gamegpuOpengl GameWolfenstein The New Order benchmark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Check out the TotalBiscuit's youtube first look at the game. I'd say that if you're looking for long term replay-ability you may want to wait for a lower price, the game probably isn't worth it for SP at 60 bucks. Especially since there is no MP. But if the price doesn't matter to you - it is definitely fun. Personally I was a huge fan of the old Wolf games with RTCW being a favorite, so while I spent way too much, I am very much enjoying the gameplay.

Here's his vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduQvX4nU0k

I can't see this game remaining at 60$ for a long time though. If the lack of MP matters to you, i'd wait for the price to go down a tad.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
wolfenstein_-_1080p_-xorb4.png

google translate :biggrin:

AMD graphics cards probably have bigger problems with the streaming of the textures
and therefore fall mainly in the minimum frame rates lag behind their Nvidia counterparts

With a Nvidia GPU you are as a potential player of Wolfenstein currently better positioned than with a Radeon.
The frame rates are not as fickle and multi-sampling function satisfactorily and at least the minimum frame rates are well above those that can achieve a comparable AMD GPU.
Infected a Radeon in the domestic system and Ultra settings being considered at 1080p, the GPU should belong to the upper class.
Except the case, the GPU is a bit dated, as the tested HD 6950th Because see in this category and (forcibly) reduced details comparable Nvidia GPUs

A GTX 580 achieves only a single-digit frame rates in our benchmark.
A truly logical explanation, we must, however, remain guilty Wolfenstein behaves quite irrational in this respect.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Wolfe...enstein-The-New-Order-Test-Benchmark-1121737/

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Check out the TotalBiscuit's youtube first look at the game. I'd say that if you're looking for long term replay-ability you may want to wait for a lower price, the game probably isn't worth it for SP at 60 bucks. Especially since there is no MP. But if the price doesn't matter to you - it is definitely fun. Personally I was a huge fan of the old Wolf games with RTCW being a favorite, so while I spent way too much, I am very much enjoying the gameplay.

Here's his vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduQvX4nU0k

I can't see this game remaining at 60$ for a long time though. If the lack of MP matters to you, i'd wait for the price to go down a tad.

I've liked the other older wolfenstein game. I guess I will wait for a sale. Don't feel like spending full price right now for what seems like very similar single player fps, which looks kind of fun from the videos.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
So is this game worth it? Trying to decide from YouTube videos.

Love the weapons mechanics :cool:
$60. It's a good deal take it!

RE perf: Considering this is OpenGL and an early boot, I am satisfied with the way my Radeon runs the game. Having too much fun to be finicky about the game issues.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Seems like the major issues people had running AMD or Nvidia cards came from running old drivers. Go figure in today's PC gaming landscape you need to have drivers which include support of the game you are trying to run.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Love the weapons mechanics :cool:
$60. It's a good deal take it!

RE perf: Considering this is OpenGL and an early boot, I am satisfied with the way my Radeon runs the game. Having too much fun to be finicky about the game issues.

You can't not love a game that let's you dual wield assault rifles. :)

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Seems like the major issues people had running AMD or Nvidia cards came from running old drivers. Go figure in today's PC gaming landscape you need to have drivers which include support of the game you are trying to run.

No it's a really a bug fest when it comes to rendering.
On both sides, though more in the red camp.

You can't not love a game that let's you dual wield assault rifles. :)

Ofc :D but it's not just that.
It's that super-responsive low latency feel when firing weapons, characteristic for some OpenGL games;
Quake, Doom III, Rage and now Wolfenstein New Order.

Now if only devs/driver team would achieve better lvl of communication than during Rage...

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Especially with regards to motion blur there is a difference.

Maybe the fps is also tied to the physics, in the same way as the Trials games from Ubisoft? Or maybe it has something to do with the console versions.

Anyway, with an increasing amount (I'm guessing) of gamers getting 120hz monitors, isn't it about time to move on from such silliness as 60fps caps in games?

All previous ID engines have had physics tied to FPS. For instance in Quake World (Quake 1 multi-player) it was capped at 72fps. But you could hack it to remove that cap, allowing you to run and jump faster and higher.

Same goes for Quake 3. There were some jumps on certain maps that you could only make at 120+ fps. At 60 you could not make it. This is why in competitive Quake 3 (At the time that it came out), most people ran with texture/poly settings at near minimum.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
if u mean $60 price tag than totally no.This game price should be $40 not more than that because no MP and out dated graphic.

Yea I should have been clearer. I know it would be a fun run and gun game but for full price I'll wait.

How long is the sp campaign btw?

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
AMD might have good performance but its not actually rendering the game properly, and performance is often very inconsistent. I wouldn't say they have managed to get this one at all, once they are rendering everything correctly and the game is working for their customers then its worth doing a performance test to determine where their cards are.

Wrong bro.Go see forum all mostly all AMD user are complaining alot of about horrible texture,stuttering,flickering and crashing in Wolfenstein The new order.

I have an AMD card right now and I have bought the game. I've played maybe 3 hours in total so far. I've had zero issues. Not only smooth frame rate but also good performance, no microstuttering or the like.

I remember AMD having more issues with Rage than Nvidia did.
It is nice to see that they learned their lesson.

Interesting. I've always used Nvidia in the past so I've never experienced the previous AMD issues. But what you're saying is largely consistent with a focus on improving the really poor drivers AMD had for quite some time now into something more... useful.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
CPU bench scores indicate the game wants Intel quad core or AMD 6/8 core.

Look at mins for AMD 4300 and Intel 4330 vs their bigger brothers.

Interesting that an R9 270 can basically max the game out at 1080P locked to 60fps, but that it will need a fairly beefy CPU to do so.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
No it's a really a bug fest when it comes to rendering.
On both sides, though more in the red camp.

I was referring to the major bugs (won't load, 2-3 fps, no textures, etc.). The engine itself has been buggy from the start but the last time I tried Rage, at least, it was pretty smooth sailing with just a few minor hiccups.

x3sphere

Jul 22, 2009
www.exophase.com
Wasn't id Tech 5 meant to cut down on VRAM usage with megatexture tech? I remember Carmack making a big deal out of it.

This game actually is one of the first to exhaust all my VRAM (3GB) and that's with AA not even enabled. The textures aren't that great most of the time either. And it's not doing anything particularly fancy otherwise...

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Looks like a really fun game, but overpriced and not of 2014 caliber for a gaming engine. I'd part with $40 for it, so please post coupon codes!

It uses OpenGL 3.2 which is DX9 level.

Anyone with a 2gb or less card will be locked out of Ultra settings in graphics options which is loss for GTX 770 and GTX 680 2gb owners, cards that have plenty of grunt to run Ultra without VRAM limitation imposed by the game.

Last edited:

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
And what about AMD's "horrible texture,stuttering,flickering and crashing"? It happened to you?

There's only stuttering which goes away if you keep ppf to 32 and shadows to 4096. I don't know if this qualifies as stuttering though. I think that ppf 64 and shadows 8192 are maybe just too high for a single 7950, even GHz like mine. When the framerate is 60fps, it's buttery smooth.

No crashing so far, no texture pop up and I'm well into 1 hour of gameplay inside the game. I'll report if I see something later.

Unfortunately I cannot make a video, because every time I hit F9 with fraps, the framerate drops to 15fps. First time I see that out of hundreds of videos I've made before.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Urge is growing. Last game that drew $60 from my pocket was Stick of Truth.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure it will be substantially lower in price in the coming weeks and months. If you have a steam backlog, i'd wait a bit.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the game, it's a VERY fun game. But it may not be worth 60$ as a single player only game.

It is kind of annoying to see so many people brush it off based on technical issues with the engine, but I really don't think that prevents a good game from, in fact, being good. The most important part of Wolf: TNO to me is the pace of the game (fast, just like old school games) and the gun mechanics. The gun mechanics are so so good. I love it.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
yes gun mechanics are great and great pace. The manual item pickup doesn't bother me, but I do feel the AI is lacking. Game is too easy even on harder difficulties.....

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Why buy this game at $60? It'll be $20-30 in a few months. It's not like you gotta be in there day one for the MP.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
What's the rationale behind locking the game at 60fps? They don't trust the consumers?

Its an engine designed for consoles and they didn't port it to PC properly. I would argue they lack the technical skill to do it but Carmack was there at the time and we know he has the ability to solve this one. Seems mostly like just malaise.