General Audio Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Howard
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/interconnects/DIYSpeakerCablesp1.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-113

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-145

You don't need anything else when it comes to speaker cable, although you might want to use connectors like banana plugs if you're worried about corrosion.

oof, speakers are confusing - I really need to take Physics; i don't understand electricity at all!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
You shoot some electrons through some wire and they do things for you. They like wire.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
anyone know anything about headphone amps? I've been wondering how they can improve the quality of some headphones, like HD280 Pros. I've been dabbling in the topic of DIY amps, but there's so many tutorials and builds that I'm not sure which one would be best for me. I run my music from a Creative Zen Sleek, using Grado SR-60s and soon, Altec-Lansing iM716s.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
You want to make your own?

my own headphone amp, yes. I dont have any knowledge of electricity yet but I'm taking AP Physics this year so i'll learn some stuff there. I'm not in a hurry or anything, though.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: guoziming
You want to make your own?

my own headphone amp, yes. I dont have any knowledge of electricity yet but I'm taking AP Physics this year so i'll learn some stuff there. I'm not in a hurry or anything, though.
Go over to the forums at headfi.org-there are all sorts of plans, helpful people, etc. there. You can also find a hobbyist who will build you an amp pretty cheaply if you are clumsy with a soldering iron like me.

Pretty good faq, I would add a couple of things:

-a note to check out headphone models personally if at all possible, as comfort varies greatly. I'm extremely happy with using my Senn 600's at the computer, but I wouldn't want to try to go jogging with them.

-a warning that going to headfi.org could be hazardous to your financial health if you get sucked into the headphone hobby

-an alternate I think gives far more audio bang for the buck (quality especially, but also volume) is to buy a cheap receiver and a decent set of speakers, rather than go with powered speakers. It's more flexible and better quality, but will probably take more space.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Thump553
-a warning that going to headfi.org could be hazardous to your financial health if you get sucked into the headphone hobby

that's the main reason I've stayed away from head-fi. A friend of mine got sucked in and spent $300 on his two phones. He's also considering more.

... now that i think about it, i've spent a lot on headphones too. SR60s, KSC75s, HD201s, and iM716s... total around $180...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Great thread! More info on soundcards is needed, but I'm probably not in a position to provide much.

On the M-Audio Revolution 7.1: I had no complaints with regards to its quality in use with Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, but M-Audio's driver "support" is disgustingly horrible. Their current beta driver for Windows XP x64, untouched for almost a year now, causes BSODs on startup and is generally a PITA to deal with.

I would love to hear any XP x64 soundcard success stories, as I'm itching to get off this substandard integrated audio that sucks even for listening to music in 2.1 stereo.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Well you can't blame M-Audio. Beta drivers are at your own risk and indicate they do not support 64 bit XP. They support regular Windows XP and Apple for all of their computer products I believe.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: CSMR
Well you can't blame M-Audio. Beta drivers are at your own risk and indicate they do not support 64 bit XP. They support regular Windows XP and Apple for all of their computer products I believe.
Excuse me? That the beta drivers are of alpha quality could be accepted, given varying definitions of "beta," but M-Audio refuses to do anything about improving x64 drivers, and has halted development (they themselves said essentially that), leaving users who bought their cards due to the promise of working x64 drivers royally screwed. So yes, they most certainly do fall short with regard to offering working support for increasingly popular modern operating systems. And thus, I can and do blame them for that.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Honestly, soundcard drivers generally seem to be complete crap. If anyone knows of reasonably priced soundcard (under $150) that can offer bit-perfect optical output and also has good driver support, please chime in.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Honestly, soundcard drivers generally seem to be complete crap. If anyone knows of reasonably priced soundcard (under $150) that can offer bit-perfect optical output and also has good driver support, please chime in.
The E-MU 0404 is an excellently priced soundcard which offers bit perfect digital out through ASIO. The latest version of E-MU drivers works very well. Even the M-Audio Transit can do bit perfect output I believe. No driver issues here either.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
The E-MU 0404 is an excellently priced soundcard which offers bit perfect digital out through ASIO. The latest version of E-MU drivers works very well. Even the M-Audio Transit can do bit perfect output I believe. No driver issues here either.

It doesn't pass through AC3/Dolby Digital does it?

avi85

Apr 24, 2006
YOyoYOhowsDAjello, thanks for this great thread.
There is one thing you don't touch on and that is signal to noise ratio, This spec is listed on speakers and sound cards and I was really wondering what it is.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Another section missed out on is IEMs for headphones. I might do a small write-up on these, if I have time, but I'm gonna need someone to provide more indepth and/or personal experience details.

Ghouler

Sep 9, 2005

It doesn't pass through AC3/Dolby Digital does it?

It does. With drivers version 1.82

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Anyone feel bored enough for a few hours to add soundcards to this thread ??? I'm eyeing up an Audigy 4 at Circuit City currently, just because I have a gift card to burn up. It appears the Audigy 2 series cards are not very different than the 4 series, but there are plenty of questions that could be answered by adding soundcards to the OP.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: WT
Anyone feel bored enough for a few hours to add soundcards to this thread ??? I'm eyeing up an Audigy 4 at Circuit City currently, just because I have a gift card to burn up. It appears the Audigy 2 series cards are not very different than the 4 series, but there are plenty of questions that could be answered by adding soundcards to the OP.

I remember reading a review of the A4 series a long time ago, and IIRC, the A4 used the same chip as the A2. Performance was next-to-identical, also IIRC.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I've posted a few times. I'm just kind of done doing this sort of thing.

Occationally I'll respond to someone with a PM, but I was spending too much time here.

If anyone wants to take over this thread or post some new information, I'll put it into the OP.

(This includes if anyone wants to do a decent job organizing what I wrote) :)