Games which deserve a sequel

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Although sometimes sequel means only trouble for a story that ended in the original game, I think these games (when I look upon them as a concept of a delightful game) should have a sequel:

Advent Rising
Albion
Arcanum
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Discworld Noir
Gray Matter
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Pathologic
Planescape: Torment
Psychonauts
Rise of Nations (I don't count Rise of Legends, since it was too different in many aspects of the game)
Sanitarium
Superhero League of Hoboken
Zeno Clash

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
zeno clash is having a sequel being done as far as a i know

as a matter of fact the sequel is coming out this year

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
zeno clash is having a sequel being done as far as a i know

as a matter of fact the sequel is coming out this year

Nice, that's a good news, I hope it will be less linear. There is a great potential in that kind of world.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Does the MMORPG (Star Wars - The Old Republic) answer any questions on the Darth Revan side of things, does anyone know?

Not that I have any inclination to play an MMORPG.

Not really, no. It does happen, hundreds, if not thousands of years after the single player games though.

Interestingly enough, there is a revan worshipping cult you can do a series of quests for, out in the wilderness on the sith home planet.

One guy there insisted that Revan became the sith emporer, and was still ruling during the present day, heh

crunkzilla

Mar 30, 2012
I hope they will make a sequel or even a remake of Tie Fighter. I cant imagine how awesome this game would look and play on modern hardware. Instead of missions where there would be only one or two Star Destroyers and a couple of tie fighter wings, you could have an enitre fleet with hundreds of tie fighters flying around.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I hope they will make a sequel or even a remake of Tie Fighter. I cant imagine how awesome this game would look and play on modern hardware. Instead of missions where there would be only one or two Star Destroyers and a couple of tie fighter wings, you could have an enitre fleet with hundreds of tie fighters flying around.

X-Wing Alliance is 3D accelerated and has a nice skirmish mode.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Final Fantasy needs a damn sequel! I get the feeling that it was not the final fantasy...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Although sometimes sequel means only trouble for a story that ended in the original game, I think these games (when I look upon them as a concept of a delightful game) should have a sequel:

Advent Rising
Albion
Arcanum
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Discworld Noir
Gray Matter
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Pathologic
Planescape: Torment
Psychonauts
Rise of Nations (I don't count Rise of Legends, since it was too different in many aspects of the game)
Sanitarium
Superhero League of Hoboken
Zeno Clash

That's what's funny about Advent Rising - it was written and developed as the first chapter of a trilogy.

They canceled a side-story (or something) that was in development for the PSP, and scrapped ideas of any sequels due to lackluster sales. The expense of the development and massive advertising campaign, combined with lower than expected sales, sealed that coffin tight.

I never played it, but I followed the hype and remembering reading as much as possible on it and the story that drove it all, and was hoping to play it at some point. Low sales and mixed reviews put me off, never got around to playing it.

t77snapshot

Apr 23, 2010
One game that truly needed a sequel was Alone in the Dark (5), they left you with a huge open ending and from what I read, the developers had plan to make a second (6th) one, but their funds were cut short for some reason and it just never happened. :( I hope one day some one will come along and pick up the story where they left off.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Don't curse him too much. Just heard he was bankrupt too. To the point where he just auctioned off his (possibly fake) bloody sock from the WS.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/...ock-casualty-his-video-game-company-collapse/

Of course he's broke - he swindled the local governments so much they're going after him directly.
The way he approached it all, and how much money he sunk simply to try and have his name attached to a big hit (he ruined BigHugeGames in the process), he completely blew his chances of ever having a successful studio unless he somehow can swindle some VCs.
The whole thing: take this product -- which is almost done -- change it up a heck of a lot (increasing cost massively) attach other major names to the development of different parts, sell it as the start of a major franchise, and plan it all to culminate in an MMO that apparently wouldn't really stand out from the noise anyhow.

I don't know who owned the Rise of Nations brand, but it was BigHugeGames who developed it. Either we'll have, at best, a chance of seeing a spiritual successor, or Microsoft will recruit them or some other developer (BHG-guys or nobody!) to make a sequel. I imagine BHG owns the property/trademark, as they were planning on releasing a title under THQ, so they weren't obligated under Microsoft (though it is possible they were).

Those guys are getting passed around like crazy. It's a shame. They start developing an RPG, plan on having THQ publish it. THQ buys them. THQ gets cold feet, can't do anything with them, shutters the business unless a buyer is found. 38 Studios comes into the picture, buys them, sets them to work on that RPG with massive changes (it took an additional three years, when they were planning on releasing it in 2009, the year they got dumped/bought). 38 Studios fails miserably as a company (the product did get released, and I here it wasn't half bad ;)), Epic buys them up, forms Epic Baltimore, turns it into Impossible Games, and just recently canned them as well.
Epic's plan for them? A mobile game (Infinity Blade: Dungeons). What a waste of talent.
That was only about 30 days ago, they have 60 more days for their severance packages. They have the option to keep the name Impossible Games (I kind of like it, especially when they use the "Impossibear logo" :D).

It looks like the head honcho (Reynolds) had left BHG about a month after 38 Studios bought them (speaks well for what was to come, eh? He saw the writing quite clearly). He formed a new studio for Zynga (ugh, an even worse waste of talent!).
But what have we hear? Remember, early February 2013, Epic announced the closure of Impossible Games.
In February 2013, Reynolds left Zynga.

Reunion?
Redemption?

Rise of Nations 2?

:D

If they know what's good for them (and if they have the property rights), they NEED to make RoN2. Why? Handled properly, it should give them the needed cash flow to recover... from there, they can resume doing whatever the hell they feel like developing. But at this point, they need to return to the familiar as opposed to taking further risks.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Last game I liked was FF7 and it had issues too.

So, I recommend you get yourself an emulator and relive the glory days.

t'was a joke!

but I liked 9, as well. 8 was crud. 7 and 9 were the last of the series if you ask me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Post games that never got the sequel they deserved.

For me:

Quake Wars
C&C: Renegade.

I like mission driven FPS, that's also one of the reasons I like Chivalry.

Yes QW! Also, keep an eye on dirtybomb coming up.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
That's what's funny about Advent Rising - it was written and developed as the first chapter of a trilogy.

They canceled a side-story (or something) that was in development for the PSP, and scrapped ideas of any sequels due to lackluster sales. The expense of the development and massive advertising campaign, combined with lower than expected sales, sealed that coffin tight.

I never played it, but I followed the hype and remembering reading as much as possible on it and the story that drove it all, and was hoping to play it at some point. Low sales and mixed reviews put me off, never got around to playing it.

Yeah, I remember that. Advent Rising wasn't one of the greatest games, but still it was more than playable and even the story was a bit melodramatic space opera it has a well paced tempo and good atmosphere and of course, opened ending... -_-

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Battlefield 2
Streets of Sim City
Interstate 1982 (bf1942 mod)
Battlefield 1942 ( OH GOD I NEED DIS)
Unreal Tournament 2k4
Pyschonauts (pretty amazing for its day)
ECCO the dolphin (I'd love to see multiplayer done right)
Road Rash (Again, Multiplayer/mobile would be amazing)
Warcraft 3 (much more enjoyable compared to SC2 for me)
Half-life series (hurry up already damnit!)
Maybe battlefield 2142 if they don't ruin it like BF3. I'd also love to see Vietnam redone. I've played every battlefield game, and playtested a few :) I don't support BF3 or BF4!

Oct 30, 2004
Unreal Tournament (UT99) -- The original from 1999, not the abomination UT3 or UT 2003 that worked to kill the franchise and online multiplayer arena-FPS.