General VR discussion thread

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Big community goal going on in Elite Dangerous, so I played some of that. Had to try out my new HOTAS with it, and I figured even if I'm not actively playing it much the easy money could be useful in the future.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Big community goal going on in Elite Dangerous, so I played some of that. Had to try out my new HOTAS with it, and I figured even if I'm not actively playing it much the easy money could be useful in the future.
Got my pedals today and plan to get into Elite and SC soon. What's the status on your NMS refund?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I had a blast playing QuiVR in multiplayer earlier today. Was up to like wave 36 before it was over. I couldn't wait for us to get defeated. My arm was about to fall off. Lol. The guys I was with was like "suck it up". We had a really good team going but after that huge battle everyone agreed it was time to take a break.

Also bought audio shield and that thing kills the arm. I like the fact that I can load my own music however i wish the algorithm was a bit faster and synced better with the notes/rhythm. Not worth $20 and should be priced at $5-10

Anybody get in any gaming this weekend?

Yeah, you'll build up arm strength in no time tho. The hard thing is past wave 50, or if you do a couple 25 + 25 sessions back to back, then you REALLY start feeling it. It's super fun when you get a good group of people! We should schedule an ATOT melee because they don't have support for friends lists or private servers yet.

In AudioShield, try doing some of their techno-remixed songs (the stock ones) & put it on Hard mode, you can get a pretty good workout there. Also if you have a sports store nearby & really want to get into it, get some wrist/ankle weights. I have the 3-pounders & it makes it challenging. I also use AudioShield with a training mask (although it's a bit uncomfortable because they overlap, plus it's pretty expensive for an accessory) and it has helped my breathing quite a bit.

It would be fun to make some sort of jazzercise game, especially one that got your feet moving too.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Got my pedals today and plan to get into Elite and SC soon. What's the status on your NMS refund?

Which pedals did you go with? I'm thinking about building a combination HOTAS/wheel setup with a racing seat.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Which pedals did you go with? I'm thinking about building a combination HOTAS/wheel setup with a racing seat.
CH Pro. God I wish I had the space to build a racing seat setup. :(

My dream setup would be a racing/flight seat setup. I'm thinking when I buy house number two next year it better have enough space to setup a proper game/rec room. Lol.

Plus the Vive can track beyond the play area if setup properly so the possibilities are endless in regards to room layout.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
CH Pro. I wish I had the space to build a racing seat setup. :(

My dream setup would be a racing/flight seat setup. I'm thinking when I buy house number two next year it better have enough space to setup a proper game/rec room. Lol.

Plus the Vive can track beyond the play area if setup properly so the possibilities are endless in regards to room layout.

My current place has a small basement that we use kind of as a storage area/guest bedroom. I'm thinking about converting the guest bed to a Murphy bed using one of those online memory-foam beds from Leesa or Casper. That would literally double the space in the room! I was looking into getting a heavy-duty metal frame system like this one:

http://www.commercialwallbedsystems.com/frames/commercial-murphy-bed-frames/

But a queen-sized is like, almost a grand (plus a pricey memory-foam bed!). I bought an ebook on how to make a Murphy bed using IKEA parts for $275 a couple years ago:

http://www.moddidaypeople.com/murphy_bed_wall_bed/why_moddi_murphy_bed.html

That would be pretty slick...and would give me usable space for Roomscale!!

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I love CH products. I use their fighter stick and pro throttle in my cockpit. Kinda plain to look at but solid performing kit that.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
If you have $20 in your budget, give Spellbound a try: (early access, one chapter available)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/463400/

In a nutshell:
  • You're basically a wizard wandering around the woods at night
  • You walk around by swinging your arms like you're running (no teleportation, yay!)
  • You can freaking CAST SPELLS!!! Kamehameha baby! First one is fireballs, whoohoo!
  • Quick game, but really cool to play
  • Has some Brookhaven-esqe moments with the undead coming to life (gotta flick that wrist to nuke 'em!)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I love CH products. I use their fighter stick and pro throttle in my cockpit. Kinda plain to look at but solid performing kit that.

I think I've used them with a yoke in a flight sim in the past. Do they apply to ED?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Does anyone have.....disorientation after using their headset for a time? For about an hour or so, I get this weird sensation in my eyes, like they are trying to relearn depth perception when looking at my monitor.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
If you have $20 in your budget, give Spellbound a try: (early access, one chapter available)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/463400/

In a nutshell:
  • You're basically a wizard wandering around the woods at night
  • You walk around by swinging your arms like you're running (no teleportation, yay!)
  • You can freaking CAST SPELLS!!! Kamehameha baby! First one is fireballs, whoohoo!
  • Quick game, but really cool to play
  • Has some Brookhaven-esqe moments with the undead coming to life (gotta flick that wrist to nuke 'em!)
How is the gameplay in this? Is it repetitive? I'm a little leery on this one. He's a solo dev so i'm not sure if this is a grab and go type situation.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Does anyone have.....disorientation after using their headset for a time? For about an hour or so, I get this weird sensation in my eyes, like they are trying to relearn depth perception when looking at my monitor.
no. but ever so often i get retinal burn in. where as if i blink my eyes i'll see the inside of the HMD burned into my view. LOL.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

You get used to it. That went away after a few weeks for me, especially as I've started cycling through games during my gaming/cardio sessions. I don't have any problems with being disoriented when I come back to the "real world" after taking off my headset for awhile.

I love the time aspect of VR too...I finally got my wife to play QuiVR & she was in it for well over an hour and thought she was in it for like 10 or 20 minutes, haha.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
How is the gameplay in this? Is it repetitive? I'm a little leery on this one. He's a solo dev so i'm not sure if this is a grab and go type situation.

I've talked to the dev on Reddit; he has big plans for the game. The Early Access gives you the prelude game, which is basically one map level. I believe that the $20 asking price includes both that & Chapter 1 of the game. I can't talk details, but there is some cool stuff in the pipeline for it. This is kind of like spending a money on Raw Data...if you're okay with paying a relatively high fee for just a level or two, especially to get a taste of a fairly unique VR experience, then it will be worth it to you. Otherwise, just wait for the full game (and a better trailer with updated gameplay). I like the method of locomotion (some people don't, and a few have gotten sick from it - I've had no issues myself), it's fun to throw spells like firewalls, and it has a good feeling of immersion. Check out this video for a better idea of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0kP7BWRFU

It's funny how my "mad money" spending has changed recently...I have a small allowance every month for goof-off stuff, which I usually use for random kitchen appliances, but lately it's just an endless stream of Steam receipts, hahaha.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My VR Lens finally shipped the other day, but they're also coming from Thailand. So, I probably won't get them for another 2.5 weeks. :(

I'll be getting my 1080 from EVGA this week, so I can move my 980 Ti to my VR PC. Once I do that and get the VR Lenses, I can finally get back to doing VR!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I spent some time in AltSpace last night messing around, and some of the games inside are interesting.

There's one called Monster Dungeon that is kind of a multiplayer Magic the Gathering card game (but nothing like it really). Still trying to learn the rules. Be fun to get a group together to play it...or any of the other social activities in it.

I spend some time in some persons room sword fighting which was kind of fun as well.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I've talked to the dev on Reddit; he has big plans for the game. The Early Access gives you the prelude game, which is basically one map level. I believe that the $20 asking price includes both that & Chapter 1 of the game. I can't talk details, but there is some cool stuff in the pipeline for it. This is kind of like spending a money on Raw Data...if you're okay with paying a relatively high fee for just a level or two, especially to get a taste of a fairly unique VR experience, then it will be worth it to you. Otherwise, just wait for the full game (and a better trailer with updated gameplay). I like the method of locomotion (some people don't, and a few have gotten sick from it - I've had no issues myself), it's fun to throw spells like firewalls, and it has a good feeling of immersion. Check out this video for a better idea of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0kP7BWRFU

It's funny how my "mad money" spending has changed recently...I have a small allowance every month for goof-off stuff, which I usually use for random kitchen appliances, but lately it's just an endless stream of Steam receipts, hahaha.

Ha ha. Yeah same here. I can't believe how much I spend on these games. I'm willing to give many of these a chance. In terms of kitchen stuff, I've noticed so much of it goes unused after a few weeks (omega juicer) but one thing gets used and that's the Anova immersion circulator. Thermapen is also one that gets used and also a cheap IR thermometer. Also one good Japanese knife is great to have, ends up getting used more than the German ones.

I looked at wall beds too and I think this scales better past twin: http://www.loriwallbeds.com/

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Ha ha. Yeah same here. I can't believe how much I spend on these games. I'm willing to give many of these a chance. In terms of kitchen stuff, I've noticed so much of it goes unused after a few weeks (omega juicer) but one thing gets used and that's the Anova immersion circulator. Thermapen is also one that gets used and also a cheap IR thermometer. Also one good Japanese knife is great to have, ends up getting used more than the German ones.

I looked at wall beds too and I think this scales better past twin: http://www.loriwallbeds.com/

Nice, thanks for the link!

Yeah, I've had my fair share of kitchen gadgets that didn't work out. I think I've pretty much streamlined things down to what I actually use. At some point, I'll update the appliance page on my wiki with links & an explanation of what I use & why. Although my collection is definitely overkill for most people, but I'm a gadget guy in general, so the kitchen is no exception haha.

On a tangent, after playing the cooking game in Job Simulator, I think it would actually be pretty cool to make a cooking training game in VR. Stuff like NVIDIA's Funhouse has shown us that physics can be accurately rendered, including liquids, and it would be a lot cheaper practicing a new recipe in VR than it would buying & burning ingredients lol.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Nice, thanks for the link!

Yeah, I've had my fair share of kitchen gadgets that didn't work out. I think I've pretty much streamlined things down to what I actually use. At some point, I'll update the appliance page on my wiki with links & an explanation of what I use & why. Although my collection is definitely overkill for most people, but I'm a gadget guy in general, so the kitchen is no exception haha.

On a tangent, after playing the cooking game in Job Simulator, I think it would actually be pretty cool to make a cooking training game in VR. Stuff like NVIDIA's Funhouse has shown us that physics can be accurately rendered, including liquids, and it would be a lot cheaper practicing a new recipe in VR than it would buying & burning ingredients lol.

That's a great idea. They would have to accurately render the texture of meats at different meat temperatures and eggs with different amounts of heat applied. Even just showing the difference between resting time and what happens if you don't rest the meat enough would be nice. I've seen some cooks not rest their meat properly.

I had a guy who was a "expert at grilling" take a couple of usda prime ribeyes and burn them to a crisp. Did not even deal with flare ups. Left the grill top closed and let it burn. I would give a lot to never watch that happen again. Anything to train people to move their meat to prevent flare ups. I can't get that sight out of my mind. It's already dead why murder it again?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That's a great idea. They would have to accurately render the texture of meats at different meat temperatures and eggs with different amounts of heat applied. Even just showing the difference between resting time and what happens if you don't rest the meat enough would be nice. I've seen some cooks not rest their meat properly.

I had a guy who was a "expert at grilling" take a couple of usda prime ribeyes and burn them to a crisp. Did not even deal with flare ups. Left the grill top closed and let it burn. I would give a lot to never watch that happen again. Anything to train people to move their meat to prevent flare ups. I can't get that sight out of my mind. It's already dead why murder it again?

Oh my gosh, hahahaha :D

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I was mucking about the Vive subreddit, and I stumbled across a post where someone was complaining about their VR Lenses. Obviously, since I'm sitting here waiting on mine, I took a peek at the thread to see what people had to say. Most people still seemed to like them, but I did see something that may interest some!

Apparently, someone created a 3D-printable lens holder that actually uses lenses that can be pulled from glasses purchased at Zenni. They're available on Thingiverse, and I found that 3D Hubs can actually pair you up with local printers to make it even easier! Given that the glasses off Zenni are very cheap (about $10 + shipping), the frames are only $30 printed at 50 micron ($19 at 100 micron), and the magnets are about $1.5 (+$6 shipping), it gets you a fairly affordable solution compared to VR Lens.

If you want lenses for your Vive, but you don't want to wait, this could be a good solution. To give you an idea of Zenni's speed, I ordered a pair of glasses from them on 8/26 and received them on 9/3.

I'm probably going to give it a try because it seems interesting, and I can say that I'm supporting local business. :p

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
So, I was mucking about the Vive subreddit, and I stumbled across a post where someone was complaining about their VR Lenses. Obviously, since I'm sitting here waiting on mine, I took a peek at the thread to see what people had to say. Most people still seemed to like them, but I did see something that may interest some!

Apparently, someone created a 3D-printable lens holder that actually uses lenses that can be pulled from glasses purchased at Zenni. They're available on Thingiverse, and I found that 3D Hubs can actually pair you up with local printers to make it even easier! Given that the glasses off Zenni are very cheap (about $10 + shipping), the frames are only $30 printed at 50 micron ($19 at 100 micron), and the magnets are about $1.5 (+$6 shipping), it gets you a fairly affordable solution compared to VR Lens.

If you want lenses for your Vive, but you don't want to wait, this could be a good solution. To give you an idea of Zenni's speed, I ordered a pair of glasses from them on 8/26 and received them on 9/3.

I'm probably going to give it a try because it seems interesting, and I can say that I'm supporting local business. :p

Wow, adding 3D Hubs to my bookmarks, nice!