Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 240 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It should be important to keep in mind what it means to spoil something. Spoil means to ruin or become rotten. Saying "Ned gets decapitated" before it happens is a spoiler. So is saying "I'm sure glad Tyrion survives the end of season 3" before it happens. Referencing something in the past could be a spoiler if it's a key point that's maybe being taken out of order in the show story line. But to say "I wish there had been pig riding" is innocuous and a "detail" that spoils neither show nor book.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I was not questioning your post about pig riding, but the general question as to why people would be posting in both threads?

because I like talking about the tv show? :(

I don't think I've dropped any spoilers, assuming we don't count generic world history/background information as spoilers.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular, just a funny picture to me when people start complaining about trivial things in life.

While I'm sorry to hear about your illness, GoT spoilers sound like the least of your problems.

I'm not really sure if I even believe you. If I was in that situation, I would not be giving two shits about GoT in general.

I don't care what you think. I left my apt. twice last week .Once for the doctors and once to food shop. Watching tv is pretty much all I have left. So ruining my favorite show makes people dickheads. After 14 years in this forum most people know I wouldn't post that if it weren't real.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular, just a funny picture to me when people start complaining about trivial things in life.

While I'm sorry to hear about your illness, GoT spoilers sound like the least of your problems.

I'm not really sure if I even believe you. If I was in that situation, I would not be giving two shits about GoT in general.

He posted a thread about it a while back, kidney cancer that spread to his spine.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Davos was the only one with Melissandre when that happened. He definitely knows about the vagina shadow assassins.

yep. he was the one watching it ooze from her...person.

to be fair, i'm not sure he knows what it did after its birth, just that somehow, renley is now dead. Though he knows Stannis made that happen, so I don't know, I guess he does know the role of vagina assassin.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I don't care what you think. I left my apt. twice last week .Once for the doctors and once to food shop. Watching tv is pretty much all I have left. So ruining my favorite show makes people dickheads. After 14 years in this forum most people know I wouldn't post that if it weren't real.

More than one person agrees with you. I stopped coming in here because it was non stop. Now I selectively read two or three peoples posts in here because I have been shut in for a few weeks because of surgery though nowhere near as tough as yours man.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Wheeee! Look at me! I read the books and want to wink and nudge instead of discussing it in the book thread! This thread makes me feel important because I know things people are interested in!
I stayed out of this thread for weeks because I was waiting for someone else to finish season 3 before we watched season 4 together. Now that we are caught up I am reading this thread (still have a ton left to go) and the things you said earlier were outright indefensible.

You're like that idiot who came into the movies thread and told two people who hadn't yet started season 2 that he hopes they "finally" kill a Lannister in season 3. I had to watch Bron fight for Tyrion's life without tension. I knew he survived the attempt on his life at the Battle of Blackwater. I knew Sansa wouldn't push Joffery off the platform. I knew Ned wouldn't kill Jamie in Fleabottom. It spoiled a TON.

Then some asshole had to share a screenshot of a GRRM tweet on G+ where he said "You're welcome" only hours after the episode aired, as if that doesn't spoil that they will be killing the most hated character in that episode. That's exactly the same kind of spoiler you gave those ITT. TPAD.

YOU are the child for acting like that kind of thing isn't a spoiler. Go back to whatever part of the forum you frequented before you found this thread and stay out of this place. Until then, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I didnt take it as Tywin saying the Lannisters are broke. I took it as the city is broke.

They aren't. They've lent much money to the crown during Robert's reign and that's mentioned to Ned Stark when he becomes Hand. But on top of that they then had to fight a war which costs lots so their current monetary reserves must be stretched thin. To answer an earlier question, the BluRay features on House Lannister talk about how Casterly Rock is built on top of the largest gold mine in Westeros. So with time they'll recoup. But right now they're stretched thin and hence the difficulties with funding Joffrey's wedding and the concerns with the money the crown owes to the Iron Bank.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
because I like talking about the tv show? :(

I don't think I've dropped any spoilers, assuming we don't count generic world history/background information as spoilers.

I wasn't addressing it to you. I was addressing it in general since about 75 percent of threads are people speculating on or hoping about what will happen.

I would think that would be more interesting in the book thread.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One thing the show doesn't really cover is how the Lannisters get their money. Tywin and Tyrion complain in the show about the cost of the wedding and the debt they accrued over the years, to the point of having the Tyrells pay for the wedding. Yet, they have the resources to pay everybody off at will.

I guess it's just like real life politics - it's just a bunch of numbers on paper being moved around.

I think it will be revealed that Tywin and the Lannisters are, essentially, the Donald Trump of Westeros. The fortune they posses is mostly by reputation and purely bound in debt. This is why I assume that Tywin was in cahoots Oleana to kill Joffrey--he loses no control over the throne, yet gains massive debt relief and a strong alliance with the Tyrells.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
They aren't. They've lent much money to the crown during Robert's reign and that's mentioned to Ned Stark when he becomes Hand. But on top of that they then had to fight a war which costs lots so their current monetary reserves must be stretched thin. To answer an earlier question, the BluRay features on House Lannister talk about how Casterly Rock is built on top of the largest gold mine in Westeros. So with time they'll recoup. But right now they're stretched thin and hence the difficulties with funding Joffrey's wedding and the concerns with the money the crown owes to the Iron Bank.

Thank you that is a good post.

And techs I agree 100% with constant vigilance on this thread. Nothing from the books.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Blankslate is playacting his naivete when he posted details about the wedding and added "Interesting circumstantial evidence to think about" rather slyly (post 5779) when he has read the books and is frequenting the spoilers thread.

The fool and the necklace was mentioned here
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36261524&postcount=5205

and Lady Oleana was mentioned fiddling with a necklace here
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36261609&postcount=5207
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36260917&postcount=5180

Posts 5204, 5405, and 5406 run the subjects together

Sorry, but you seem to be indicating that I should assume people in here are oblivious idiots and should only refer to the most general things about the show.

Me glad Joffrey deaded.
Sansa so purty, but actress 2 tall

As for what I have spoken about in the spoilers allowed thread I haven't seen anyone post anything about those things in any post here within the past week. Which is when I started perusing this forum thread again with the start of this season.

I don't think anyone will either talk, in this thread, about what I posted about in the spoiler thread either.
Because those things are entirely different things than what is being discussed in the T.V. series.

I haven't fully read the books in several years aside from book 5.
So I'm watching the show and relearning things that I've forgotten things that I might not have caught when I read the novels.

TDLR: solely for you bononos
Redacted super secret squirrel spoiler stuff

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Anyway, in one of the earlier seasons, they made a big point of how poison was a woman's weapon. Seeing as how that was made as such a general statement, I'm guessing that any male suspects are innocent (Prince Oberyn and the fool)? I'm guessing it was either Sansa or the Tyrell's. They seemed to show Sansa a lot more on screen than the older Tyrell lady, and I don't think it would make sense for the Tyrell's to do it until the marriage was consummated. Also, with the mention of "like cutting off Ned Stark's head" and then the offensive "battle" re-enactment .... it would seem fitting. On the other hand, I don't think Sansa could have pulled it off, and if she did, certainly it wasn't alone.
They also were inferring that Cersei poisoned Jon Aryn. She, again, was going to poison herself and her OTHER son if the city were sacked. She lamented losing control of Joffery and hates the Tyrells. She loses the bad son who was out of control and nothing else by framing the Tyrells. It also gets her out of her wedding to Loras. She even gets to frame her hated brother, which she immediately accuses. Her statement that she was still the queen even after the wedding cements it: Mommy did it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
I think it will be revealed that Tywin and the Lannisters are, essentially, the Donald Trump of Westeros. The fortune they posses is mostly by reputation and purely bound in debt. This is why I assume that Tywin was in cahoots Oleana to kill Joffrey--he loses no control over the throne, yet gains massive debt relief and a strong alliance with the Tyrells.

the lannisters literally have gold mines at home. it's the crown that's heavily in debt, to tywin and especially the iron bank of bravos. the tyrells have kicked in 50% of the wedding cost and a large contribution to the ongoing war, but that does nothing for the years of debt the crown had accumulated under robert, joffrey and little finger.

i find it very unlikely tywin was involved in joffrey's assassination. he does everything he can to protect his family's interests, and if he thinks that means finally killing joffrey himself he would have done so under different, more controlled circumstances. he certainly would have an ideal party to blame, dovetailing into another round of continent-wide manipulation. as it is now, he has 1 dead lannister and another going on trial for murdering the king - not tywin's style.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
They also were inferring that Cersei poisoned Jon Aryn. She, again, was going to poison herself and her OTHER son if the city were sacked. She lamented losing control of Joffery and hates the Tyrells. She loses the bad son who was out of control and nothing else by framing the Tyrells. It also gets her out of her wedding to Loras. She even gets to frame her hated brother, which she immediately accuses. Her statement that she was still the queen even after the wedding cements it: Mommy did it.

If so are they setting up Cersei to replace Joffrey as the most hated character?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
One thing I didn't understand about the episode was while the dwarfs were doing a mockery of the war, Tyrion says to his helper "Pay each of them 20 gold when this is done, we'll have to find another way to thank the King."

For their humiliation. As a dwarf he obviously sympathizes.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I was not questioning your post about pig riding, but the general question as to why people would be posting in both threads?

But, since you raised it, why would you post a spoiler for someone who had not read the books? Isn't that ruining the book experience for them?

Am I only allowed to choose what thread I post in? If you haven't read the books, but are watching the show..that kind of defeats the purpose. Its not like the show is leaving out major things. I also didn't mention anything that happens in the future. Regardless of the magnitude.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Jamie was carrying a very suspicious item during the wedding... :hmm:

112642-Jaime-Lannister-holding-coffee-Z7Cd.png

and he regrew his hand. maybe it's not Jamie at all! :eek:

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
there goes my theory of Jamie being a time-traveling face dancer

omg quit posting book spoilers!!!

What are you going to reveal next?!? The fact that valyrian steel needs the spice for its smelting?!

Or the fact that Varys is actually the Kwisatz Haderach?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU KEEP POSTING SPOILERS AND RUINING THE SHOW FOR OTHER PEOPLE. IN FACT YOU ARE KILLING THE THREAD AS ITS NOW ONLY A FEW PEOPLE WHO POST.
:mad:

j/k

Last edited: