General VR discussion thread

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
No other comments?

Wait for Quest... That's the holy grail ... as far as I am concerned.

I'd have gotten the Go, but... I wanted two controllers (more like the rift), and the 6 Deg of freedom.

I think it will be out in April sometime. I think it will be the game changer that changes everything in VR. We'll see!

Should be exciting times. Hopefully they will use the latest qualcomm chip.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My next VR test is going to be doing the whole Kinect setup. Ever since replacing my original Xbox One, I've had a Kinect lying around, so I figured... might as well give it a shot! It'll let me record embarrassing videos that project me into the VR world... hopefully. :p

This should be even more powerful than the pimax and Samsung Odyssey + whenever it comes out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...detail-upcoming-1443-ppi-oled-vr-display/amp/

Through quest seems like a more improved version of the Go headset. Not sure how it compares in visuals to the Odyssey/Odyssey+.

I do wonder how likely it is what we'll see a VR product with this? We've seen a good number of VR tech announcements, but it's kind of rare to get an actual product

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-hands-specs-tech-details-oculus-connect-5/2/

The 1,600 × 1,440 per-eye displays are OLED with a PenTile sub-pixel layout, Oculus confirmed to Road to VR ...

It will be interesting what the true specs are when it comes out. What concerns me the most...would be the weight esp, on the front of the unit. I think they should relocate the batteries and cpu circuitry etc etc to the back of the unit. I kinda hate having pressure put down around my nose. But, then again, no wires, maybe the head straps will takes some of that weight off.

Kinda funny, that lucky, is doing mods on the go, doing the same thing, evening out the weight.

Two major modifications cut Go’s weight from 400 grams down to 280 grams, making the headset noticeably more comfortable to wear, particularly when your head is moving. One relocates the battery from the front of the headset to the over-head strap, a change that simultaneously rebalances Go’s weight and enables the use of larger, easily swappable batteries. Another replaces the stock passive cooling system with an active but considerably lighter version that’s capable of being powered by the Go motherboard.

I know that facebook wants to keep the unit cost down. But, for those that have a few hundred more to spend, I'd like to have the 855 snapdragon cpu, with a bigger battery relocated to maybe even a lightweight backpack, with a the cpu, ram, motherboard and cooling all in there as well. one could have the backpack server as a carrying case, for the headset and controllers. So, say you wanted to have a battery that could power the unit all day, no problem, or be able to swap out batteries. The cool thing would be then you would just have the screen and optics inside of the headset making it as light as possible.

Doubt it will happen, but it would be nice.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Are you sure? An article just said as a non-PC-based system, it won't have nearly as good graphics as a PC system.
That's odd because I thought it was supposed to to be a PC based system. I'm definitely waiting for the next PC based system. I have the Odyssey right now and it's better than the rift in visuals but I guess If that google one isn't gonna be PC based the next best thing right now would be the pimax.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, so my issues with the wireless adapter seem to be getting worse. I was trying to set up the Kinect to record while in VR, and my Vive Pro kept dropping the signal constantly. Essentially, it would be displaying the Vive Home room, and all of a sudden, it turns bright blue. Maybe 10-20 seconds later, it would come back for a few seconds before dropping again. The Steam VR window kept showing the HMD going from a solid green to a green outline. I decided to try and see if it was an issue with the adapter, and I swapped the cable back in. Honestly, it works absolutely fine with the cable.

So, unfortunately for me, that means something is wrong with my wireless adapter. I considered whether the issue could be with its placement in the PC. I recall them suggesting to try other PCI-E slots if you have issues, but it's odd that it worked fine for about a week. I did switch PC components around recently, and I wasn't sure if that had a problem. It went from an i7-6700k to an i7-8700k, but I think the big change is the motherboard went from a higher end ASUS Maximus IX Hero to a simpler ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H board. Now, whether there's some difference in how they distribute their slots and whether I need to switch them... I guess it's worth a try?

Also, I'm wondering if the Kinect can cause issues with tracking or base station syncing? When I had the Kinect on, I kept noticing random reports of issues with base station syncing. Both the Kinect and the base stations use IR lights and the Kinect is positioned directly below one of the base stations.

So, I guess my current tasks will be to open 'er up and replace a noisy fan and shift the card up a slot or two and see what happens. I may also have to find a different spot for the Kinect that's at least not facing a base station -- possibly using a wall mount.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
In my research on how to leverage my XB1 Kinect, I kept seeing reports of issues with both IR and bandwidth. Seems that the Kinect is resource intensive as well as a blaster of IR that interferes with tracking. It wasn't made with other company's tracking devices in mind so it can cause issues. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There's a part of me that wants to try out the Oculus Quest with Beat Saber. Showing off fun games like that can be good, but it's certainly easier if you don't have to always invite people over or worry about setting up base stations, cameras, or computers. The only bad thing is that (a) I own Beat Saber on Steam, and (b) no word on mod support. The first point means I'd likely have to pay twice, which I think most gamers generally try to avoid, and the latter means you miss out on a ton of custom songs.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
wow, nobody bothered to post about the rift S.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3373881/hands-on-399-oculus-rift-s-vr.html
lcd single panel 1280x1440 per eye, no physical ipd adjust
insight inside out optical tracking
5th overhead camera for controller tracking
80hz refresh
cheaper audio, option for 3.5 jack headphones
new headband.
$399

current reddit meme: S = subpar.

I read about it on Ars, but honestly, the only thing that interested me was the fifth camera for better inside-out camera tracking. Oh, and that it was developed in part with Lenovo... that was a interesting tidbit.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I read about it on Ars, but honestly, the only thing that interested me was the fifth camera for better inside-out camera tracking. Oh, and that it was developed in part with Lenovo... that was a interesting tidbit.
the fact that rift cv1 is effectively out of production and being replaced with what is arguably a sidegrade has drawn some backlash. constellation really was a deadend so insideout being semi futureproof is nice but going down from 90hz oled to 80hz lcd and no physical ipd adjust, just seems like a downgrade.

they could have used the lg/google high rez oled panels, added the new headstrap, switched to insight, charged $450, called it cv1.5 and most people would have been fine with it.

at this point it seems like they are waiting for foveated rendering to be ready before they attempt cv2, and it feels like someone else will be the one to implement it first. at which point the argument will be that you can skip cv2 since mobile will be powerful enough with FovRend.

i suppose with the $400 starting price it may get lower than the $350 final price of rift cv1

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
i suppose with the $400 starting price it may get lower than the $350 final price of rift cv1

I'm wondering if that's their biggest reason for "cheaping out" on the new model. I think it's pretty fair to say that VR is a somewhat expensive and niche hobby. That doesn't mean it isn't fun, but it often has decent requirements and a modest cost to even buy the hardware. In that regard, one thing that I also saw in Ars's article is that they're stressing the low requirements of some VR games, which means the system only needs a 1050 to run. (They did state that some games will still need at least a 1060.)

So, I guess you could say that Oculus is in a bit of a race to the bottom. They're trying to make something that's usable, acceptable, and most of all... affordable.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Besides Superhot and Beat Saber, what are the best VR games to get into? Already played Skyrim enough in one lifetime so that's a pass unless it's really cheap.

Lone Echo is a must play. Just such a cool experience.

Robo Recall is fun as all hell too.

Arizona Sunshine is great fun as well.

Reactions: clamum

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Awkwardly enough, Valve also accidentally leaked their work-in-progress store page for the Index:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/valve-leaks-another-apparent-look-at-its-index-vr-headset/

Valve also confirmed that they did in fact accidentally upload and then remove the pages, and that the full reveal is still set for May. They also noted that the Knuckles controllers will be coming out with the device along with Base Station 2.0.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm not sure if the index will have better resolution than the Vive pro or Samsung Odyssey. They did not seem to list the specs.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
6yvDyu3.gif

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Havent' really been keeping up on any of this, but regarding what was posted earlier pre-orders are up for the new Valve units

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index

I've been saving up for an Oculus Quest this summer (comes out May 21st, just opened for pre-orders today!), which is the standalone headset with ~PS3-level graphical capabilities built-in. Right now I have an Oculus Go (basically replaced the Samsung Gear VR with a built-in smartphone-level chip, instead of having to use your cell phone), which I pretty much exclusively use with my Virzoom bike setup for cardio workouts, plus my Vive, which is running off my 1070 system. I have a small room & haven't bothered upgrading to wireless as of yet. The Index looks really neat, but I'll probably wait until they ship from the factory with built-in wireless & foveated rendering, so I probably have another generation to go before that happens. Would be curious to try an Index in-person tho!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Newegg also sent me an email about Oculus rift S preorders. This one is supposed to have much better resolution.