general patreus resigns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
OMG he had an affair while married?
Correct me if I am wrong but don't almost 50 percent of men do that?

Grow up America. Its between him and his wife.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Great, can we rescind the god-awful COIN manual he forced on us now?

Golden boy, no more.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I had been reading he was unhappy because he didn't like the job and that he was probably going to resign if Obama was reelected.
I wonder if that was a cover for what was going on.

You and every repulsive in DC

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
'Adultery in the military is actually prosecuted under Article 134, which is also known as the "General Article." Article 134 simply prohibits conduct which is of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, or conduct which is prejudicial to good order and discipline.'

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/adultery.htm

He should have known better.

He did know better, better than probably few others in the world. This is why there can be no other explanation than an unconscious need for self destruction. It is only the communal pact to deny this otherwise ineluctable logical fact that keeps this from being patently obvious. If a man of tremendous personal accomplishment and personal honor with such universal acclaim from all sides could hate himself, where does that leave a schmuck like me? Trust me the terrors you repress in your unconscious are far far greater and more of our personal concern that admitting to knowledge that could have if widely known, saved this great man. And this is exactly the same threat that can bring about human extinction. We even have it visibly expressed in science fiction films like Forbidden Planet. The truth is right there in front of our noses, invisible, but staring us in the face.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
He did know better, better than probably few others in the world. This is why there can be no other explanation than an unconscious need for self destruction. It is only the communal pact to deny this otherwise ineluctable logical fact that keeps this from being patently obvious. If a man of tremendous personal accomplishment and personal honor with such universal acclaim from all sides could hate himself, where does that leave a schmuck like me? Trust me the terrors you repress in your unconscious are far far greater and more of our personal concern that admitting to knowledge that could have if widely known, saved this great man. And this is exactly the same threat that can bring about human extinction. We even have it visibly expressed in science fiction films like Forbidden Planet. The truth is right there in front of our noses, invisible, but staring us in the face.

You sir are going to get a lesson in self destruction

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't understand why he should resign over an affair. I imagine Obama wanted him gone and accepted a resignation Patreus offered out of courtesy.

You don't understand?? The head of the CIA?? You have that much Obama hate it disengages that part of your brain???

Remember all the hoopla over the Secret Service and the hookers.

How about compromising national security.

UNBELIEVABLE!

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The reason its an issue is, in positions like his and most in the CIA/NSA, character flaws/questions of morality & integrity can get you terminated. Doesn't look good to have someone leading the CIA who has issues.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's a damn shame, he's not the first person to make this type of failure and pay a high price for it along with his wife and family. Best of luck to the guy and hoping everything works out.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya i like how they say he won't be testifing . NOT likely they will make him testify

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You sir are going to get a lesson in self destruction

Did that long ago. I no longer think I am the wrath of God. Unlike you, I don't need to feel important to hide from myself my own pain. It makes me sad though, that you incoherently condemn the human race to damnation as if you actually knew something. But like the General, you have a need to make an ass of yourself. There is only love.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
In the military, adultery is a crime so it's not a purely personal matter until that changes.

He's no longer in the military.

Adultery is also looked down upon in the CIA, though, as they are always worried about their members being "compromised" by those they cheat with.

It really is a shame though. The CIA and military intelligence have a long history of not getting along, and he apparently navigated that better than anyone else in a long time.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
He's no longer in the military.

Adultery is also looked down upon in the CIA, though, as they are always worried about their members being "compromised" by those they cheat with.

It really is a shame though. The CIA and military intelligence have a long history of not getting along, and he apparently navigated that better than anyone else in a long time.

Yea, you're right; I wasn't paying enough attention. Assumed he would have had a different title in his current position if he wasn't in.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Did that long ago. I no longer think I am the wrath of God. Unlike you, I don't need to feel important to hide from myself my own pain. It makes me sad though, that you incoherently condemn the human race to damnation as if you actually knew something. But like the General, you have a need to make an ass of yourself. There is only love.

Gods wrath comes from God . I simply witness to mans evil. say a thing and wait for his judgement . I have no hand in it . I simply witness . God clearly wanted obama in office . My greatest fear realized .He is the one

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
This is easy...

Obama regime tried blaming Benghazi violence on YouTube videos and intel people.

Everyone knew that was a lie since multiple sources in the know called BS - including Libyan prez.

After Pancetta blames intel people for refusing aid to consulate the CIA issues an official statement (meaning ok with Petraeus ) saying don't blame us we had nothing to do with it.

Then official emails start leaking just before election and showing Stevens was caking his pants for weeks over terrorists and that Slim Shady's regime did bupkis.

Then voilà - two days after slim wins re-election due to poor GOP turnout Petraeus is suddenly resigning over an affair (no doubt the regime had done its homework on a guy it feared running against at one time).