General VR discussion thread

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Arizona Sunshine is my favorite VR game to date followed closely by Lone Echo (which does not make me sick). Robo Recall is great but it is a pretty active game; as in you will move around a lot.
I dunno when I'll finish lone echo. I always get sick and I've played it a bunch of times by now.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
The only game that messes me up a bit is Onward. Full movement #$&@* with my head. I found the best way around that is to get in a firing position, knees bent and lean into the direction I'm moving. I think it tricks my brain into thinking my body is indeed moving.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I'm playing a lot of "werewolves within" It's not always active, but when it is, it's fun!

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Get yer Quake2VR on now. Works with Rift controller support and on the Vive using ReVive.

Get it here: http://www.malcolm-s.net/q2vr/

I'd suggest downloading the full pack - it has updated textures and the music from the game. Unzip the file into its own folder and copy the pak0.pak (from your Steam version or from a copy of Quake 2 you may own) into the baseq2 folder inside this new folder.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
looks like someone actually went there.
8k headset. they gave the Tested crew a chance to review, which will be out sometime later.
http://pimaxvr.com/?lang=en
looks like it is using lighthouses and tweaked wands.

Seems like they're in dire need of DisplayPort 1.4. A user on the Vive subreddit noted that it has two HDMI cables to drive the display.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Everything's in dire need of display port 1.4. I use my UHD tv as my PC monitor but I can't output RGB 4k @ 60hz in HDR10 because of the HDMI 2.2 bandwidth limitation. :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Everything's in dire need of display port 1.4. I use my UHD tv as my PC monitor but I can't output RGB 4k @ 60hz in HDR10 because of the HDMI 2.2 bandwidth limitation. :(

You should be able to do 4K60 with a YCbCr of 4:4:4. Although, I hope you're not using HDR on the desktop. In my experience, it sucks... Windows just isn't designed to properly adjust colors, which means things look dark and washed out. I bought a TCL 55P605, because I wanted to try it out, and my HTPC just looked so bad after hooking it up. Once I went into Display Settings and turned off the HDR option, it looked fine. Now, I did do a little bit of research on this, and apparently, the feature was added in the Creators Update, but it shouldn't affect any games that offer an HDR option as those existed even prior to the updates.

Reactions: sze5003

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yeah, I was able to get it to work with YCbCr of 4:4:4. But Text had a red shadow with it so now I just output in rgb 4k @ 60hz in 8bit instead of HDR10.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
By the way, if you're interested in the Pimax 8K, it's currently on Kickstarter.

I'm considering it... especially since I already own the Vive, and the Pimax works with the Vive tracking hardware. The biggest thing is that I've heard some negative remarks over the excessively large FoV. Apparently, right now they use a sort of stretching to get it to work, but I've also read remarks from developers that FoV gets a bit hairy at such large values. It makes me think that the screen could seriously use some eye tracking rather than try to fill the entire thing at all times.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
By the way, if you're interested in the Pimax 8K, it's currently on Kickstarter.

I'm considering it... especially since I already own the Vive, and the Pimax works with the Vive tracking hardware. The biggest thing is that I've heard some negative remarks over the excessively large FoV. Apparently, right now they use a sort of stretching to get it to work, but I've also read remarks from developers that FoV gets a bit hairy at such large values. It makes me think that the screen could seriously use some eye tracking rather than try to fill the entire thing at all times.
the Tested preview is up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuVWs9IZIvk
not quite final hardware, but the summary starts around the 22 min mark.
  • wide fov is nice to have but none of the current games are set up to handle it, so stretching as a bodge
  • not sure if it is working at 90hz, feels more like 60
  • the signal is only good for 4k so they are upscaling
  • tons of 3rd party partner add-ons: eye tracking, leapmotion, etc
  • 5k version for corporate
  • compatible with lighthouse 1.0 and wands but they will be making their own controllers.
  • interpupil distance is a software adjustment of the pixels and not a physical movement of the screen/lens

seems like you may need to wait to see if they iron out the bugs, otherwise you are really gambling on the kickstarter. unless there is a significant price discount for the KS, it isnt compelling.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
samsung Odyssey headset.
the controllers raise a lot of questions.
http://techreport.com/news/32641/samsung-hmd-odyssey-sets-sail-for-the-mixed-reality-party
https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-hmd-odyssey-ultimate-windows-mixed-reality-experience/

HMD-Odyssey_1.jpg

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
tested review of the odyssey is up though it is more about the ms m/v/ar release.
16x14 res/eye is almost to the point of no screendoor, wider fov, physical ipd adjust for $50 more over ms m/v/ar spec for headsets. no passthru
tracking is ms optical insideout (no lighthouse stations) which also tracks controllers so if they leave the camera view they freeze positional but the gyro continues.
steam compatible on most fronts.

Reactions: Marc_Plante

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I noticed that and grabbed it. I haven't touched my Rift in months, but Dragon Front is still probably my favorite Rift game. I just can't get into Echo Arena, I seriously don't understand what people like about it. Rec Room paintball is still my go to game lol. Knockout League has been my workout regiment, that game is utterly exhausting if you don't half ass it.

Marc_Plante

Aug 8, 2017
tested review of the odyssey is up though it is more about the ms m/v/ar release.
16x14 res/eye is almost to the point of no screendoor, wider fov, physical ipd adjust for $50 more over ms m/v/ar spec for headsets. no passthru
tracking is ms optical insideout (no lighthouse stations) which also tracks controllers so if they leave the camera view they freeze positional but the gyro continues.
steam compatible on most fronts.
Next big question mark is Pixmax and there 8k units, though the 5k would suffice for me. Don't want a house heating pc

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Speaking of the Pimax, has anyone here backed it? I'm tempted to check out the 8K given all the complaints that I've had about unreadable text in games. At least their representative images certainly suggest that their system will have far, far less screen door effect, which should make it more readable.

Next big question mark is Pixmax and there 8k units, though the 5k would suffice for me. Don't want a house heating pc

You mean the Pimax 8KX? The Pimax 5K and Pimax 8K have the exact same system requirements as they both take the same resolution image and scale it to the screen. The 8KX is the one that uses two 4K screens and takes in two 4K signals.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Speaking of the Pimax, has anyone here backed it? I'm tempted to check out the 8K given all the complaints that I've had about unreadable text in games. At least their representative images certainly suggest that their system will have far, far less screen door effect, which should make it more readable.
toms has a review of the 8k prototype up. it addresses some of the issues(headstrap,usb-c cable, hardware ipd adjust) and reports that the final units should have the required fixes. the john carmack keynote suggests lcd shouldnt be a huge issue with latency/persistence. i would wait as long as possible to see if they commit to 90hz in the specs.

the main issue is the lack of support for the aspect ratio. no amount of software scaling will overcome developers not supporting the output natively. with the samsung odyssey being higher res and width, there is a better chance of devs supporting variable video output or at least non rift/vive res.

the TH report suggests you wont be getting subpar hardware, whether you can get the benefits out of the 8k with your given app is the real gamble. if you have the money and arent risk averse then the kickstarter seems an ok price.