general patreus resigns

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Gods wrath comes from God . I simply witness to mans evil. say a thing and wait for his judgement . I have no hand in it . I simply witness . God clearly wanted obama in office . My greatest fear realized .He is the one

obama-the-messiah.jpg

Keep it coming, this stuff is gold.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks I try hard but trying to compete with the other dems in here is hard , theres so much crazy in them

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
If he participated in any way in the Benghazi matter he should still testify in the hearings next week.

I don't see why the affair should have forced him to resign or why Obama accepted the resignation. If a President need not resign, then neither should one of his subordinates.

Fern

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
If he participated in any way in the Benghazi matter he should still testify in the hearings next week.

I don't see why the affair should have forced him to resign or why Obama accepted the resignation. If a President need not resign, then neither should one of his subordinates.

Fern

He was the CIA Chief, I sure as hell hope he had a grasp of the situation, not sure though what direct involvement he would have. This is great timing, now he won't have to testify. This is really a win win for the administration. :thumbsup:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008

Fern

except that no one but the defunct romney campaign cares about benghazi...

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
judge him? he took a vow and broke it. that's enough to judge him as a paice of shit. The guy May be great in his job (for that i am sad he resigned) i can still consider the guy a shithead.

Spare us. Everyone makes mistakes, and a bit of fooling around is hardly the moral equivalent of first degree murder that so many people make it out to be. While I was never a fan of the "worship General Patraeus" hysteria that seemed to grip the country he's still an honorable man who gave a lot in the service of his country. He isn't a saint.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The reason its an issue is, in positions like his and most in the CIA/NSA, character flaws/questions of morality & integrity can get you terminated. Doesn't look good to have someone leading the CIA who has issues.

Yup, potential for blackmail.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Spare us. Everyone makes mistakes, and a bit of fooling around is hardly the moral equivalent of first degree murder that so many people make it out to be. While I was never a fan of the "worship General Patraeus" hysteria that seemed to grip the country he's still an honorable man who gave a lot in the service of his country. He isn't a saint.

He's not a saint, but in the Intelligence community moral flaws like that and financial problems mean you don't get to belong to that community. It opens you to blackmail and potential to reveal secrets over it.

Maybe some of you are too young but you all need to look up and read up on the Cold War and how mistresses were used. Hell, look at WWII and the French resistance and how mistresses gathered information from the Nazis the whole time.

It's a serious threat to have someone in the Intelligence community, especially one that high up having affairs.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

Fern

It really depends on the nature of the affair.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Well.... On the up side he now has more free time to chase pussy....

\as for Benghazi, even if he's not still CIA head doesn't he have to appear if called to?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Good lord look at his wife and then that woman. This is exactly why you cannot as a married man put yourself into the position of ever "working closely" with a hot woman unless you're sure she'll never do anything no matter how faithful you think you'd be. It's just naive. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230697/David-Petraeus-resigns-head-CIA.html

Moonbeam pretends this is self-destruction and that simply nonsense. All it is is little pataeus started taking control of the situation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Good lord look at his wife and then that woman. This is exactly why you cannot as a married man put yourself into the position of ever "working closely" with a hot woman unless you're sure she'll never do anything no matter how faithful you think you'd be. It's just naive. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230697/David-Petraeus-resigns-head-CIA.html

Moonbeam pretends this is self-destruction and that simply nonsense. All it is is little pataeus started taking control of the situation.

Interesting. Sounds like you may have come close or done the same thing. It's always nice to flatter yourself that others are as morally weak as you. Perhaps you can't believe there are men out there who can't be corrupted no matter the temptation. There is one commodity worth more than anything else on the planet, and as Patreus just found out, it's self respect.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't understand why he should resign over an affair. I imagine Obama wanted him gone and accepted a resignation Patreus offered out of courtesy.

I'm under the same persuasion. Unless the affair was with a co-worker?

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

It was uncovered in an FBI investigation into his biographer allegedly and it was with her. Apparently she tried to hack his emails or something like that too.

See Doppel's post above.

Last edited:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Actually I read an article where it made a bit more sense, him being the chief of intelligence. You can't put yourself in a position to be blackmailed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Whackadoodles coming out of the woodwork. How quaint, how utterly predictable.

One of the unfortunate things that happens in marriage is that women take fidelity for granted, fail to protect their turf & their partner from outside influences. Any man who isn't getting laid is vulnerable, moralizing aside.

Just the way it is. Power is a strong attractant, as well, so powerful men are even more vulnerable to those outside influences, because there will be more of them.

Best of luck to citizen Petraeus.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005

His wife looks like she could be Michael Moore's sister

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The Daily show interview, maybe only in retrospect, comes off a bit like an interrogation the way she answers the questions. Like she makes sure to add things to kill any suggestions of an affair.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Whackadoodles coming out of the woodwork. How quaint, how utterly predictable.

One of the unfortunate things that happens in marriage is that women take fidelity for granted, fail to protect their turf & their partner from outside influences. Any man who isn't getting laid is vulnerable, moralizing aside.

Just the way it is. Power is a strong attractant, as well, so powerful men are even more vulnerable to those outside influences, because there will be more of them.

Best of luck to citizen Petraeus.

Hehe, the theory that the frequency of succumbing to temptation is proportional to frequency of exposure. I guess Jesus got lucky. Nobody gets it, I guess, that the only thing of value you have is self respect. It seems that nobody gets it because nobody gots it. Temptation corrupts those who can be tempted and nobody else. One is tempted to satisfy need. When your self respect is real you don't need anything.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hehe, the theory that the frequency of succumbing to temptation is proportional to frequency of exposure. I guess Jesus got lucky.

Jesus was divine, according to some- the rest of us are mortal.

You figure he never got laid, remained celibate his whole life? Maybe he was gay?

That's not really what I offered, anyway. Married people need to be sure to protect their partners from temptation as best they can- it's all too often an under-appreciated part of the bargain. People who get what they need at home are less likely to stumble across it somewhere else...