General VR discussion thread

Page 76 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Honestly not sure why it is getting so much love....it isn't new ground at all.
Agreed. It looks like a good rhythm game, but I'm surprised by the attention it gets. It's not really doing anything new.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Agreed. It looks like a good rhythm game, but I'm surprised by the attention it gets. It's not really doing anything new.

It's kind of common in the VR space. I think that's because VR doesn't get a ton of good games, and it's not like they're games with much longevity, and to a degree, there's likely not a lot to discuss with them either. I mean... I could extol Space Pirate Trainer, but in the end, it's just an arcade-style shooter that I'd probably play for a week and look for something else. (That doesn't mean the game isn't good... it actually is quite good.) From what I've read in comments (keep in mind that I haven't played it yet), people also seem to like that it isn't yet another randomly generated music game like AudioShield.

Although, given that Budget Cuts comes out in about two weeks, I get the feeling that people will probably start talking about that one pretty soon given that it's had a lot of hype over its development.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
the LoadingReadyRun crew did a stream of Beat Saber last week, one of them is an actual game dev so there were some good insights.

it breaks convention by not focusing on perfect timing and just on hits and swing speed for point multiplier. the basic play just makes you feel cool even if you dont look cool.(though the LIV vids on yt suggest you can get close.)
the sequences are well choreographed and there is enough versatility in the direction markers to always have some new twist able to be added.(variable angle slashes, free slash, and walls can change the feel of any sequence)

its been released but it is still early access, so more songs and modes are still coming. they only released it early because the current incomplete version was getting such rave reviews.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Qualcomm announced the XR1 SoC targeted specifically at standalone VR headsets. It'll be more for general VR use and not intended for games or more intensive VR apps. They stated it won't be on par with the 845 found in the flagship phones out right now.

I think this is taking VR backwards. Sure the low price will be more attractive to the masses but a crappy experience will just turn them off to the experience.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I wish the new Wipeout compilation for PSVR had a PC version. Man I love wipeout but the PC ripoff games like Redout suck. I mean I guess they tried, has a lot of similarities but just not the same. So far there still has not been any VR games that interest me much. So many feel like little demo's or look like blocky cartoons where the more serious ones just feel lacking. Without games like AC:eek:rigins, Kingdome come, The Crew 2 even....VR's game scape just feels very bland to me still.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Oh boy. I've waited this long for 2.0, but today Oculus Rift is on sale on Amazon for $270, $300 with tax, it's tempting...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea for that price it's worth it. I've been moved to the Samsung Odyssey and still have the rift. But I mainly use a military flight sim for VR so the odyssey offers better visuals in that regard.

It may have gone back up to $399 because I checked my Google feed this morning and it stated $350 but when I clicked the link in the article the price was different.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yea for that price it's worth it. I've been moved to the Samsung Odyssey and still have the rift. But I mainly use a military flight sim for VR so the odyssey offers better visuals in that regard.

It may have gone back up to $399 because I checked my Google feed this morning and it stated $350 but when I clicked the link in the article the price was different.

It's partly not just whether it's worth it, but when 2.0 is coming if it makes sense to wait for that. I remember trying on either the Vive or Rift also and having it not fit well with glasses.

Just updated the cart and it's still the same price, $270 plus tax.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's partly not just whether it's worth it, but when 2.0 is coming if it makes sense to wait for that. I remember trying on either the Vive or Rift also and having it not fit well with glasses.

Yea I would not be able to wear glasses in either headset. I wear contacts instead. It definitely makes a difference without contacts or glasses but some people think it shouldn't since your eyes are close to the screen.

Also 2.0 version is what I would want too but we don't even have a gpu capable of pushing that. I am also interested in the Google /LG headset. That should be better than rift 2.0.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yea I would not be able to wear glasses in either headset. I wear contacts instead. It definitely makes a difference without contacts or glasses but some people think it shouldn't since your eyes are close to the screen.

Also 2.0 version is what I would want too but we don't even have a gpu capable of pushing that. I am also interested in the Google /LG headset. That should be better than rift 2.0.

Ya, these are all reasons to hold off despite the good price... not familiar with the Google/LG.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Probably still a few years away from real 2.0 sets. Late 2019, into 2020 is reasonable. Even then they'll probably be $1k sets when they come out. You can get glasses inserts for either vive or rift. I bought a 3d printed holder from my rift that used lenses from a set of glasses that was $10 off zenni. Bam. No glasses needed for like $25 total.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Probably still a few years away from real 2.0 sets. Late 2019, into 2020 is reasonable. Even then they'll probably be $1k sets when they come out. You can get glasses inserts for either vive or rift. I bought a 3d printed holder from my rift that used lenses from a set of glasses that was $10 off zenni. Bam. No glasses needed for like $25 total.

Do the glasses inserts allow glasses to fit, or are they to make "no glasses needed"? Glasses are needed to see the images.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Do the glasses inserts allow glasses to fit, or are they to make "no glasses needed"? Glasses are needed to see the images.

They put correctional lenses right in front of the VR HMD's lenses. I've tried the 3D printed method, which didn't go well, and I have a set of third party ones.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What does that mean? Glasses have prescriptions, they can't just put generic glasses in to make the picture sharp.
You give the company your prescription for glasses and they design lenses that you swap out of your rift for the prescription ones. Not sure if you can do the same with the odyssey.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Its basically a Rx frame that clips into your rift or whatever. I leave mine in all the time since I'm the only user, but it only takes a few seconds to pop them in or out if you share.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I'm going to look into that as well because sometimes I want to use the headset after I've been wearing contacts all day and my eyes are just too tired to keep the contacts in. Just need.to see if they support the Samsung Odyssey too.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The site is a little confusing - you pick between "VR Frame" and "VR Frame with prescription lenses" for about $40 more.

What the heck is "VR Frame" without prescription lenses, isn't that the point?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The site is a little confusing - you pick between "VR Frame" and "VR Frame with prescription lenses" for about $40 more.

What the heck is "VR Frame" without prescription lenses, isn't that the point?

VR Frame is literally just the frame without a lens... or they might also include a non-prescription lens. Why would you do that? It serves as a method to protect your HMD's lenses.