General VR discussion thread

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Intel needs to sell a USB 3 PCIE adapter and all these compatibility issues go away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
At first I thought I am prone to "VR sickness" as well, but TBH if someone says this I have a hard time to believe them.
I do NOT have any issues with most games, including roller coasters, flying etc....but the worst is artificial locomotion especially when a controller allows you to turn.

Really awful in games where you would not expect it, like Doom 3 BFG or Dreadhalls, there is not even a lot of motion but turning is really the worst.

But: Pretty much no such danger in flight sims or other cockpit games so I'd say you're pretty safe.

As for "not seeing all buttons", you will be amazed. You will BE INSIDE the cockpit and you can see and reach all buttons. You will in all likelihood want touch controllers as well because it's a stupid feeling to have buttons and switches right before your nose which you can't touch.

Even the most awesome 3 monitor etc. setup cannot deliver the experience VR will give you. Just try it out, I think sims are just made for VR.

Edit: "In reality", when you look at a spot you will notice that only a very small section is actually in focus and the rest in the periphery is not. The brain just fools us to provide us an illusion of a "clear wide view". And in VR it's pretty much the same. The somewhat limited FOV (IMHO) doesn't really matter and especially not in a cockpit. You would just look around in the cockpit to see the buttons you want to reach. A real pilot in a cockpit also wouldn't have everything in view.

Last edited:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Intel needs to sell a USB 3 PCIE adapter and all these compatibility issues go away.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's why you get a decent Asus board with Intel or Asmedia USB. My old Z87-Pro has no problems with USB3 whatsoever.
Don't get a board with some VIA etc. crap.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
How does it track your hands when in a cockpit if using a real cockpit with flight controls like a throttle, joystick etc? usually you would have to have some sort of motion stick in your hand correct? but if you are in a cockpit then you wont be using motion controllers. So I don't see how I would be able to use my hands in VR to manipulate in game controls.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
At first I thought I am prone to "VR sickness" as well, but TBH if someone says this I have a hard time to believe them.
I do NOT have any issues with most games, including roller coasters, flying etc....but the worst is artificial locomotion especially when a controller allows you to turn.

n/m misread that first sentence. Yea, most likely as long as you aren't doing barrell rolls you will be fine. I will say that Eve Valkarie makes me sicker than hell...unfortunately...because I love that game. I tend to be more prone to it than most, general joystick movement gets to me, as do self propelled things. Some worse than others.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
WN: I wish I could tell you more (don't have my Touch controllers yet), but I wouldn't see a reason why you could NOT use a flight-stick/throttle/joystick in addition with the controls. If you're in a "semi real" cockpit like I am seeing there with Prepar3d/FSX...there are plenty buttons to touch and it seems logical to me to do this with the controllers rather than with gaze control or KB/mouse. I can't see a reason why this shouldn't work.

OTOH...if you have one hand on a stick and another on a throttle...yes I can see this sortof being a problem.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
How does it track your hands when in a cockpit if using a real cockpit with flight controls like a throttle, joystick etc? usually you would have to have some sort of motion stick in your hand correct? but if you are in a cockpit then you wont be using motion controllers. So I don't see how I would be able to use my hands in VR to manipulate in game controls.

For most things, you would be using a gamepad or your flight sticks, not hand motion. If you read up in the thread a few pages you will see talk about Leap Motion, but there has to be support added for that to work and I think most don't/won't have it.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
So then in my case I would have difficulty not being able to see my controls when manipulating my cockpit.

Yeah I know all about the leap motion since I bought into it when they announced it but ultimately I cancelled my order before release. Honestly I would prefer to use all the fancy controls I invested in when building my cockpit. Leap motion doesn't seem like the way for me. For flight VR seems to be a no go. Racing cars might be easier but still having to see my controls to make adjustments could be a pain in the butt. VR is something that sounds awesome for my cockpit but in reality might not be realistic.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Is Eve Valkyrie a lot different than Elite Dangerous? Been playing the latter with a HOTAS and have not had any kind of vertigo whatsoever. Even doing barrel rolls or whatever.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
ED has only given me sickness while moving over extremely bumpy terrain in the buggy. All the bobbing up and down was a bit too much.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
EVE is still the one I am looking at, I am still hesitating because of the price. I played ED back in the beta but NEVER ever touched it again ever since they went retail. Don't know, EVE sounds better and more exciting to me. ED was basically just going back and forth hauling shit around with people on the forum complaining when someone shot their precious ships :) I also dislike their "pseudo multiplayer" implementation etc.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Got a few new games to play on Vive after mostly just playing Fruit Ninja and Brookhaven, and then taking a break because I've been sick (bronchitis, which sucks for anything where you have to move a lot). But I'm having a blast playing Holopoint and Lethal VR now. Holopoint is a decent workout and pretty challenging. The bow and arrow works better than you think it would using two controllers (in The Lab archery minigame, as well), though it took a little time - but not that long - to consistently nock an arrow and draw at first. Just started playing Lethal VR right now and it's fun, though I suck at the knife throwing. :D Love the MIB-style gun ranges.

Besides those games, I've been getting a lot of use out of Virtual Desktop, mostly for watching TV/movies in the virtual theater while on an exercise bike (plan on getting VirZoom, though). It's a low res virtual screen, but it still is a better experience somehow than just watching on a monitor.

I also bought Emily Wants To Play, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Serious Sam VR, Kismet, and Ultimate Booster Experience... going to have fun trying those out over weekend. I have another ~30 or so VR games (and VR "experiences", as some aren't truly full length or traditional games) on my wishlist. Plenty of VR content for me right now and more on the horizon with new games coming out next year.

I really want one of those. I can live with the wires right now, but they are a nuisance for any of the games that take advantage of room scale.

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
how does the rift work with glasses? I've read some reviews and people say it works but I wonder how well? Anyone here have experience with the latest gen rift and wear glasses? If so can you provide a little feedback?

I cannot test the rift before purchasing but I am very close to buying it today at bestbuy. the only consolation is if it doesn't work well with my glasses I should be able to return the rift but then again why waste my time. I read the measurements on which size glasses should work and mine fall within those measurements but I wonder how comfortable it may be....

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I haven't used the retail Rift with glasses, but it is tighter than the Vive in that area. The Vive also has an adjustment to move the lenses in further and give more room for eyewear. I've tried to use a Rift DK2 with glasses and it was uncomfortable. I have used them with my Vive and it was barely any difference in comfort than no glasses.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
In the end my wife was able to wear her thick glasses in both machines - but the mild improvement in comfort most feel with the rift wasn't there for her - she preferred the feel of the Vive.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I bought the rift and only one word comes to mind: awesome!

As of right now my glasses only make a slight difference to visual quality so I may not even have to wear them. I am totally impressed though. Sure PQ is nothing compared to my desktop monitor or nearly anything Ive seen HD but for what it is it is truly awesome. I wish I had the money to buy the vive now just to compare but good lord this is pretty dang cool.

I only felt a little motion sickness once I took it off but so far so good.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
If you didn't get touch, get touch. It's a whole other level.
When I picked up the rift yesterday at best buy they were sold out on the touch controllers. I bought them but won't be picking them up until this Friday when they arrive in store.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
From everything I've experienced first hand, read in forums, and seen in videos... HTC Vive is the best choice for immersive VR experience.

No brainer IMO.

Really excited to get into Vertigo as my next VR experience.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
@Attic
considering both do room scale I would have to say both are pretty even now, (Hive vs Rift). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
@Attic
considering both do room scale I would have to say both are pretty even now, (Hive vs Rift). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I think the Vive still has the upper ground (for the moment) thanks to Revive...play all the Vive games PLUS play all the Rift games.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I think the Vive still has the upper ground (for the moment) thanks to Revive...play all the Vive games PLUS play all the Rift games.
And the Oculus can play many of the vive titles as well now that it has the touch controllers. So I still stand by my statement. Either headset is a good buy. I could have bought the vive and I really had a hard time deciding on the two but ultimately my decision came down to comfort and size. The Rift IMO is just the sleeker and lighter unit. Other than that they both have nearly identical screens and both work great. I do like the speakers built into the Rift though. They don't look like much but boy do they sound great for what they are.

I think the motion controllers and room feel is what put the Vive above the Rift for so long but now? Not so much.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
And the Oculus can play many of the vive titles as well now that it has the touch controllers. So I still stand by my statement. Either headset is a good buy. I could have bought the vive and I really had a hard time deciding on the two but ultimately my decision came down to comfort and size. The Rift IMO is just the sleeker and lighter unit. Other than that they both have nearly identical screens and both work great. I do like the speakers built into the Rift though. They don't look like much but boy do they sound great for what they are.

I think the motion controllers and room feel is what put the Vive above the Rift for so long but now? Not so much.

In the future, I think the majority of the games will catch up on the Rift...no developer wants to miss out on doubling the accessibility of their game. What am I curious about is whether or not the ability to use more cameras will be a big game changer on the Rift...

Reactions: Dr. Zaus