General VR discussion thread

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Nordictrack is making their own VR bike:

https://www.vrfitnessinsider.com/nordictracks-vr-bike-opens-up-new-avenues-for-fitness-2/

* $2,000 for everything (math breakdown looks like $1000 for the bike, $600 for the VR headset, plus $400 for the annual membership)
* Includes the exercise bike (10% inclines/declines to simulate changing elevation in the games, 24 resistance levels, 16 pedal positions, pedals position-seek to sync with the gameplay you see in the headset, and built-in fan for VR breeze/wind simulation)
* Includes an HTC Vive Focus VR headset ("$599 value")
* Includes a 1-year iFit membership ("valued at $396", so sounds like $33/mo normally)
* Due out this summer with 3 specially-developed games: Aeronauts, Bike Messenger, and The Last Rider

I like my Virzoom setup a lot, but other than the Streetview app, there's been no new games for like, years now. They also killed off support for the original bike for everything but the Oculus Go headset (the original bike was a modified fold-up unit with pretty low resistance, it was more of a portable spin cycle instead of a real exercise bike with heavy resistance) & are focusing on the VZfit product, which fits on any stationary pedal bike. I'm currently using that unit on my recumbent with good results!

It looks like quite a bit of effort went into the Aeronauts game that Nordictrack demoed:

It's an expensive machine, for sure, but they're probably seeing how successful Peloton has been & are interesting in bringing the big guns to the VR exercise market. To be honest, I'd be interested in saving up for one, if the games prove good enough...exercise is a chore for me, but I know I need to do it, so anything I can do to make it more fun is A+ in my book, haha! $2k over the long-term is a relatively small investment for your health, if you end up actually using it on a regular basis.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think there's a bit of disappointment among people with some the accessory pricing. The Knuckles controllers are $280 for a pair, and the base stations are $150 each, which is actually more than the version 1 model. (Valve was saying they would be cheaper since they only use a single rotating mechanism instead of two.)

Since I already have a Vive Pro, I'll probably just buy the controllers and that's about it as I don't think I'll really get anything worthwhile from the HMD. Ars's write-up did have good things to say about it, but it didn't seem like anything better than the Pro. Although, of course, it is $300 cheaper than the Pro if we just look at the HMD price. I'm kind of disappointed that they went with what looks like a cloth padding for the HMD. If you've ever played a movement heavy game, you know that the padding gets covered in sweat, and anything porous will absorb that sweat. The foam on the Vive (Pro) gets nasty pretty quickly. I mean... you can literally squeeze out sweat out of it as it's practically a sponge. I switched to using leather padding on mine. It's not as breathable, but it takes far less effort to clean.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I think there's a bit of disappointment among people with some the accessory pricing. The Knuckles controllers are $280 for a pair, and the base stations are $150 each, which is actually more than the version 1 model. (Valve was saying they would be cheaper since they only use a single rotating mechanism instead of two.)

Since I already have a Vive Pro, I'll probably just buy the controllers and that's about it as I don't think I'll really get anything worthwhile from the HMD. Ars's write-up did have good things to say about it, but it didn't seem like anything better than the Pro. Although, of course, it is $300 cheaper than the Pro if we just look at the HMD price. I'm kind of disappointed that they went with what looks like a cloth padding for the HMD. If you've ever played a movement heavy game, you know that the padding gets covered in sweat, and anything porous will absorb that sweat. The foam on the Vive (Pro) gets nasty pretty quickly. I mean... you can literally squeeze out sweat out of it as it's practically a sponge. I switched to using leather padding on mine. It's not as breathable, but it takes far less effort to clean.

Do the Valve controllers work with the HTC base stations?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Index looks cool, but its still a gen1 set unless there are features not yet announced. The knuckles though... those are a gen 2 product. I sorta wish I had a vive so I could use them alone. Not worth $1k to me to replace my rift yet. I'd probably have to upgrade my video card too to really make use of it. I'm holding out of foveated rendering or wireless at least before I upgrade.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, I'm a bit on the fence on whether I want to just sell my Vive Pro and pick up an Index HMD. Given peripherals that I have such as wireless and prescription attachments, it probably isn't really worth it right now. Although, my wireless isn't really working right now anyway. :p The one thing that would worry me is that the Index HMD only supports up to an IPD of 70 and my IPD is 72. Whether that would be a big enough of a deal to be a problem isn't entirely clear, but I guess I could try my Vive at 70 and see what happens. Although, I've also heard people say the sweet spot is better on the Index, which is one thing I don't care for on the Vive Pro.

Although, I'm fairly set on getting the controllers. I've never been a huge fan of the wands. Well, they're okay for basic things. For example, going from playing Moss on the PS4 to the Vive provided much nicer/clearer graphics, but controlling the ol' mouse with the touchpad is not fun. Also, with Beat Saber, I find that the wands slide a bit in my hand, and I have to adjust them ever so often. I also end up hitting the Steam button at times, which pauses the game.

Do the Valve controllers work with the HTC base stations?

Yes. All Index products work with the original base stations. The Vive Pro's base stations are the ones that come with the Index (Base Station 2.0).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Hm, I'm a bit on the fence on whether I want to just sell my Vive Pro and pick up an Index HMD. Given peripherals that I have such as wireless and prescription attachments, it probably isn't really worth it right now. Although, my wireless isn't really working right now anyway. :p The one thing that would worry me is that the Index HMD only supports up to an IPD of 70 and my IPD is 72. Whether that would be a big enough of a deal to be a problem isn't entirely clear, but I guess I could try my Vive at 70 and see what happens. Although, I've also heard people say the sweet spot is better on the Index, which is one thing I don't care for on the Vive Pro.

Although, I'm fairly set on getting the controllers. I've never been a huge fan of the wands. Well, they're okay for basic things. For example, going from playing Moss on the PS4 to the Vive provided much nicer/clearer graphics, but controlling the ol' mouse with the touchpad is not fun. Also, with Beat Saber, I find that the wands slide a bit in my hand, and I have to adjust them ever so often. I also end up hitting the Steam button at times, which pauses the game.

Yes. All Index products work with the original base stations. The Vive Pro's base stations are the ones that come with the Index (Base Station 2.0).

What's going on with your wireless setup?

I still need to buy prescription lenses for my VR setup. What i'll probably do is eventually save up for the Index for me & then let my family use the Vive, that way we can do multiplayer games. Although then I'll have to save up for another fancy-pants GPU computer lol.

I really don't understand why Valve/Oculus/Vive didn't buy/integrate Leap Motion. The finger tracking is absolutely spectacular, and I'd imagine it'd be a piece of cake to integrate dummy controllers with basic tracking capabilities. They could have easily made some wrist straps with the camera poking up a couple inches & tracking dots on the band, for example, to do full-motion arm & finger tracking, and then created a huge aftermarket-accessory hardware line for tennis rackets, various weapons, and so on.

My 2019 VR plan currently is:

1. Oculus Go on my recumbent bike with my VZfit setup specifically for exercising
2. OG Vive for gaming
3. 128-gig Oculus Quest this month, especially for the mobile aspect (i.e. being able to take it places easily)

I'm hoping the Beatsaber experience on the Quest is as good as the Vive! If Valve does a wireless Index next year, I'll probably get that, plus some prescription lenses.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I ended up "being good" and just buying the controllers. I figure since the differences aren't too crazy over the Vive Pro that I can probably just wait for any deals around the end of the year.

What's going on with your wireless setup?

I'm not 100% sure. I haven't tinkered with it much to really find out, but it all started after I did a PC swap. One of my HTPCs was an i3-8100 and my VR PC was an i7-6700k. The wireless adapter taxes the CPU for its processing, so I heard that more cores can really help. So, since I upgraded my main PC to an i9-9900k, I had an i7-8700k lying around. I took the motherboard out of the HTPC, put the i7-8700k in it, put it in the VR PC's case, and swapped the i7-6700k + motherboard into the HTPC's case.

All of that sounds great, but I ended up with this weird problem that kept getting worse and worse. At first, I was playing Moss and the game visuals would disappear just leaving the VR wireframe room. This usually only happened for a second and would reoccur every few minutes. After a while, I started having a problem where the whole system would barely work at all. My entire screen would just turn turquoise and sometimes go back to normal. I ended up switching back to the wire, and everything worked fine.

Although, then I noticed a weird hitch while playing Beat Saber, which isn't a terribly graphically intensive game for an i7-8700k + 1080 Ti to be having an issue with. So, I was going to tweak that PC a bit... maybe move around the wireless card to a different slot. At worst, I might just reinstall Windows. I can't recall, but I think I cheated and just swapped the CPU in. I use M.2 for my system drives and the drives were not swapped, which meant all drivers were already installed from the original HTPC setup.

Oh, and awkwardly, I'm having issues with the HTPC too! Probably should've just left it all alone. :p

I really don't understand why Valve/Oculus/Vive didn't buy/integrate Leap Motion.

I think it's just too darned limited. The leap motion can only register your fingers when they're in sight of the camera, which isn't terribly wide. It was originally designed to sit in front of your monitor and give you "Iron Man-like controls" with your monitor. This means you'd always have to look at something to be able to grab it or else your hands wouldn't be tracked.

As for putting it in a controller... I'm not sure if it's designed for use that close? Isn't the whole point of it to do skeletal modeling?

3. 128-gig Oculus Quest this month, especially for the mobile aspect (i.e. being able to take it places easily)

I'm still a bit tempted by the Quest. It is kind of nice being able to take it places with minimal setup effort. Although, it would be nice if you were able to use it outside, as it's pretty easy to find plenty of space outside! As for Beat Saber, I heard it's quite good on the Quest, but the graphics are toned down a bit. The only negative for me is that I'd have to repurchase games for the Quest and I can't be sure if custom songs will be playable on the Quest.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I was originally thinking about going with the Oculus Quest and Index Controllers, and I'm still strongly considering that. The only thing that I'm currently debating is whether to go with the 64GB or 128GB model. The negative is that there is no expandable storage and we're dealing with Apple-like pricing here of $100 for the storage increase. I think the part that makes me wary to toss in another 25% is that this system (theoretically) has no upgrade capability. You're stuck with that Snapdragon 835, 64GB/128GB of storage, and panels.

Also, Road to VR has an article about Oculus Quest game sizes, and a fair number of games are below 1GB. Removing all the video and streaming apps, there are 20 games listed. The average size is 1047MB. The combined size of all games is about 20GB. 11 Games are below 1GB, and 18 are below 2GB. Here's the list from smallest to largest in MB:

Code:
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes....... 124
Bait!.................................. 222
Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs........... 230
Beat Saber............................. 326
Thumper................................ 381
Virtual Virtual Reality................ 515
I Expect You To Die.................... 728
Rush................................... 767
Dead and Buried II..................... 773
Creed: Rise to Glory................... 954
Journey of the Gods.................... 970
Sports Scramble........................ 1126.4
Ultrawings............................. 1126.4
Racket Fury: Table Tennis.............. 1228.8
Apex Construct......................... 1331.2
Space Pirate Trainer................... 1433.6
Superhot VR............................ 1843.2
Ballista!.............................. 1945.6
Face Your Fears 2...................... 2252.8
Dance Central VR....................... 2662.4

Honestly, I can't see a reason to get 128GB given that even if the 64GB has about 59.6GB after taking into account the conversion to bytes and loss of space due to the OS and required software, which we'll guesstimate at about 5GB, you still have 54.6GB left over. If you remove the 20GB of space for the games above, that's still 34.6GB left over.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I picked up my Oculus Quest (along with the travel case), and it's certainly an interesting device. Although, the first thing that I noticed about it wasn't very good... it had a rather noxious chemical smell straight out of the box, which is less than stellar when the device is shoved straight up against your face. :p It's not a huge deal as it'll go away, and when playing, it seemed to already dissipate quite a bit.

Outside of that, my biggest complaint is probably the headstrap. This device really needs the equivalent of the Vive's Deluxe Audio Strap. The device mostly uses flexible bands and a bit of a cradle that has no padding to keep the HMD on your face. The problem is that all the weight (SoC + LCD + battery) is in the HMD, so the strap needs to provide extra support that it really doesn't do. Because of this, the entire setup puts most of the weight onto your forehead. As someone who pretty much has to wear the straps out to their max distance, I wouldn't call it unusable, but it's not very comfortable. I don't really see someone wanting to use this for long Beat Saber sessions. The strap also has these weird, built-in headphone/speaker things that just project sound toward your ears from the HMD. It's serviceable, but it's not going to be good in a loud environment. Fortunately, the unit has 3.5mm jacks on both sides (either will work with headphones).

Speaking of Beat Saber, I tried it out on the device, and it works fairly well. You can see where they toned down the graphics a bit, but it's nothing substantial. The biggest example was probably the giant, red walls were far more opaque than shimmering with energy like they are on the PC version. The only negative is that they fully released Beat Saber on the same day as the Quest for $30 compared to the game's old $20 price tag. This was announced ahead of time, but there was no way to buy the game prior to the release date (Beat Saber, Moss, and and Superhot do not support cross-buy). It just feels like a bit of a bummer to pay 50% more for a cutdown version. Fortunately, the DLC is cross-buy compatible, but unfortunately, I own the DLC on Steam not Oculus. :p

Oh, and a quick warning when using the device. If you're setting it up and you're the type to get queasy, be very careful during the setup phase. There's a point where it turns the cameras on and pipes the input to the entire VR display. I've never felt nauseous during VR, but given that the visual input felt delayed while walking around (I unpacked the device in a different room than where I'd use it), I'm sure it would make some people throw up.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I picked up my Oculus Quest (along with the travel case), and it's certainly an interesting device. Although, the first thing that I noticed about it wasn't very good... it had a rather noxious chemical smell straight out of the box, which is less than stellar when the device is shoved straight up against your face. :p It's not a huge deal as it'll go away, and when playing, it seemed to already dissipate quite a bit.

Outside of that, my biggest complaint is probably the headstrap. This device really needs the equivalent of the Vive's Deluxe Audio Strap. The device mostly uses flexible bands and a bit of a cradle that has no padding to keep the HMD on your face. The problem is that all the weight (SoC + LCD + battery) is in the HMD, so the strap needs to provide extra support that it really doesn't do. Because of this, the entire setup puts most of the weight onto your forehead. As someone who pretty much has to wear the straps out to their max distance, I wouldn't call it unusable, but it's not very comfortable. I don't really see someone wanting to use this for long Beat Saber sessions. The strap also has these weird, built-in headphone/speaker things that just project sound toward your ears from the HMD. It's serviceable, but it's not going to be good in a loud environment. Fortunately, the unit has 3.5mm jacks on both sides (either will work with headphones).

Speaking of Beat Saber, I tried it out on the device, and it works fairly well. You can see where they toned down the graphics a bit, but it's nothing substantial. The biggest example was probably the giant, red walls were far more opaque than shimmering with energy like they are on the PC version. The only negative is that they fully released Beat Saber on the same day as the Quest for $30 compared to the game's old $20 price tag. This was announced ahead of time, but there was no way to buy the game prior to the release date (Beat Saber, Moss, and and Superhot do not support cross-buy). It just feels like a bit of a bummer to pay 50% more for a cutdown version. Fortunately, the DLC is cross-buy compatible, but unfortunately, I own the DLC on Steam not Oculus. :p

Oh, and a quick warning when using the device. If you're setting it up and you're the type to get queasy, be very careful during the setup phase. There's a point where it turns the cameras on and pipes the input to the entire VR display. I've never felt nauseous during VR, but given that the visual input felt delayed while walking around (I unpacked the device in a different room than where I'd use it), I'm sure it would make some people throw up.

Yeah, I had the 128-gig in my basket, but decided to hold off for reviews for now. Definitely interested in your review in a few weeks, once you've gotten some solid time with it! I'm in the process of building a couple of arcade cabinets right now, so I'm in no rush!

I really love my Deluxe Audio Strap, absolutely worth the money, both for comfort & for quick adjustments for different head sizes. Hopefully someone will come out with a similar accessory for the Quest soon!

How's the camera-less tracking system so far? I'm really curious about the actual performance IRL. I'd really love a mobile 6DOF VR headset like the Quest because I'm on the road a lot & my Go just doesn't cut it, haha.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, I had the 128-gig in my basket, but decided to hold off for reviews for now. Definitely interested in your review in a few weeks, once you've gotten some solid time with it! I'm in the process of building a couple of arcade cabinets right now, so I'm in no rush!

I really love my Deluxe Audio Strap, absolutely worth the money, both for comfort & for quick adjustments for different head sizes. Hopefully someone will come out with a similar accessory for the Quest soon!

How's the camera-less tracking system so far? I'm really curious about the actual performance IRL. I'd really love a mobile 6DOF VR headset like the Quest because I'm on the road a lot & my Go just doesn't cut it, haha.

Well, I still think going with the 64GB is likely a better idea. You can get the 64GB model and a few games for the price of the 128GB model, and I really don't see you running out of space. For example, Beat Saber was listed as being about 330MB overall, which is downright puny. Also, I think it almost always helps you feel a bit better about something potentially frivolous if it's a bit cheaper. In regard to the strap, I've seen a recommendation to use a horizontal head strap attachment from Studioform to help better distribute the weight. VR Cover does have an Oculus Go strap replacement, but I'm not sure if it's an exact 1:1 fit with the Quest or if there'll be a separate version. On that note, VR Cover does already have face foam replacements.

I didn't really see any issues with the tracking so far, but you'll want to keep the controllers in front of you for it to work correctly. I did notice one time when messing with one of the tutorial "games" that tracking will mess up if you get too close to the HMD. To be fair, in my case, I was pretty much right up against the HMD.

Since you're looking to travel, I could see this being a good option for you. The one nice thing is that it doesn't seem to care so much about perfectly rectangular boundaries like you'd see in SteamVR. You can pretty much create whatever blob represents your free space. This can be helpful if you're in a hotel room and don't necessarily have the most perfect play area.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm passing on all the new stuff until I see something extravagant. Not worth it for gen ~1.5 if even that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm passing on all the new stuff until I see something extravagant. Not worth it for gen ~1.5 if even that.

I was a bit tempted by Valve's Index HMD, but I ended up just going with the controllers. One big thing with the Index is that its max IPD is something like 68, and my IPD is 72. Although, I heard a lot of good comments about the refresh rate being a bigger deal than it might seem on paper. On the flip side, I think some might prefer OLED in addition to high refresh rate, and right now it seems to really be one or the other. (They'd probably also want true, 3-sub-pixel OLED too... not Pentile.)

I'd say that if I had an original Vive still, I'd probably at least give the Index a chance and hope that the IPD wasn't a big deal. Given that I'm using the Vive Pro, it didn't seem worth it. I went with the Quest because it actually provides a nice benefit to me in that I can easily transport it. I'm tempted to bring it to a shindig on Friday as VR tends to be a fun party thing. Although, I'm not sure if I'll need more than just Beat Saber. Perhaps I should find some VR experiences too as those tend to be popular.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Surprised no one got the rift S. I'm waiting on the HP reverb to upgrade from my samsung odyssey. For what I will be using it, I don't really care much for the controller tracking.

Although I did have a bunch of oculus specific games, and I prefer the Oculus software to wmr. I just wish the optics in the S were equivalent to the reverb, at least for how I use these HMD's.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Support for custom songs has been (unofficially) added to the Oculus Quest. I tried it out earlier, and while the software is really new and could probably use a bit of polish/usability tweaks, it works just fine. The first time, you have to go through six steps, but after that, you should only really need to do one or two steps depending on what you're doing.

As a bit of a note, I tried the process first without realizing that there are two prompts to allow the connected PC to access the Quest. Awkwardly, the first let me select it without a controller (using the volume button), but the second one wouldn't. Anyway, just make sure to do both of them before doing step six. By default, doing this will erase your scores, but there is a feature to put them back; however, it requires you to run the game once post-install prior to adding the scores.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
One thing I'm not clear on - all the games tied to Steam or Oculus store can those even be loaded on these mobile headsets or do you have to rebuy them?

Reactions: linkgoron

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One thing I'm not clear on - all the games tied to Steam or Oculus store can those even be loaded on these mobile headsets or do you have to rebuy them?

The Oculus store does support cross-buy to allow games purchased for the Rift to work on the Quest. However, this is a developer opt-in feature and there are a few notable exceptions. For example, Beat Saber, Moss, and Superhot VR do not support cross-buy. However, with Beat Saber, any DLC content that is purchased (such as the Monstercat Music Pack) is cross-buy compatible. As for Steam games, the answer is no. Although, there is an option to stream SteamVR games to the Oculus Quest headset. It is a bit of a bummer for me given that pretty much all of my VR content is on Steam.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yea same boat. That's kind of what I figured.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I mean... I don't necessarily enjoy double dipping on products, but as someone that owns a Vive Pro and a PSVR, I don't necessarily want to play all games on the Quest. I see the Quest purely for its standalone, portable nature. It's something that I can bring over to a friend's house without having to worry about a PC or PS4, and have fun with games. On that end, I really see this leaning more toward those quick, arcade style games not games like Moss. Don't get me wrong... if I wanted to introduce someone to VR, I'd consider a game like Moss or Tilt Brush -- depending on what that person enjoys -- but I don't see it as something that gets a ton of use.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I fired up Skyrim VR for the first time last weekend and had a blast. I think it was maybe the most fun I've had in VR so far, with Lone Echo probably second. There were some minor bugs like characters sliding around but meh, that doesn't bother me much.

I'd really like to get that wireless adapter but damn man, $280? Yeesh.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'd really like to get that wireless adapter but damn man, $280? Yeesh.

It is quite a price, but maybe keep an eye out. There have been some rumors -- based upon looking into SteamVR updates -- that Valve might be trying to see if the wireless adapter will work for more than just the Vive (Pro). I feel like having the adapter work with more than just the Vive (for example... Index compatibility) would add some nice value to the device.

I do have a wireless adapter, and as for my take... if you play a lot of free-roaming VR games, consider it. If you tend to play games where you mostly face one direction (e.g. Beat Saber), it's probably not worth it. I went back to the wire because I was having some major issues, which I don't think were related to the wireless adapter itself, but whatever computer issue I was having was making the wireless situation unplayable. (The screen would go pastel blue for like 90% of the time the unit was on.) I mostly play Beat Saber now, so I haven't really gotten around to trying it out again. I also replaced my Vive Pro's rear foam with a VR Cover leather foam, and the Vive Pro's Wireless Kit comes with its own rear foam that goes up the top strap a bit (the wireless adapter wraps around it).

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Since I mainly use my VR for a military flight application I'm waiting for reviews from that community on the HP Reverb before I pack away my Samsung Odyssey and put it up for sale.

Seems like a 1080ti is the least you could have to run the reverb. Most reviews I've seen say it's much lighter which is good and also more comfortable than the Odyssey.

I also have no used my Rift at all since I got the Odyssey so I'll try and sell that too. I don't want too many headsets as they take up too much room in my closet.

I do say I preferred the Oculus software experience compared to wmr or steam vr. Way less hiccups.

Reactions: linkgoron

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It is quite a price, but maybe keep an eye out. There have been some rumors -- based upon looking into SteamVR updates -- that Valve might be trying to see if the wireless adapter will work for more than just the Vive (Pro). I feel like having the adapter work with more than just the Vive (for example... Index compatibility) would add some nice value to the device.

I do have a wireless adapter, and as for my take... if you play a lot of free-roaming VR games, consider it. If you tend to play games where you mostly face one direction (e.g. Beat Saber), it's probably not worth it. I went back to the wire because I was having some major issues, which I don't think were related to the wireless adapter itself, but whatever computer issue I was having was making the wireless situation unplayable. (The screen would go pastel blue for like 90% of the time the unit was on.) I mostly play Beat Saber now, so I haven't really gotten around to trying it out again. I also replaced my Vive Pro's rear foam with a VR Cover leather foam, and the Vive Pro's Wireless Kit comes with its own rear foam that goes up the top strap a bit (the wireless adapter wraps around it).
Thanks for the info. Yeah I do tend to play "roaming" VR games, though to be honest I don't play very much. But when I do I'm always trying to keep the cords over my back and not get twisted up in them. It's not game-breaking or *horrible* but I definitely think a wireless adapter would be a big experience boost for me.

So I'll try and keep my eyes open. It would be cool if there was a site or app that allowed you to put price alerts on products, like Cheap Shark exists for PC games (or Slickdeals for other stuff). Maybe I'll try adding one to Slickdeals.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Thanks for the info. Yeah I do tend to play "roaming" VR games, though to be honest I don't play very much. But when I do I'm always trying to keep the cords over my back and not get twisted up in them. It's not game-breaking or *horrible* but I definitely think a wireless adapter would be a big experience boost for me.

Have you tried something like a carabiner around a belt loop? It won't completely help keep the cable from getting wrapped around you if you turn a lot, but it can help keep the cable behind you. Along those lines, some people even go to the extreme to mount the cable along the ceiling on a leash-like setup. I've gotten pretty used to it at this point. if I feel it by my feet when playing Beat Saber, I'll just (lightly) kick it to the side.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Are there any really good newer games people are playing lately? I've not grabbed anything in some time as it seems most of them are the same or just not that interesting in general.

I know that one Justin Roiland game is out, but I'm over paying $30 for 3 hours of time.