General VR discussion thread

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Given some of my experiences with the Oculus Quest, I'm curious if we'll see more manufacturers head down this route. The biggest thing is that it's just so much easier to convince the average person to invest in the device. I was at a family event not too long ago, and I could tell there was a bit of hesitation when they asked me how much it cost... but also a bit of relief when they realized that was an "all-in price". They didn't have to worry about a computer or a game console, and they could even do what I was just doing... take it to a friend's house and show it off. The only negative thing for me is that since I have multiple VR headsets, I don't have as many games for the Quest. People also seemed to enjoy the Space Pirate Trainer demo, but I only have the full game on Steam.

The only worry that I have about the Quest is still the hardware. Since the Quest released on an already out-of-date platform, how long will it be until we get an upgraded solution? What would that mean for existing Quest owners? I've heard enough musings about some titles (e.g. Moss) not working that well on the Quest, and that could suggest that some of the more intensive games may require upgraded hardware to play on an all-in-one solution.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm looking to get into VR for the first time. I'm especially interested in sims and sim-like games (Overload, Elite, Project Cars 2) and non-gaming use (Google Earth), but want to try out some of the VR-specific games too. I was looking at the Index and Pimax 5+, and maybe also Odyssey+ as a cheaper option. I like the Pimax's FOV but it seems to be a less polished product than the Index, and I would prioritize longer term comfort and usability more than just top specs. The Index felt the most comfortable to me when I tried it on. I would have thought OLED has better colors/blacks and find it way better for regular gaming, but a lot of headsets seem to be moving to LCD for the higher pixel coverage. Is that worth the tradeoff in colors and black levels? I also have glasses with high myopia and will need custom lenses (vroptician seems good from what I'm reading), so I want one headset that does everything pretty well.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hmmm. I checked out VROptician. I am nearsighted; do you guys think I'd benefit from these lenses? I wouldn't think so since I can see very well right up close and anything beyond a couple feet away or so it drops off, but I wasn't sure, especially since the page said, where you type in your prescription:
Your far distance prescription (and not your reading or PC prescription)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm looking to get into VR for the first time. I'm especially interested in sims and sim-like games (Overload, Elite, Project Cars 2) and non-gaming use (Google Earth), but want to try out some of the VR-specific games too. I was looking at the Index and Pimax 5+, and maybe also Odyssey+ as a cheaper option. I like the Pimax's FOV but it seems to be a less polished product than the Index, and I would prioritize longer term comfort and usability more than just top specs. The Index felt the most comfortable to me when I tried it on. I would have thought OLED has better colors/blacks and find it way better for regular gaming, but a lot of headsets seem to be moving to LCD for the higher pixel coverage. Is that worth the tradeoff in colors and black levels? I also have glasses with high myopia and will need custom lenses (vroptician seems good from what I'm reading), so I want one headset that does everything pretty well.

OLED will have better blacks, but the advantage is that the Index is a higher refresh rate (120Hz and 144Hz) and is full RGB instead of Pentile. So, it's arguable that the Index has better colors not worse. I have a Vive Pro, and I'll admit that I've been tempted to switch to the Index after all the good remarks that I've heard about its refresh rate.

You could always try wearing your glasses with the HMD. In my opinion, it's never as comfortable as lenses, contacts, or nothing, but it's also "free". :p

Hmmm. I checked out VROptician. I am nearsighted; do you guys think I'd benefit from these lenses? I wouldn't think so since I can see very well right up close and anything beyond a couple feet away or so it drops off, but I wasn't sure, especially since the page said, where you type in your prescription:

I'm near-sighted as well, and it does make a difference. I use prescription lens covers on my Vive Pro, and I do like it. I've also just worn glasses with HMDs in the past, and that's easier. Although, just like any sort of face-device, you have to be wary of any side pressure and how well your glasses fit. The easiest to fit with glasses was probably the PlayStation VR HMD because its side flaps are made out of a mildly thick rubber.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I used the prescription lenses that snap on to the original odyssey and I found them very useful. I too am nearsighted and have a bit of astigmatism in my right eye.

I asked my optometrist to print me out the contact lense prescription numbers and I used that to order the snap on lenses for the odyssey.

I noticed that using these the lenses do not fog up anymore. I will have to order another pair for the HP reverb.

The reverb does fog up but not for long because it heats up quicker than the Odyssey did.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't even know what you're talking about USB 3.1 ASMeida ports, and maybe I'd be disappointed. But I've wanted to try some casual but good graphics VR for years, waiting year after year for the 'right' system and value. I have a 34" 1440p, which I agree should come first. Maybe Sumsung Odyssey is a backup plan on black friday.

I still haven't ruled out the Sony PS4 VR - it seems less expensive, easier to use, and I'm not sure I've used the PS4 in the last year for anything else.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
OLED will have better blacks, but the advantage is that the Index is a higher refresh rate (120Hz and 144Hz) and is full RGB instead of Pentile. So, it's arguable that the Index has better colors not worse. I have a Vive Pro, and I'll admit that I've been tempted to switch to the Index after all the good remarks that I've heard about its refresh rate.

You could always try wearing your glasses with the HMD. In my opinion, it's never as comfortable as lenses, contacts, or nothing, but it's also "free". :p

I tried on a few headsets with my glasses but it's too cramped and uncomfortable, not something I can use for more than 10 minutes. It seems the Index might be the best overall package right now. The Pimax ones seem to be better for sims but at the cost of dodgy software/support, and the higher resolution would be harder to drive at 90fps.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Huh. Well maybe I will pick up a pair of those things then. I'll probably wait cause I'm thinking about upgrading to an Index and I don't necessarily have a problem using my Vive right now anyway.

I hope I can sell my Vive... I looked on LetGo/OfferUp and there's a ton of Vives for sale, many for months. That don't look good. :-/

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
ArsTechnica is reporting that Oculus Link is currently in beta. As a quick summary, Oculus Link is the ability to connect the Oculus Quest (the standalone VR headset) to the PC via a USB 3 cable and stream video to the Quest from the PC. It seems a little counterintuitive, but it's more or less meant to be a bonus feature allowing for more versatility.

Although, as noted in the article, the feature does not currently work on AMD GPUS, and you'll have to make sure you have a USB 3.0+ cable. (A lot of the USB Type-C power cables you find with devices and such are based on USB 2.0.)

Oculus is currently recommending a cable from Anker, which seems to be selling quite a bit (I saw the delivery date push back on Amazon). I ordered one of those in addition to a USB 3.1 Gen-1 cable from Amazon Basics. So, we'll see how this works. I don't currently know if it works with SteamVR, but we'll see. I thought about picking up that Pistol Whip game, which I believe is cross-buy... so that would give me a chance to try out the difference.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just days to see if Valve's VR goes on sale for black friday.
The Index seems to have been selling well though. I wonder if they'll lean more toward bundling games instead of offering a discount? Perhaps a lower discount and games?

I took a look at availability, and unfortunately for me, the option that I would need, HMD-only, is the only one that's sold out. The rest have pretty decent availability of 4-8 business days.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I should probably find out what that means if I'm thinking of getting one.

There are currently five different SKUs available, which are mostly designed for specific needs. The five SKUs are...
  1. Full Kit (HMD, Index Controllers, 2 Base Stations). This is meant for someone that is completely new to the SteamVR infrastructure (i.e. doesn't own a Vive or Vive Pro).
  2. Index Upgrade (HMD, Index Controllers). This is meant for someone who is upgrading from a Vive or Vive Pro and wants the controllers. You must already have base stations (1.0 or 2.0) for this to work.
  3. HMD-Only (HMD). This is meant for someone that just wants to replace their Vive or Vive Pro HMD.
  4. Controllers (Index Controllers). This is for someone that already owns a Vive or Vive Pro and just wants to upgrade the controllers.
  5. Base Station (1 Base Station). This is the easiest way to get the upgraded 2.0 base stations, which support a larger area.
The reason why I'd want #3 is that I already purchased the controllers (#4) because I didn't know how the HMD performed compared to the Vive Pro.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
There are currently five different SKUs available, which are mostly designed for specific needs. The five SKUs are...
  1. Full Kit (HMD, Index Controllers, 2 Base Stations). This is meant for someone that is completely new to the SteamVR infrastructure (i.e. doesn't own a Vive or Vive Pro).
  2. Index Upgrade (HMD, Index Controllers). This is meant for someone who is upgrading from a Vive or Vive Pro and wants the controllers. You must already have base stations (1.0 or 2.0) for this to work.
  3. HMD-Only (HMD). This is meant for someone that just wants to replace their Vive or Vive Pro HMD.
  4. Controllers (Index Controllers). This is for someone that already owns a Vive or Vive Pro and just wants to upgrade the controllers.
  5. Base Station (1 Base Station). This is the easiest way to get the upgraded 2.0 base stations, which support a larger area.
The reason why I'd want #3 is that I already purchased the controllers (#4) because I didn't know how the HMD performed compared to the Vive Pro.
Yeah I'm considering going #3 to get the HMD unit, if I can sell my Vive HMD unit (not sure the feasibility of just selling that). I already have the Index controllers, and ain't interested in the 2.0 base stations since I already don't max out the room size with the 1.0 stations (I'm in an apartment).

Heard this yesterday: Half Life 3 to be VR

Now there's nothing official stating "This is Half Life 3!" but it seems like it could be considered that. Who knows though. I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I'll eat up anything Half Life, but on the other while I enjoy VR, I'd much rather have a new HL game as a regular PC game. We'll have to see though.

N/m I see there's another thread for the topic!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This looks like it will be a nice game. I just wonder if it's a stand up type of game or if you will be able to play it sitting.

I have a HP reverb but using it in room scale is tougher since the cable is so thick and not as long.

Feb 4, 2009
This looks like it will be a nice game. I just wonder if it's a stand up type of game or if you will be able to play it sitting.

I have a HP reverb but using it in room scale is tougher since the cable is so thick and not as long.

Steam specs appeared to be stand up or
Sit down.
I assume that’s what the picture of the chair was.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Steam specs appeared to be stand up or
Sit down.
I assume that’s what the picture of the chair was.
Yea that's usually what the chair means. Games like this where you have to move by holding the thumbsticks and then letting go can be confusing to play standing up. I hope you can just walk by pushing forward. Still disappointed that they didn't do half life 3.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Think HL Alyx will be on rails movement, free roam or station to station? From the trailer it appears you will just have play areas, and grabbing the pistol off the car hood with the gloves may confirm.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm not reading through 86 pages of thread but has discussion on VR "Cyber Cafes" been raised yet? I remember Cyber Cafes from the late 90's being like a gateway drug into putting together my own gaming rig, and they may be perfectly suited for this transition "chicken and the egg" phase where very few are willing to put in the investment for a tech that they are unsure or unfamiliar with, and as a result nothing that really grabs the public's interest goes out there. once people get some familarity with the tech and it's less of an unknown, adoption will go up and prices will go down.

In fact, I would go so far as suggesting companies like valve can convert one of their HQ conference rooms into a sort of tourist/enthusiast destination with multiple VR stations presenting different VR use cases *under ideal cirumstances* as a way to raise awareness and gin up interest in the tech. If I happened to be in the area, I would absolutely make that a stop so I could see what the hubub was about in a controlled setting (I don't want to be one of those "VR guy in the mall" memes).

Maybe this already exists and I just wasted a bunch of breath. Thoughts?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Maybe this already exists and I just wasted a bunch of breath. Thoughts?

There are some VR arcades out in the wild. I don't think they're solely dedicated to VR, but rather, they block off an area for 1+ people to play VR together. (I think it's usually up to four?) I've heard a lot of good things about the experience, but I don't think there are too many of them right now. I know that today's "Mega-cades" (not really sure what to call them) like Dave & Buster's has VR experiences, but given that they seat you in a moving platform, they're not terribly representative of what home VR is like. I've also seen instances of Beat Saber arcade games where you do put a helmet on and just play the game.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
There are some VR arcades out in the wild. I don't think they're solely dedicated to VR, but rather, they block off an area for 1+ people to play VR together. (I think it's usually up to four?) I've heard a lot of good things about the experience, but I don't think there are too many of them right now. I know that today's "Mega-cades" (not really sure what to call them) like Dave & Buster's has VR experiences, but given that they seat you in a moving platform, they're not terribly representative of what home VR is like. I've also seen instances of Beat Saber arcade games where you do put a helmet on and just play the game.

- I think the last part is what companies like Valve need to focus on. Give me a place to experience VR with a realistic setup. "How would I play VR if I lived in a studio apartment" should be their target.

Reactions: clamum

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
- I think the last part is what companies like Valve need to focus on. Give me a place to experience VR with a realistic setup. "How would I play VR if I lived in a studio apartment" should be their target.

If I recall, Half-Life Alyx is also a seated experience. I think VR developers know that some people just don’t have room, and unless the game actually requires movement as part of its core, make it seated-capable.

Although, if I recall, during the setup screens for SteamVR, it shows the little stick figure character moving a coffee table out of the way. So, they may kind of suspect that some people will make temporary adjustments to play too.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'm not reading through 86 pages of thread but has discussion on VR "Cyber Cafes" been raised yet? I remember Cyber Cafes from the late 90's being like a gateway drug into putting together my own gaming rig, and they may be perfectly suited for this transition "chicken and the egg" phase where very few are willing to put in the investment for a tech that they are unsure or unfamiliar with, and as a result nothing that really grabs the public's interest goes out there. once people get some familarity with the tech and it's less of an unknown, adoption will go up and prices will go down.

In fact, I would go so far as suggesting companies like valve can convert one of their HQ conference rooms into a sort of tourist/enthusiast destination with multiple VR stations presenting different VR use cases *under ideal cirumstances* as a way to raise awareness and gin up interest in the tech. If I happened to be in the area, I would absolutely make that a stop so I could see what the hubub was about in a controlled setting (I don't want to be one of those "VR guy in the mall" memes).

I actually see quite a few such places in shopping malls these days (around NJ/NYC). I haven't tried them out since I figured I wanted to get my own setup anyway. They are set up with gaming PCs and also have seats with force feedback, so it might be a better experience than what you can do at home.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I actually see quite a few such places in shopping malls these days (around NJ/NYC). I haven't tried them out since I figured I wanted to get my own setup anyway. They are set up with gaming PCs and also have seats with force feedback, so it might be a better experience than what you can do at home.

It'd be a fun little business, but seems risky, between the public's tastes/the market for paying for this, how much a fad it is that could easily go away, mall rents and declining visitors... remember arcades? Even the word seems obsolete. Even those restaurant/bar arcade games seem obsolete? (We won't even talk about pinballs, a word getting a spell check error in this post)