General VR discussion thread

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I keep noticing this sort of odd behavior with my Vive Pro. If I touch the HMD, the screen goes gray for a second and eventually comes back after maybe a second or two. I’m assuming that the HMD is losing tracking when this happens as I took the HMD off and kept touching it until this happened, and I saw a tracking notice on the SteamVR equipment window.

So, I guess I’m wondering if I just need to adjust/reposition my lighthouses? I switched rooms recently to avoid using a whole bedroom just for VR, and I wonder if my more rectangular play area is not as good. (By the way, it’s kinda lame because the play area borders appear a lot while playing due to the narrow area.)

The biggest thing the PSVR 2 would need to do for me is to have far better tracking. If it isn’t at least using inside out, then it will have the same issues as the original.

Tracking is the biggest reason I haven't gone with a PSVR yet. I've used them a few times & don't like flying around haha.

I'm hoping to build a Murphy bed setup next month so I can have a usable multi-function room. I've had this design on my list for awhile, uses some cheap boat swivel seats haha:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I purchased the VR Cover for the Oculus Quest, and I’m kind of mixed on it. It's definitely nice to not have a fabric face pad like you get with the Quest (or pretty much any other HMD). However, the problem is that the Quest's default face pad was far more accommodating to glasses. Whenever I remove the Quest with the VR Cover face pad, it pretty much always pulls my glasses off, and that's with both the thin and thick pads. Since I don't have this problem with VR Cover's Vive face pad system, I'm assuming this is likely due to the Quest's more curved design. Oh, and compared to the cheaper face pad that you can buy off Amazon, the VR Cover unit does not come with a nose piece, and there is massive amounts of light bleed from the nose area.

I think VR Cover could improve the design if they'd consider a hybrid setup. In my experience, most of the sweat that you get on the face pad is usually at the top and the bottom. You do get a bit on the sides, but it's not as much. So, I was thinking... what if they had foam similar to the default Oculus face pad on the side (for glasses) and the rest of it was leather? It would complicate the design, but it would likely help a ton.

So, my overall thoughts are that I definitely strongly prefer how easy it is to clean, but it's a bit tighter than I'd prefer and there's too much light bleed around the nose. Although, from what I saw on the Amazon unit, which costs a tiny bit less than the VR Cover one, the construction is likely better on the VR Cover unit.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've been thinking about upgrading my HTC Vive to the Index (although I already have the newer Index knuckle controllers so really I'd just be buying the Index HMD) but now I'm seriously considering just selling my Vive and replacing it with an Oculus Rift S instead.

I really like how there's no base stations involved. And when Brandon, one of the lead guys behind Boneworks, said that the game runs great on a Rift S, that seriously makes me consider it.

Only problem is selling the Vive. I saw a bunch available on OfferUp/LetGo for pretty cheap so ebay might be the better way to go there. It would be nice to sell it for enough to pay for the Rift S. I think $590 for my lightly used Vive, with the Index controllers and wireless module, is quite fair, but I doubt I could get that amount. :-/

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Only problem is selling the Vive. I saw a bunch available on OfferUp/LetGo for pretty cheap so ebay might be the better way to go there. It would be nice to sell it for enough to pay for the Rift S. I think $590 for my lightly used Vive, with the Index controllers and wireless module, is quite fair, but I doubt I could get that amount. :-/

While it's more hassle, you should consider selling parts separately. One of the biggest thing with components like the lighthouses is that they contain fast moving parts, and they can fail. I've already had one lighthouse die, and it costs around $90 for a replacement off eBay. Also, I haven't checked lately, but Valve has been having trouble keeping Index hardware in stock, so you might also be better off selling the Index Controllers by themselves for someone who is looking to upgrade but can't find the controllers in stock.

I've also been considering selling my wireless adapter since I removed it recently due to it being more hassle when setting up the system for someone else. (I don't mind the cable as I'm really used to stepping over it.) The wireless adapter also doesn't work well for kids. I find that it's hard to pull the top Velcro strap back far enough because of the wireless receiver being in the way. Unfortunately, I haven't checked to see how much they're going for, so I can't provide any insight there. However, your HMD and possibly older Vive Wands could certainly help anyone out who accidentally broke theirs and. HTC charges a fortune for replacements, so the used market has usually been good.

Ultimately, this is always the hardest part of selling stuff. I'm running into now that I'm letting go of some older video game hardware. Do I try to sell some of the games separately, or do I bundle them with the console? Bundling them is certainly easy, but I was seeing some prices of around $15 for a used copy in very good condition. Given that I might only get $50-60 more for a slew of games bundled, it might be worth it to sell them apart.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I listed my original rift on offer up and it sold for $250 with the controllers and the two receivers as well as an Xbox controller.

I also put up my Samsung Odyssey for $250 and one person was interested, made me take a video of it to make sure it was working and then they never followed through. I'm not sure what the original Odyssey is going for but it's been there a while so I would have to drop the price.

eBay is tough because I've seen Odyssey go for $200 even the regular model. But of course you need to pay shipping and there is also eBay and PayPal fees which are high now compared to what I remember.

A month ago someone won my laptop auction and then didn't pay because they wanted me to change the ram configuration of the laptop as if I'm some PC repair shop. Selling used electronics is always difficult and my least favorite thing to do.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
A month ago someone won my laptop auction and then didn't pay because they wanted me to change the ram configuration of the laptop as if I'm some PC repair shop. Selling used electronics is always difficult and my least favorite thing to do.

I don't really have issues with selling on eBay, but you have to factor in losing 15% on each sale to eBay and PayPal fees. Frankly, unless you offered the option to change the RAM in your description, that person was just wrong and I hope you gave them negative feedback. But on that note, your description and photos do matter. I always try to be clear what's actually for sale in the auction... especially if I'm using any sort of prop in my photos (e.g. a TV to show the display when selling a console).

But I still think parting his kit might work out a bit better, and that's mostly due to the Index Controllers. I just took a look on eBay and Index controllers have a stupidly high mark-up right now. I'm seeing sold auctions listed as open box that went over $500+. If his controllers are in good enough condition, they could likely fetch $350+. Even the Vive Wireless kit is worth a decent amount at about $100-150.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah I suppose I'd be willing to sell the components in parts.

Hmm. Maybe what I'll do is just list the whole thing together and see what happens, for simplicity's sake, then if there's no interest I'll sell them by pieces.

I've sold multiple things through OfferUp/LetGo and have had great experiences each time, but have only sold one electronic thing, through eBay recently. That also went very well, thankfully. I still haven't figured out how to claim my money though, lmfao. I've logged in to ebay via the mobile app, and on my desktop, and I cannot find the damn page to do it. Maybe I'm just dumb lol.

Mar 11, 2004
There was a really good deal on the Odyssey+ (forget where, but it was reputable place and was like almost $200 brand new), which I really had to keep from buying but I really don't like the headphone setup (no option for removal, or for using an alternative). And then I just missed out on buying someone's 128GB Quest for $300. Keeping an eye out for any others that might pop up. I think the Quest has enough that I like (3.5mm jacks for using my own headphones, easy prescription lense option, OLED, good enough resolution, good support, solid inside out tracking, and the finger tracking looks like it might be decent enough to really use) that it'd be good enough while I wait for hardware advancements.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Great news - Virtual Desktop (latest beta) works pretty good with wireless streaming from PC to the Quest! That means:

1. You don't have to buy an Oculus, Vive, or Index to play PC games
2. You don't need the Link cable connected to the PC
3. You don't have to install any Lighthouses
4. You can stream a VR game from your PC to your Quest

Virtual Desktop is $20:

Alyx for Steam is $60:

Mar 11, 2004
Someone had bought a bunch of the Quests (this was even before the pandemic, not sure if they bought them around X-mas or what) and were trying to sell them for inflated prices. Also saw some that were selling ones that had "every game" which I'm assuming they got via some hack or stolen account/credit card or something. Lots of Rifts listed.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So facebook is requiring users to be logged into facebook if they want to have full functionality , some people are taking this news well, makes my future purchase decision easier most likely

Reactions: sxr7171

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
we all knew this was coming when they acquired oculus in 2014. the deadline for the shuttering of oculus accounts is 2023.
it will be interesting to see how this affects future Quest type self contained units and how many enthusiasts will tolerated the walled garden. sadly neither valve nor anyone else seems to be stepping up to try and take the lead in vr.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
we all knew this was coming when they acquired oculus in 2014. the deadline for the shuttering of oculus accounts is 2023.
it will be interesting to see how this affects future Quest type self contained units and how many enthusiasts will tolerated the walled garden. sadly neither valve nor anyone else seems to be stepping up to try and take the lead in vr.

Just to be clear, current Oculus devices are given until 2023. Even if you have an existing Oculus account, future Oculus devices -- such as the rumored upcoming Quest 2 that may be coming later this year -- will require a Facebook account.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Just to be clear, current Oculus devices are given until 2023. Even if you have an existing Oculus account, future Oculus devices -- such as the rumored upcoming Quest 2 that may be coming later this year -- will require a Facebook account.

Wonder how that will affect social gaming, especially if they don't let you use a username & force you to use your real name.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My current VR setup for Q3 2020: (4 years into VR at this point, started with a Samsung Gear VR)

1. Oculus Go: This is for dedicated use with my recumbent indoor exercise bike using VirZoom. The Google Earth integration is pretty awesome. It's $99 a year to use the service (games + bike in Streetview), so I just view it as my gym membership fee. I sometimes watch movies & stuff on like Netflix or whatever, but the slightly-fuzzy quality kinda bothers me sometimes & gives me a bit of eyestrain.

2. Oculus Quest: I use this for standalone Quest games & for streaming Steam games from Virtual Desktop wirelessly. This lives in my living room. I have a PC connected to my TV for Windows games.

3. HTC Vive: This was the original one I purchased at launch, still working great! It lives in my basement with a pair of Lighthouse cameras. I upgraded to the Deluxe audio strap a few years back. It's been a surprisingly solid unit! I like having two Steam-capable headsets because then my wife & I can play VR games together, which is pretty fun!

My thoughts on VR in general:

1. Really like the concept. As far as implementation goes, it's pretty fun if you're already a nerd & don't mind doing all of the setup required for stuff. Playstation's VR did a pretty decent job of making it accessible for non-technical people, but there hasn't really been a deluge of VR games become available for it. I've been wanting to pick up a Sony VR headset, but meh. I'll see what the PS5 has to offer.

2. The release of Alyx was cool, but things have been pretty stagnant lately in the world of VR. For like, years now.

3. The Vive Index looks cool, but not enough for me to upgrade from my current setup. The HP Reverb G2 looks nice. Price is decent. Would be fun to use with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 as it will be the first headset supported. Not in any rush to upgrade, super happy with my current setup as it is right now. Could sell my Vive to offset costs, but meh. Curious to see what FB will offer with their upcoming Quest models. imo the current Quest is the one to get out of all of the VR headsets; the mobility & standalone option really makes it a game-changer.

4. VR would get hugely popular if they could fix the resolution issue, especially for remote desktop, especially in the middle of COVID where so many people are working from home...having as many high-resolution virtual monitors as you want would be amazing. I'd totally set things up like Mr. Universe from Firefly lol.

5. Games seem to be limited to kind of specific categories that work well for it, i.e. shooters, archery, etc. It's definitely not as broad in scope as simply sitting down with a console at a TV or at a computer with a PC. I've talked about this before a bit in terms of watching reruns on TV, where you've already had the "experience" & so things can get a little stale. VR is similar to but slightly different from regular video games because of this. Although I don't think limited categories of gaming & games getting old after you play them is the real issue, it really just boils down to a lack of continuous really good content. There have been some absolutely amazing titles come out (Lone Echo, Alyx, etc.) but it's not like owning a current-gen console where new crap is constantly in the pipeline to look forward to...it's somewhat more scattered. I'm hoping the big Facebook push will help monetize it better & get more devs onboard, because the future is pretty bright if that happens!

6. I really like the exercise aspect of it, but again, things have kind of stalled. I'm keeping an eye on Holofit, which is kind of like Virzoom (VR for stationary bikes) but handles more types of exercise equipment., although my personal exercise routine is pretty much just daily cardio (indoor bike) & calisthenics (bodyweight exercises), so at the moment I'm not really interested in any more equipment. Then there's stuff like BeatSaber or even VR Workout on Sidequest, so I guess it kind of depends on what your goals are. I aim for 30 minutes of brisk cardio 7 days a week & having a VR setup for biking around Google Earth & watching movies meets the requirement!

7. Not a fan of Facebook's upcoming account requirements. It's turning into a pretty big issue. But as that linked article said, it's not like there's a lot of competition & Facebook is a juggernaut. And I understand why Facebook would want to do it that way ($$$). And if the tradeoff is more regular, good content being releases non-stop...ah well. We are fish in a barrel & FB has the gun lol.

8. Hardware accessory availability has been somewhat disappointing. There's not really a turnkey in-place walking system for smaller rooms like mine, nor many really cool accessories. I have my original Subpac, which is pretty cool, but one of the problems with VR is that you can't just plunk down & use it like you can with a regular video game, so there's always a bit of a mental barrier to using it, which is definitely a first-world problem. So putting on an impact speaker vest plus the headset plus going through the rigamaroll of getting it all setup software-wise can be a big off-putting, but I'm also a fan of VR, so it's worth doing to me.

9. Having multiple systems has been pretty nice. I use my Vive in my basement with my home theater projector setup & then we have a gaming computer hooked up to our living room TV for the Quest to work off of. Granted this is like four years of building out the system, so it's not like it happened overnight haha. Has been nice to use in COVID season where you're stuck in the house, and I do feel very blessed to own these wonderful machines, despite their "flaws" & occasional lack of novel content.

Also, 6 years ago & $730 million dollars later lol:

1598043338526.png

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
So facebook is requiring users to be logged into facebook if they want to have full functionality , some people are taking this news well, makes my future purchase decision easier most likely

Ordered my Valve Index and my Oculus will go on EBay. Simple.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Infinite Office with a Logitech keyboard looks pretty cool:

Curious to see how the new 2K screen on the Quest 2 looks. Not a fan of the FB sign-in requirement tho.

I've heard good things about the clarity, but I'm not sure how the well the IPD setting would work for me. I've got an IPD of 72 and the maximum value on the Quest 2 is 68. I'm also curious if we'll see someone making a FrankenQuest 2 adapter as I'm not terribly impressed by Oculus's elite strap.

Reactions: JohanYello
Feb 4, 2009
Oculus users don’t delete your Facebook. Stuff will become unrecoverable.

While I typically poop on VR, I do agree it is not a solution for me but likely a solution for others.
I don’t think being required to have some kind of an account to store your junk at is unreasonable. I do think a Facebook account is kind of unreasonable.
Facebook should address this.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
There's been several reports of the elite strap for the Q2 cracking and breaking. Even with light and gentle use. I think it's still a little too early to tell if its just a bad batch or more widespread.

I picked up a used but barely used Q1 about 2 weeks ago for $250. I got lucky but its crazy how much people were still asking for them. My only experience with vr before was the gear vr so this was a big step up. Loving it so far. Can't wait to find some time to really get into HL:A.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Picked up a Quest 2 for my son for Xmas. We'll see how it goes in terms of usage from him and the family. I haven't used any VR setup yet. It's an actual Xmas day present though so it won't get used for awhile.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm waiting on the Reverb G2 preorders to start shipping. It will be my first VR headset. I'm mainly interested in sim-type games (racing/space/etc.) that are seated, but want to play HL:A and a few of the other games specifically designed for VR. I was on the fence between this and the Index but would rather have the extra resolution and inside-out tracking is more convenient to setup in my space. I'll also need a custom glasses prescription for it from VRoptician.

Reactions: Kaido