" fan line. I would suspect that most would pick those with lower CFM, RPM and therefore -- lower dBA.

I had been making a search for a 120x38 (or 120x25mm) PWM fan with output between 110 and 150CFM. Obviously to get 150CFM (the RATED airflow), a Delta 1.0A 50+dBA fan will make a lot of noise. I'd considered several options, and in the interim use a ducted 140mm Akasa to provide 113CFM to a 120mm case-exhaust port.

I don't know how I missed these GT 120x25mm fans:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_407_696&products_id=36549

It tops the Delta fan I'd looked at for RPM by 500RPM or more. but the noise level at the top end is only ~44dBA.

The Akasa generates half as much noise, but only has 3.5 mm H2O static pressure. But someone independently tested the Gentle Typhoon 4250 (see #2 of the "120mm High Speed Series" list:

http://dvtests.com/?p=13497

As opposed to the rated ~117CFM output, the test measured the GT4250 @ ~245 cu-m/hr or 144CFM!

I wager that I can both control the noise thermally (a given), and I can control it or attenuate it "acoustically." This is a "ducting" experiment, and you can use Spire acoustic foam to line a duct made to compensate overall inner diameter for the foam's thickness.

Anyway, people were complaining about the availability or perception that these GT fans weren't anymore in manufacture. So I thought I would post this, since this and other resellers still have them in stock to offer.

ADDENDUM -- A FORGOTTEN QUESTION:

Does anyone have experience with this particular 4,250 RPM Gentle Typhoon model? If the measured CFM output exceeds the rated spec by ~28 CFM, what would be the possibility that the rated top-end noise level is either more or less than the actual measured value, since the reviewer doesn't show any decibel measurements? The promotional "overview" of the fan suggests it was meant to be as quiet as possible, or that the "tone" of the fan and some design feature reduced the annoying "frequency" of the fan for human ears.

===========================
DUCTING FOR DECIBELS
===========================
As a veteran fan-collector, the Nidec-Servo Gentle Typhoon PWM AP-30 seems pretty incredible.

Figure%201.JPG

At speeds up to just over 2,000 RPM, the fan's characteristic hum seems difficult to hear if you could hear it at all.
The fan has variously been called a "beast" for its airflow and even resellers call it "loud." Acknowledging this, Nidec-Servo promotes the unit with the features of built-in, carefully-engineered acoustics. It is only my suspicion, but the ring of vent-holes around the rotating fan-hub doesn't seem intended for ventilation, and I could only guess that it has some sort of noise-cancellation purpose.

Figure%202.JPG

It does get better.

It is possible to attenuate further any motor noise as you explore three objectives: reduce temperature, maximize CFM at certain temperature thresholds, and take successful measures to bury the noise.

Of course, many in the overclocking community won't experience stress-test wattage peaks during their computer's ordinary usage. So this suggests creating two temperature profiles with thermal fan control: one for regular use and likely guaranteed to provide better than average cooling with less noise at known, proven overclock settings; and another for benchmarking or overclock stressing. There will be exceptions: enthusiasts who use their computers 24/7 for CPU-intensive tasks, "folding@home," etc.

You make the choice to use air-cooling or water. Either way, you need a good, efficient exhaust fan or fans of one type or another. If the throughput at working peak load sounds like an AC vent in a small room on a hot day, then the fan is mostly generating white-noise from air turbulence. Comparing the turbulence/white-noise and noise coming from the motor, the white noise is much more tolerable.

As I said, the Gentle Typhoon 4,250RPM PWM fan -- known as the "AP-30" -- has very little of any noise up to about 2,000 RPM without noise abatement. That is, "silence" seems fairly guaranteed between lowest possible idle (around 1,200) and 2000. Moving from there toward the 100% duty-cycle and ~4,200 RPM, both the white noise and the characteristic tone are more obvious. The tone is subtle at first, rising to its highest level above 3,700 RPM.

The AP-30 easily idles at 1,400 RPM at 25% duty-cycle. It is difficult to avoid assumptions or presuppositions that could prove inaccurate with real scientific measurement. We might want to think that CFM airflow increases linearly with both speed and noise, but we really don't know that for sure. What we do know: the fan is rated at ~117 CFM by the manufacturer, but independent tests showed something more promising:

http://dvtests.com/?p=13497

That review -- if you can believe it -- shows airflow results for the fan powered at 12V to be 244 cu-m/hr, or 144 CFM. Either way, it is "a beast."

On first testing the fan, I thought its top-end might have promise for a noise-attentuation project, and I could see how the high-end Typhoon hum could really seem annoying. People would complain that they're "loud" at high speed.

There are several ways to categorize fans. Some fans are promoted as case fans but may have cpu-fan usage; other fans are bundled with heatsinks and supposedly chosen to serve a wider range of personal tolerance. There are 3-pin fans and PWM fans. There are "silent" fans and "high-output" fans, and there are "Low Speed," "Medium," "High" and Ultra-High" fans. Those in the high-output or "high-speed" categories will usually have dBA noise ratings above 40 dBA.

The Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B9AP-30 can fit all of these profiles. It is quiet up to 2,100 RPM, where the most barely perceptible hum seems to arise. The hum is audible but hardly annoying to 2,400 RPM, but rises in both pitch and volume toward the top end. With the case open or otherwise no provision for noise abatement with the case closed, the high-end speeds exhibit noticeable sounds, but those sounds are at least matched by the white-noise of full-throttle output. The white noise doesn't have so much of an annoyance edge; the characteristic whirr of the Typhoon's top-end, is something else -- rising in pitch and volume as RPM increases.

It is unclear to me whether this whirring sound comes from the motor, or from a tone created by the fins. The white-noise has nothing of an easily identifiable tone. The high-end noise of the Typhoon other than the white-noise has a tonal quality and its pitch or frequency rises with RPM. We may attenuate the tone's loudness or intensity, but it will still be present more or less, even if we can attenuate it to a point where one must strain or even put on a hearing-aid to notice it. We want to make it less noticeable.

This is as much to say that we want the tone's volume so attenuated that the RPM at which it seems annoying his shifted upward and as near as possible to the top-end 4,200 RPM speed. "Near-as-possible" may just mean that we can attenuate the noise acceptably to run the fan as fast as we need to.

THE DUCTING PROJECT

There are two benefits for ducting your heatpipe cooler to an exhaust fan. The first of these has always obviously been more efficient cooling. The idea is to make all pressurized air in the case pass through the CPU cooler fins on its way to a quick exhaust.

There are a number of approaches. One could build a duct-box that would fit over an entire single or double-tower cooler, assuring that the only air that gets into it comes from the intake side, and all the exhaust air goes immediately through the case exhaust-fan without further mingling with case-interior air. Since this duct must be closed to the case-interior air except through an intake, it must be designed so that it has a "bottom" that mates up with the lowest cooler fin, with a hole in the bottom of the duct that matches the cooler-fin width and length. For a double-tower cooler, there would be a bottom with two such holes, with sides and a top that would seal off the space between the towers.

There is also a "minimalist" approach. If the duct mates up with the exhaust side of a single-tower cooler, you can assume that intake air will come from the other three sides and even the rear area of fins not covered by the duct -- as long as the duct is very close to the fins. With a double-tower cooler, one might put a "pusher-puller" fan like an AKASA 140R in the center of the cooler, which then adds a sort of duct of its own. It will draw air from three sides of the front tower. An exhaust-fan duct will then draw air from the three sides of the rear tower, including the exhaust air from the center fan.

THE FIRST AND SIMPLE DUCT -- CIRCA 2011: YEAR OF THE SANDY-BRIDGE BUILD

The nice thing about accumulating old fans that you don't want to use anymore: You can cut out the motors and glue together the shrouds for a ready-made duct:
Figure%204.JPG

120x38mm fan, one whole 120x25mm shroud, and a second 120mm shroud cut down and fitting the remaining gap to the cooler fins. The last two items were bonded with Super Glue; rubber rivets secured the fan to the case; nylon screws and nuts secured the middle fan shroud to the forward part of the fan.

WHY I DECIDED TO MAKE IMPROVEMENTS

This trouble all began two months ago, when I thought I had a problem with a 3-pin fan-port on my motherboard. I wanted to use more PWM fans with a Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL splitter, available at
www.sidewindercomputers.com .

This would allow me to power the fans directly from the PSU but controlling them from the mobo's CPU_FAN port. First on the list of my attentions was a Panaflo 120x38 exhaust fan shown in the last photo, which ran quietly to its top-end of 2,300 RPM, rated output of 103 CFM. At that speed, it would still offer some slight degree of white-noise under CPU load.

So I considered replacing it with a Delta PWM fan of the same size rated at ~150 CFM. I was avoiding the 120x25mm fans, just because I had a ready-made duct for a 120x38mm unit.

My case has a 120mm exhaust vent. I'd replaced the Noctua fan of my cooler with an Akasa 140R, and giving up the idea of the Delta, I got the idea to rig a duct which accommodated a square 140mm version of the Akasa -- offering rated output at 110 CFM. This worked fine, and here are the pictures of the ducting-mod I made which I might well have just left alone: it was virtually noiseless.

Unfortunately, I won't go through the trouble of re-installing this configuration in my machine, just to snap you a picture. Installation and removal is one of the primary challenges to ducting, and I've known myself to sacrifice convenience for in-place effectiveness.

Figure%206.JPG

The Akasa 140x25mm ducting mod

The idea with the Akasa fan was to put it in the middle of a duct -- to bury it deeper in the case. And of course, it wouldn't otherwise fit the 120mm vent.

But the problem with this and similar mods -- even the initial ducting of the 120x38mm Panaflo -- was the difficulty in assembly and removal. Using fan shrouds or a fan-adapter, it was tedious business getting all the pieces installed or removing them. I don't have the E-trade baby's hands and fingers. I was inclined to use rubber fan-rivets wherever I could in the assembly. Where I couldn't do so, I used nylon screws and nuts. When you want to clean kruft from the system, you'd want to be able to remove the ducting easily, and these concoctions I'd made didn't fill the bill.

Later, as forum members worried at a rumored prospect that the Gentle Typhoons weren't available or had gone out of production, I found a reseller who had them and discovered this AP-30 model. If my colleagues here revered some of the Typhoons for noiselessness, the exception was probably the AP-30, but the AP-30 had both a rated and tested output that I favored.

At first I thought to bury the AP-30 in the middle of the duct as I had done with the Akasa fan, thinking that pulling it a bit away from the metal case vent might promote airflow and reduce noise. I concocted a duct such that the last piece installed at the rear cooler fins would just slide into rails on the other part of the assembly:

Figure%207.JPG

But the nature of the mounting holes in the AP-30, my desire to use rubber rivets, and an error in measurement made me see the complexity of all this. I found that the complicated construction was 1mm too big to clear the cooler fins and I saw the trouble of mounting the fan midway between case and cooler. The AP-30 was also an ounce heavier than other fans, and I didn't like to see it hanging from another 120mm fan shroud secured with rubber rivets to the case. I threw up my hands and said "Simple is best!" But I nevertheless save this construction; it covers a wider area of the rear fins of my NH-D14 cooler. Perhaps I can trim it a bit with my Dremel and try again.

In the meantime, I retreated to the idea of mounting the AP-30 with rubber rivets directly to the case vent -- as most people do. All of these ideas of burying the fan in the case interior in the middle of the duct -- away from the vent -- are feasible, if you have the E-trade baby's hands and fingers. But you don't.

With the immediate concern that I needed to finish a simple duct for the fan and get my computer up and running again, I got out my pencil and paper, drew a simple duct-box for construction with foam art-board, and crossed my fingers that it would just slide in or out of its mount, or that it wouldn't somehow reorient itself. It had to mate up with the fan or just barely overlap one edge of it. So this is what I came up with:

Figure%208.jpg

Figure%209.jpg

Figure%2010.JPG

Somehow, once inserted, the duct didn't need any hooks or tabs to keep it in place. The L-shaped frame on one side of the duct held it secure and resting on the cooler itself. And I began to imagine that the art-board duct would attenuate noise. Maybe it did -- a little. But the hard surface of the duct interior also reflected noise.

ACOUSTIC ENHANCEMENT

The second benefit never mentioned in early ducting "literature" of engineering students trying to obtain better cooling with any heatsink or heatpipe cooler: since the duct covers the fan on the intake side, the duct material can be chosen to attentuate sound.

Foam art board also has decent acoustic properties for noise-deadening, but the paper-backing on its surface is so hard that it will reflect sound before it absorbs it. The reflected sound then bounces around the cooler fins.

Once the duct is completed, patches of Spire noise-deadening foam rubber can be applied to its exterior. Better yet, you can carefully add the Spire in rectangular pieces to the interior, perhaps securing them with a little bit of Super Glue if you worry that they might come loose and foul the fan propeller.

I might have made the duct-box bigger just to accommodate the interior Spire pieces, but they are 1/4" thick, and don't significantly reduce the airflow, when you consider that the box or chamber is larger than the circular fan aperture by dimensions of the four plastic corners of the fan shroud.

Figure%2011.JPG

I applied Spire foam in stages, testing each application to see how the fan's tone had been attenuated at various speeds. For instance, I decided the fan needed an acoustic "horseshoe" or collar.

Figure%2012.jpg

Since the horseshoe's open side faces the thin metal of the I/O plate devices on the motherboard, I modified it again and added a fourth side.
I further added a second layer of Spire rubber on the duct exterior, but I couldn't put another piece of it on the side that faced the case side-panel. One piece just fit; two pieces would rub against the side-panel when you removed or replaced it.

Without anything in the way of measured acoustic tests, I can only say that a noise-dampened duct box has a significant positive effect in reducing noise volume -- the decibel level. Perhaps it has a greater effect on noise that seems motor-generated, or on the higher-pitched hums and whistles we've come to expect from fans that are not noiseless.

Under this reduced noise volume, certain aspects of noise kick in at the same time whether or not the duct-box and noise-abatements are installed. You can attenuate the higher-frequency tones of the fan, but you cannot get rid of the white-noise from air turbulence. So at higher RPMs and output, your computer may sound like a nearby air-conditioning vent on a hot day.

You might consider cutting out all or part of the perforated case exhaust vent metal to reduce turbulence and improve airflow, but that's too extreme a modification to your case when the white noise is a low-annoyance factor. So you can choose to live with it. With carefully chosen thermal fan control, you won't hear it for the most part unless you're stress-testing, and as I said, it's an "air-conditioning vent" for the noise.

ADDITIONAL FOOTNOTES ON DUCTING

You can't design a standard duct that will fit all cases and all coolers. You can't design a single duct that will fit all cases for a single cooler. It is a customization: there are as many duct designs according to how much you want to cover the cooler, and for either the "minimalist" or total approach. The number of different duct designs will be a cartesian product of all available cases on the market and all relevant coolers on the market.

My duct is better than the original 2011 design because the interior of the box has a greater volume than the fan shroud pieces of the original design. But it doesn't cover the entirety of the cooler fin's rear edges. A 140mm fan mounted symmetrically to my 120mm case exhaust vent exactly matches the lowest fin of the NH-D14. These things are peculiar and specific to my choice of a case (the HAF 922) and the NH-D14 cooler.

The duct based on the dimensions of a 120mm fan misses a few cooler fins at the bottom. It also doesn't cover the entire width of the cooler fins, and it overhangs the cooler on two sides by either 5 mm or 1 cm -- the reason the duct needed the two L-shaped frame pieces. Those were not initially intended to hold the duct in place -- but they do. The intention was to prevent air from being exhausted before entering the cooler fins.

So the square size of the duct could be replaced by a rectangular duct to fit the entirety of the rear cooler fins. It would require some precise measurement, and an additional rectangular piece covering the rear side of the duct and leaving a 120x120mm hole for the fan. This would enhance airflow and efficiency, and allow for at least the same attention to acoustic padding. How much it would further reduce temperatures, I cannot say. I'll have to build one and try it.

But I have improved the duct chamber size and acoustically deadened the characteristic hum of the Gentle Typhoon AP-30. By doing so, the volume of the tone generated at about 2,400 RPM is now about equal to what one hears at 3,400 RPM. And there is an another peculiar result of this experience.

People refer to a certain noisiness of PWM fans as a direct result of the PWM control. That's just what I'd read or heard. I discovered when running my AI Suite's "Fan Xpert" CPU fan test that the software begins at the fan's lowest possible RPM at about 20% duty cycle, and measures the speeds above that in 10% increments -- completing the test at the 4,200 RPM top-end and 100% duty cycle. It makes these changes as quickly as it can -- just so the software can record the speed from the tach wire. The tone and ascending volume created in this test process seem louder at every level where it becomes apparent, and I took note of the sound at 3,200 and 3,600 RPM. Running a LinX or IBT stress-test that brings the fan-speed to these levels doesn't seem to create the same decibel volume of the tone. I cannot explain this, because in both cases the fans are under PWM control. But the difference seems noticeable.

This would only mean that under normal usage or stress-testing, the fan is likely to exhibit its characteristic tone at lower decibel volume than under a fan-testing program like AI Suite's "Fan Xpert." And as I said, I cannot explain why that would be the case. With all things that might otherwise benefit from objective testing of decibel levels with instruments, people might suggest my judgments have a dimension of imagination, and I might wonder the same thing myself.

This computer may be my final choice for air-cooling, and the next one is likely to include carefully-chosen water-cooling parts. I want to use a custom water cooling kit -- not an all-in-one unit like the Corsairs or the CoolerMaster Nepton 280L. I'd prefer that choice for the same reason I've been fanatical enough to do the ducting: I want the ability to improve both the cooling and the acoustics. Eventually, I think I'd like to build a bong cooler extension to an internal water-cooling configuration.

But we also want to keep our eye on developments in air-cooling heatpipes with vapor-chambers and other innovations. For instance, the advent of Noctua's successor for the NH-D14 which we expect some time after April may offer another ducting opportunity for both cooling and noise. By itself, the "D15" promises to increase heatsink-base thermal conductivity by 25%, so comparison benchmark tests are likely to be quite favorable.

Adding another 5C to those results with a custom fan duct may offer some stark thermal improvements over my experience with the NH-D14 -- or for that matter, any other heatpipe cooler on the market. The D15 with ducting mods might just trump all-in-one or CLC coolers like the current-model CM Nepton. And the manufacturers of install-it-and-fahget-it water coolers will need to come up with better models -- even at slightly higher prices.

For all that, this demonstrates that a $10 package of Spire acoustic padding needn't be applied to permanently gum up your case interior. Nor do you need to stick it on your fans, when you can simply build a horseshoe or collar reinforced by foam art-board. It is instead most useful in focused application directly to the source of the noise.

IF YOU'RE EASY BEING CRAZY ENOUGH . . .

Here I provide some guidance about tools and materials.

Tools:
There are a number of tools I always keep in my "computer tool-box." Some folks familiar with "joints" and "doobies" and "roaches" may know about the usefulness of certain surgical implements: the little clamps shaped like scissors which work like pliers and have a locking catch built-in to the handles. These things come in handy for retrieving parts you dropped into your motherboard, or pulling on fan-rivet nipples when your hands won't fit in confined spaces. I've had occasion to use them when attempting to place a 3-pin fan plug on an otherwise inaccessible motherboard fan-port. For the other thing, the legal usefulness now depends on the state in which you reside -- Colorado, Washington -- to a limited degree, states with "medical dispensaries."

Xacto knife -- I wish they made a better tool for cutting foam board, or perhaps a saw-blade for it. But you need this for scoring the paper-backing and cutting through the material in several patiently-executed passes.

Dremel with saw-wheel -- great for trimming foam board, when accessibility allows for holding the saw-wheel perpendicular to the surface. Also great for cutting the guts out of old fans.

Other things to keep handy: metal straight-edges, metric or English rulers, and whatever you think you might need.

Glue:
I had grown fond over the years for a particular formulation by Permatex found at auto-parts stores, known as "Pit Crew's Choice" automotive adhesive. It comes in a red tube, and is absolutely marvelous stuff. It is water-based, and solidifies into a translucent and slightly rubbery solid. You can use it for insulating wires, sticking wires and other parts to case-metal. And unlike the adhesive on Spire foam pads, it is easily removed without using a putty knife.

But I can no longer find it at auto-parts stores. The last tubes I'd purchased were found online, and those sources no longer have it. I finally located a motorcycle shop in Massachusetts several weeks ago, ordered three tubes and received two with a reduced invoice and apology stating that they had no more left and their supplier no longer offered it. Somebody! Please! Find me a substitute for Pit Crew's!

You might be able to use a glue like Pit-Crews for certain aspects of foam-board construction, but it isn't the first choice. Nor do you want to use a silicone-based adhesive sealant. It might work for this or that application, but it's a mess, really . . .

Super-Glue -- You can use Super-Glue to bond the paper backing on art-board and Spire rubber, but it will melt the foam if applied directly to it. You can also use it to build ducts from plastic fan-shrouds.

Poly-Zap Foam-Safe (or similar) -- can be had at a hobby-shop, and is expensive stuff. You get a couple ounces for at least $10. Like Super-Glue, it contains cyano-acrylates, will bond to your fingers. But it will bond just about anything including styro-foam and the art-board foam. There is, however, a cheaper alternative.

Hold-The-Foam -- a non-volatile formulation, it has the consistency of Pit-Crew's, seems to be water-based, and glues foam art-board very well. It just doesn't set as fast as Poly-Zap. But it's cheap! A $5 tube containing maybe three times more in volume than a bottle of Poly-Zap -- can be had at Michael's Arts & Crafts. Very promising stuff, and good for your wallet.

Speaking of Michael's.

Foam Art-board -- It comes in various sizes and colors. A 2'x3' panel can be had at Target for around $5. That's enough to complete a few ducting projects. At Michael's, you can get a 4'x3.5' folded display panel for about $16.

Lexan -- Great for building ducts if you have a heat-gun to shape it. More commonly used for case side-panel windows. A bit pricey. It will also reflect sound in ducting. But it sure looks nice with some LED lighting. You need Lexan glue to bond it. Again, the hobby shop offers "Poly-Zap Lexan glue." You'll also need a $3 plexi-glass knife to score and cut the stuff.

Spire Acoustic Foam-Rubber -- A $10 package is ample for several computer noise-reduction projects. It keeps well in storage: The package I'm still using is about 7 years old. Once you stick it to a side-panel and come back three months later to remove it, you are in for a frustrating exercise with a putty-knife and a can of lighter-fluid or some other solvent. Best applied in a way that doesn't require sticking it to fans and side-panels.

If you want to noise-deaden your case side-panel, consider applying it first to a piece of foam art-board, then applying the art-board to the metal case-panel with dabs of Pit Crew's or perhaps silicone adhesive-sealant. This increases the noise-deadening effect, but makes it easy to remove and then re-apply. Otherwise, the Spire you have to remove with a putty knife cannot be used for much of anything except to line your trash can.

Now. You can air-cool or water-cool. There may be some application for aspects of this project to water-cooling, either with ducting or for noise-reduction. If you choose air-cooling, you can simply drop in a heatpipe cooler and live with the stock fans. Or you can replace the fans. And if you replace the fans with a high-output model, you'll again be at a crossroads. If you want to address the noise and increase cooling, you might buy the supplies and use time with the tedium.

With a heatpipe cooler and ducting, you will still not reach the cooling effectiveness of a custom water-cooled rig. Look at it another way. All the improvements in air-cooled effectiveness are incremental. Lapping the IHS and the heatsink-base may get you 5 to 10C improvement; the choice of a superior TIM might be worth 5C; ducting is worth at least 5C, because I know I can build a better duct than the one shown here. Figure for the uncertainties that this earns you as much as a 17C improvement in temperatures. Maybe I'm wrong for the total, but I think that's a good ballpark.

But here, our focus has been less on the thermal improvements and more about taming a beast of a fan like the Gentle Typhoon AP-30. To some degree, I feel like there's been success all the way around.

It's all a matter of personal choice. If you want to say I'm nuts, I'll tell you I'm . . . "retired," so it doesn't matter to me!

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The Gentle Typhoons I have tried (1450 and 1150) have all had a tone that was OK but not fantastic. Its not a soothing noise but its also not a whiny noise either. They do well in absolute noise terms compared to their competition but other fans have better noise profiles, they only really win out in absolute volume count.

I have no idea about the 4250, that is well beyond what most people want to get when talking about Gentle Typhoon, we typically want fans that are designed for in a human habited area not a server room.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The Gentle Typhoons I have tried (1450 and 1150) have all had a tone that was OK but not fantastic. Its not a soothing noise but its also not a whiny noise either. They do well in absolute noise terms compared to their competition but other fans have better noise profiles, they only really win out in absolute volume count.

I have no idea about the 4250, that is well beyond what most people want to get when talking about Gentle Typhoon, we typically want fans that are designed for in a human habited area not a server room.

I've worked with fans from the 15 dBA noise-spec up to 50+. Sure _ I want low/no noise, but I also want airflow. The top-end noise spec for a fan spinning as fast as this particular GT model is not all that bad in consideration of the RPM and airflow, or as compared to a 120mm Delta Tri-Blade. Generally, some of these "high-noise" fans have a well-behaved noise profile over a reasonably wide range past their startup threshold, and below the top-end.

And then there's possibility of a focused, limited application of noise-deadening materials, the position of the fan inside the case, the isolation of the fan from touching case-metal.

I was just hoping someone had some experience with this 4250RPM model of the Gentle Typhoon. I ordered a pair of them already, and I will find out all on my own whether they're better or worse for what I have in mind for them.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
One common thing to take note of with the entire Gentle Typhoon line is they have some weird harmonics. While most fans will have a standard noise curve from bottom to top (at least most I've looked into) the GTs seem to commonly have strange RPM harmonic spikes. And 1 thing I don't like when people review fans is that they just post the dBA that a meter picks up but don't comment on or record the characteristics of the noise.

Do tell us how they perform (should be a lot of air) but also how they sound and if they have weird harmonics spikes like their lower brethren.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
One common thing to take note of with the entire Gentle Typhoon line is they have some weird harmonics. While most fans will have a standard noise curve from bottom to top (at least most I've looked into) the GTs seem to commonly have strange RPM harmonic spikes. And 1 thing I don't like when people review fans is that they just post the dBA that a meter picks up but don't comment on or record the characteristics of the noise.

Do tell us how they perform (should be a lot of air) but also how they sound and if they have weird harmonics spikes like their lower brethren.

I'll be glad to do that, sarge.

Somehow, I've embarked on a crash program of OCD improvement on my SB system, brought on by a priority to cure a very occasional instability. (And I think I cured that, too . . . but time will tell.)

I was going to post photos of my latest fan "klooge:" A single 140mm 110 CFM Akasa fan hanging in the middle of my NH-D14, and an exhaust fan Akasa "square" 140mm separated from the case by rubber rivets, a 120mm fan shroud and a 120-to-140mm fan adapter. On the cooler-fin side, the shroud from a "round" 140mm Noctua fan juts up against the fins. Since the fan is off center from the cooler fins, I'd glued foam-board crescents to the edge of the Noctua shroud to further prevent case inflow air from entering the duct directly before going through the D14 fins. Plugging those "crescent" holes earned me 2C lower load temperatures, and even the idle temperatures have dropped. But while the fan has 110CFM airflow, it has low mm H20 pressure, and the reduction from 140 to 120mm may reduce airflow.

Anyway, it's an ugly klooge, only because I couldn't find the right 120mm exhaust fan. So I ordered these Typhoons -- two, because I always order two when I order any model fan. This time, I'm going to affix the (noisy) Typhoon to another 140mm "round" shroud (which has 120mm-compatible mounting holes), and line the inside of the 140mm "duct-shroud" with Spire foam pad. I may spray the inside case surface at the exhaust port with that rubberized spray s*** they sell on late night TV -- the one with boat-bottom replaced by wire screen and sprayed with that stuff. Then I'll clean out the exhaust holes: wouldn't want the rubber to further restrict airflow, but hoping the rubberized coating on the inside of the vent will further reduce noise, along with the Spire foam rubber.

Then I'll measure the appropriate angles from the inner edge of the 120mm fan to the corners of the D14, the fan extruding as it does from the interior case panel for a total of 50 (2x25) mm. And . . .then. . . . I'll get my Xacto knife, and cut a sort of pyramid-shaped duct as one piece that simply folds along the appropriate lines. I should be able to install the duct with the fan, so I can then pull the duct toward the D14 and secure it, allowing no air into the duct except what flows through the cooler fins. IN fact, I could also line the interior of that duct with Spire, but since it's on the intake side of the fan, I might worry that deterioration of rubber would lead to pieces of it flying into the fan blades.

Anyway -- I'll report back about the fan's noise without these . . . project enhancements, and I'll report how much the enhancements attenuate the noise.

[Gotta order that spray-on rubber S*** . . . .]

These forums are the only place where an obsessed, OCD nutcase is accepted as a normal person!!

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have a couple of these fans.

They sure give my san aces a good run for its money.. and no joke as they both are very expensive fans.
And the fan blades are more durable to accidental breakage.

I have run them downvolted and they work very good at downvolted settings.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
i have a couple of these fans.

They sure give my san aces a good run for its money.. and no joke as they both are very expensive fans.
And the fan blades are more durable to accidental breakage.

I have run them downvolted and they work very good at downvolted settings.

That's good to hear, Aigo. I used some San Ace ~0.46A fans to exhaust the case I built in 2007. Only thing I noticed about them was a very slight motor-hum, but you couldn't hear it for where I'd placed them in the case, and the ducts I'd built further attenuated the noise.

I could ask you to describe the noise for the Typhoons (4,250rpm model) over some range, but I'll certainly evaluate them before installing one in my case. It just seems that Nidec Servo promoted their attention to noise-reduction even with this high-output model.

Interesting that a person is going to devote time in addition to money in various ways depending on the choice of air versus water. One might think that "air is simpler" while "water is more effective." But either way -- you're going to look at the fans very carefully if you're concerned over both throughput CFM and noise dBA.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Interesting that a person is going to devote time in addition to money in various ways depending on the choice of air versus water. One might think that "air is simpler" while "water is more effective." But either way -- you're going to look at the fans very carefully if you're concerned over both throughput CFM and noise dBA.

the fan is used on both!

so the fan is very important to any system.

A Fan is even used in phased change on the condenser!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
the fan is used on both!

so the fan is very important to any system.

A Fan is even used in phased change on the condenser!

Well . . . I've learned a lot about fans. I may not be popular, but I have a lot of fanz!! :biggrin:

What's your take on these closed-loop, all-in-one coolers like the Nepton 280L? ON another thread here, one of our frustrated members is upset about the fan noise -- that they are all running full bore. I would think, with something like a PWM splitter like the Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL you could run a string of Typhoon or other PWM fans and control them from the mobo CPU_FAN port while drawing power directly from the PSU. I can't imagine how these coolers would not make it possible to do that.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
The AIO coolers are supposed to the gap between full on air and custom loop water but in general perform the same as some of the really nice air coolers overall. Some of them are capable of beating out their air brethren but usually due to the difference in surface area/fan set up as a 240mm rad with 4 fans > mass air cooler with 2. They definitely look flashier and make a build look cleaner normally but overall most are not worth the additional cost over the nice air coolers from all the benching I've really seen. I guess people just like the bragging rights to say their system is watercooled, which while true, is kind of a half assed set-up with most AIOs.

There are a lot of PWM splitters on the market so that's definitely something the user should look into as going off the basic fan headers on a lot of boards just has it run maxed out. That being said I actually have a system in the house right now I'm not sure what to do with since it's plugged into the PWM header but it's stuck running full bore because something shorted on the board. Temperature sensor is all funky too :( Need to get around to finding my low RPM fans so they can run full bore and not care about the noise.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The AIO coolers are supposed to the gap between full on air and custom loop water but in general perform the same as some of the really nice air coolers overall. Some of them are capable of beating out their air brethren but usually due to the difference in surface area/fan set up as a 240mm rad with 4 fans > mass air cooler with 2. They definitely look flashier and make a build look cleaner normally but overall most are not worth the additional cost over the nice air coolers from all the benching I've really seen. I guess people just like the bragging rights to say their system is watercooled, which while true, is kind of a half assed set-up with most AIOs.

There are a lot of PWM splitters on the market so that's definitely something the user should look into as going off the basic fan headers on a lot of boards just has it run maxed out. That being said I actually have a system in the house right now I'm not sure what to do with since it's plugged into the PWM header but it's stuck running full bore because something shorted on the board. Temperature sensor is all funky too :( Need to get around to finding my low RPM fans so they can run full bore and not care about the noise.

Even if more likely your problem is in the motherboard fan hardware, check your cabling. I had a similar problem -- much described in other threads here over a 200mm NZXT fan and a desire to control it. I kept testing different fans on that mobo port, but I was using the same 3-pin patch cable. When I replaced it, suddenly the port worked properly for all fans.

The thing I can't know for certain unless I buy one or some user explains: How the fans are powered on the CLC coolers like Nepton or Corsair. I assume to get the cooler to work (and get your system to boot!) you need to plug at least one connector to the PWM CPU-FAN header. But you should be able to do this with the fans strung out from a PWM splitter, even if you can only monitor one of those fans or the (PWM?) Pump.

Meanwhile, I can hardly wait for that high-powered Typhoon fan to get here. Even running LinX, Prime or IBT -- the system is quiet. Nobody commented on my 77F-room-ambient temperatures for the sandy-bridge @ 4.7Ghz/1.36V: prevailing average for all four cores at 67 to 68C, and maximum (4-core average) of 70C. I think that's damn good for an air-cooled (D14) system. Is that good?!!:confused:

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Bonzai i forgot to note... be sure u got the normal 3 prong plugs for fans... some nidac fans have the dell 5 prong ones which will get you coming back in here asking WTF!!!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Bonzai i forgot to note... be sure u got the normal 3 prong plugs for fans... some nidac fans have the dell 5 prong ones which will get you coming back in here asking WTF!!!

Thanks, Aigo, but I had read about that and all the troubles people had with the pinouts to those. I hope you are wrong about these GT's. Other Nidec fans I'd seen for sale mentioned Dell, even in parens. There were certainly a bunch of web-posts dealing with this "Dell-proprietary" pinout inconsistency.

But I need the fan to be PWM-enabled. I bought the GT's from "Performance-PC," and if there was anything in the item description about Dell, I didn't see it. I'd better look at the zoomed picture of those GTs and compare with standard PWM pinouts, just to be sure. Right now, I'm just going to check the USPS tracking page -- or whoever was supposed to deliver these things. . . .

UPDATE: . . . . well, I checked the "Performance-PCs" website. The 4,250RPM Gentle Typhoon description says nothing about Dell. Instead:

"This model comes with a 4-Pin PWM connector that connects to any motherboard that has PWM 4-pin headers."

" . . any motherboard . . ." would seem to mean "ANY motherboard," I guess. Dell was one of those OEMs that tweaked their mobos to make them somewhat proprietary, and they did the same thing with RAM SPD, if I remember correctly. the best I ever got out of a Dell was the scrap drive-cage and plastic rails I used for my modded '95 ProLiant server case. At least they used "standard size" drives!

[Hmm. . . yeah -- they're "out for delivery" today . . . . in the freaking rain. . . . Hope somebody wrapped those suckers in plastic . . . ]

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hmm. I wouldn't exactly call the noise "motor whine," but at 4,250 RPM, testing with the fan outside the case and sitting on the metal surface of the case top-panel, it's going to be noisier than a 140mm Akasa Viper at top-end of 1,600RPM.

I'm getting a cable extender for this Gentle Typhoon, so I'll be testing it some more inside the case with something equivalent to rubber-rivet isolation from case metal.

Given the noise that I heard over a range of speeds, this bad-boy looks promising. I am actually hopeful that I can make the "tone" of the fan -- as Nidec-Servo describes it -- go away. If it doesn't go away, I think it will be very easily attenuated. I'll post more on this as I proceed with it.

UPDATE: Just to start, I have to say that this is a high-quality fan. The motor is "beefy." As compared to a Noctua 120x25mm fan which weighs in at 6oz, the Gentle Typhoon 4,250RPM fan weighs fully an ounce more -- with no rounding up from the scale's 7oz reading. Really solid, and as solid as the typical Panaflo 120x38mm units.

Very promising.

Last edited:

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
As for fan headers with AIO liquid coolers, most of the systems I see have 4 pin headers (and thusly PWM) for all the fans included and on the pump, which makes a lot of people wonder... which takes priority? From my experience the pumps in most AIO coolers are rather quiet at full speed since they aren't that powerful to begin with so I just stick them on any random 3 pin header and call it a day. The fans that come with it you definitely want on a PWM header, which usually requires a splitter as most boards don't have more than 1. Though I am seeing a trend with more and more boards having the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT for more PWM.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks, Aigo, but I had read about that and all the troubles people had with the pinouts to those. I hope you are wrong about these GT's. Other Nidec fans I'd seen for sale mentioned Dell, even in parens. There were certainly a bunch of web-posts dealing with this "Dell-proprietary" pinout inconsistency.

But I need the fan to be PWM-enabled. I bought the GT's from "Performance-PC," and if there was anything in the item description about Dell, I didn't see it. I'd better look at the zoomed picture of those GTs and compare with standard PWM pinouts, just to be sure. Right now, I'm just going to check the USPS tracking page -- or whoever was supposed to deliver these things. . . .

UPDATE: . . . . well, I checked the "Performance-PCs" website. The 4,250RPM Gentle Typhoon description says nothing about Dell. Instead:

"This model comes with a 4-Pin PWM connector that connects to any motherboard that has PWM 4-pin headers."

" . . any motherboard . . ." would seem to mean "ANY motherboard," I guess. Dell was one of those OEMs that tweaked their mobos to make them somewhat proprietary, and they did the same thing with RAM SPD, if I remember correctly. the best I ever got out of a Dell was the scrap drive-cage and plastic rails I used for my modded '95 ProLiant server case. At least they used "standard size" drives!

[Hmm. . . yeah -- they're "out for delivery" today . . . . in the freaking rain. . . . Hope somebody wrapped those suckers in plastic . . . ]

He's talking about the San ones. San makes fans for Dells which used (or still uses?) weird 5 pin connectors.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
He's talking about the San ones. San makes fans for Dells which used (or still uses?) weird 5 pin connectors.

The observation may or may not be relevant here: there's a lot of "re-branding" or re-badging. You may be correct about this, but I thought I looked at one initially-promising fan marketed as meant for Dell, which -- upon zooming the picture to the motor-hub label, showed "Nidec Servo."

But - no problem. As I reported so far, I made an initial test of the Gentle Typhoon, plugging it into my Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL splitter. No problem with any five-pin plug, or reassigned pins.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, in case anyone is interested, here's some more remarks about this fan.

The fan had been tested to show higher output than the manufacturer admits in its own rating. Instead of ~117 CFM, the test entity showed output of closer to 144 CFM.

The fan has some very slight motor hum at its higher RPMs, but this had been engineered by the manufacturer to be less imposing -- "less noiseful." You can hear this hum outside the computer case, but over the range of CFM low to high, it isn't perceptible from outside a closed computer case.

Most of the noise at top-end is from air-turbulence. So I have designed and constructed a duct contraption for the fan as "case exhaust" which ports (and seals) its intake from the NH-D14 cooler fins allowing no air to enter the duct unless it goes through the cooler fins.

It is generally acknowledged that the benefits of higher airflow for heatpipe coolers is a proposition of diminishing returns, and I agree. On the other hand, I'm still not sure that I've "exhausted" (hah! Pun!) all of those diminishing returns with the current fans and usage in my case. So I have the load temperatures prevailing from tests under the current arrangement with the room-ambient "control" factor, and I can compare the new fan for a comparable result.

I can post my diagram of the fan-klooge later.

If you want higher output with the best attenuation of noise possible, this is a fan worthy of exploring the trade-off between output and noise.

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
I just saw this thread Duck. Those are the AP-30 that I was trying to sell here couple years ago. Hume posted the mod on another forum and I did 4 for my last build. They were too loud for my build is why I wanted to sell them. Worked well on a rad, so well in fact they never needed to ramp up. No question, they're rippers.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1045524/gentle-typhoon-pwm-mod

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I just saw this thread Duck. Those are the AP-30 that I was trying to sell here couple years ago. Hume posted the mod on another forum and I did 4 for my last build. They were too loud for my build is why I wanted to sell them. Worked well on a rad, so well in fact they never needed to ramp up. No question, they're rippers.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1045524/gentle-typhoon-pwm-mod

Was it your impression that the noise was mostly air-turbulence/white-noise? That's what it seemed to me.

I have my rig configured now with fan curves for everything, no extra controller -- all controlled from the mobo - the PWM fans powered from the PSU and about 1.0A worth of current draw total for two fans powered from the mobo. At idle CPU temperatures under 40C, the fastest fan runs at about 900 RPM; a 200mm NZXT fan at 800 and the CM 200mm at about 350 RPM. Maybe I'm deaf, but I cannot hear a darn thing.

When I put the CPU under serious load, I hear white noise.

So I put the Gentle Typhoon inside the case as one of three controlled by the CPU_FAN PWM header. I used my ASUS software to "test" the CPU fan -- which means all three run off that header. I could hear a slight addition to the white noise from the Typhoon, but not the motor-hum I heard when running it outside the case.

It's likely going to be the compromise I want, and I may not have to run it full-bore with the CPU at 60 or 70C.

I seem to have more radical views on airflow than many of our colleagues, but I still think my rig is quiet -- unless under severe load. Even then, just my opinion, but it's not half bad. I should probably record a WAV or other audio file with mic 3-feet away, post it, and see what some say for the LinX-loaded white-noise.

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
Mounted in the closed case I couldn't hear motor noise. The way my build is I have two fans in the front pulling in through a rad and one on the side pushing out through another. Even running burn tests it rarely got hot enough to ramp up the fans but if they did it was loud.
Running at low speed was fine but the PC is in my living room so I want dead quiet.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Mounted in the closed case I couldn't hear motor noise. The way my build is I have two fans in the front pulling in through a rad and one on the side pushing out through another. Even running burn tests it rarely got hot enough to ramp up the fans but if they did it was loud.
Running at low speed was fine but the PC is in my living room so I want dead quiet.

I'm doing "stuff" more prevalent on these forums six years ago than what I find now. I still want to post my diagram or photo of the foam-board duct I built last night for this Typhoon beast.

Somewhere -- maybe from the depths of my diseased intellect -- I got the idea that it would be better to offset such a high-power fan from the case metal it otherwise faces with direct mounting to the exhaust port. So I designed duct pieces that fit either of two ways: the fan fits a 120x38mm fan shroud secured to the exhaust port, or a 120x25mm fan shroud secured the same way. This would then provide more of a chamber where air is more "pressurized" before it exits the vent, or so it isn't so obstructed by the vent. It would also help bury any sound in the case interior.

So I'm going to neatly wrap the duct parts and the fan itself in Spire acoustic foam rubber. The fan sits about midway between the exhaust port and the rear edges of the D14 cooler fins.

I almost think I could replace the Akasa 140mm "round" fan in the center of the D14 with another Typhoon. OR -- replace it but put the second Typhoon at the intake front of the cooler. But then -- the gap between the twin "towers" would need to be blocked from the sides with another duct part.

The whole challenge of this lies in the fact that the fan and duct parts are difficult to install behind the cooler without removing the latter. So the last piece -- a square box -- slides in on rails from the case-panel side and blocks off all air entry unless it goes through the cooler fins.

I'm going to replace the other assembly now. Then -- I'm going to clean up this room . . . :mad:

I dunno. Do they prescribe some sort of "mood drug" for this kind of obsession?

WoodButcher

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2001
LOL Duck, credit card shock cured me.
Well, maybe not.
My focus just got redirected to my van.
My current project is to put a V8 in a minivan.:whiste:

OK, where's the pics?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
LOL Duck, credit card shock cured me.
Well, maybe not.
My focus just got redirected to my van.
My current project is to put a V8 in a minivan.:whiste:

OK, where's the pics?

Coming soon! To this local thread near you!

I got out my digital camera after two days with an accumulating mess of detritus on my carpet, parts strewn everywhere, tools laying around. I had some three duct designs for two different fans: An Akasa Viper 140mm "square" model exhausting through a 120mm case exhaust vent; and the 120x25mm Gentle Typhoon "high speed/output" @ 4,250 RPM.

Planning to put stuff on this thread, it has turned into a review of the fan and a summary explanation of my duct-box. So I made sure to take some snaps.

Preview: We know that high-output fans fall into disfavor precisely because of their decibel rating at their rated top-end speed. And we know that "ducting" mods offer the same incremental blessings as lapping, superior TIM, delidding and cooler choices. These things had always been established over the last seven years or so. But there is another, very logical value to the duct that has been much missed but right there in front of us all along.

Any sort of duct box provides an opportunity to attenuate the noise transmitted through it -- through choice of materials and the opportunity to cover the box itself with something like Spire foam-rubber patches.

In the next few days after my more adult responsibilities elsewhere have been met, I'll post this material as an edit appended to my original post for this thread. And -- yes -- posilutely absotively -- pictures, circles and arrows on the back of each one.

Oh. I discovered something ridiculously simple. When we look at fan-noise other than air-turbulence, where does the "other" noise come from? You know the answer. What part of a fan offers absolutely no opportunity for airflow, and what part of the fan never moves? I'll give a hint: you need a compass to draw some small circles on the yellow paper backing of a Spire foam panel.

Last edited: