GeForce GTX 1180, 1170 and 1160 coming in August. Prices inside

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Article is clear that it's a single GPU.

The previous quote you quoted, was talking about 100fps/ultra/4k. That quote was about dual cards, right?

Also as sze5003 says, isn't the 1080ti a decent 4k card already?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The previous quote you quoted, was talking about 100fps/ultra/4k. That quote was about dual cards, right?

Also as sze5003 says, isn't the 1080ti a decent 4k card already?
I emailed the author about the 100fps...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I emailed the author about the 100fps...
Hopefully he gets back to you. I wish they would just post the benchmarks so we can look and decide ourselves instead of releasing these clickbait articles with very little info.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Hopefully he gets back to you. I wish they would just post the benchmarks so we can look and decide ourselves instead of releasing these clickbait articles with very little info.
They're all under NDAs they all had to sign a few weeks back. All they can do is clickbait articles at the moment.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Is hope the same as expect?

Don't get me wrong. We are all HOPING that we will see 2X performance. Heck I hope it would be 3X.

Ask yourself this. If that was the case, wouldn't Jensen had stormed on that stage, guns blazing and holding a 2X flag on his hand?

Sure it might be 9X in ray tracing. Is that something we can really benefit however, in the near future? That is before 7nm comes out? And especially with these prices, justified or not?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Also why do we have two threads for the same thing? Mods? Merge, move, close, whatever please.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Just to answer the question about English - it is entirely ambiguous whether it means multiple cards *here* or ‘cards’ in the sense of the overall population of 2080ti cards that will be eventually produced.

Wait for proper benchmarks anyway.

Reactions: psolord and sze5003

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Don't get me wrong. We are all HOPING that we will see 2X performance. Heck I hope it would be 3X.

Ask yourself this. If that was the case, wouldn't Jensen had stormed on that stage, guns blazing and holding a 2X flag on his hand?

Sure it might be 9X in ray tracing. Is that something we can really benefit however, in the near future? That is before 7nm comes out? And especially with these prices, justified or not?
Yea I agree if it was anything mind blowing like 100fps on 4k high settings on one card, they would have showed benches at the presentation. They didn't show them for a reason, meaning it isn't really that much better.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Just to answer the question about English - it is entirely ambiguous whether it means multiple cards *here* or ‘cards’ in the sense of the overall population of 2080ti cards that will be eventually produced.

Wait for proper benchmarks anyway.

Context removes ambiguity:

FOR
  • High fps 4K gaming on one card
  • Leads ray tracing revolution for computer graphics
  • USB-C connectivity
It's pretty obvious they are talking about one card performance when you read the whole thing, instead of picking apart one sentence.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Context removes ambiguity:

FOR
  • High fps 4K gaming on one card
  • Leads ray tracing revolution for computer graphics
  • USB-C connectivity
It's pretty obvious they are talking about one card performance when you read the whole thing, instead of picking apart one sentence.
But then towards the bottom where they mention 100fps on 4k they use the word GPUs and show a pic of two 2080ti's with nvlink.

Also high fps is subjective to what high actually could mean. As in 5-10 fps over 60 at 4k? Or actually closer to 100?

A nice graph could have answered all these. But I guess we wait for nda to lift.

Edit: I guess they could mean single gpu. Notice how they said tomb raider ran on one gpu and got 57 fps with rtx on. My guess is fps will be much more with rtx off.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

I have asked that before. Why not talk about 100fps today if the card can do it?

I think NV wants to push RT and that was the focus of the presentation.

If they spoke about 100fps today, people wouldn't even pay attention to ray tracing.

Ray tracing would be an afterthought.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
They could have presented both. They could have said something. Look what they did now. Ray tracing still seems like an afterthought compared to how everyone keeps asking to where is the performance data.

Status
Not open for further replies.