Geforce 304.48 Beta drivers up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Yeah, I'm still getting it too, although it doesn't seem quite as bad. You never know with D3 though--it seems to play fine for a few minutes, then it turns into a stutterfest for no apparent reason.
Me think's that most of the time "New" nvidia drivers are more or less a Placebo and nothing more there are exceptions of course but more often than not I am suggesting a placebo effect.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
no, the checkmark is grayed out and you can not select it.

I'm using 3.02 on a 690 and I still have the framerate counter....does a "clean" reinstallation of precision x fix it?

Anyway, this driver:

Much improved phsyx performance in Batman: AC. With Physx high (which I used previously) framerates are easily 20-25 fps higher.
Witcher 2 is supposed to be improved in the patch notes, but I get stuttering and worse GPU utilization in SLI with this driver. FPS down a bit everywhere
Framerate hitching still there, unless you select "prefer maximum performance" instead of "adaptive" in the CP. Changing this setting fixes the vsync stutter in most games that i've tested
Diablo 3 still has slight hitching, but max performance seemed to help greatly
Shogun 2 has greatly improved performance
WoW hitching is gone now (it was REALLY bad before -- it would dip to 40 fps in some areas for no apparent reason, but the game is 200 fps with vsync off in the same spot..lol...anyway its fixed.)
The issue that I mention above for WoW, diablo 3 still had it last I tested. Which doesn't make sense because performance is as expected with vsync off, but weird drops below 60 with it on.
BF3 seems about the same, I don't keep my eye glued to the FPS counter when i'm blasting people though.
Crysis 2 about the same.
Bulletstorm seems slightly worse, I could be crazy though...I don't keep a hawkeye on the fps counter when i'm playing..

Thats all I tested so far....oh...3dmark G score was slightly higher. I'll wait until wednesday before posting it though :)

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Diablo 3 is a pretty fail of a game, but I always was saying it could use MSAA rather than the in game post-AA they shipped it with.

Pretty nice that they would add that feature in such a popular game. Wonder what the performance hit is like. It's pretty hefty in SC2 just using 4xMSAA. Likely less in D3 without all the little units running around.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Diablo 3 is a pretty fail of a game, but I always was saying it could use MSAA rather than the in game post-AA they shipped it with.

Pretty nice that they would add that feature in such a popular game. Wonder what the performance hit is like. It's pretty hefty in SC2 just using 4xMSAA. Likely less in D3 without all the little units running around.

I've been disappointed as well, although I'm trying to convince myself that it's redeemable with some game mechanic and item system tweaks. However, the fact that the biggest computer game company on earth can't get this game to perform decently on cutting edge hardware is an even bigger disappointment. I could forgive some of the repetitiveness of the gameplay and the retarded story if the game ran as fluidly as it should.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I've been disappointed as well, although I'm trying to convince myself that it's redeemable with some gameplay and item system tweaks. However, the fact that the biggest computer game company on earth can't get this game to perform decently on cutting edge hardware is an even bigger disappointment. I could forgive some of the repetitiveness if it ran as fluidly as it should.

The game of the year edition with 1 more act will have more performance optimizations. 59.99$ pre-order today!

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
these did not fix ANYTHING for me. it does not matter whether I use vsync, adaptive vsync, or a framerate cap because it still will NOT stay at 60fps. even standing still it continuously drops to 59 every few seconds in every game just like it did before. this did not happen on my gtx570.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
these did not fix ANYTHING for me. it does not matter whether I use vsync, adaptive vsync, or a framerate cap because it still will NOT stay at 60fps. even standing still it continuously drops to 59 every few seconds in every game just like it did before. this did not happen on my gtx570.

Just cause it drops doesn't mean the actual issue wasn't fixed. It can drop to 59 or 58 but if it drops and becomes jittery then it's not fixed. Do you experience that? The problem wasn't the FPS drop it was the fact that when it did drop it wasn't smooth anymore and 1 or 2 fps shouldn't feel like it went to 20fps.

What game are you playing? I've been playing Skyrim and it doesn't get to 60fps with all the mods I have installed.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011

Same exact thing happens to me,sli enabled or disabled,as i feel no performance lost at all,i have learned to ignore it,but yeah if your eyeballing fraps,then its a test of psychological torture.....:|

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Just cause it drops doesn't mean the actual issue wasn't fixed. It can drop to 59 or 58 but if it drops and becomes jittery then it's not fixed. Do you experience that? The problem wasn't the FPS drop it was the fact that when it did drop it wasn't smooth anymore and 1 or 2 fps shouldn't feel like it went to 20fps.

What game are you playing? I've been playing Skyrim and it doesn't get to 60fps with all the mods I have installed.

you cant avoid jitters though if its dropping below 60 fps ever few seconds with vsync on. I paid 420 bucks and I am not going to put up with the framerate dropping every few seconds... that makes running vsync smoothly impossible.

I have already contacted newegg and they are giving me a full refund and they are even paying for the shipping because of this issue with the 680/670 cards.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
you cant avoid jitters though if its dropping below 60 fps ever few seconds with vsync on. I paid 420 bucks and I am not going to put up with the framerate dropping every few seconds... that makes running vsync smoothly impossible.

I have already contacted newegg and they are giving me a full refund and they are even paying for the shipping because of this issue with the 680/670 cards.

I'm pretty tempted to return mine at this point too. Glad to hear that Newegg is willing to go the extra mile here--that's where I got my card as well. I just posted about 2D performance issues that I'm experiencing with this card. I'm a little worried that I'm getting close to my 30-day refund window (invoice date was May 25th).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

*shrug* you can cause I'm running the same card with no stuttering. No idea what you're experiencing. Staring at the fps meter is in your head perhaps.

I'm afraid I can't relate to your experience.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
*shrug* you can cause I'm running the same card with no stuttering. No idea what you're experiencing. Staring at the fps meter is in your head perhaps.

I'm afraid I can't relate to your experience.
well there is NO way you can have continuous drops below 60 fps and NOT have some side effects with vsync on though. the card is more than strong enough to stay well above 60fps in the games I am playing so this is inexcusable. I am not going to pay 420 bucks for a gaming experience worse than my gtx570.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Dunno man, I just tried running Crysis 1 and Batman AC with physx off and vsync on in both games. I saw the fps dip to 59 but the gameplay did not change. I simply cannot relate to what you're saying.

Adaptive Vsync did the same thing as regular vsync to me, but I will tell you...I run D3Doverrider (whether it works or not I leave it on) forcing triple buffering. Does that make a difference? I dunno.

The one thing that bugs me when I switch between vsync on and off is not stuttering (since I cannot seem to notice any), but the input lag. Adaptive vsync and triple buffering sorta helps I hear but it's still there.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Dunno man, I just tried running Crysis 1 and Batman AC with physx off and vsync on in both games. I saw the fps dip to 59 but the gameplay did not change. I simply cannot relate to what you're saying.

Adaptive Vsync did the same thing as regular vsync to me, but I will tell you...I run D3Doverrider (whether it works or not I leave it on) forcing triple buffering. Does that make a difference? I dunno.

The one thing that bugs me when I switch between vsync on and off is not stuttering (since I cannot seem to notice any), but the input lag. Adaptive vsync and triple buffering sorta helps I hear but it's still there.
what resolution are you running because Crysis 1 only runs at 50fps with vsync anyway in DX10 at 1920x1080?

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

Toyota I don't know what to tell you. I just tested out several games with my (temporary) evga gtx 670 FTW, and I am not experiencing any vsync issues at all with these drivers. Hard Rest, Civ 4, Civ V, Batman AC.... none of them gave me issues.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The forums are all messed up tonight. EDIT: Toyota, my monitor shows it's refresh rate at 59hz. With the same video card as you, and the latest drivers, I am not experiencing any stuttering issues with vsync on or off in several games I have tested so far.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The forums are all messed up tonight.
very messed up. I sometimes cant even post for several minutes at a time.

"This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between posts. Please try again in 20899 seconds."

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
very messed up. I sometimes cant even post for several minutes at a time.

"This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between posts. Please try again in 20899 seconds."

LOL yeah...

sorry you seem to be having lots of issues with your 670. I've been pleased with mine, but I think I'm gonna do SLI eventually anyway. BF3 beats up the fps at times.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
LOL yeah...

sorry you seem to be having lots of issues with your 670. I've been pleased with mine, but I think I'm gonna do SLI eventually anyway. BF3 beats up the fps at times.
I have been playing some games and most of the stutter is gone but its still there. I even ran benchmarks with vsync on and get 57 or 58 fps for minimums even though I am well over 60 fps for minimums without vsync in those games. I dont know what I am going to get if i send the gtx670 back since I really do not want an AMD card...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, the minumum thing I see too. I saw it with an AMD card even when I was above 60 with vsync off at min. I can't explain why it's like that. Seems it shouldn't be but honestly I'm happy with the performance and I don't really watch the fps counters much.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
what resolution are you running because Crysis 1 only runs at 50fps with vsync anyway in DX10 at 1920x1080?

there is a work around for the 50 fps issue at 1080p.

For the life of me I can't remember how but way back in the day after much frustration I was able to remedy it. Wish I could remember how.