Gears of War Ultimate Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Finally got around to playing it, and I can't really see any significant aliasing. Game looks and plays great for the most part. The only thing is the odd stutter when entering new areas, so it definitely looks like it has some kind of streaming problem with the textures.

Other than that, it appears as though I'm getting 60 FPS with no framerate drops..

60fps at 4k? Everything on Ultra? The only way to tell is through the benchmark since Fraps doesn't work. Triple buffering can make it appear like your getting 60fps when you really are not.

Texture shimmering/aliasing is definitely all over the place even at 4k. I guess most people don't notice it. It could possibly be light reflecting off some surfaces and shimmering, but when it happens mostly with horizontal and vertical lines it's most likely aliasing. Also certain parts don't have it as much but others have it all over. One such place is called "Knock Knock" which comes right after "a fork in the road", when you take the Troika gun just look at the buildings and the pillars, even the horizontal surfaces like the barriers have it. You can't miss it, lines shouldn't be flickering like that assuming proper AA.

IMHO a release like this has no room for any aliasing especially at 4k. I think even 2x MSAA with MFAA would solve it but again this platform won't support things like MFAA. Maybe injecting SMAA would solve it, but again this platform won't support that either. So I guess FXAA it is I guess.

Last edited:

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
I want the other games in the series. I already have GOW from when it was released back in 2007.

I hope they flood the market with games that were previously console exclusive. I want to use my PC controller more.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have not seen it on XB1, so have no idea what it looks like. I will check some youtube vids. I replayed it on my 360S last weekend in anticipation of release. Having moved back to PC for 99 percent of my gaming a few years ago drastically impacted the experience. You really do get used to just about anything. I thought it looked great bitd. Now? The frame rates tanking, how bad it looks on a newer TV, etc. Hard to play it honestly.

Playing Ultimate at 1080p with shadows low, MB off because I do not like it, and AO off because I am not certain the GTX 960FTW I am using at the moment can handle it. ( I juggle cards a lot to see how they do v. the reality distortion field tech forums produce :p ) I will turn it on since it is handling the current settings with 59.x FPS avg in the bench and gameplay is smooth with very few exceptions. Everything else on high, it still looks astounding in comparison. It seems like they forgot to update some of the art assets, but that could be the settings I am using?

Some of the things that jumped out at me, having just played on 360. Load screens are almost nonexistant now. The soundFX and music! Nice improvements imo. Little things like the sounds the boots make walking, the report of weapons, sniper rifle in particular. The detail on the character models. The little facial expressions and additions to cinematics that did not come through in the original. The addition of tons of debris, more vehicles, cloth; that kind of thing really adds to the atmosphere. The gore is another area where they brought the horror aspect further to the forefront. The detailed models, blood ans guts, all much improved.

I do not think it does anything special if compared to current games. Which is why I constrain the comments to the original I played. I never even tried the first PC port. So cannot say much there either.

Gears is one of my favorite franchises, and my favorite on console. Dsytopian future, sci-fi and horror is a guilty pleasure. Sure, it is fairly generic, but playing the games and reading the novels, the character development, back stories, and depth in fleshing out the world and its societies, is solid. It is admittedly nothing more than evil Spock alternate reality, but it works for me.

Have not hit the additional content added yet. Looking forward to that. For a gears fan, getting to play if like this is a treat.

It did take 4hrs to download, showing how poorly MS executed on this. And unless I clicked through or failed to read something while installing, it not only linked my XBL account, but added it as my login credentials for win10. It was a wtf moment when I rebooted and my email was there and password needed, to login. I am curious if changing it back will interfere with the game? Odd.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
worth $30? i have the original gears PC release and thought it was worth my money. granted i've already beaten gears 2 and 3 with a friend on xbox, but it would be nice to have a couple of co-op games lying around if i have friends over. (this all assumes I have friends to begin with)

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
60fps at 4k? Everything on Ultra? The only way to tell is through the benchmark since Fraps doesn't work. Triple buffering can make it appear like your getting 60fps when you really are not.

No this is at my monitor's native resolution, 1440p..

Texture shimmering/aliasing is definitely all over the place even at 4k. I guess most people don't notice it. It could possibly be light reflecting off some surfaces and shimmering, but when it happens mostly with horizontal and vertical lines it's most likely aliasing. Also certain parts don't have it as much but others have it all over. One such place is called "Knock Knock" which comes right after "a fork in the road"

I'll look for it later when I play again tonight..

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
worth $30? i have the original gears PC release and thought it was worth my money. granted i've already beaten gears 2 and 3 with a friend on xbox, but it would be nice to have a couple of co-op games lying around if i have friends over. (this all assumes I have friends to begin with)
:D

It appears to be the same game as the port you played. Outside of new audio and graphics. Perhaps some of the cinematics will be different in certain, I will not spoil, ways. But, unless you are going to co-op and MP, do not bother. I only bought it because I missed the first PC port.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
More competition for Steam is a good thing. Having more than one gaming service does not fragment the industry, it improves is.

False. That only is true if the game is released on MULTIPLE storefronts, not exclusive to one. That is the complete opposite of what you think is helping the industry. There is NO competition in exclusivity. It isn't the same as consoles.

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
False. That only is true if the game is released on MULTIPLE storefronts, not exclusive to one. That is the complete opposite of what you think is helping the industry. There is NO competition in exclusivity. It isn't the same as consoles.
Do you think Half Life 3 will be launched on any service other than steam?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Do you think Half Life 3 will be launched on any service other than steam?

Hard to say, but I would lean toward yes. They would most likely sell it anywhere, because regardless it will use Steam just like 90% of the other games out there.

The difference between UWP and Origin (for example) vs. Steam is they put exclusive games on their stores to force people to buy directly from them. That isn't to say UWP will stay that way, but let's be realistic that is exactly where it is now and will stay if given their way.

That isn't competition. It is just forcing people (who want your product) to jump through unnecessary hoops for your bottom line. It's like the difference between the Amazon store and Google Play. Splitting everything into storefronts is simply anti consumer.

Last edited:

Game_dev

Mar 2, 2016
Hard to say, but I would lean toward yes. They would most likely sell it anywhere, because regardless it will use Steam just like 90% of the other games out there.

The difference between UWP and Origin (for example) vs. Steam is they put exclusive games on their stores to force people to buy directly from them. That isn't to say UWP will stay that way, but let's be realistic that is exactly where it is now and will stay if given their way.

That isn't competition. It is just forcing people (who want your product) to jump through unnecessary hoops for your bottom line. It's like the difference between the Amazon store and Google Play. Splitting everything into storefronts is simply anti consumer.

So they will sell it anywhere, but you are forced to use steam. Valve is no different from the others with their own game. Some people just have rose colored glasses.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So they will sell it anywhere, but you are forced to use steam. Valve is no different from the others with their own game. Some people just have rose colored glasses.

You obviously do not know what 'competition' is. Welcome to ATOT.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
No this is at my monitor's native resolution, 1440p..

I'll look for it later when I play again tonight..

Hey so I played it again tonight. There is a vast difference between campaign and multi player. Multi player looks great even at 1440p. No aliasing I can see.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
What they're attempting to do with merging all their stuff is ambitious, but DX wasn't without it's growing pains too. I'm just hoping they're much faster this time around. I can't see them getting another shot before an Apple or Google gets it out there right and puts MS in an even worse place.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
For anyone playing this game on NVidia, the 364.51 drivers dramatically improve the gaming experience. All of the weird pauses and stuttering when entering new areas is gone with these drivers for me, and it's buttery smooth at 60 FPS...

Looks like it was some kind of problem with memory handling in DX12, but it seems to be fixed with this driver.