Geforce Experience Overlay disabled?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
This happens to me about 3 times a year, where I must reinstall Windows from scratch to get Geforce Experience's overlay to even work.

I tried uninstalling everything + DDU, downgrading Geforce Experience, reinstalling all Microsoft redistributables...

I am sick of this problem occuring. I like being able to use the in game overlay AND Gamestream. With the overlay disabled, Gamestream no longer works which means I cannot stream games to my devices.

So right now, Alt-Z does nothing even on desktop, and clicking to enable In-Game Overlay gives me a message: "That didn't work. Try restarting your system."

I could live without in game recording, but getting Gamestream working is priority.

Any ideas? I have been putting off reinstalling Windows for a few months, and would love to be able to stream again. There are tons of these threads on Nvidia's forum, but none of the fixes work.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Any interesting errors/warnings in the event log at the time of the errors or in general?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Fixed! I tried each version of Geforce Experience until one worked. Here it is:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.1.0.52/GeForce_Experience_v3.1.0.52.exe

Didn't even have to reboot, it just works.

I can upload it to a mirror if this goes down. This software is a nightmare, but Geforce Experience is the ONLY low latency game stream service for Android. It feels so buttery smooth, it makes Steam in home streaming feel unusable.

edit: Mirror - http://www.mediafire.com/file/bpj5smjttjaxp4c/GeForce_Experience_v3.1.0.52.exe

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Make sure to run:
netsh winsock reset
in an elevated Command Prompt after downgrading as well.

The final issue I am now having is disabling auto update. I could disable auto update via the Windows Hosts file, but this would disable Gamestream and the in game overlay (Thanks Nvidia!)....

After every reboot, GFE will auto update to 3.1.0.91 or something like that. This instantly breaks Gamestream and the in game overlay allowing recording, Shadowplay, etc. Amazing!

I am unsure on how to fix this. Uninstalling GFE will allow me to downgrade again, but doing so makes me have to log in and set everything back up from scratch. If I block the update service, it will not allow me to start GFE at all. This software is a nightmare to me.

How do I stop auto update for GFE 3.0+ while retaining its features? Short term solution is to never reboot, or uninstall GFE every time I need to use it.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
No idea I'm afraid; GFE is the kind of app I'd do my best to do without.

It makes me so sad that Nvidia offers the only low latency streaming service. Steam has a pretty good alternative, but not for ARM... Gamestream is so good, that I will be forced to use GFE for a long time....
I have been in a lengthy support chat with Nvidia. I am trying to help fix this issue as it is hurting many users on Geforce forums.

GFE is the worst software I have ever dealt with for a paid product. It is mind blowingly terrible and I cannot fathom how it just continues to get worse. GameStream is horribly complex! But I need to remember these numbers: 3.1.0.52 - This is the only version of GFE that properly works. No other version works. I'm sure many are having a great time using the latest version, but I cannot. Hope other poor souls with my issue (there are a lot, even from this month!) will find a better fix.