Gears of War Ultimate Edition

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
I want the other games in the series. I already have GOW from when it was released back in 2007.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Windows store exclusive? That means no SLI/crossfire, no gsync, no freesync, forced borderless windowed mode, no injection mods like sweetfx, and many other limitations. More info here on why: http://wccftech.com/windows-store-terrible-support-games-microsoft-fix/

It's definitely one way to prevent PC gamers from buying your games. I was looking forward to this too. I really don't care what store it's sold in, but these other limitations are complete bullcrap and I sure as hell ain't supporting it.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Windows store exclusive? That means no SLI/crossfire, no gsync, no freesync, forced borderless windowed mode, no injection mods like sweetfx, and many other limitations. More info here on why: http://wccftech.com/windows-store-terrible-support-games-microsoft-fix/

It's definitely one way to prevent PC gamers from buying your games. I was looking forward to this too. I really don't care what store it's sold in, but these other limitations are complete bullcrap and I sure as hell ain't supporting it.

I decided to buy it until you said this. No buy now if all that's true.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Looks like this game is on the verge of being released. And just like Quantum Break, it appears it will be a Windows Store exclusive.. It only supports DX12 as well, which is great I think. The faster we get rid of DX11, the better.. :thumbsup:

If you're wondering why the storage requirement is so high, it's due to the audio. They totally remastered the audio to support Dolby Surround Sound 7.1..

Personally I can't wait to play it, as I've always loved the Gears series. I was really ticked off when Gears 2 and Gears 3 never came to Windows :'(

CAMPAIGN FEATURES:

Every aspect of the original Gears of War has been beautifully remastered and modernized, including lighting, environments, characters, and cinematic scenes. This is the first at its best!
Play in stunning 4K with an unlocked refresh rate.
Includes five additional, exhilarating campaign missions that follow Delta Squad as they battle their way to Timgad Station not included in the Xbox 360 original.
Go deeper into Gears fiction with five Gears of War comic books, which can be unlocked and read within the game.
Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound.

MULTIPLAYER FEATURES:

The most visceral online shooter returns with multiplayer matches running on fast and fair dedicated servers with unlocked refresh rates.
Includes all original Xbox 360 DLC multiplayer maps and three multiplayer maps from the original Gears of War PC version for an incredible 19 total multiplayer maps.
Newly added multiplayer modes include Team Death Match, King of the Hill, Blitz and a special 2v2 mode designed by the Gears of War community.
Returning multiplayer modes include Warzone, Assassination, Execution and Annex.

AND MORE:

All new Xbox Live Achievements and 1,250 new Gamerscore.
Handpicked gameplay improvements, alternate controls and a new difficulty level for players new to the franchise.
Support for keyboard or gamepad controls.

The Windows 10 version includes the Deluxe Weapon Skin Pack and 11 bonus multiplayer characters.

This game requires a DirectX 12 capable graphics card. Please refer to your graphics card vendors' website for more information.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.7Ghz or AMD FX 6-core
Memory: 8 GB RAM (2 GB VRAM)
Graphics: Geforce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon R7 260x
Hard Drive: 60 GB available space
DirectX 12

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR 1920X1080P

Processor: Intel Core i5 @3.5GHz+ or AMD FX 8-core
Memory: 16 GB RAM (4 GB VRAM)
Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290X
Hard Drive: 60 GB available space
DirectX 12

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR 4K

Processor: Intel Core i7 @ 4Ghz or AMD FX 8-core
Memory: 16 GB RAM (6+ GB VRAM)
Graphics: Geforce GTX 980 Ti or Radeon R9 390X
Hard Drive: SSD + 60 GB available space
DirectX 12

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got this as included in my xb1 as disc for 1 and downloads for rest. May get the pc version if it's pretty cheap later. Normally I like shooters much much more on pc, but this isn't a straight shooter so it's not a bad play through on console.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
It only supports DX12 as well, which is great I think. The faster we get rid of DX11, the better.. :thumbsup:

I like DX12 features but if it's all gonna be tied to Windows 10 game store than I won't be purchasing any Microsoft products in the future.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Not interested in this game, but if MS is thinking they are going to starting forcing exclusives to get people to buy from their store, then well, yet one more reason I won't be going to Windows 10. To me that is them trying to create yet one more monopoly. I'm tired of all these companies trying to take freedom of choice away to the point it is either 'buy it and use it exactly and only in the manner we we want' or 'don't buy it' and in the same breath shake their head in confusion why no one wants their crap. Especially when an OS company should know better than to force things like GFWL and UWP down peoples throats.

The more you make me jump through hoops, the less I'm interested. Too many other options that aren't as difficult.

Last edited:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Is this just the original Gears of War? Or does it also include the sequels? I'm unable to open the OP link at work.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Should be on Steam and retail too. Fragmentation of the PC gaming industry is not acceptable.

Not just Steam, but Origin and Uplay as well. Steam isn't the be all end all of PC gaming you know..

Although I'm curious to see whether Microsoft fixes the issues with their UWP model on the PC. If they do, there's no reason why Windows store can't be a viable digital distribution platform.

Is this just the original Gears of War? Or does it also include the sequels? I'm unable to open the OP link at work.

It's just a remake of the original..

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It came out today. $29.99. 53GB download.

Early reports say it runs like crap on some AMD cards (with visual artifacts to boot). Also, no GSYNC, forced vsync, forced borderless windowed mode, and everything else you've come to expect from windows store games.

Last edited:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
It came out today. $29.99. 53GB download.

Early reports say it runs like crap on some AMD cards (with visual artifacts to boot). Also, no GSYNC, forced vsync, forced borderless windowed mode, and everything else you've come to expect from windows store games.

It's annoying for sure. FRAPS doesn't work. It is in borderless windowed mode. Can't even really tell if it's running at 4k. Have to restart the game for resolution to change. Despite running at 4k plus FXAA there is very noticeable aliasing in parts (just look at his gun for one). Running the benchmark reveals a Titan X at 1450MHz cannot hold 60 fps, it runs between 45-60fps.

Contrast that with Far Cry primal. Runs at 60fps 1440p SMAA no issues. No aliasing at all. I don't know why some games cannot have the aliasing dialed out. AC Unity for example has no aliasing even at 1080p with MSAA or TXAA. AC Syndicate on the other hand has noticeable aliasing no matter what settings you use even 4k. Rise of the Tomb Raider has very little aliasing even at 1080p with SMAA. I don't know what factors cause this to happen.

I don't get it. What's the point of "4k" textures if they shimmer all the time? The game does look good but it's not up to the hype. Windows Store limitations will make me think twice about buying any more Windows Store games. Also the DX12 requirement must be an artificial one. It runs on UE3, that's not even a native DX12 engine. The UWP must change or PC gamers won't take it seriously Forza or no Forza.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Bought it but I won't be able to install and play it till later.

I really hope they bring the rest of the Gears franchise to Windows! :thumbsup:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It's annoying for sure. FRAPS doesn't work. It is in borderless windowed mode. Can't even really tell if it's running at 4k. Have to restart the game for resolution to change. Despite running at 4k plus FXAA there is very noticeable aliasing in parts (just look at his gun for one). Running the benchmark reveals a Titan X at 1450MHz cannot hold 60 fps, it runs between 45-60fps.

Are you using the latest drivers? 362.xx?

Also the game has much higher polygon density than the Xbox One version. Up to twice as much for characters for instance.. Not saying that's what's causing the performance problems, but just letting you know the PC version isn't just some straight port.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Are you using the latest drivers? 362.xx?

Also the game has much higher polygon density than the Xbox One version. Up to twice as much for characters for instance.. Not saying that's what's causing the performance problems, but just letting you know the PC version isn't just some straight port.

I just installed the new drivers. Not much if any difference. I know it's not a straight port but it still is aliased at 4K. It's not terrible by any means but it's visible. I suppose it is a nitpick but there are games on the market today that are completely free of aliasing or can be set to run on current hardware without any visible aliasing.

I just have to look at the end result overall. It looks good but there is still visible aliasing. I have everything maxed out (except motion blur which is off).

The good news is the varying frame rate is acceptable in that it is triple buffered properly. So you don't get slowdowns or noticeable hitches.

Another downside of the Windows Universal Platform is that DSR resolutions are not shown. So the step down from 4K is 1440p and aliasing is very visible at that resolution. So my only option is to run at 4K and take the frame rate hit.

FXAA is the only anti aliasing option apart from running at 4K which is basically a form of SSAA. SMAA cannot be injected either. Because I would try 1440p with SMAA if that were an option.

I think overall these limitations don't bode well for Windows Store games. It's almost like a console within your PC.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Not just Steam, but Origin and Uplay as well. Steam isn't the be all end all of PC gaming you know..

Although I'm curious to see whether Microsoft fixes the issues with their UWP model on the PC. If they do, there's no reason why Windows store can't be a viable digital distribution platform.

It's just a remake of the original..

the problem with comparing uplay and origin to steam is, steam is more than just a valve store.

uplay and origin sell ea and ubi games only.

also their store only exists because they refuse to just get out of the way.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I just installed the new drivers. Not much if any difference. I know it's not a straight port but it still is aliased at 4K. It's not terrible by any means but it's visible. I suppose it is a nitpick but there are games on the market today that are completely free of aliasing or can be set to run on current hardware without any visible aliasing.

Scanning the Neogaf thread, I didn't see any fuss about aliasing. I guess I'll see for myself when I get around to playing the game.

I think overall these limitations don't bode well for Windows Store games. It's almost like a console within your PC.

Microsoft have claimed they will fix these issues, including adding modding capabilities etcetera.. So hopefully these limitations won't remain with us for long.

That said, I'd rather have access to these games even with their limitations, than no access whatsoever on PC..

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
the problem with comparing uplay and origin to steam is, steam is more than just a valve store.

I can tell you've never used Uplay or Origin at all :rolleyes:

Only someone that has never used either of them, would make such a statement..

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002

Uplay sells non Ubi games. But it's the worst store ever. You can't find dlc for a game you own to save your life. Also it keeps asking you to log in for purchases. A far cry from the 2 clicks it takes to buy stuff on either Origin or Steam. Which is entire basis of why people pay for content instead of pirating it - convenience.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Scanning the Neogaf thread, I didn't see any fuss about aliasing. I guess I'll see for myself when I get around to playing the game.

Microsoft have claimed they will fix these issues, including adding modding capabilities etcetera.. So hopefully these limitations won't remain with us for long.

That said, I'd rather have access to these games even with their limitations, than no access whatsoever on PC..

I will have to say I can see aliasing when others can't. If I point it out then people see it. I suggest looking at the guns and vertical pillars. Again it's not a huge deal but I think certain new generation games have gotten that aspect perfect and I'm thankful we have reached an era where that is possible.

I really hope they listen to us. I'm sure they want to keep these properties within their platform so they need to expand the capabilities of the platform to give us what we want. And yes I'd rather play Forza for example on Windows 10 over Xbone so I guess I'd grudgingly still buy it on Windows over Xbox.

Edit: I'm looking it now and I'll have to say you don't need "golden eyes" or anything to see the aliasing and textures shimmering. It's clearly visible. Some good MSAA would be better than 4K. They can talk about "4K textures" and double the polygons all day but it's the end result that matters.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've used Uplay - and will never buy another Ubisoft product ever (granted to their credit they did make it almost invisible in Rocksmith, but other games not so much). I've not touched Origin and do not plan to.

I ONLY use Steam because it has shown its value over time (and as of yet hasn't screwed me over in 8 years). When 20 different companies want their own dedicated storefrontends it defeats the entire purpose of having them in the first place.

I will not be touching the Windows Store any time soon - I would like to say forever - but that isn't realistic. A company such as MS should know these issues and not even released it in this manner. It should not be a matter of 'fixing' because it should never have been that way to begin with. This is just another example of their disdain for what got them where they are.

Those that think they HAVE to have these products....well...don't complain because you are the ones that let them get away with it. If more people would stand their ground rather than give in and make excuses for every little thing they'd spend more time fixing issues before they are put out than pretending to be sorry later.

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I will have to say I can see aliasing when others can't. If I point it out then people see it. I suggest looking at the guns and vertical pillars. Again it's not a huge deal but I think certain new generation games have gotten that aspect perfect and I'm thankful we have reached an era where that is possible.

Finally got around to playing it, and I can't really see any significant aliasing. Game looks and plays great for the most part. The only thing is the odd stutter when entering new areas, so it definitely looks like it has some kind of streaming problem with the textures.

Other than that, it appears as though I'm getting 60 FPS with no framerate drops..