General VR discussion thread

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Its crystal clear... 2.0 isn't coming. Everything shown off at all the recent *CON's is now just another prototype never to see the market. It has been cancelled and the head of the entire project has just quit in protest because he doesn't want to be associated with what they want to push on the public.

Right, for Oculus 2.0, apparently.

What about Vive 2.0? What about another company?

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Happy I bought the Oculus Rift. Hopefully a wireless headset will someday make the scene.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was really looking forward to what was being shown as the 2.0, (i.e. 140degree field of view and 4k panels). I'm not so sure how well the mechanical lens focusing would have worked and I could see it being a major point of failure for device longevity. But the field of view and resolution are easily the two areas that need an upgrade.

Resolution is going to be rough still until we have computer graphics cards which can handle 4k panels for each eye (it isn't as bad computationally as actually having two 4k monitors, but we still do not have cards which can run with all the eye candy turned on at 4k resolutions consistently over 60fps for all games, let alone the 90-150 fps needed to prevent motion sickness from your eyes being out of sync of your head movements due to screen lag (sensor lag is also an issue, but I believe that has actual fixes we will see in the next year or so, whereas graphics are 2-3 years away).

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ugh. Been waiting a long time for '2.0' and now it's less clear that it's even coming.

Me to, ive now come to the conclusion that VR is just happening to soon and ill check back in a decade. Seems to me its now moving backwards not forwards.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have no complaints about either the Vive or Rift (well I do..but). I'm glad I got them. It's a new medium that has added some different gameplay and storytelling elements. The only other thing we really have to compare it to is the Virtual Boy, and it's 1000x better than that.

What sucks though is that I think new well done applications will be less and less - or phone only. Which will be a big step backward

Craig - I really don't know if you want to but it depends on what you are interested in. You missed the heyday of the online community when everything was fresh and new. That was the high point for me. 80% of everything single player is is stand in place shooter clones, with maybe 15% being unique so-so to bad, and 5% actually being amazing.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Bummer about the Rift 2.:( Even taking FB at their word that they'll still release another PC headset, I agree there's no reason now to expect that it will be another high-end, cutting-edge design like the Rift 1 was in 2016.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The only other headset that I would have interest in besides the Google and lg one is the pimax 5k+. It hasn't been out yet to get any decent exposure besides preview events.

Those looking now can't go wrong with the Odyssey if you want cleaner visuals. If you're looking for a more comfortable and simpler Software solution the rift is fine. Although for that I use vr for the resolution matters more to me so I stuck with the Odyssey and haven't used my rift much.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The only other headset that I would have interest in besides the Google and lg one is the pimax 5k+. It hasn't been out yet to get any decent exposure besides preview events.

Haven't certain backers already received their headsets? Also, it's supposedly going up for pre-order today, but the rumored price is $700 for just the HMD.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are waiting for VR 2.0. Vive did the "Pro" thing, but meh. The wireless isn't quite where I want it to be either, so I'm just sticking with the good 'ole cable setup for now, haha.

What's wrong with the wireless? I haven't had any issues with it so far... albeit, you do look even more awkward with it on. Although, one dude supposedly had minor burns or something like that occur due to heat from the unit. The required Vive Pro pack includes a cushion for the top of your head, so that wouldn't happen, but the original wireless setup doesn't have that.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Haven't certain backers already received their headsets? Also, it's supposedly going up for pre-order today, but the rumored price is $700 for just the HMD.

What's wrong with the wireless? I haven't had any issues with it so far... albeit, you do look even more awkward with it on. Although, one dude supposedly had minor burns or something like that occur due to heat from the unit. The required Vive Pro pack includes a cushion for the top of your head, so that wouldn't happen, but the original wireless setup doesn't have that.
Oh I wasn't aware that they would be shipping them out to the backers already. One guy that uses vr for the military flight sim ive used and worked on described his thoughts here.

https://youtu.be/RrJIloCWti8

That is a lot of money just for the headset. In my case I probably would not upgrade to another headset until I get a 7nm gpu. Although the guy mentions they had PC's running a 2080ti and a 1080ti for the pimax 5k+ and he could not distinguish any performance degrading between the two cards.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh I wasn't aware that they would be shipping them out to the backers already. One guy that uses vr for the military flight sim ive used and worked on described his thoughts here.

https://youtu.be/RrJIloCWti8

That is a lot of money just for the headset. In my case I probably would not upgrade to another headset until I get a 7nm gpu. Although the guy mentions they had PC's running a 2080ti and a 1080ti for the pimax 5k+ and he could not distinguish any performance degrading between the two cards.

The one thing that I find interesting is that early users have stated that they'd give up wireless on the Vive for the larger FoV on the Pimax. Wireless is really nice from a usability standpoint, so it would be interesting to try out a Pimax. Given that the 5K was only $500 or so during the Kickstarter, I guess it would've been good if I had gotten one. :p Like most, I wanted the 8K, but it sold out and I completely ignored the "weaker" 5K... which is now considered the best option.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
9Ji5NuQ.jpg

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, I'd been considering getting some VR on a big discount on a black friday sale, but they look minimal - I had to search to even find any. The three options look like Oculus Rift ($350), Vive, or Vive Pro (~$1000). Worth getting any of these or just keep waiting for...

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I have the Vive but if I were getting into this right now, the Oculus Rift would be the one I'll get. I chose the former due to room scaling which I thing the latter has now...I think.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If you have a PC that can do VR, then no way. If not, then sure I suppose....but I can tell you from your posts that you won't be happy with it so why bother? It isn't at all on the same level.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you have a PC that can do VR, then no way. If not, then sure I suppose....but I can tell you from your posts that you won't be happy with it so why bother? It isn't at all on the same level.

Ah that's disappointing. I was hoping that the mass market, comfort, economies of scale would make the PS4 VR a good alternative for half or less of the price.

I tried one at a store - I think it was Oculus Rift - and it wouldn't fit on with my glasses, so I'd need to get those prescription lenses if I got that or maybe even another.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ah that's disappointing. I was hoping that the mass market, comfort, economies of scale would make the PS4 VR a good alternative for half or less of the price.

I tried one at a store - I think it was Oculus Rift - and it wouldn't fit on with my glasses, so I'd need to get those prescription lenses if I got that or maybe even another.

Yea it's wierd with VR. I wear contacts and/or glasses but at first I thought that because it is a screen right in front of your eyes then unless you were really far-sighted you should be able to see it clearly. I was wrong. It was blurry and my near sight vision is really good.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've seen the Samsung Odyssey+ being recommended as a good option. To be clear, it's a WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) headset, which means it uses inside-out tracking (tracks using cameras on the headset). This does give you some limitations in how it can track your controllers, but I've seen some good remarks about the headset's video quality. Right now, the headset is on sale at Microsoft's store, but I think it's also out of stock. :(