Games recommended for the story, with combat tolerable

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
What are some games that are like LOTR War in the North, Dragon Age, (hell maybe even Bulletstorm) in progression and combat, with stories that are worth playing through? Although not mandatory I do like conversation choices like War in the North and Dragon Age have.

And I have Skyrim already; not crazy about the combat but I will get through it eventually. (and I've already played these too: KOTOR, Deus Ex HR, Mafia 2, Space Marines, probably others I can't remember)

Also, what's the game with the longest story that you know of? I don't mean that it achieves it by using ridiculously long cutscenes, just simply a very long story.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I thought the story in Dishonored was really good. If you enjoy the base game, be sure and pick up both major DLC - The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches, as they both add substantially to the game and plot.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
The combat is atrocious, but the world that TES: Morrowind creates and the story that evolves in that world is second to none. Not to mention the lore is unparalleled, read those in-game books! Highly recommended.

For more modern games I'd take a look at the Mass Effect series. Very similar to Dragon Age in my opinion, but within the context of a shooter, and it has the conversation choices you mention. I'd also second Dishonored, which has a completely fresh style of action as well as a compelling plot.

Among upcoming games I would look at the Project Eternity Isometric RPG that's nearing beta.

Last edited:

IVIX1

Oct 30, 2013
Dues Ex HR Directors cut.

I know some people have mixed feelings about it being re-done, and further, I hear many people saying it lacks the optimization that DE:HR has(which I've read is to be attributed to it being based on an earlier build and not the final DE:HR build).

BUT

The commentary by the Devs that plays throughout the game(if turned on) is a nice addition.

I've not played DE:HR, but I've played Directors Cut three times through. Its definately my favorite game I've played in years, so I apologize if this is somewhat of a redundant choice/suggestion for you.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Dues Ex HR Directors cut.

I know some people have mixed feelings about it being re-done, and further, I hear many people saying it lacks the optimization that DE:HR has(which I've read is to be attributed to it being based on an earlier build and not the final DE:HR build).

BUT

The commentary by the Devs that plays throughout the game(if turned on) is a nice addition.

I've not played DE:HR, but I've played Directors Cut three times through. Its definately my favorite game I've played in years, so I apologize if this is somewhat of a redundant choice/suggestion for you.

No, I liked DE HR enough I'll probably run through again, so doing it on director's cut sounds good!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I almost forgot!

The obligatory recommendation, Half Life 2.

Perfect pacing, story telling, and production. It stands as a monument to gaming. I assume most people have played it, but if you haven't - do yourself a favor and pick it up.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If you haven't ever played it, Planescape: Torment is probably the longest story out there and it's an amazing game. I forget but I think it had like 100,000 lines of diaglog (with choices). You can get it pretty cheap on GOG and there are patches/graphics upgrades to make the game look and work better.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I second the recommendation for Deus Ex: HR. But make sure you get the graphics enhancement mods that get rid of the yellow tint and filters.

Fallout New Vegas has long gameplay, the story is reasonably long but it takes longer if you do all side quests and like to explore a lot. The older Fallout games seem shorter in length but not any less richer.

The Witcher games have really good stories. Much better plots than Bioware's Dragon Age Origins, a pretty good game in its own right but the epic save the world plot has been done to death. Witcher 2 in particular has beautiful cutscenes, graphics, and environments. The combat can be hard.

Have not played Half-Life 2 or Planescape Torment yet. Will get around to that someday......:(

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Two that probably wont get mentioned otherwise, but The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Loved the story in these.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Two that probably wont get mentioned otherwise, but The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Loved the story in these.

Came here just to put this in. Wonderfully done environments with a perfectly intertwined storyline that has a breathtaking conclusion to it as well. Not much in terms of conversation choices though.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Neverwinter Nights 2 : Mask of the Betrayer. Almost a spiritual remake of Planescape Torment.

Bioshock Infinite. Amazing mindbender story with just about tolerable combat.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl. A sense of dread and mystery that permeates throughout the game.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Neverwinter Nights 2 : Mask of the Betrayer. Almost a spiritual remake of Planescape Torment.

My interest petered out halfway through. I thought the companions were bland compared to the OC and I wasn't really engrossed in any story.
Hmmm... loading it up, it might be because I was sitting there as a Bard(16)/RDD(10) with 46 strength, 59AC unbuffed, and immunity to pretty much everything. I tend to lose interest when it's a cakewalk.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
1) Baldur's Gate series - great storyline that runs through all of the games

2) Mass Effect - pretty epic, not too difficult on the combat side

3) Morrowind - combat is an afterthought. Exploring the island and lifting the dark cloud is the heart of the game.

3) Gothic 1&2 - the story has some RPG conventions, but overall I found it fascinating. You're dropped into a magically sealed prison colony and have to fend for yourself. A lot of what is common nowadays, like fully spoken dialogue and no loading zones, were new and refreshing back then.

4) Soulbringer - after playing through most of this with my nephew a few years ago I have to admit: it has some slow moments. But overall it's still one of the best stories I've ever played. The area around the first town is quite slowly paced and a bit barren, and I can understand people giving up before you reach the good parts.

5) Knights of the old Republic - great space opera set in the Star Wars universe. This is probably the best "drunk" game of all time, since the combat is determined by dice rolls instead of twitch.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
OP mentioned KOTOR but not KOTOR 2. If you haven't played it, you really need to.

Fallout New Vegas has a better story than Fallout 3 and combat is reasonable.

Bioshock Infinite, set the combat on easy. You don't need to have played Bioshock 1-2 for the story, it's a different place and characters.

Already mentioned: Planescape: Torment, Mass Effect

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Another vote for Bioshock Infinite. Gameplay wise, it's a pretty standard shooter that doesn't do anything special. Once you get the sniper rife and hand cannon, you can breeze through most battles. The story is pretty mind bending though. Especially if you're in to alternate history fiction and quantum physics.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The Witcher series is definitely up there for me. Mass Effect is also pretty good, regardless of how much people didn't like the ending of 3. I thought it was just fine as released. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (even if it was largely unfinished), are worth the price of admission as well, especially if you like Star Wars.

I wasn't a huge fan of Bioshock Infinite (I actually preferred the first Bioshock's story, until the ending).

All of the Fallout games are good, and Fallout 3 + New Vegas really capture the atmosphere to a point. They still end up feeling like theme parks, but exploration is great. Morrowind is probably the best use of open world atmopshere and story telling I've seen.

If you want some older stuff, the Ultima games are pretty good. Ultima 4 and 7 are considered the best, and they are.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011

That reminds me, I need to start up Dreamfall. I never got around to playing it and TLJ was an amazing game.

My recommendation will be:

Mass Effect series. 2 is probably my favorite because you were allowed to build your team at your own pace.

Witcher 2.

Bioshock 1. The atmosphere. Make sure to try and pick up all the recordings.

Arkham Asylum and City. Get to play as the god damn Batman. Asylum feels more story driven, but City brings in the open world aspect and lets your glide around like a badass.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I almost forgot!

The obligatory recommendation, Half Life 2.

Perfect pacing, story telling, and production. It stands as a monument to gaming. I assume most people have played it, but if you haven't - do yourself a favor and pick it up.
Not a big fan of the pacing in HL2 - some segments went on long after I thought they should have ended - but story and production, certainly.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas both spring to mind, as do both Metro games. The OP may also find Fallout and Fallout 2 to be good; personally I find both the graphics and the turn-based combat to be more than I can hack, but people always rave about the story being so much better than later versions.