Generation Wuss?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
You realize the level of grievance that it took to ignite such 'fighting' is vastly greater than what goes on in the US, right?

Oh I see, so you should only be willing to fight if things get WAY beyond unreasonable, I see. Until then you should join in groups where you smoke weed and text on Facebook all day bitchin' a fit. Because, you know, you're struggling the hard times in life when you have your cell-phone to play on all day.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh I see, so you should only be willing to fight if things get WAY beyond unreasonable, I see. Until then you should join in groups where you smoke weed and text on Facebook all day bitchin' a fit. Because, you know, you're struggling the hard times in life when you have your cell-phone to play on all day.

No, I'm saying the level of struggle should be commensurate with the level of oppression/injustice. People questioning why people subject to greater pressures are acting out more violently have basically answered their own question.

This is just common sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I agree! This generation is the worst ever!

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Hehehehehe

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Read the posts of the young in this forum as well as what young people say where you work/live and there's no doubt there's a generation of wusses right now.

In other words, truthiness is all the proof you need. Well let me just tell you that I saw some girl scouts selling cookies and I know you're full of shit.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
The more I think about it, the more that I think that Bret Easton Ellis has a valid argument. And in fact, I think that his argument builds logically on child raising issues that that others have made.

Take Amy Chu for an example.
I've noticed that Western parents are extremely anxious about their children's self-esteem. They worry about how their children will feel if they fail at something, and they constantly try to reassure their children about how good they are notwithstanding a mediocre performance on a test or at a recital. In other words, Western parents are concerned about their children's psyches. Chinese parents aren't. They assume strength, not fragility, and as a result they behave very differently...

Western parents try to respect their children's individuality, encouraging them to pursue their true passions, supporting their choices, and providing positive reinforcement and a nurturing environment. By contrast, the Chinese believe that the best way to protect their children is by preparing them for the future, letting them see what they're capable of, and arming them with skills, work habits and inner confidence that no one can ever take away.
Does seem like this children's self-esteem uber alles may not have been the optimum way to raise this last generation.

Another observation:
Today's children have been brought up to think they all special and unique and everyone should get everything they deserve. They have been given participation awards so no one feels left out. They have removed sports, and even recess, in some schools because of the possibility of injury, no matter how remote. And then we wonder why kids are so freaking fat. ... And they cry and whine when things don't go their way, no matter how pointless and small it seems to the rest of us.
Did the stress on self esteem uber alles create Generation Wuss?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that.

But this growing sense of entitlement is difficult to deny. Couple that with their feeling that they are above criticism and its pretty easy to understand where Ellis is coming from with "Generation Wuss."

Uno

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The more I think about it, the more that I think that Bret Easton Ellis has a valid argument. And in fact, I think that his argument builds logically on child raising issues that that others have made.

Take Amy Chu for an example.
Does seem like this children's self-esteem uber alles may not have been the optimum way to raise this last generation.

Another observation:
Did the stress on self esteem uber alles create Generation Wuss?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that.

But this growing sense of entitlement is difficult to deny. Couple that with their feeling that they are above criticism and its pretty easy to understand where Ellis is coming from with "Generation Wuss."

Uno

It isn't difficult to deny at all. A bunch of anecdotal evidence and posturing by people doesn't add up to any evidence whatsoever.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
This is the exact same bollocks that has been trotted out for millenia.

If someone starts going on about the youth of today then it's a safe bet that they're a plonker.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Patton wanted a few officers put in observation posts in North Africa so they would get killed. He reasoned their deaths would improve the morale of enlisted men.

this is why i have no respect for the nco oriented culture of the us military. that and the officers are focusing on a future of political corruption

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Who and what the Ukrainians are fighting for is long topic in itself... but I don't see what it has to do with wussy Americans. At least no foreign officials were supporting and secretly arming the OWS protesters.
I agree thought that after having "equality" and entitlement crammed down people's throats for several decades, a generation of wusses is exactly what you should expect.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I generally take most of this stuff as pure hyperbole.

Having said that, my nephews were quite scared and upset when they learned Uncle Scott carries a pocket knife. I was deeply embarrassed for them.

Hopefully the idea of having knife or a gun makes you man will die out over generations.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Hopefully the idea of having knife or a gun makes you man will die out over generations.

No one thinks carrying a gun or a knife "makes you a man" except the wusses who are afraid of people carrying them.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Uno

Honestly, it's really tough to hear the grasshopper generation whining about younger generations' sense of entitlement. They might need some new mirrors. .. "Back in my day..." and so fourth.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
What, nothing of interest happened in this thread since this afternoon? Time to overthrow the government!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Mostly when I hear critiques like "they don't take criticism well" and "they're not hard workers" I automatically translate that to "they don't meekly say 'yes sir' when I try to get them to do something for me" and "they don't want to work overtime for free like I do".

I'm not so sure that's a failing of the young. Maybe they're the ones who have it figured out.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'm glad I tell my kids things like "life isn't fair; deal with it" and "stop searching for reasons why you can't do something and think of a way to get it done." I will not allow them to become weak, spoiled, entitled shits when they grow up.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
I'm glad I tell my kids things like "life isn't fair; deal with it" and "stop searching for reasons why you can't do something and think of a way to get it done." I will not allow them to become weak, spoiled, entitled shits when they grow up.

They'll just be bitter, emotionally stunted, and full of anger instead.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
It's just a change in culture. Let's compare our wussy grandparents to those that were born in 1800 why don't we.