Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 197 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
I don't think it was that bad of a chance, considering the little screen time he got before this season. And, the fact that the original actor looked nothing like Daario was described in the book.

I guess the change isn't as big as I was thinking, the clothes are still the same, it's just that the new actor doesn't have long or exotic hair.

DaarioComparison.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I guess the change isn't as big as I was thinking, the clothes are still the same, it's just that the new actor doesn't have long or exotic hair.

DaarioComparison.jpg

In the book, he had long curly hair that was dyed blue, a 3 pronged blue beard and a gold mustache IIRC. So, neither really fits the description, but it doesn't matter much. He was supposed to look more loud and pompous, as was the way of his countrymen.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I don't think it was that bad of a chance, considering the little screen time he got before this season. And, the fact that the original actor looked nothing like Daario was described in the book.
Even if he had less screen time I think the massive exposure of GoT would be worth it. I expect would be more since he's an established character, he was already in a few scenes in the first episode.

New actor seems ok, just wasn't expecting it. Where was the mountain in the first episode? I didn't even realize he was in it...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Even if he had less screen time I think the massive exposure of GoT would be worth it. I expect would be more since he's an established character, he was already in a few scenes in the first episode.

New actor seems ok, just wasn't expecting it. Where was the mountain in the first episode? I didn't even realize he was in it...

I don't think he appeared, they just mentioned him. It is funny they are on the third actor for that character now, but honestly I can't really remember what the original guy looked like anyway.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I actually think the differences they do are GRRM approved, and a lot of stuff he would do differently.

I liked the new episode (minus the character change). Also, having read the books, there are things I am so looking forward to!

Also, Arya's story is translating so well to the show. I don't know if it the aging of the character or the actress or a combination of both, but it is working. I love it.

Yeah, I've come to like Arya more and more as the story has progressed. nearly all of the Stark stories have been rather lame--even when Rob spent about 5 episodes last season deciding to move on Casterly Rock, then deciding to do it again, then planning to do it, then deciding to do it, then again...etc. Slowed everything down.

The Bran kid, Sansa...I just don't care about any of those

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think he appeared, they just mentioned him. It is funny they are on the third actor for that character now, but honestly I can't really remember what the original guy looked like anyway.

KT

3rd actor? Where was the 2nd? I only remember him ever being shown in 1 episode, maybe 2 scenes at most--When he fought with his brother at the joust or sword fight or whatever it was early in season 1?

:hmm:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, I've come to like Arya more and more as the story has progressed. nearly all of the Stark stories have been rather lame--even when Rob spent about 5 episodes last season deciding to move on Casterly Rock, then deciding to do it again, then planning to do it, then deciding to do it, then again...etc. Slowed everything down.

The Bran kid, Sansa...I just don't care about any of those

Sansa is incredibly lame, but really the epitome of naivety that Ned Stark also had coming to the capital. Bran's is at least partly interesting, him being a worg and all. It gets a little better. Arya in the books was a good story, but her being so young kind of made it not as interesting as in the show. And, if you consider Jon a Stark, his story is pretty grand and epic. I think the show writers knew what was going to happen in the end, but that is just how they are setting up the scenes with Jon. He really feels like a main character in the show and someone vastly important, which I didn't really get in the books
until later and the cliff hanger was painful...

Mar 10, 2005
interesting, the first cold open on game of thrones. if it was to detach the scene from the rest of the episode, it worked.

grey worm calls dario by name, which struck me as very heavy-handed by the filmmakers, especially since he'd just been referred to. the danerys story continues to stutter and crawl, leaving me wondering if 99% of it didn't make the cut from the book.

shae started out as a very interesting character, but was left to wither. the character's inevitable murder feels way overdue.

arya's story, possibly the best, continues to advance but feels kinda easy, since it's clear she grows into some xena/ninja hybrid. i think being reunited with her needle was unnecessary, despite it symbolizing her violent progress. sentimental ties to the past from out of nowhere are heavy-handed and counter-productive in a story of loss.

i thought rory mccann performed really well in this episode. i wish there was more character development from the both of them, particularly the hound with his bad guy/slightly good guy/wtf thing going on.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
3rd actor? Where was the 2nd? I only remember him ever being shown in 1 episode, maybe 2 scenes at most--When he fought with his brother at the joust or sword fight or whatever it was early in season 1?

He was in more episodes as I recall, but he did not have a lot to do. I think Arya saw him at the jail.

Arya's story is probably my favourite right now. I hope the assassin guy shows up again at some point (it does seems like Arya will eventually go his way) as he was an awesome character, even though he was only around for a very brief period.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
interesting, the first cold open on game of thrones. if it was to detach the scene from the rest of the episode, it worked.

grey worm calls dario by name, which struck me as very heavy-handed by the filmmakers, especially since he'd just been referred to. the danerys story continues to stutter and crawl, leaving me wondering if 99% of it didn't make the cut from the book.

shae started out as a very interesting character, but was left to wither. the character's inevitable murder feels way overdue.

arya's story, possibly the best, continues to advance but feels kinda easy, since it's clear she grows into some xena/ninja hybrid. i think being reunited with her needle was unnecessary, despite it symbolizing her violent progress. sentimental ties to the past from out of nowhere are heavy-handed and counter-productive in a story of loss.

i thought rory mccann performed really well in this episode. i wish there was more character development from the both of them, particularly the hound with his bad guy/slightly good guy/wtf thing going on.

Dany's story is pretty slow in the books as well, but it has the benefit of not having to trudge along with TV filler so the audience doesn't "forget" about her.

The Hound is also someone I think they didn't fully flesh out, which is kind of sad. His character is far from just a "bad guy employed by Joffrey with a good streak towards the end." He hates the hypocrisy that knights represent and is always quick to correct anyone that would refer to him as "Ser". Said hypocrisy is epitomized in his brother, the Mountain; Despite being a knight, he does not protect anyone and rather enjoys torture and violence. While, the Hound does enjoy killing, he isn't one to pretend (or hold the title of) that he protects the weak and innocent, despite doing that on multiple occasions.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I was about 45 minutes into the episode cursing the lack of Sandor and Arya. The ending fixed all that. That duo is now more interesting than Tyrion.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

He was in Season 2, we see him at Harrenhal (the giant, ruined castle) where he is in charge of all the Lannister men until Tywin shows up

it was originally Conan Stevens (7' tall) who played Ser Gregor (the Mountain) in Season 1, then they recast to Ian Whyte (7'1" tall), but now we have Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (only 6'9" tall) in the role, and I can only assume they decided to go this direction (ie a shorter actor for the role of a character that is supposed to be closer to 8 feet tall :p ... although he weighs nearly as much as the Mountain is supposed to...) because he's an Icelandic 'strongman' and likely is a better choice for any action he may or may not be involved in :sneaky:

The Hound is also someone I think they didn't fully flesh out, which is kind of sad. His character is far from just a "bad guy employed by Joffrey with a good streak towards the end." He hates the hypocrisy that knights represent and is always quick to correct anyone that would refer to him as "Ser". Said hypocrisy is epitomized in his brother, the Mountain; Despite being a knight, he does not protect anyone and rather enjoys torture and violence. While, the Hound does enjoy killing, he isn't one to pretend (or hold the title of) that he protects the weak and innocent, despite doing that on multiple occasions.

we've seen him do all of that in the show so far...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
He was in Season 2, we see him at Harrenhal (the giant, ruined castle) where he is in charge of all the Lannister men until Tywin shows up

it was originally Conan Stevens (7' tall) who played Ser Gregor (the Mountain) in Season 1, then they recast to Ian Whyte (7'1" tall), but now we have Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (only 6'9" tall) in the role, and I can only assume they decided to go this direction (ie a shorter actor for the role of a character that is supposed to be closer to 8 feet tall :p ... although he weighs nearly as much as the Mountain is supposed to...) because he's an Icelandic 'strongman' and likely is a better choice for any action he may or may not be involved in :sneaky:

It doesn't matter who plays the Mountain in the coming episodes anyway. Getting the cheapest "big man" they could will serve well enough, as I'm sure he will be unrecognizable.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

He's at Harrenhal when Arya is there picking out the prisoners to torture. Then Tywin talks to him once or twice and he's usually in the background of the shot. I don't recall him being in S3 as he's off leading Lannister forces in battle most of the time (Rob scolds his uncle at Riverrun for not being patient, costing them capturing/killing The Mountain).

Last edited:

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
In the book, he had long curly hair that was dyed blue, a 3 pronged blue beard and a gold mustache IIRC. So, neither really fits the description, but it doesn't matter much. He was supposed to look more loud and pompous, as was the way of his countrymen.

post-20329-Daario-Naharis-Ed-Skrein-Game-tIZ7.jpeg

daario_naharis_by_aennyla-d6mdln6.jpg

Instead of moving closer to the above, theyve gone even more generic, once again. Couldn't they have at least died this guy's hair?

So far:

1. No Strong Belwas
2. No Vargo Hoat & the Bloody Mummers
3. Roose Bolton looks generic. Hard to tell him from any other balding northerner
4. Daario is beyond bland.

While the show has done a lot of things right, I really hate how they have tuned down the more eccentric characters. It takes a lot of the color from the world & the story.

I guess i should be satisfied that Oberyn Martel at least wears more readily identifiable clothing.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Bran's is at least partly interesting, him being a worg and all. It gets a little better. Arya in the books was a good story, but her being so young kind of made it not as interesting as in the show. And, if you consider Jon a Stark, his story is pretty grand and epic. I think the show writers knew what was going to happen in the end, but that is just how they are setting up the scenes with Jon. He really feels like a main character in the show and someone vastly important, which I didn't really get in the books

I think that
all of the Stark children are probably potential wargs (with Jon being second to Bran in talent), it's just that happenstance either separated them from their wolves or they were too concerned with other things unlike Bran who is practically one of the most powerful wargs anywhere.

As for Jon's story he's pretty much the farm boy with the uncertain heritage archetype that exists in many fantasy stories and some movies. However George R.R. Martin being who he is probably is fine poking at that archetype and exploding it.
Which makes me wonder how Jon's exceptional potential as a warg is going to be represented if it turns out that a popular theory of how he is going to (even if just temporarily) avoid death after being Caesared by fellow Nights Watch members actually turns out to be accurate.

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (only 6'9" tall) in the role, and I can only assume they decided to go this direction (ie a shorter actor for the role of a character that is supposed to be closer to 8 feet tall ... although he weighs nearly as much as the Mountain is supposed to...) because he's an Icelandic 'strongman' and likely is a better choice for any action he may or may not be involved in

It might be because of acting ability is now a consideration.
Events conspire to have him in a confrontation with a newly introduced character in season 4. A short snippet of that duel was in one of the season 4 trailers

Remember the coin given to Arya by Jaqen? Needle matters because it is that symbol of ties to her past and
in the books the fact that it is a sentimental tie to her past becomes test for her when she seeks out the training Jaqen has.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
While, the Hound does enjoy killing, he isn't one to pretend (or hold the title of) that he protects the weak and innocent, despite doing that on multiple occasions.

He reminds me of Han and Chewbacca but in one character. Almost as strong as a wookie and would like people to think that he's a heartless mercenary when his actions at times run counter to that archetype.

a person who has committed good and evil acts, but one who isn't as savage as his brother.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
He reminds me of Han and Chewbacca but in one character. Almost as strong as a wookie and would like people to think that he's a heartless mercenary when his actions at times run counter to that archetype.

a person who has committed good and evil acts, but one who isn't as savage as his brother.

What I liked about his character was that, despite doing evil things, he refused to take part in the hypocrisy that would brand him a protector while doing them. So many of the knights and lords view themselves as above everyone, but act in the most vile ways. The Hound is fiercely loyal (thus the name), an incredible fighter, loves killing, but won't particularly be a bad guy.

The show really profits with the casting of him being so great. Rory McCann is phenomenal.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I'd like to say a very sarcastic "thank you" to the arseholes who continually post spoilers in this thread.

I think the mods should just change the title to say there are spoilers by those who have read the book.

Too bad we can't have a spoiler free thread.

Don't bother to respond since I can't come in here anymore due to the thinly veiled spoilers.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Too bad we can't have a spoiler free thread.

Don't bother to respond since I can't come in here anymore due to the thinly veiled spoilers.

The tables will turn soon enough. The author all but admitted that he probably won't finish the books before the last season of GoT is aired.

However, all of the major plot developments that were in the books are in the series and the stories won't be completely the same but they'll be recognizable as different takes on the same story.

I'll still read the books even if I see the series finished first.