Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 169 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Meh, it may not have been the best "finale" but it was a solid show IMO.

As for those predicting who will die next, I thought that by
killing off Rob and Ladies Stark
they'd already massively diverged from the plot of the books. Haven't read the books myself.

I'm looking forward to some serious action with the white walkers next season. Damned things have been around since the first minute of the show and we've still seen little more than a glimpse here and there, aside from Sam's hero moment. :p

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
As for those predicting who will die next, I thought that by
killing off Rob and Ladies Stark
they'd already massively diverged from the plot of the books. Haven't read the books myself.

Nope, that happens in the books as well.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
most of the changes from the books have been small things... merging characters, drawing stuff out that was only hinted at in the books, that sorta stuff.

off the top of my head, the biggest change I can really think of is Arya's storyline. I felt like she kinda disappeared for awhile in the books, but the show has her traipsing all over Westeros ala Forrest Gump. I also feel like Margaery Tyrell has a more prominent role in the tv show, but it helps that she's played by a really phenomenal actress.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Clearly the theme of the episode was to set the stage for next season. For many of the characters it was about the choices they made.

Shae decided to stick with Tyrion. Arya decided to seek revenge. Bran decided to continue his journey. Threons sister decided to go get him back. Stannis decided to go to war against the Walkers, etc, etc.

Ooh, and nary a naked boobie in sight.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Ooh, and nary a naked boobie in sight.

That might be a first for the show. To its detriment if you ask me ;)

My favorite characters thus far are Arya and the Hound. Arya is a badass, plain and simple. The hound is one of the most complex characters in the story . . . can't decide whether I should like him or hate him.

Last edited:

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
The finale overall was decent, but I thought it had a weak ending scene. A shot of danny being admired by he people she freed doesn't really leave me wanting to see what happens next season.

IMO as a non-reader, a more effective end would have been the Stannis scene. Have it cut to all the other lords reading the same message while Stannis is reading it, then end the show with Melisandre burning the note and starring speechlessly into the fire and Stannis asking "what do you see?" In the background.

That wouldve made me want to watch season 4.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I was hoping to see the Hound lay waste to some Frey knights while wearing his dog helmet. :(

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I liked the final episode, although the crowd surfing the slaves was kind of weak, especially compared to previous finales.

Season 1 ended with dragons, season 2 with the undead army, so I was expecting something magical with maybe hints of revenge
Lady Stoneheart.

I also expected Balon to die. Melisandre did predict Robb, Balon, and Joffrey. I thought we'd get to see him go.

Most disappointing is as usual Shae. Did Varys think he could buy her off? As if whores do it for money [/sarcasm].

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
You realize they're probably going to drag out next season so that Joffrey's wedding isn't until the finale, right? Ugh

very unlikely,
too much happens after the wedding for it to be our typical Episode Nine

Where did you get that idea?

he probably got confused when Ramsay murdered a whole bunch of his own men to trick Theon into believing he was also ironborn and was there to rescue Theon in order to gain Theon's trust and to eventually spill his guts and tell Ramsay everything.

It's funny because Edmure didn't get laid, that poor bastard!

pretty sure he did get some action; Walder Frey needs his daughter to pop out a son in order to completely gain control of the Riverlands, it's the reason Edmure is imprisoned instead of killed

the situation is not unlike how the Lannisters are still messing with Sansa in that they want Tyrion to get her knocked up and with a son to secure a claim to power in the North

most of the changes from the books have been small things... merging characters, drawing stuff out that was only hinted at in the books, that sorta stuff.

off the top of my head, the biggest change I can really think of is Arya's storyline. I felt like she kinda disappeared for awhile in the books, but the show has her traipsing all over Westeros ala Forrest Gump. I also feel like Margaery Tyrell has a more prominent role in the tv show, but it helps that she's played by a really phenomenal actress.

I think you might need to revisit the books, because Arya's story really isn't that different from the books, the only difference so far is that she killed a guard with the coin trick to escape Harrenhal and instead the show decided to not have that scene happen until now, which might also be merging a later scene from the books.

And while its not made as clear as the show, Margaery and the Tyrells under the Queen of Thorns are definitely hinted at as being a respectable power players in the books what with how unafraid/intimidated she is of Joffrey, how quickly they were able to recover from siding with Renly after his demise, and the whole flooding King's Landing with food and flowers to let the people know who was taking care of them.

itts the first MAN she killed MAN not a boy

FFS it was telegraphed from a mile away

yes, and I was making it clear to Zeze that it was not her "first kill" as he suggested... and I thought I had telegraphed that from 1000 miles away

Last edited:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
care for some sausage?

30a6kja.gif

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So who should Westeros fear more? The White Walkers or daenerys targaryen??

Why would they fear her? The entire series is clearly setting her up as their salvation from the dead + white walkers which can only be killed with fire and Dragon Glass.

It's also how her family attained their rule long in the past.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why would they fear her? The entire series is clearly setting her up as their salvation from the dead + white walkers which can only be killed with fire and Dragon Glass.

Except this is George R Martin, so Dany is just as likely to trip and fall overboard on her way to Westeros. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Because perhaps they don't want to be ruled? Remember she want to "conquer" them. With dragons. Do you have a fire fetish or something? Most people don't like being roasted alive.

Speaking of the dragons, people killed dragons once. Any reason they couldn't do it again?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Don't read this.

Anyone think Aegon will be introduced at the end of next season, or will they wait until season 5? Presuming that episode 9 is the shitting gold incident and escape, that would leave the finale, one episode would be plenty of time for Pentos right?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

In the books Arya did travel with Gendry and Hotpie up the rivers, was intercepted by the brotherhood, escaped, recaptured by the Hound, and flees the wedding with him. It's accurate in that regard.

Margery definitely has a more prominent on screen role in the TV series vs the books. In the books she's described as being much loved by the people and it's certainly implied that she and Lady Olenna are astute power players.

The whole idea of Yara (Asha) Greyjoy sailing to save Theon is flat out made up though.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Don't read this.

Anyone think Aegon will be introduced at the end of next season, or will they wait until season 5? Presuming that episode 9 is the shitting gold incident and escape, that would leave the finale, one episode would be plenty of time for Pentos right?

I doubt it. The timelines don't really work anyway if they're going to introduce him via Tyrion. I think the big deal about next season's finale will be Jon Snow being elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

They did a great job on the Red Wedding, but I thought the finale was a little flat this season. The whole Varys/Shae conversation was just...a waste of good screen time, imo. I really thought they'd end the episode with
Lady Stoneheart

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
In the books Arya did travel with Gendry and Hotpie up the rivers, was intercepted by the brotherhood, escaped, recaptured by the Hound, and flees the wedding with him. It's accurate in that regard.

I need to reread the books one of these days... I don't remember that at all.

I remember Arya hooking up with the brotherhood and escaping, and then there's a blank spot in my mind, and then (book spoilers)
she off's playing IRL assassin's creed.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Because perhaps they don't want to be ruled? Remember she want to "conquer" them. With dragons. Do you have a fire fetish or something? Most people don't like being roasted alive.

Speaking of the dragons, people killed dragons once. Any reason they couldn't do it again?
She'd be taking back her rightful place. They didn't "conquer" the first time. They used their dragons to maintain their rule though. The mad kings went mad due to incest due to trying to maintain pure blood through incest due to not all offspring having dragon blood (her brother, for example).

She would be saving them or ignoring them. If they don't want her as their ruler, she could just let the White Walkers finish them off and then start a new kingdom.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
She'd be taking back her rightful place. They didn't "conquer" the first time. They used their dragons to maintain their rule though. The mad kings went mad due to incest due to trying to maintain pure blood through incest due to not all offspring having dragon blood (her brother, for example).

She would be saving them or ignoring them. If they don't want her as their ruler, she could just let the White Walkers finish them off and then start a new kingdom.

Uhhh, yeah they kinda did.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Targaryen

Aegon aspired to unite the seven Westerosi kingdoms under one ruler, and he was determined to be that ruler. A hundred years after the Doom, Aegon set forth from Dragonstone with his sister/wives Rhaenys and Visenya, their dragons, and a small force, landing at the mouth of the Blackwater Rush and beginning the Wars of Conquest. During his campaigns, Aegon was anointed king by the High Septon in Oldtown, leading to the unification of the Seven Kingdoms under Tlargaryen rule from the Iron Throne, starting a dynasty that lasted nearly 300 years. The area where the Targaryens had begun their conquest became the site of their new capitol, King's Landing.

More detail here:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Wars_of_Conquest

The War of Conquest was the campaign in which Aegon I conquered Westeros. Supported by his two sisters, their dragons and a small army of soldiers, the Targaryens subdued six of the Seven Kingdoms.

Or they could let her destroy the White Walkers and then turn on her. Or they could figure out what Obsidian does for themselves. This is Game of Thrones, you're expecting a LOTR-ish heroic final battle where everyone beats the big bad, kisses and makes up?

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
She'd be taking back her rightful place. They didn't "conquer" the first time.

They did conquer. Harrenhal was destroyed by dragons during their conquest. In their conquest, they also roasted the lords tried to stop them at the Field of Fire where they unleashed all three dragons. I think both events were mentioned in the show.

The Harrens were wiped out to be replaced by the Tullys in the Riverlands and the Greyjoys in the Iron Islands. The Gardeners were wiped out and replaced by the Tyrells. Durrendons were also wiped out and replaced by the Baratheons.