GeForce Titan coming end of February

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by Rikard, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

You're right I do not *need* to upgrade every 12-18 months and while a steam PC might be mid range compared to high end gamers PC's, it would allow developers to have a target system in which to fine tune for and actually leverage / squeeze more performance out of the components instead of building sloppy ports and relying on hardware exponentially more powerful to push through the poor coding.

#826 tviceman, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. 2is

2is Diamond Member

I doubt a steam box is going to change development in any significant way unless it becomes as profitable as consoles.

3. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

If the PC market as-is keeps shrinking, then Valve's only hope to continue to exist as a publisher is to make the steam box successful. I doubt Valve is going to half ass it's release, support, and feature set. There is a reason steam is the biggest digital game distributor in the world.

4. RussianSensation

RussianSensation Elite Member

The less you visit PC gaming forums, the less you'll be pressured to keep up with upgrades. If GTX570 had 2GB of VRAM, with a minor OC it would still give very good performance in most games with some settings turned down. :p

The desktop PC market isn't doing well, but discrete gaming GPU sales are growing, not shrinking. People tend to correlate "Desktop PC growth" with "Gaming PC growth", but they are different. Valve already has 50 million users and growing.

#829 RussianSensation, Feb 11, 2013
  5. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

I think PC gaming is alright for the time being, but the path for many in the past was starting with a desktop PC from someone like dell or HP - and when they developed an interest in gaming, they bought a discrete card.

I've turned a lot of friends onto PC gaming this way -- sadly most users now don't buy a desktop PC as their first computing device. So eventually that ripple effect which would before generate PC gaming and discrete card sales, isn't as significant now. In many ways it's worse now, since some users start with a mac (horrible for games obviously) or an ultrabook (just as horrible for games with HD4000). That's how it is in the US anyway, not sure if the european or Chinese market is different.

edit: I just fully read your link about growing discrete graphics shipments, I have to say that i'm rather surprised that discrete is actually growing but nonetheless -- That is great news IMO. PC gaming has always been my thing, and hopefully that remains the case for years to come.

#830 blackened23, Feb 11, 2013
  6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy Senior member

I'm on a 22" 1680/1050 with a GTX570 at 800MHz and it rocks any game out there. It was around $300 in 2011. I was expecting to buy by now at the same price a card that would be 80% faster. Well, it seems that card will arrive... at $900. On the other hand the most widespread GPU on steam survey is by far Intel HD3000. That says a lot.

7. BallaTheFeared

BallaTheFeared Diamond Member

Know what it says to me? Intel only has one gpu worth using ATM! Or it could simply be steam reading it off z68 boards.

Represented clearly by their 13.32% market share according to steam, despite the most glorified gaming cpu in recent memory having it built in :p

#832 BallaTheFeared, Feb 11, 2013
  8. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

I have argued the same thing myself but the writing is on the wall and there are significant hints almost daily that discrete add-in cards are going to be a difficult sell in a four-five years. Everything consumer, whether we like it or not, want to admit to it or not, is going integrated. It happened (for 90-95% of all consumer situations) with sound cards. I fully know and realize that integrated sound isn't comparable to integrated video because there is just sooooo much more that goes on with and around video output / quality / consistency and scalability, but eventually discrete graphics will be only for the highest end gamers with ultra high resolution multiple monitor setups. It is inevitable.

To this end, Valve is not sitting idle and waiting for the market to decide it's fate 4-5 years from now. Gabe and the rest of Valve knows that they need their own ecosystem, their own little "walled garden" built big enough and with enough features to not seem closed like iTunes or Windows.

9. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Only if you don't understand that these things don't just happen by themselves. There has to be a suitable replacement, and in regards to PC gaming, that's one of the few things that there won't be a suitable replacement for for the forseeable future.

The only individuals buying these cards are gamers (overwhelming majority anyway), and there's no way to get the same experience in a smaller form factor.

The people leaving the desktop (or pc) are the ones whose needs are filled just fine by other devices. These people, by definition, aren't high end PC gamers.

You're making the common mistake of generalizing without understanding that your generalization isn't valid.

10. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

#835 tviceman, Feb 11, 2013
  11. BoFox

BoFox Senior member

Awwwwww........ so sweet!

12. BoFox

BoFox Senior member

Wow, awesome post!

13. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

Any word on if there will be product availability on launch date?

14. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

The PC gaming crowd is older than the console / mobile crowd. Young people growing up don't have the same exposure to desktop PC gaming as 30-40 year olds did growing up. Next gen consoles are right around the corner. Mobile gaming is overtaking everything in terms of sales. My "generalization" IS valid. There are more and more indicators everyday that "good enough" eventually replaces "super awesome." It happened with sound cards to integrated sound, it happened with cameras to camera phones, it happened with network cards to integrated controllers on the motherboard, it happened with music tapes to CD's, it will happen eventually to video cards. Discrete cards will continue to exist, but custom desktop machines will slowly, slowly become more and more of a niche and video cards will follow.

15. BallaTheFeared

I don't know tviceman, most of the products you mentioned were simple task products that had a easily obtained "performance" criteria.

Graphics should obviously continue to improve, and resolutions should continue to increase. Both of which are factors that none of the products you listed had driving them. Audio only needs to be so good before most people can't tell or simply don't care about the difference, camera phones filled a role normal cameras couldn't, but even those are increased each year in quality and MP. Network cards were never really an ultra performance issue, fitting them on a mobo just makes sense the need for faster and faster networking doesn't exist in the consumer market.

I wouldn't rule out future graphics cards, at least not yet!

16. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Things don't get replaced with smaller items until the problem is effectively "solved" in the largest form factor.

Graphics are still very limited.

Audio? Sure
    Web browsing? Sure.
    Email? Sure
    Word processing? Sure.

Graphics? Hell no.

17. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Will this card come F2P bonus'es?

Maybe some TF2 hats?

18. BallaTheFeared

Yes :awe:

19. thilanliyan

thilanliyan Diamond Member

Nah, I'm sure they will sell every single one they make.

20. RussianSensation

:thumbsup: That's a good card. I wouldn't upgrade your GPU before you upgrade the monitor.

Should be soon. I think it will happen before February 20th which coincides nicely with Crysis 3's launch and rains on PS4's possible announcement. Not sure how hard it'll be to get 4 for SLI at launch though. If you are mentally prepared for $899 x 4 and they launch at a lower price, you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

#845 RussianSensation, Feb 11, 2013
  21. SolMiester

SolMiester Diamond Member

22. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

A single 7950 oced is 60-80% faster than an oced 570 in modern titles. And you can have it around the $300 mark. Titan is not required to beat 2 570s. A single 7970 ghz oc handily provides a better experience for less cost.

23. RussianSensation

Will Titan play Crysis 4?

[​IMG]

24. f1sherman

f1sherman Platinum Member

I'm a bit surprised it took you so long to come up with THAT screenshot.
    Yeah we all know Crysis has nice looking vegies if you very careful when modding and taking screenie.
    I bet my wife's behind when she's 60 will look nice from certain angles.

It's still a 6 years old game with the look and feel of 6 years old game.
    And if Crysis indeed looked like that, we would have remembered it, instead of you passing shocking pics.
    Nice try though.

25. SirPauly

SirPauly Diamond Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.