Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 219 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
blankslate is talking about episode 2, which aired the previous evening. His response is to someone that just finished watching episode 1 (therefore, next episode = 2). He isn't spoiling anything.

You are the most oblivious individual in this thread.
Hardly

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
blankslate is talking about episode 2, which aired the previous evening. His response is to someone that just finished watching episode 1 (therefore, next episode = 2). He isn't spoiling anything.

You are the most oblivious individual in this thread.

I really wish you all would stop quoting him.

KT

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
I think Tyrian was replaced by lady Tyrell when she first appeared. Plus, Rigg's accent isn't terrible and distracting like Dinklage's.

I really don't understand why they made (Tyrion) Dinklage do that accent but, it is the most distracting think about the show to me. His father and siblings have Americanized accents - why did the choose to make him sound more European?

Emma Peel is always great. :D

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
As an observer for the last few days, you really are the problem in this thread and I don't think anyone wants you here.
I like blankslate, I'd found a voice of reason I'd thought.

Zinn seems to be taking over for a couple earlier greifers that went away.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
As an observer for the last few days, you really are the problem in this thread and I don't think anyone wants you here.

It might be a senility problem - benefit of the doubt - but it could be. The perils of the aging internet. :\

edit: How many retirement homes are in Clearwater FLA?

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

Yup.

Finally for the first time ever in ~12+ years I managed to find a reason to put someone in my ignore list.

Way to go!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
True Lady Oleana's scenes have all been good but I think that Tyrion as a character is suffering having been made to submit to plans he isn't quite fond of by Lord Tywin.

Now he has for the 2nd time in the series been accused of attempted or actual murder.

This time by his own family no less. While observant watchers have been pointing out possible shens involving Sansa's necklace and Lady Oleana's fussing over Sansa and the necklace's appearance right afterwards.

Lady Oleana is Tyrion's match and then some in terms of verbal wit. Now they're both apparently involved in a new plot development.

As for acting ability of the people playing the characters yes Diana Rigg has better control of her accent but Peter Dinklage isn't a slouch when it comes to acting. As for his accent I just chalk it up to an affectation of the shows version of Tyrion.

Oh I think Dinklage has great chops, and he's a super witty dude in real life. But that accent is just turrible. :D

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
But that accent is just turrible.

Maybe I'm just too happy to see an adaptation of the story that I've imagined in my head for some years come to life (as it were) as an HBO show that is generally excellent and not an unmitigated disaster that series based on books can be.

Because of that I'm able to ignore it I guess.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
LOL, MENSA level. Yet you can't figure out when to shut up. Thanks for stereotyping the "smart" elderly people in Clearwater.
Never thought of myself as Elderly to begin with.

Thanks very little.

I guess half my problem is my wife has never read the books, she lays beside me every Sunday when they are on, and still seems to follow it just fine 99% of the time even when I give her no spoilers at all.

Somehow she figures this stuff out a lot faster than some that have never read the books I guess and just take it for granted in a general discussion.

I guess she's pretty bright.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Quick question. I've been rewatching season 1 and I was wondering; Did the witch deliberately infect Drogo's wound after he got knicked in a duel to make him sick in the first place? I can't be sure if the Witch only sabotaged his "recovery", or if she poisoned the wound in the first place.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Quick question. I've been rewatching season 1 and I was wondering; Did the witch deliberately infect Drogo's wound after he got knicked in a duel to make him sick in the first place? I can't be sure if the Witch only sabotaged his "recovery", or if she poisoned the wound in the first place.
I'd have to rewatch that one, but based on the fact Dany made the decision later to pay her child for the his recovery, that the witch honestly tried to heal him first rather than poison him.

Was an infection more or less to start with if I recall it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

She fesses up to killing him in the final episode or two; she saw it as saving the world from a Dothraki onslaught. Whether she poisoned it herself or just helped an already present infection along isn't revealed.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
well, it's another discussion, but it's easy to dismiss all of stephen king.

And no, I haven't read fantasy since I was 12 or so, so perhaps I missed something. Either way, I don't care about it at all. Even the excerpts from these books that I have read--it is always plot first and plot only. the writing is not compelling. That is fine, these plots are too involved to be distracted by clever writing.

Too much truly good writing out there to spend time on this stuff. I don't read simply for plot--I read for the command and use of language.

I absolutely agree with you about King and whatever little I have read in this genre.

Please feel free to recommend books you have liked ... like you. ..I love writing style...

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

It has been a point of argument in a lot of places, including here in this thread as well if I'm not mistaken. It is a little weird because in this case even the book readers™ couldn't agree with each other on interpretation of some dialogues regarding this.

As from the strictly tv show point of view, we were only shown that speech from the witch mentioning how she really hated them all (including the Khaleesi and the baby inside her, although she was the one who saved her) and never really cared about them at all. So to me, while she never actually admitted to planning it, it is really hard to think otherwise.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but how does the show Vikings compare with GOT?

Very different.

Game of Thrones takes 4 years to tell the story of 1 year.

Vikings let the passage of 4 years take place with the snap of a finger early on in the 2nd season.

Vikings don't take the time to tell a story, they do a quick presentation of what is happening, then they move on to something new. To me it comes across as very disjointed.

I watch Game of Thrones because I want to see how the different characters move forward and deal with their situations and how they interact with everyone else. I watch Vikings in the hope that the show will eventually provide something engaging to follow from one week to the next.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Westeros seems to follow the rule of male-preference primogeniture, so it wouldn't be Cersei but her younger son as he is the next in line by virtue of being (officially) a direct legitimate son of Robert Baratheon.
yes but Tommen isn't of age, and until then Cersei has authority over him and the realm as Queen Regent

and she would hold that position until Tommen comes of age on his 16th nameday

So she is making up for the breaking of guest's rights at the Red Wedding? Possible I guess, but again seems very unlikely to me. Maybe she got worried about the consummation with Joffrey and also worried about the Ciersei/Rose Knight wedding and effectively ended both by doing this. It's possible, but she seems far too smart and calculating not to have a better end game than this.

Of course maybe we just have not seen her actual plan just yet.

KT
I was under the impression that you poison someone at a wedding that way and it could easily be mistaken for an accidental choking and thus no suspicion would arise for any assassination attempt in the first place. The poisoner clearly miscalculated (or failed to calculate it at all) the Cersei/Tyrion dynamic.

Doing it before the consummation assures Joffrey doesn't get to spread his evil seed, and it also keeps Margaery pure and just as elligible to be wed again. If she could go from Renley to Joffrey, why not to Tommen as well ? Granted, its not a flattering trend to be widowed from 2 kings before moving on to your 3rd...

Also, oberyn was not as mega gay as he is in the show. I find it super annoying that he is because it just seems like a play at being controversial and appealing to gay viewers. It comes off as over the top and offensive to gay viewers if you ask me. Maybe a gay person would disagree with me, but that's my opinion. He's like this stereotype of a gay rapist and it just doesn't gel with his character in the book. He's also older than I imagined from the book.
Oberyn is super Bi, not just gay. I took his portrayal on the show to emphasize his boldness, taking whatever he wants if he so desires it, and becomes something of a microcosm of Dornish nature, because the books otherwise tell us very little about him or the Dornish
and thus when he volunteers to fight as Tyrion's champion, it doesn't seem as out of the blue
. And if you didn't read him as being as old as he is, you should probably go back and reread, as he's definitely of the same generation as Ned/Robert/Jaime, and seems to fit that perfectly...

Looks like he grew 3 feet since last season. Hodor has to carry that monstrosity. I noticed he's not piggy back anymore, feet probably drag on the ground...
yeah, makes me wonder if they thought or cared to check parentage of auditioning younger actors; Sansa (Sophie Turner) and Arya (Maisie Williams) are actually pretty close in age (closer than their characters are supposed to be) but Sansa is turning out to be more of a Brienne when she's supposed to be much more of a dainty girl

at any rate, Hodor was never fit enough to begin with to fulfill our MasterBlaster type setup with carrying Bran in a basket on his back, so not too big a loss.

btw- who runs the iron bank?
and what happens if they don't get re-paid??
Iron Bank of Bravos, one of the free cities across the sea. Just have to picture Westeros as sort of analogous to Great Britain, while mainland 'Europe' (known as Essos) is where Danny has been trouncing around, currently sacking slave cities in the south. Basically, Westeros isn't all that powerful in the grand scheme of things, and the Iron Bank has major weight the greater known world.