General VR discussion thread

Page 78 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
This is somewhat off topic based on looking at what others are discussing in here. But I'm wondering what games I should look into purchasing on steam for the VR? any suggestions?
Werewolves within is something I’ve spent 400 hours on. It’s not room scale, doesn’t require the wands, but unlimited fun (if you like social deduction).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If it's your cup of tea, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just released a VR variant, which is free to all owners of the original game -- even if you buy it afterward. To note, the only storefronts this freebie offer is supported on is GoG and Steam (direct purchase or third-party keys). I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

The game is also currently on sale at Humble Bundle's Store.

I just tried it in VR - hadn't played it before. I was a bit skeptical because it is 3rd person but it is pretty cool and it works in VR really well - and the visuals are really good. They handle cutscenes in a great way too. There is no reason they couldn't make a good Tomb Raider this way.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I just tried it in VR - hadn't played it before. I was a bit skeptical because it is 3rd person but it is pretty cool and it works in VR really well - and the visuals are really good. They handle cutscenes in a great way too. There is no reason they couldn't make a good Tomb Raider this way.

Sure, and you could zoom in and out of 1st person for some mini games. Like the climbing sections could zoom in and you do them like 'the climb'. During combat maybe you'd have a 'look down sights' button that zooms you into first person to really aim well, or snipe across the map or something.

NegativeBeef

Mar 10, 2005
The next Oculus rift should have a front facing camera like the Vive so that you can use the camera to see what's around you instead of taking the headset off.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If it's your cup of tea, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just released a VR variant, which is free to all owners of the original game -- even if you buy it afterward. To note, the only storefronts this freebie offer is supported on is GoG and Steam (direct purchase or third-party keys). I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

The game is also currently on sale at Humble Bundle's Store.
They have it on sale for the ps4 too. I ended up getting it for the PC though but I was debating on playing it on the PS4 pro because I have a 4k tv. But my 1440p monitor should be fine and I will be able to max it out too. For some reason lately I've been preferring to play games on the PS4 just because it's more comfy for me to sit on my recliner and lean back, and the controller feedback is nice too in some games.

I'll have to try it out in VR on the odyssey as well. Although with games like these I may get motion sick.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
If anyone tries out Marvel Powers United VR, I'd be curious to hear your report.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
tech journalism isnt what it used to be.

Multiple announcements of virtualLink standard for usb-c:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13088/virtuallink-announced-standardized-connector-for-vr-headsets
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/virtuallink-virtual-reality-display-interface,37470.html

~3 weeks later
derpwit article on nv turing with sensational title "Nvidia GTX 1180 to Use New High-Speed Connector: What You Need to Know"
What about VR support?
According to our sources, GTX 1180 will be capable of outputting up to 120Hz to VR headsets at high resolutions over a single cable. To support this high refresh rate, Nvidia will use a new connector. Our main source suggests that it will be a proprietary Nvidia connector.However, given that the new HDMI 2.1 standard supports this kind of refresh rate and that headset manufacturers prefer industry standards, we think there's a strong possibility that it will use HDMI.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
tech journalism isnt what it used to be.

Multiple announcements of virtualLink standard for usb-c:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13088/virtuallink-announced-standardized-connector-for-vr-headsets
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/virtuallink-virtual-reality-display-interface,37470.html

~3 weeks later
derpwit article on nv turing with sensational title "Nvidia GTX 1180 to Use New High-Speed Connector: What You Need to Know"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html
That's a Tom's Hardware thing. The site's probably in trouble, as it seems like they're publishing increasing amounts of rumors and clickbait.:(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
HTC announced the Vive Wireless Adapter. Pre-orders start on September 5, but there's no information on the actual release date. Also, Vive Pro owners will have to pay an additional $60 to get a compatibility pack, which includes the cables needed to connect to the Vive Pro as well as attachment mechanisms and padding.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
HTC announced the Vive Wireless Adapter. Pre-orders start on September 5, but there's no information on the actual release date. Also, Vive Pro owners will have to pay an additional $60 to get a compatibility pack, which includes the cables needed to connect to the Vive Pro as well as attachment mechanisms and padding.
Aw shizzle dawg. I figured it was gonna be pricey, but $300? Mother scratcher. I guess I'll throw down for it anyway, cause the cables are definitely annoying. LOL, poor Pro owners. They already shelled out all that money for the Pro and then get slapped with a $60 premium for the wireless.

Side note, does anyone have any idea when the next generation Vive will come out? 2019, or later you think?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Aw shizzle dawg. I figured it was gonna be pricey, but $300? Mother scratcher. I guess I'll throw down for it anyway, cause the cables are definitely annoying.

That's the same price as TPCast, so it's not too crazy.

Old Vive HMDs go for about $200-250 on eBay, so since I have the Pro, I'll probably just sell my original HMD to pay for a good chunk of the wireless adapter.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That's the same price as TPCast, so it's not too crazy.

Old Vive HMDs go for about $200-250 on eBay, so since I have the Pro, I'll probably just sell my original HMD to pay for a good chunk of the wireless adapter.
Man I was hoping I could sell my Vive for maybe half of what I paid for it, before the second generation is released, but it looks like I'll only be able to make 1/4 back (for Vive + wireless set, unless wireless will work with Gen 2)? Yeesh.

black-and-white-cry-cry-girl-depressed-depression-depressive-Favim.com-39869.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Man I was hoping I could sell my Vive for maybe half of what I paid for it, before the second generation is released, but it looks like I'll only be able to make 1/4 back (for Vive + wireless set, unless wireless will work with Gen 2)? Yeesh.

The price that I mentioned is for the HMD only. I haven't looked up how much the entire kit goes for since I still need the controllers and base stations for the Vive Pro. (I am waiting for the Knuckles controllers though.) The one huge advantage that a used Vive has is that HTC's pricing is so bad on replacement parts that used parts are still worth a good amount. Heck, HTC's pricing is so bad that you're likely better off buying a brand new Vive, taking the part(s) you need, and selling the rest. You should come out ahead.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've posted before, that I'd think it's likely there will be a big price drop in used gen 1 as gen 2 gets closer, so you might want to sell earlier than later.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've posted before, that I'd think it's likely there will be a big price drop in used gen 1 as gen 2 gets closer, so you might want to sell earlier than later.
Yeah I wouldn't doubt it. Do you have any idea when Generation 2 is gonna hit the market? I have no idea.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If you haven't seen Ready Player One, you should definitely check it out! Story is fairly simple (oriented towards the early-teen market), but the graphics & concepts are just incredible, they did a really great job on it! Super fun from a VR perspective!

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
If you haven't seen Ready Player One, you should definitely check it out! Story is fairly simple (oriented towards the early-teen market), but the graphics & concepts are just incredible, they did a really great job on it! Super fun from a VR perspective!
+1 on this. I tried it out a few weeks ago and for something that is free, they did a better job that the ones you pay for!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Can't remember if I posted or not, but I've been playing with the Oculus Go for awhile:

1. It's what I wanted when I first had the GearVR with my old Note 5 or whatever fit into it - an AIO, integrated system.

2. Roomscale has ruined portable VR for me, however - the Go just feels gimped because of that.

3. It's not a bad system for what it is...price is decent, features are really nice.

4. Still can't stand watching Netflix because of the non-Retina resolution...too much details are lost, resulting in a just-fuzzy-enough picture to kind of give me an eyestrain headache over time.

5. It is fun to use to show off VR, but the bulk of my IRL friends got that between the Gear (on the go) & the Vive (at my house), so it's not as much of a novelty anymore.

6. Buy a Vive instead lol.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
The opening keynote of the Oculus Connect event is at 1 PM Eastern/10 AM Pacific today. There may be some new product announcements.