General VR discussion thread

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Picked up a Samsung Odyssey today to compare with my rift. Resolution is better. I use it just for flying in DCS but I don't think the hmd is as comfy. I can't get it to sit correctly on my head snugged in because I notice looking at some flight instruments on my right they appear blurry unless I push the headset more on my face, or shove it down more. This causes my nose to be squashed and it's hard to breathe lol.

But in general it has a way better fov than the rift and makes flying much more enjoyable. My mobo has built in Bluetooth but the controllers won't pair. The PC does not even see them so I guess I am going now to get 4.0 dongle.

I ended up returning the Odyssey. The HMD didn't really fit my head very well. It was really tight on my forehead. I also had some controller tracking issues. I don't know if it was the headset or the Bluetooth in my laptop, but the left controller kept freezing in place when I would drop it to my side. Even if I brought it back into view, it wouldn't track for about a minute. I also thought the cable was too short, which made it awkward to setup the roomscale since setting it up requires you to move the headset around the perimeter sort of like you would the Vive's controller.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ended up returning the Odyssey. The HMD didn't really fit my head very well. It was really tight on my forehead. I also had some controller tracking issues. I don't know if it was the headset or the Bluetooth in my laptop, but the left controller kept freezing in place when I would drop it to my side. Even if I brought it back into view, it wouldn't track for about a minute. I also thought the cable was too short, which made it awkward to setup the roomscale since setting it up requires you to move the headset around the perimeter sort of like you would the Vive's controller.
I mostly use it while sitting. My onboard Bluetooth didn't pick up the controllers until I got another Bluetooth adapter. They are fine now but I prefer the rift controllers. Overall the clarity of the screen is much better than the rift and really helps me for flying. I can also play my occulus games with the third party revive application but because the odyssey controllers are weird the assignments are different.

It also is annoying to put on my head and get the nice crisp view each time. Have to adjust it every time I put it on so it's annoying. Other than that I think for what I'm using it for, I'll keep it for now. Really can't wait for the Google and lg headset reveal in May.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Great Oculus Go video review on Engadget: (standalone VR headset - no Roomscale)

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/

32gb for $200, 64gb for $250:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076CWS8C6/

It's basically a standalone GearVR (no phone required). Mega-thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8ganyo/oculus_go_reviews_megathread/

Note that the upcoming Santa Cruz version will have 6DOF, which lets you walk around without any Lighthouses or cameras (also called "worldscale"), plus integrated electronics so you don't need a computer to tether. Here's a review of the competing Vive Focus:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7y99b6/vive_focus_full_review_by_clanvirtu/

If you skip ahead to about 3:10, they take it for a walk outside & basically have unlimited outdoor tracking via the two onboard front cameras, which is pretty dang cool.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Why only 32gb and 64gb max? This is 2018. It should be atleast 64gb base and 128gb max.

I hope these don't become quick throw-a-ways with the limited storage space and un-upgradeable SoC. But for people who are ok with the GearVR experience I think this could be a good addition/replacement. It's a PITA to have to pop my phone out of it's case, make sure it's unlocked and BT on whenever I want to use my GearVR. For the true enthusiasts I think the Santa Cruz model will be what they'll want.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
It'll be good for watching 3d video content. Especially the kind where you want to be in a private environment and untethered.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So it's pretty clear where the useless manager/marketer from the windows phone group ended up.

I gotta give them credit they did such a poor job launching Microsoft Mixed Reality products that it hasn't even gotten called out as a failure yet.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
So it's pretty clear where the useless manager/marketer from the windows phone group ended up.

I gotta give them credit they did such a poor job launching Microsoft Mixed Reality products that it hasn't even gotten called out as a failure yet.

Aren't they just creating the backend and letting their partners (dell, lenovo, hp..etc) handle the hardware? Not sure you can solely blame MS if the headsets suck. Samsung's version is suppose to be the best but it's getting mixed reviews so who knows how bad the cheaper ones are.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003

I have the Samsung Odyssey and it is great and I am enjoying it. Not sure how well WMR is selling compare to others, though MS could have done better marketing I suppose. But the fact is that VR in PC (and even VR in general) is still a niche and will remain a niche for a while and no amount of marketing is going to change that.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I haven't used GearVR or phone VR in general. What exactly can you do with these other than video? Do they compare at all to the content on Rift/Vive?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I haven't used GearVR or phone VR in general. What exactly can you do with these other than video? Do they compare at all to the content on Rift/Vive?

Yes, it can do more than just video but because of the processing power of the phone you won't have full access to all content. Games will be shorter and less graphic intensive. It can still draw you in if there's a decent story but again most are too short to really develop one. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for any of them.

Video is decent on them. I downloaded Blade Runner 2046 in 3D (top and bottom) and it was pretty good. The file was 10GB though. I also tried that VisBit app with 8k content and you can really see the difference with the increase in the resolution. My S8 has nowhere near the res of even 4k but the additional res downsampled looks much better, especially things further away.

I still need to watch some review videos on youtube for the Oculus Go now that it's out. Let's see what it can do to take standalone VR to the next step.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Why only 32gb and 64gb max? This is 2018. It should be atleast 64gb base and 128gb max.

My guess is just to keep the cost down. $199 for a standalone, turnkey VR headset is a great deal tbh. imo, that's what they should have started with, before the GearVR & before the Rift. Give people an easy entry at a reasonable price. Even the PSVR is too confusing & too expensive for a lot of people.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Think of it like gaming on a PC with Steam (Vive/Rift) vs. gaming on mobile (iOS/Android) - the games can be plenty fun, but they're limited to mobile download sizes & mobile GPU's. I did have a lot of fun with my GearVR, which was my first VR headset. I just use the Rift now.

I am curious to try the Oculus Go. My brother wanted to get one for movies, but didn't want to get an Android phone for the GearVR, so this may be the right answer for him. I'm very interested in the Santa Cruz myself...6DOF is sweeeeeeeet!

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
My guess is just to keep the cost down. $199 for a standalone, turnkey VR headset is a great deal tbh. imo, that's what they should have started with, before the GearVR & before the Rift. Give people an easy entry at a reasonable price. Even the PSVR is too confusing & too expensive for a lot of people.

I think that's exactly who they're targeting. Everyone who don't have Android or a Samsung phone can now pick one up. But they probably couldn't make it at this price back then with the panel and SoC. Heck to get this price point they had to go with a previous gen SoC and skimp on the storage. Seems to be getting good reviews so far but getting trashed by the vr enthusiasts, which I'm confused cause this clearly isn't intended for them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Anything that is considered 'not top of the line' and a step back from 'main vr' is condemned. Mostly because on the whole it gives a bad impression of what VR really can do. The major drawback being that people seem to think holodeck level graphics should cost $100.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I tried a dk1, owned a dk2, and have a cv1 rift. Its easy to see the evolution. Having the head tracking in dk2 added a lot of presence. You're missing that in the go. The changes from dk2 to cv1 were nice by not monumental without touch. Touch really made VR special. Not only could I see, but I could interact in a natural way. 6dof and hand tracking on both hands should be the minimum bar of entry for VR. Otherwise you won't have the same wow factor. I don't care so much about resolution or GPU in the go. Dealing with lower fidelity graphics is fine. Trouble is if you try it with less than 6dof and hand tracking people will dimiss it as garbage like 3d tv has been. It's 'poisoning the well' as is often said in VR circles.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
My mobo has built in Bluetooth but the controllers won't pair. The PC does not even see them so I guess I am going now to get 4.0 dongle.

Does your mobo have the connector with wire that plugs into the back panel and ends with a bt transmitter/receiver?

I only ask because the first time I attempted to use my built in Bluetooth it performed terribly until I realized that there was an extension Bluetooth module that screws into the back of the mobo and allowed me to set the module on my desk. Since then the Bluetooth has worked flawlessly. (this module was packed separately in my mobo box. My mobo supports BT 4.1

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Does your mobo have the connector with wire that plugs into the back panel and ends with a bt transmitter/receiver?

I only ask because the first time I attempted to use my built in Bluetooth it performed terribly until I realized that there was an extension Bluetooth module that screws into the back of the mobo and allowed me to set the module on my desk. Since then the Bluetooth has worked flawlessly. (this module was packed separately in my mobo box.
Yea it's in the box still. I thought that was just for extending wireless signal. Because the mobo has wifi too and if I disable my Ethernet card I can connect to my router via wireless.

For Bluetooth my desktop only sees my klepsch speakers. Not sure if that also is for Bluetooth. I rarely use the odyssey controllers anyway.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Has anyone tried out Beat Saber yet? It's sort of the new hot VR game at the moment, and I haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Has anyone tried out Beat Saber yet? It's sort of the new hot VR game at the moment, and I haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Looks fun but I'm thinking might it get boring after you've done all the songs on there after a while?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Looks fun but I'm thinking might it get boring after you've done all the songs on there after a while?

Mmm I think it depends. I'm not a beat game junkie like some, but I've done a bit of DDR and such in the past. I think it helps if there are songs that you enjoy playing. For example, I've played L.E.D.'s Something Wonderful in DDR many, many times because I like the song and it wasn't too ridiculously hard so it served as good practice for harder songs.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
That's why I got sound boxing. Users can create new track there so its pretty much impossible to run out of content.