Generator home back feeding

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The reason you don't see line men being killed or even hurt due to generator back feeding is because it CANNOT happen.

For example:
I have a 3500 watt generator which is about 30 amps. I'll back feed and power my:
Refrigerator = 500 watts
Freezer = 500 watts
Furnace/heat pump = 1000 watts
Lights, computer/monitor, TV, misc. = 1000 watts

Lets say for example that I turned ON my main breaker during back feeding. What would happen? Within about a few milliseconds, the circuit breaker on my generator would pop and all generator produced electricity would stop. Let's go one step further and say the circuit breaker on my generator malfunctioned and did not pop. My little 3500 watt generator, (which already is powering 3000 of its watts for my home would then try to power the rest of the neighborhood. Within a few milliseconds, it would overload and stop. The load going backwards outside my home would be so large (all my neighbors homes trying to draw electricity) would pop my circuit break very quickly. So even if I forgot to turn off my main breaker, the only problem that would happen is my generator breaker would pop.

My search on the Internet found ZERO stories about any line men who were killed or even hurt due to generator back feeding. Although I did find lots of mis-information.

In order for a lineman to be hurt, you are making the assumption that all the houses around me have turned off their main circuit breaker and there are no other loads to draw from my generator.

That's pretty much what I was saying above. Though I would not dismiss the danger completely, but the odds of it being a danger are probably rather low. There would still be a slight period where the power IS present, so if a lineman is working on a 7,200v line or higher, that split second before the generator overloads and trips might be enough to send a lethal shock to the crew.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I didn't say 500w 24 hours a day. The start capacitor circuit on refrigerators, freezers, central air units, etc. draw a much higher wattage than running wattage. Your generator must have a surge ability to be able to start these devices. Didn't you know that?

That and in a power outage situation chances are good that everyone's fridges etc will want to start right away as they'll have reached the thermostat threshold temp if the outage was long enough.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
That and in a power outage situation chances are good that everyone's fridges etc will want to start right away as they'll have reached the thermostat threshold temp if the outage was long enough.
Hey if you guys are OK with creating a situation where someone could be injured because you're a cheap fuck, please don't let anyone try to talk you out of it.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
They should just permanently disconnect these idiots from the grid when they are caught. Don't want to play by the rules, then don't let them play. Making someone else responsible for your recklessness is just stupid. You can make all the excuses you want, doesn't make it right. In an outage, you have no assurance that you are still tied to your neighbors, or how many you are tied to.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hey if you guys are OK with creating a situation where someone could be injured because you're a cheap fuck, please don't let anyone try to talk you out of it.

You're putting words in my mouth. That had absolutely nothing to do with saying it's ok to backfeed. I would personally rather install a transfer switch if I had a generator. But also I just rather be sure that people who want to do it know how to do it right, than to tell them not to do it, and they do it anyway, and cause issues.

shopguy

Jan 4, 2019
Sorry for bringing back a year old thread but... everyone assumes it's a money thing. For a lot of us in rural areas that are likely to need generators it is more about BS politics than money. For example, my house I should not permitted so no electrician will install a transfer for me. It's built to code and all, but my local government is ruled by big city politicians that don't understand what safe water is and made it impossible for me to build on my 14 acres because the laws are made for city people and scenarios.
I can install a transfer switch myself and maybe will... but if I don't do things the "right" way it has nothing to do with money(I have plenty and enjoy fueling the Economy by spending it) and always about crap politics or not wanting to deal with horrible service from electricians Andy other service people who seem to treat people like crap more often than not. EXcuse typos those site doesn't work well on my iPhone 5, can't see what I'm typing.

Reactions: Raizinman

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Sorry for bringing back a year old thread but... everyone assumes it's a money thing. For a lot of us in rural areas that are likely to need generators it is more about BS politics than money. For example, my house I should not permitted so no electrician will install a transfer for me. It's built to code and all, but my local government is ruled by big city politicians that don't understand what safe water is and made it impossible for me to build on my 14 acres because the laws are made for city people and scenarios.
I can install a transfer switch myself and maybe will... but if I don't do things the "right" way it has nothing to do with money(I have plenty and enjoy fueling the Economy by spending it) and always about crap politics or not wanting to deal with horrible service from electricians Andy other service people who seem to treat people like crap more often than not. EXcuse typos those site doesn't work well on my iPhone 5, can't see what I'm typing.

How exactly can this be a political issue? Hmm iPhone 5 --- Fueling the Economy... I get it now, carry on.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

This thread is not necessarily about permitting your install. Its about doing things the right way, permit or not. I've done plenty of non-permitted work but it was to code or exceeded code's requirements.

If a transfer switch is beyond your capabilities or comfort level, I'm sure you could find a few electricians that will do the install under the table and wont sign off on it.

Last edited: