[GameGpu] Mad Max GPU/CPU Benchmarks

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
If this is a precursor as to how well Avalanche Studios will optimize Just Cause 3, this is looking great.

Working SLI/CF on day 1!

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_1920.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_2560.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_3840.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_proz.jpg

This game scales decently with more CPU cores/HT as well. :thumbsup:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_intel.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Mad_Max_-test-MadMax_amd.jpg

Source

I almost forgot that some PC developers actually know how to code videogames to take advantage of CPU/GPU hardware. It's not the next Crysis 3/Ryse Son of Rome graphically, but at least it runs well and most importantly scales well with more GPU/CPU horsepower! :p

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Kepler is looking decent here. nice to see
Wish they would get a Fury X into their tests on here

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
This gets me more excited for Just Cause 3. Kudos to the developers here!

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
Was expecting this game to be very good based on the gameplay/interviews I'd seen before release. The reviews (besides 'pay for 8' IGN and a couple of other minor sites) have been lackluster thus far.

Why Ubisoft/Warner Bros. have to give EVERY single game the same mechanics is both :( and :colbert:.

We get it, Assassins Creed (I and II, anyways) and Batman we're really good, but every new game does not need the same treatment. (i.e. Shadow of Mordor and the The Crew).

*Press Y to counter-attack, press X to win. Press Start -> Quit from boredom*

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
They could do smarter CPU/clocks scaling test really..

Is it fully DX11? or DX12?

I think for now it's DX11 only I believe, although the developer did state that they were experimenting with DX12. Maybe for Just Cause 3?

For this particular game, I do not see what the point is of DX12 porting as the game runs well on a moderate GPU/CPUs. It's unoptimized games like ARK Survival, Project CARS, Assassin's Creed Unity with massive DX11 API draw call bottlenecks that would benefit greatly from DX12. Unfortunately with Windows 10 being so new, it's going to take a while before every new major game has a DX12 code-path. With Windows 10 being a free upgrade to Windows 7/8/8.1 owners, there should be almost no reasons why major AAA developers will not make DX12 games in 2016. Fingers crossed.

Snafuh

Mar 16, 2015
RS, you can't judge the ability to code video games based on some benchmarks. Mad Max runs fine but you can't say other devs can't code because their games don't run with 60fps on a 280x or because they don't support SLI/CF.

with massive DX11 API draw call bottlenecks
How do you come to this conclusion? Unity uses less draw calls than previous AC games thanks to smart batching

People have to stop throwing around with buzzwords when they discuss APIs or game code in general.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Well the game has xbox 360 looking graphics, I hope it runs good on any 2007 to present PC.
I bet my old q9550 and xfire 6870's will run this games at 60fps @ 1080p. The way the game looks it should.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
RS, you can't judge the ability to code video games based on some benchmarks. Mad Max runs fine but you can't say other devs can't code because their games don't run with 60fps on a 280x or because they don't support SLI/CF.

When a game scales well with CPU and GPU performance, and it runs fairly brand agnostic on AMD/Intel CPUs and NV/AMD GPUs, it's a well coded game. It doesn't get more clear.

How do you come to this conclusion? Unity uses less draw calls than previous AC games thanks to smart batching

I am not going to turn this thread into proving how AC Unity was one of the worst optimized PC games of last year. The developer even went out of his way to blame AMD for the poor performance in this title despite the game running like garbage on all platforms, including NV cards and consoles:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/assassins-creed-unity-not-running-well-on-amd-hardware.html

"According to our source, the problem with Assassin's Creed Unity is that the game is issuing tens of thousands of draw calls -- up to 50,000 and beyond, in some cases. This is precisely the kind of operation that Mantle and DirectX 12 are designed to handle, but DirectX 11 -- even 11.2 -- isn't capable of efficiently processing that many calls at once. It's a fundamental limit of the API and it kicks in harshly in ways that adding more CPU cores simply can't help with."

That game has received so many patches, it's ridiculous.

People have to stop throwing around with buzzwords when they discuss APIs or game code in general.

If you read on AC Unity and Project CARS, the draw calls limitations have been disclosed by the developers themselves. This has been beaten to death.

So yes, we absolutely can gauge which games are poorly optimized from benchmarks. It doesn't take a Masters in Computer Science to notice it. Getting sub-30 fps at 1080P in ARK Survival on a 980Ti or Ubisoft blaming AMD for AC's performance and then spending 6 months "magically" improving performance in the game for everyone or NFS Shift 2 magically gaining 45% in performance on AMD cards are all clear examples and universally recognized as horrible PC programming.

I am pretty sure more than 95% of PC gamers would agree that games like AC Unity were horribly optimized at launch for their given level of hardware requirements vs. graphics quality. Sure, there will always be some defenders of the franchisee that cannot see eye-to-eye objectively. I am sure someone out there believes that Batman AK was a well-optimized PC game at launch. :biggrin:

Also, in 2015, it's basicaly universally accepted by the majority of the PC community that DX11 is a garbage API that has held back the potential of PC hardware for years, and DX12 will fix the major draw calls issue of the DX11 API. Why do you think there has been a push towards lower-level APIs like Mantle, DX12 and Vulkan, because it's fun or something, or these firms love wasting $ on hype? No, it's because DX11 has been a major bottleneck for next generation games.

There are so many articles on this topic.

"The Inner Circle – a collection of Xbox One gamers who hunt down the latest and greatest, news, interviews & rumors on the xbox one platform – featured in their latest podcast Brad Wardell who shared some really interesting information about DirectX 12 and its capabilities. DX12 Is Able to Handle 600K Draw Calls, 600% Performance Increase Achieved on AMD GPUs.

Marketing chose 40% increase slogan as real gains were too unbelievable for the masses to digest. Future Xbox cpu bound exclusives DX12 games to have these gains however dx12 games initially 30% gains as they transition from Dx11 to full new dx12 game engines using esram etc."
~ DSO Gaming

For ARK Survival, a small indie developer, moving from DX11 to DX12 is a 20% performance gain.

Without a doubt we can conclude that the sooner PC developers adopt DX12 for future games and ditch the outdated DX11 API, the better. And I bet once we see next generation GPUs with 1-1.5TB/sec memory bandwidth, even more robust Asynchronous Compute/Shader architectures, DX12 is really going to show its muscle/benefits.

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It seems like some of the newer AAA title games are pretty well threaded. Is that a console effect? DX11? At any rate, it's welcome here.

Feb 19, 2009
It seems like some of the newer AAA title games are pretty well threaded. Is that a console effect? DX11? At any rate, it's welcome here.

AAA titles have to work with very weak hardware on consoles, so they have to optimize it to extract peak performance.

Open world post apoc, awesome stuff (big fan of the movies too, the first two were called Road Warrior in the states), on my list to grab asap.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Careful now, too many games well optimized like this and you won't need to upgrade every 6 months, thus murdering Nvidia's profits. :awe:

Reactions: kawi6rr

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
AAA titles have to work with very weak hardware on consoles, so they have to optimize it to extract peak performance.

Open world post apoc, awesome stuff (big fan of the movies too, the first two were called Road Warrior in the states), on my list to grab asap.

you mean the second one ;) First movie was Mad Max; second Road Warrior; third was Mad Max beyond the Thunderdome ;)

Fun part in Mad Max released in the states; they thought Mel's accent was too strong for the US market and dubbed it over. Wasn't until I came to the UK did I hear undubbed version which is a trip to me still :D

Its actually not that bad lol.

Feb 19, 2009
I see someone's a post-apoc fan! :D

ps. I thought The Postman & Waterworld was a great movie, can't believe that movie bombed.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Well the game has xbox 360 looking graphics, I hope it runs good on any 2007 to present PC.

Yes, is that why MGS V also runs as well as Mad Max, has similarly impressive GPU scaling/CPU utilization/scaling? MGS V has mediocre graphics for a PC game but is nowhere near as well optimized as Mad Max is.

MGS V is also pretty damn well optimized compared to all the recent crapfest.

Hurrah!

I don't think so. Have you seen the graphics and CPU optimization?

Barely 50% CPU load on a Core i3-2100 and less than 30% load on a Core i7 2600K? Also, take a look at that game's graphics. It's bottoming out in low to mid 30s at 1600P on cards like 780Ti/980 but looks mediocre. The foliage, shadows, lightning is so outdated.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37674290&postcount=16

Careful now, too many games well optimized like this and you won't need to upgrade every 6 months, thus murdering Nvidia's profits. :awe:

:D

NV has a secret weapon - UE4-based games full of GW features, that don't support multi-GPUs and will embrace PhysX as the underlying physics engine.

With your 780Ti though you can safely skip this generation. I think a flagship 16nm HBM2 GPU could last until the end of PS4/XB1 generation.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
At last a game like God ordered!
Even the lowest tier can manage to enjoy the game!

I will prefer this.Instead Metal Gear who looks better for.consoles...

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
OMG a company that uses the technology they spend more then a decade on to actually do something?
What is this world coming to...

If by "do something" you mean "cripple everything except the newest high-end hardware from that company while providing little to no actual benefit to the consumer beyond spending $650+ a year to get 60FPS at 1080p..."

Reactions: kawi6rr

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
beyond spending $650+ a year to get 60FPS at 1080p..."

It's up to you to be able to live with lower than ultra settings and everything enabled.

You are not forced to follow every trend there is you know.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
It's up to you to be able to live with lower than ultra settings and everything enabled.

You are not forced to follow every trend there is you know.

You're missing the point. Actually, not missing; more like intentionally ignoring, considering how much you cut out from that post.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Kepler is doing well in this and MGS V. But according to certain people, NVIDIA is not optimizing for it anymore and ignoring it.

NVIDIA is not optimizing for it anymore and ignoring it . . . . when it suits them. Witcher III big deal, big drumming up, big Nvidia features, big backlash. These 2 nope.

Feb 19, 2009
Kepler is doing well in this and MGS V. But according to certain people, NVIDIA is not optimizing for it anymore and ignoring it.

Kepler does just fine, in games that NV is not involved with during development.

I've tried to find some neutral games where a 980 is in front by 25-50% of a 780Ti but I can't find any. It only happens in GameWorks titles.